• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
dgyf6q7nltf61.png

It was on number 1 on the western storfront for several days (it's now on third, still impressive for a pre order), but the Chinese storefront is noticeable because it's competing with super popular games made by Chinese developers that just released on it.

For context; Cathay was announced for the game, which is basically Imperial Ming-Dynasty with a backdrop of mythical Chinese creatures and legends in the Warhammer world. It's never been seen before, in the lore and the tabletop, and CA is working with Games Workshop to put them finally in the Warhammer world as an actual faction. Some people have accused CA as pandering, but Cathay has always been super requested even when Warhammer was mostly in North America and Europe.

I would imagine the huge attention the game is receiving, particularly amongst their fans in China, is making CA very happy for the choice they made to include them,.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, sleep on China at your peril.

It's likely the reason why more publishers are using Steam, and the likes of Sony are rumored to be planning to.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Its crazy because cathay as like, zero official art and barely any lore. They worked with gameworkshop and CA to create and write and establish a brand new faction, an empire, military, aesthetic, mythology, lore... Everything. And we havent seen anything of it yet. They just announced that cathay would be playable day one.

But the idea of warhammer epic and ancient china is just so good everyone is hyped

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
So hyped for this game, glad they are adding Cathay.

Just need to find some pc parts so I can upgrade in time.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
The negative responses some people have had to this have just been sad. I've seen people straight up act like nobody asked for Cathay, when people have been asking for the less fleshed out human nation's for a long time.

I know I'm looking forward to leading an army of terracotta soldiers, giant river snakes, and warrior-monks.

Ghostmaster

Oct 25, 2017
The negative responses to this have just been sad. I've seen people straight up act like nobody asked for Cathay, when people have been asking for the less fleshed out human nation's for a long time.

I know I'm looking forward to leading an army of terracotta soldiers, giant river snakes, and warrior-monks.
How many of those negative responses are actually out there? From what I've seen most of the response has been super positive, both from individual people and big creators. Most people are happy to have a new faction fleshed out. The only people I've seen complaining are people who were expecting chaos dwarves and some are unhappy about Chaos being split into 4 factions but that has nothing to do with Cathay.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Cathay plus the groundwork laid in Total War Three Kingdoms. I love seeing the series I've loved for so long gain in popularity while retaining what made it so good imo.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How many of those negative responses are actually out there? From what I've seen most of the response has been super positive, both from individual people and big creators. Most people are happy to have a new faction fleshed out. The only people I've seen complaining are people who were expecting chaos dwarves and some are unhappy about Chaos being split into 4 factions but that has nothing to do with Cathay.

Yeah, I don't know if it's necessarily a niche opinion but the majority of views I've seen are positive and curious about the direction Cathay is taking.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Cathay plus the groundwork laid in Total War Three Kingdoms. I love seeing the series I've loved for so long gain in popularity while retaining what made it so good imo.

My dream game now would be shogun 3 down the line with 3K social and character based systems. It be so good.

But milk me CA, im ready for years of TW3 dlcs

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
By the way, do we know how Troy did in China? I know Three Kingdoms did pretty well and I'm wondering if that's led to increased interest in the series in general.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Shortly after the launch of 3K there was an interview with CA talking about how well TWW2 had done in China. I don't think this is a new thing.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Some people have a problem with Cathay saying "THEY JUST ADDING THIS TO APPEAL TO CHINA" but I don't care - it's amazing actually that they are creating a new faction. What else we could get? There's no more "big" faction, really. Chaos Dwarves? Ogres? They're not really "big" and Arabia is not on the right continent for this story.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Its crazy because cathay as like, zero official art and barely any lore. They worked with gameworkshop and CA to create and write and establish a brand new faction, an empire, military, aesthetic, mythology, lore... Everything. And we havent seen anything of it yet. They just announced that cathay would be playable day one.

But the idea of warhammer epic and ancient china is just so good everyone is hyped
Cathay has lore but is very obscure. https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Cathay

It is over-compiled based on the relationships that other factions have had with Cathay, especially Ogres and Skaven. What is certain is that his army is poorly described. There are mentions of automated terracotta armies, magical statues, and warrior monks. Usual "Fantasy China" stuff.

Sneaky Gato

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not surprised, there's been a very large Chinese community for the Total War Warhammer games. I remember a couple years ago a group made a huge map of Cathay to send to the CA. If I remember the sale reports right Games Workshop and Warhammer has also been making big inroads into the market in recent years.