• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was it real or Recall experience?

• Real

Votes: 325 37.7%
  • Recall Experience

Votes: 537 62.3%

• Total voters

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to do a rewatch after seeing the thread on Arnold quotes. For those that somehow haven't seen it, it is a must watch movie.

So to the point if the thread, Quaid is bored with his life and dying to go to Mars, but his wife (Sharon Stone) is anti going to Mars. Quaid gets roped into going to Recall, a place that does memory implants so can enjoy the vacation without the cost and actually having to go. The Recall associate upsells Quaid on a secret agent package where instead of the memory being a typical vacation, you're instead a secret agent going to Mars. Quaid signs up, but when the Recall experience is to start it goes horribly wrong. Recall staff dump Quaid into a taxi sending him home. Quaid's life is then turned upside down, and one crazy moment after the next until the movie finishes.

So wife is on the team that it's real. Recall experience clearly shown as going bad. I'm on the team that it's fake. When setting up for the Recall experience, he's shown imagery that matches late movie stuff. One of the workers even comments on the finale moment before Arnold is to start. Counter point for team real, is prior to Recall, Quaid has imagery of his love interest on Mars.

So ERA, where do you stand on Total Recall? Real or a fucking awesome Recall experience?

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recall

Blue sky on mars

Everything that happens to him after visiting Recall is as advertised

tomakasatnav

Oct 27, 2017
TOKYO
source.gif

Real

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
How could it be anything but Recall, his entire experience coincides exactly with what he signed up for and starts exactly when he goes in for recall.

Nov 9, 2017
My counterpoint to team real's counterpoint would be that the woman is a celebrity or advertised model or something. I see no way that the recall center is able to exactly recreate the woman in his dreams unless shes a real person in that universe who's prolly on tv or something.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Hey I just watched the original for the first time last night!

It definitely was a recall experience. Literally everything that happened matched too perfectly with what he had requested and what they said they were going to implant into his memories.

The biggest hint was the scientist remarking about a blue sky on Mars being a new thing. That is one heck of a coincidence if it wasn't supposed to be a memory.

sAbobo

Dec 1, 2018
Recall, as much as I want to say real. Even the strongest evidence for real is designed to reach a point where you are left ambigious. Nothing is as strong to counter fading to white, instead of fading to black, for team recall.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How could it be anything but Recall, his entire experience coincides exactly with what he signed up for and starts exactly when he goes in for recall.

While this is true, that's actually what happened in the short story the movie is loosely based on. The joke of the original story is that each thing they try to implant into his mind turns out to actually have been true.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the whole point of the movie is that you're not supposed to be able to make a definitive statement one way or the other.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
About half way through the story it keeps cutting away to show what the bad guys are up to, thus it's not all in his head. If the movie had just been his POV it would be somewhat ambiguous, but you don't have memories of what other people are doing.

..or it could just be shitty film making. 🤷‍♂️

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Paul Verhoeven said that it was Recall, and the bright light at the end was meant to show that Quaid had been lobotomized after it was done.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
It could be real and his desire to revisit his actual previous life is what leads him to describe his desires at recall. So he may have just been describing his memories

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
"His experience is exactly what he requested" or he basically requested what he had already experienced (but forgotten he had)
Like, of course Quaid would ask for a dark haired lady on Mars, and not 'i want a fucking jet ski on the bahamas' when, in the past, he hit it off with that very dark haired lady on Mars.

It could be real and his desire to revisit his actual previous life is what leads him to describe his desires at recall. So he may have just been describing his memories
edit: beaten

Still, team real. Like, what psychopath would request / what crazy company would implant fucking WIFE MURDERING FANTASIES.
Like, wasn't - prior to visiting Recall - Sharon Stone an okayish wife, if a bit dismissive of Quaid's dreams / ambitions?

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This poll needs a third option: not knowing is better

Deleted member 50454

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
About half way through the story it keeps cutting away to show what the bad guys are up to, thus it's not all in his head. If the movie had just been his POV it would be somewhat ambiguous, but you don't have memories of what other people are doing.

Can you not imagine things from other people's perspectives?

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it the other night (it's free on Prime atm) and I think it's recall. The tech aide saying something like "Blue skies on Mars? Wow, they keep getting better!" before the procedure starts really stuck with me as I was watching it.

Oct 27, 2017
Team fake. It was basically what they said would happen.

The only thing that makes it suspicious is the woman he dreamt about being the one in the recall. Then again maybe it is designed where it recreates her from his memory or she is a crush he had or even a celebrity.

Dec 22, 2017

Yeah. I also think his "real life" shown at the beginning seems like a cover. Perfect wife, fancy apartment, but works what appears to be a low level construction job. Its like they made him Barney Rubble.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"His experience is exactly what he requested" or he basically requested what he had already experienced (but forgotten he had)
Like, of course Quaid would ask for a dark haired lady on Mars, and not 'i want a fucking jet ski on the bahamas' when, in the past, he hit it off with that very dark haired lady on Mars.

Still, team real. Like, what psychopath would request / what crazy company would implant fucking WIFE MURDERING FANTASIES.
Like, wasn't - prior to visiting Recall - Sharon Stone an okayish wife, if a bit dismissive of Quaid's dreams / ambitions?

In his supposed real secret agent life he couldn't have remembered seeing a blue sky on mars, yet that is what Recall sold him and that is what he got.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What

How is that shitty filmmaking

Doesn't that just increase the ambiguity? If it was just from Arnold's perspective that would be too obvious. I think if you take that out the balance tips too far one way

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Everything that happens after Recall is completely in Recall. That's why the movie is called Total Recall.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Team Real. While I agree it fits the Recall narrative, the scene with the Recall dude trying to convince him it's a Recall experience honestly wouldn't make any sense in a Recall experience for that matter. And that feat sweat too.

OP
OP
natjjohn

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017

The wife part has crossed my mind in the past when leaned more team real. So he has this experience, and goes home to his wife that was just trying to kill him (that he ultimately killed on Mars). If Recall experience, would potentially put a strain on the relationship with some reduced trust!

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The next time I'm at the dentist I'm going to start thrashing around in the chair and yelling YOU BLEW MY COVER!