• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kanito8a

Apr 18, 2018
This seems like an amazing performance for Sw/Sh.

This is being my first Pokemon ever and I am enjoying the ride A LOT (I don't even pay attention anymore to the poor graphics and robotic animations).

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome game, my wife and I have been enjoying it so much. I can't wait for the next Pokemon game on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
I dont understand Japanese so maybe there is something there I'm not getting, but most of the time when Nintendo says ''sold'', is usually shipped. For quartelry reports for example, they usually disclose sold-through only few days after together with the transcript of the Q&A. Not sure if TPC reports the same way tho.

But honestly, that doesnt matter a lot for Pkmn, these copies will be sold regardless
Nominally there would be a reference to Media Create. There isn't, so it can be assumed to be sell-through.

Marufuku

Feb 27, 2018
Serebii is it possible that Nintendo have their own additional tracking that they are using? The report states with an asterisk that some kind of "Nintendo survey" is used (I think Google Translate translates the asterisk text as such), so maybe they are incorporating their own data there? Or maybe adding digital up to today and retail up to Sunday from Media Create?

Yes.

This is internal data from Nintendo, as they are the publisher.

They use the same term on this press release about Switch 10 million sales in Japan (当社調べ):

Last edited:

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Wow, hopefully with all the criticism, they do.some improvements, I feel like the series hast the potential to sell more. Being on a hybrid console is helping, I imagine, as lots of new players are buying this game and discovering previous gen Pokémon as new.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
QoL improvements like xp sharing, and out-of-pokecenter Pokemon switching had me pretty hooked on this one pretty much. Didn't feel hooked like this since orig Pokemon Red. Well done, Game Freak

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Shame it only sold that much, it'd be a success if it wasn't for the boycott /s

Congrats to GF for the successful release on the good, and fun game.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I can't say this is entirely undeserved.

I'm having tons of fun with it and have become low-key obsessed with what is my first Pokemon game, but every single criticism (well, most of them), levied at the game is correct, coming from someone who is not concerned with Dexit. As much as I enjoyed the game, it is far from what I want from a Switch Pokemon title (and no, I don't want a Pokemon MMO or open world).

With these sales, there is less incentive for them to evolve the series or expand the scope to be on par with even something like Xenoblade 2. They have surely felt the backlash, but the backlash was centralized around Dexit, so I figure that any adjustment would involve throwing more old Pokemon at it and calling it a day.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Impressive and not all that surprising, I'm seeing people buying it I otherwise wouldn't expect to. Imagine my surprise lying in bed one night when I see my older brother (who's not much of a gamer) on local communication lol.

HeavenlyE

Oct 27, 2017
Take that anyone legitimately disappointed in the game, the lowly underdog that is Pokemon wins again aha

m051293

Oct 29, 2017
There it is. Expecting NPD record for an exclusive opening month as well (though SKUs are split in that reporting so we won't see it noted).

Sun Moon apparently sold through 7.2M by November 30th (12 days after US/Japan release, 7 days after Europe) according to ZhugeEX. Sword Shield may be selling faster than Sun Moon.
Impressive stuff.

It might be the fastest selling exclusive ever ? (If it is indeed outpacing S/M).

Yeah it looks like it's outpacing SuMo. Maybe we get additional PR later in the month. We almost certainly will from NoA for the US after Black Friday and then again in December before the holidays.

momottolo

Aug 20, 2019
Welp, we are never going to get another true Pokemon adventure instead of this "on rail rpg"

Good for them i guess

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Guess the millions of children this was intended for did not really support that dexit boycott like us real fans!

Asinine comment aside, good stuff and not surprised. Game needs some quality of life fixes now that its out but its another solid Pokemon title to chew through for a few months.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Lesson that their fanbase will buy anything?
All that really matters is that it has a competent campain and new mons for people to enjoy. GF knows that and is likely why they neutered postgame content this decade. Also it being the first console mainline game helps.

People need to learn with Pokemon is that you go with the flow and enjoy what they offer or just drop it. Voting with your wallet is meaningless with mainline Pokemon.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue this gen is better than all the DS and 3DS gens. 30 hours in, and I just got done with 7th gym. Its so addictive and fun especially exploring the wild area. Congrats gamefreak, and nintendo.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Such a flawed, fun game.
I've been greatly annoyed by it and enjoyed it very much so far!

(I'm not surprised at all by the numbers: it's a new Pokémon generation... on Switch.)

Twookie

Oct 25, 2017
Are anyone surprised by this?

Anyway, guess we'll never get an actual ambitious Pokemon title

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised of this outcome, it would be more insane in the upcoming sales week. I enjoyed my time with this game a lot, congrats game freak.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
In the end, my kids love it, and they're not aware of all the stuff that was around these games. I like it more then S/M despite being aware of the problems. So i can't say that this is somehow undeserved.

Still, i hope Gamefreak has a solid post-launch analysis and comes to two important changes for the development of Gen 9.

1. Either stock up on your devs for engines or (imo better) switch to a premade engine with solid support.
2. Take more time for the development to begin with.

Point 1. also directly impacts point 2., but i feel like they should communicate with Nintendo and TPC asap about a better paced development schedule.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
In the end, my kids love it, and they're not aware of all the stuff that was around these games. I like it more then S/M despite being aware of the problems. So i can't say that this is somehow undeserved.

Still, i hope Gamefreak has a solid post-launch analysis and comes to two important changes for the development of Gen 9.

1. Either stock up on your devs for engines or (imo better) switch to a premade engine with solid support.
2. Take more time for the development to begin with.

Point 1. also directly impacts point 2., but i feel like they should communicate with Nintendo and TPC asap about a better paced development schedule.
They won't. They have a schedule to keep and that's more important than extra content or polish. Pokémon is a well oiled machine.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Well, I am bothered by the absence of the National Pokédex. At the moment (sixth gym), I am not finding the game so story focused, and I tipically like to have a good story. There are a number of flows, indeed. But I am really enjoying the game as I imagined. I simply think that Pokémon is based on a winning formula which cannot fail. Maybe it is because I started to game thanks to Pokémon and in my childhood is the series I played the most, but everything I play a Pokémon game still now, I always enjoy it. These numbers clearly show I am not the only one.