• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
shocking, right!

I could normally care less about the armies of the Empire in their silly pantaloons

BUT

I kind of can't not get excited about the prospects of buffing all their artillery and guns to absolutely silly broken levels
She does look super fun. Will be my second campaign for sure. Can't resist that Thunderbarge.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
There was a Q&A on the Total War discord and they just posted the results.

A few interesting tidbits (not an edit: alright this turned into like 60% of the Q&As):
How many Landmarks did you guys add for Patch 5.0 and how many ideas for landmarks do you guys have?
Will: We usually do a handful, I think we added around 6 or 7 this time around? There are two main ways Landmarks are designed really, top-down and bottom-up. Either we start with a bit of inspiration from a book or map source (quite a few landmarks came from seeing a cool name on a map!) or we set out with a design goal and find a landmark to serve that. We implement the functional side then work with the art team to boil down that landmark into a tiny icon (not always easy! I think the Li Temple Landmark in Cathay went through 5 revisions before we were happy!).​
Will there be a visual rework to one of the lores of magic in 5.0?
Ben: Yes, we will be reworking the Lore of Life!​
I've heard that Dwarves are getting a Shield Wall Formation, is this going to be unique to Dwarves, or will other factions get it on certain units as well?
Ben: It is currently unique to Dwarfs. Any other units will require shield animations to be setup to support it.​
It has been widely recognized by the community specially with Dwarf players, that the Age of Reckoning mechanic seems extremely out of place as the core system for a Race that should excel in defense to now get perhaps one the most powerful aggression mechanics in the game. Why have you decided to focus this rework in agression for a race that is recognized as the defensive one both in lore and in-game? Were there any alternatives that perhaps could focus on the development or rebuilding of the Karaks? Will the team follow the impact of this mechanic for future iterations after the mechanic is implemented? Is there any chance we could see changes to this mechanic based on the community feedback we are seeing?
Sean: The goal of the Age of Reckoning feature is to capture the Dwarfs desire to right the wrongs. The core loop of Total War is built around aggressive actions and this feature is supposed to give an alternate direction to where you go to war. Often player's primary decision making when declaring wars is finishing a province or conquering adjacent provinces based on proximity of forces, by adding in this Grudge element we hope to add a new element to the decision making. Hopefully you will come across a scenario where you see a large Grudge target and it will shake up your decision making and maybe take you in a direction you wouldn't usually go.As for whether the feature could change in the future, of course it can, we make games for people to enjoy so if the feature isn't working as we had hoped we will of course revisit it.​
How much more "open" has the game gotten in terms of adding new types of mechanics?
Will: So there's two big factors, one is the technical progression of the game. When we can, we try to build infrastructure with feature development that let's us extend functionality beyond what's needed just to deliver that original feature. A good example of this is the "foreign slots" system we built originally for the vampire coast coves but has since formed the foundation for Sanctums, Undercities, Gardens of Morr, The Changeling's entire infrastructure and more. The other side has been the growing internal zeitgeist around what works, what doesn't, and our own personal drive to try greater and bigger things. The people make the tech and the tech inspires the people!​
Mechanics like Elspeth's Amethyst Armory seem to be very OP. How do you approach balance for these?
Ben: I personally have a rule when I'm designing units and abilities for Warhammer 3, "make it fun first, then make it balanced afterwards". We wanted to make these superweapon-level army abilities really fun to use, but they will only become available towards the middle-to-end of a playthrough, making them a fitting reward for progressing a long way into Elspeth's campaign. They are pretty devastating, but they also cost a decent chunk of time and resources to field.​
The start location of Epidemus and Tarmurkhan are so close to each other.
Most of us are interest in moving Epidemus to Lustria to give Skrolk a pal.
Is there any chance in the future to move Epidemus?
(Also I love Gelt's new location).

Sean: Glad to hear you like Gelt's new start! Though Epidemius and Tamurkhan start not too far away we believe their starts are quite different. The path Tamurkhan is most likely to take will take him further away from Epidemius and the enemies they are tackling in the early game are also very different.
However if feedback tells us that we got the decision wrong and he really shouldn't be there we can look to try elsewhere, Gelt has shown that we are open to make changes when we feel it makes sense!
Any information on changes to AI behavior (battle and campaign), sieges and other major systems?
Ben: We will be addressing some more siege-adjacent topics after the release of Throne of Decay, starting with Ladders. One of the fixes we have lined up is the prevention of pathing onto ladders when a move order is issued in all cases. We believe that ladders are a piece of equipment that required explicit interaction with, so it should never be chosen as a pathing option unless the player chooses to interact with them.​
Hello, loved what I've seen of the plague mechanics changes and (and Tamurkhan), but just wondering if these mechanics will be given to Skrolk in the future? Or would you go back to the old mechanic and five that only to Skrolk? Thanks
Will: Skrolk is definitely on my radar for the future. We updated how his plagues are displayed while reworking the Nurgle plagues but we'd like to do more for him in the future to sell the plague rat fantasy. Watch this space!​
In shadows of change many of the new units were available in other factions besides the ones updated, most notably beastmen getting several of the new units. Of the new units in thrones of decay are there any plans for other factions to get some of these units?
Ben: Certainly, Beastmen will be getting Pestigors. Warriors of Chaos will be getting Rot Knights and Bile Trolls (with other Nurgle units being given as Gifts of Chaos). Daemons of Chaos will be getting all of the Daemonic RoR units.​
Since beastmen are likely receiving nurgle pestigors, then shouldn't they receive access to khorne minotaurs?
Ben: In the future, we'd like to do this.​
Will there be any new settlements/ provinces added in the next patch ? Some areas ( especially Lustria, the Dark Lands and Cathay) seem a bit empty at the moment.
Sean: We haven't added any new regions in this patch but we already have plans for further updates to the Immortal Empires map in 6.0.​
Any chance we'll get the opportunity as Nurgle factions to confederate with Festus? He's part of the Nurgle roster in multiplayer battles and it'd be really nice if you could have him in campaign too.
Sean: As of right now no we haven't implemented an official way to confederate factions outside of your culture, we have been making improvements to the systems that have prevented us in the past though so there is potential for us to investigate it further.​
Could it be possible to add faction returns like Gelt has to other factions? Mainly the ones on IE that start far flung from their home like Mother O, Imrik or Teclis where they have the option to return home with a dilemma?
Sean: Yes its possible, we are excited to see how everyone feels about Gelt's new start position and once you all have had an opportunity to try it out and give us feedback we can see if it makes sense to roll out in other places.​
Public order and Corruption
Is there any thoughts about these two in their current state. They tend to just manage themselves at this point, and removing the "empire management" has been one of the things to severely strengthen the player

Sean: In all honesty I agree, there are a few core systems in Warhammer 3 that could be improved and we have had discussions internally about what we could do to change them up. The limiting factor for us though is the impact and the confidence that it will be an objectively better end result for all our experiences. Corruption is tied to many sub-systems so a universal change without careful consideration could do more harm to the game than good... but never say never, where there is a will there is a way, and if enough players make it known that they want to see this change it will change how we prioritise our work to ensure we are making the most positive impact for the community.​
There's some more Q turning into A's but it's some sort of common sense stuff, stuff we already knew, and multiplayer stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I feel like i should play the DLC LL but ...
- With nurgle rework Kugath will finaly be cool!
- Thorgrim will finally unite the karaz Ankor or whatever that it is needed for a short victory.
- WoC got new toys for their nurgle armies, I wonder if Bile trolls will be an upgraded chaos trolls or an unique unit. Festus would make for a new experience
- Oxy is still the best campaign, despite these new comers.
- Malus now as a plethora of demonic opponents to satisfy his hatred.
- Gelt can now conquer cathay and become a 2nd empire!

Decisions, decisions.

There was a Q&A on the Total War discord and they just posted the results.

A few interesting tidbits (not an edit: alright this turned into like 60% of the Q&As):

There's some more Q turning into A's but it's some sort of common sense stuff, stuff we already knew, and multiplayer stuff.
I wonder what the plan is for the next DLC. A pity they didn't hint at the size of what their are planning.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I feel like i should play the DLC LL but ...
- With nurgle rework Kugath will finaly be cool!
- Thorgrim will finally unite the karaz Ankor or whatever that it is needed for a short victory.
- WoC got new toys for their nurgle armies, I wonder if Bile trolls will be an upgraded chaos trolls or an unique unit. Festus would make for a new experience
- Oxy is still the best campaign, despite these new comers.
- Malus now as a plethora of demonic opponents to satisfy his hatred.
- Gelt can now conquer cathay and become a 2nd empire!

Decisions, decisions.

I wonder what the plan is for the next DLC. A pity they didn't hint at the size of what their are planning.
Based on their QA it seems like the response to ToD is going to determine what they are going to do going forward.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
if the rumors I'm hearing are true...

Oxyotl is a chump and all lizardpeople are about to eat some heavy bombs from the Thunderbarge

things are looking pretty good!

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Based on their QA it seems like the response to ToD is going to determine what they are going to do going forward.
I was thinking of the DLC cadence. I would really enjoy if warhammer DLC was closer to PDS games with a DLC every few months. We have been getting 1 or 2 DLC per year which, for me, feels small.
I get that the scope and budget depends on the ToD performance. But will CA continue with 1-2 DLC per year? (so Slanesh DLC for Nov or December probably.) or will finally scale up so we can get 3 DLC/ year?

I also wouldn't mind if CA did a few other types of DLC like music. After so many hours i wish music had more variety; i'd pay for that.

if the rumors I'm hearing are true...

Oxyotl is a chump and all lizardpeople are about to eat some heavy bombs from the Thunderbarge

things are looking pretty good!
Stalking skinks as well as Ripperdactyls will make short work of the Thunderbarge. TBH i don't see it as much of a threat. (at least when controlled by the AI)

Rot knights and the buffed up rocket batteries sound very painful for the my cute little dinos and their playful skinks.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I was thinking of the DLC cadence. I would really enjoy if warhammer DLC was closer to PDS games with a DLC every few months. We have been getting 1 or 2 DLC per year which, for me, feels small.
I get that the scope and budget depends on the ToD performance. But will CA continue with 1-2 DLC per year? (so Slanesh DLC for Nov or December probably.) or will finally scale up so we can get 3 DLC/ year?

I also wouldn't mind if CA did a few other types of DLC like music. After so many hours i wish music had more variety; i'd pay for that.

Stalking skinks as well as Ripperdactyls will make short work of the Thunderbarge. TBH i don't see it as much of a threat. (at least when controlled by the AI)

Rot knights and the buffed up rocket batteries sound very painful for the my cute little dinos and their playful skinks.
I think we will probably get DLCs quicker no matter what. 1 - 2 DLCs a year is not a healthy schedule for the game and I think the reason we have gotten so few are because of all the production issues the game has had the last couple of years. From their original roadmap after the Chaos Dwarfs DLC they were originally aiming for 3 DLC a year.

Not matter what happens I would guess that they will aim for the the around 3 DLCs a year schedule they had during WH2 from now on.

Wether or not that means they have to cut down the size of each DLC or if ToD sells enough that they can convince the huger ups to scale up (if that is even feasible) will probably depend on how well ToD performs.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they'll go to 2 lord packs instead of three but with similar units sizes at around 17 dollars. I think trying to do three leads to less frequent updates on their part

My bet is Slannesh vs Vampire Counts

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they'll go to 2 lord packs instead of three but with similar units sizes at around 17 dollars. I think trying to do three leads to less frequent updates on their part

My bet is Slannesh vs Vampire Counts

I think the fact that they are splitting this pack into 3 separate purchases is evidence of this as well. Going forward we can basically expect to pay $8-9 for a single faction pack that includes 1LL, 1 LH, 1 generic lord and hero, and 5 units (with some other things added in when it makes sense, like lores of magic).

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
3 long days to go...

Is it wierd that the thing I want to do the most is forget about the new lords, and do a Belegar campaign to rain shells down on Queeks head from Thunderbarges?

Every DLC, the added lords are usually good, but my #1 go to is to play existing lords and see how their campaign has changed with the new units and mechanics.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ewXLRe3vJw

sounds like there a bug / oversight in the grudge Age of Reckoning system, making its requirements snowball as you either confederate others or complete quest battles (as you usually teleport somewhere, resulting in you meeting new factions which then start incurring grudges and thus raising the amount of grudges you need to settle within the time frame.) hope they find the time to hotfix it quickly (or some enterprising modder comes through)

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
Cant have grudges if you dont interact with anything
giphy.gif

It seems CA wanted to light a fire under the Dwarf's asses and get them moving into a more proactive campaign. But in reality its turned them into a short Khorne faction of constant war with an carrot on a stick that they will never catch up to.

Hope it gets looked at.

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
3 long days to go...

Is it wierd that the thing I want to do the most is forget about the new lords, and do a Belegar campaign to rain shells down on Queeks head from Thunderbarges?

Every DLC, the added lords are usually good, but my #1 go to is to play existing lords and see how their campaign has changed with the new units and mechanics.
I odn't think it is weird to play old LL or your favorite LL.
The 4 new factions will expand not only the 3 races but most other faction that play on that zone.

For example my boy Oxy gets new demons to hunt and thus new way to have fun!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ewXLRe3vJw

sounds like there a bug / oversight in the grudge Age of Reckoning system, making its requirements snowball as you either confederate others or complete quest battles (as you usually teleport somewhere, resulting in you meeting new factions which then start incurring grudges and thus raising the amount of grudges you need to settle within the time frame.) hope they find the time to hotfix it quickly (or some enterprising modder comes through)

I didn't see the video but from the CA's Malakai video it sounded like they haven't figured yet the necessary balance for the number of grudges.

Cant have grudges if there's no-one else left
giphy.gif
I can see dwarves getting the short victory very quickly!

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I always hate the wait for DLC, normally because I want to play the faction getting DLC. Like the Empire is great now, but would it be the same playing it without the landship when I know one is coming?

Finally did get some time to do the OVN Lost Faction mods. The Fimir are absolutely a blast.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Yeah this is a good time to play mods I wouldn't otherwise. If I wasn't trying to finish up my Stellaris campaign I'd finally be trying the Old World.

Very hyped for tomorrow. I hope this does very well for them (I think it will?).

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
There are apparently a few notable things that weren't included in the patch notes, including fixes/improvements to ranged units (both gunpowder and traditional). Multiple streamers/early access folks have been saying they generally work better in 5.0, actually firing up at units on walls in sieges and stuff like that.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
dear god did I forget how long these last few hours before DLC release can be
national holiday tomorrow too, super amped into staying up way too late and slayering things

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Strange that this isn't up on fanatical like DLC's always are. I guess with the new 3-way split it's only available directly on steam for some reason

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Strange that this isn't up on fanatical like DLC's always are. I guess with the new 3-way split it's only available directly on steam for some reason
Unlike previous DLCs you can`t pre-order them on Steam yet. It seems like they have decided to not pre-sell the DLC at all this time, so they might show up on Fanatical after launch.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
ngl, I thought this was days/weeks before release since the Steam page had no pre-buy.

definitely caught by surprise.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't really play any of these factions, and isn't interested in playing them, I just hope we don't have to wait another year before we see similar improvements to other races. It does stick in the thraot a bit that the Empire now has the best spellcaster armies - between Balthasar Gelt getting access to the Cataclysm spells, and the boosts and power of elspeth, feels a lot like Teclis, Arkhan, Mazdamundi and Kairos could do with some help!

OP
OP
karnage10

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I am waiting for the bundle to buy.
As someone who doesn't really play any of these factions, and isn't interested in playing them, I just hope we don't have to wait another year before we see similar improvements to other races. It does stick in the thraot a bit that the Empire now has the best spellcaster armies - between Balthasar Gelt getting access to the Cataclysm spells, and the boosts and power of elspeth, feels a lot like Teclis, Arkhan, Mazdamundi and Kairos could do with some help!
maybe i remember wrong but doesn't teclis get quite a few free spells and a massive discount to his spells that hev can single handily wipe most armies by himself?
Mazda while his spell aren't that impressive still rides a top a gorgeous stegadon that will ripe enemy line apart like they are butter.

I also think they should get cataclysm spells but i don't think those 2 chars are underpowered at the moment.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
crisis averted, shows in my library now

still not sure about whether to go with Elspeth or Malakai goddamnit

Xion385

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is it time....?

maxresdefault.jpg

Did The Empire get any buffs with the changes it received or they still butt difficult?

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I knew there was no pre-orders buy but I hoping once it went live I could get it from Fanatical, where all the other DLC had come from. They don't seem to even list it :(

Well, bundle here I come anyways! I foolishly thought that the wait for the dlc release felt long, but now I'm going to buy it on my phone and experience the *real* waiting for the workday to end :D

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
Playing with Gelt until the DLC is up in official sellers for a bigger discount than the Steam bundle.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
the double skill point mod is broken ;____;

Elspeth is very fun. Super OP artillery & gunpower + she flies around with her dragon, dropping Purple Sun's for 7 mana. Not to mention the breath attack is very, very strong

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
I decided to go with Elspeth for my first 5.0 campaign and it's an absolute blast so far. The new factions are clearly very strong, but it's still an enjoyable struggle for me. It's the first time I am playing Empire Proper (only tried Markus Wulfhart before), so the playstyle needed some getting used to at first with positioning and all.

Also having a really good time building my friendship with Belegar Ironhammer. His army in Karak Hirn was besieged by a an Army + Waaagh!!! of Wurrzag, so I sent a small contingent of troops to heroically aid him against the Greenskins, we ended up wiping out the army in two battles. Great times!

Some pictures from the second battle, Nuln and Angrund side by side, putting the Greenskins to flight. The snow maps are a bit crummy visually, but still neat.

9ShqAfp.jpeg

xT2mmqI.jpeg

G8rA8xX.jpeg

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to go with Elspeth for my first 5.0 campaign and it's an absolute blast so far. The new factions are clearly very strong, but it's still an enjoyable struggle for me. It's the first time I am playing Empire Proper (only tried Markus Wulfhart before), so the playstyle needed some getting used to at first with positioning and all.

Also having a really good time building my friendship with Belegar Ironhammer. His army in Karak Hirn was besieged by a an Army + Waaagh!!! of Wurrzag, so I sent a small contingent of troops to heroically aid him against the Greenskins, we ended up wiping out the army in two battles. Great times!

Some pictures from the second battle, Nuln and Angrund side by side, putting the Greenskins to flight. The snow maps are a bit crummy visually, but still neat.

9ShqAfp.jpeg

xT2mmqI.jpeg

G8rA8xX.jpeg
Not a big Empire fan, but she looks super fun. Slay the Urks!

Malakai is a beast. You get access to so many cool units early. The sound design of guns/artillery is amazing in this game. The sound of a bucnh of thunderers and canons never gets old.

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played it yet but will tomorrow so I'm excited
Apparently ToD has more players than Chaos Dwarves and is only 10k off peak dlc with Warden and the Paunch.

Glad to see it's doing well I hope CA learns the right lessons

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Ended up grabbing it tonight but haven't tried anything yet. Will probably go with maggot boy first but i am actually kind of excited to give dwarves a shot for the first time. That zeppelin looks too fuckin cool.

oddjobs

Oct 27, 2017
nothing quite like getting "A Grudge Too Far" for the endgame scenario on an empire playthrough where you've made strong relations with the dwarfs and are literally surrounded clockwise by Malakai, Ungrim, Thorgrim and Belegar