• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Also this is the same company who tried to hide that an assault took place in one of their stores over masks where ten employees were physically harmed. Once it was finally reported by Vice two weeks later they gave this insane statement

www.vice.com

Customers Who Refused Masks Assault Trader Joe’s Workers, Send One to the Hospital

The men pummeled one employee with a wooden paddle, ripped off another employee's mask, and pulled the hair of a third worker, according to an NYPD spokesperson.

This is the first time I've seen this shit.

When the whole name thing broke they gave a statement that they were already in the process of changing the packaging before the petition happened and they were nearing completion.

"We made the decision several years ago to use only the Trader Joe's name on our products moving forward," spokesperson Kenya Friend-Daniel told NPR by email. She added that the company "had hoped that the work would be complete by now but there are still a small number of products going through the packaging change and we expect to be done very soon."

Now they put out a statement saying that it's not racist and they never had any intention of changing anything. Judging by responses in this thread - the distraction tactic work.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, damn Latinos not being upset about harmless bullshit. Makes me sick
if you're not offended by this congrats?! But you sure as shit don't get to speak for everyone first of all. Second, the response for the company here is pretty gross and to me that's the real story. Last, no matter how you slice it this is a form of racism so to see people dismissing it as "cute" or "pseudo-intellectual liberal handwringing".

Deleted member 35740

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
if you're not offended by this congrats?! But you sure as shit don't get to speak for everyone first of all. Second, the response for the company here is pretty gross and to me that's the real story. Last, no matter how you slice it this is a form of racism so to see people dismissing it as "cute" or "pseudo-intellectual liberal handwringing".

It really isn't, though. Pandering? You bet, but I fail to see the racism here.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really isn't, though. Pandering? You bet, but I fail to see the racism here.
It's racism. It doesn't have to be someone on my front lawn burning a cross or calling me the nword to be racist. Racism is a pretty large spectrum. That's not to say that when I walk into a Trader Joe's I am emotional distraught at all the packaging. Like this is on the level of a white person coming up to me and assuming I must love rap music or some shit cause of the color of my skin. It's not the end of the world but it is something that tends to add up in a already very racist society. With that said it was a pretty easy move for this company to change the packaging and not give a shit statement but here we are. It's also disturbing to see people give their behavior after being called out a pass.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
I love seeing the white people here get upset about the most innocuous shit that minorities couldnt actually give less of a shit about. Theres fucking internet camps out there on the border with Mexico and you guys are fucking getting upset at this shit? If you posted in this thread to complain about how this is offensive then i would ask you to direct that energy towards something that is worth fighting for, not some brand that named some shit Trader Jose. As a Mexican, I think this is overreaction and hope you guys find it in yourselves to see how your being a bigger problem than Trader Joes in this, because i feel nothing but embarrassment for you folks.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
You mean like...

timthumb.php
timthumb.php
Those are really cool lol

Samurai and sombrero Newman 🤯

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love seeing the white people here get upset about the most innocuous shit that minorities couldnt actually give less of a shit about. Theres fucking internet camps out there on the border with Mexico and you guys are fucking getting upset at this shit? If you posted in this thread to complain about how this is offensive then i would ask you to direct that energy towards something that is worth fighting for, not some brand that named some shit Trader Jose. As a Mexican, I think this is overreaction and hope you guys find it in yourselves to see how your being a bigger problem than Trader Joes in this, because i feel nothing but embarrassment for you folks.
People can hold two thoughts in their heads at the same time. Just because someone makes a posts on a fucking Internet forum about this shit doesn't mean they don't care about the brutality of the Trump admin with regards to immigration. Stop being so fucking dramatic.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm always trying to learn and adjust my "sensor" for when "racial" things tip over into "racist" things.

It's important to not be inadvertantly racist of course, but if you equate racial to racist, the effect will be to whitewash everything and remove references to other races or cultures altogether, which seems a greater harm than Trader Jose or Trader Ming.

That said, I'm not sure this letter was necessary or a good idea.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
People can hold two thoughts in their heads at the same time. Just because someone makes a posts on a fucking Internet forum about this shit doesn't mean they don't care about the brutality of the Trump admin with regards to immigration. Stop being so fucking dramatic.
Ok dude, go keep protesting hard shell tortillas. your sure teaching the man whos boss 🤣

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok dude, go keep protesting hard shell tortillas. your sure teaching the man whos boss 🤣
Who said I'm protesting anything to do with this. Much like you, I'm sharing my thoughts on an Internet forum but perhaps engaging yours is a waste of my time. I hope you're putting your money where your mouth is and protesting the border

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Who said I'm protesting anything to do with this. Much like you, I'm sharing my thoughts on an Internet forum but perhaps engaging yours is a waste of my time. I hope you're putting your money where your mouth is and protesting the border
You can believe that I am, my mother risked her life TWICE crossing that border to make sure that me and my brothers would have a good life. I cannot picture what the women and children in those places are going through and it breaks my mothers heart to see it. My mother was smart enough to know that the worse was coming and made us Canadian citizens instead of trying for US citizenship and it is something i am grateful for everyday. For me and my mom, who were lucky enough to not have landed in those camps, all this feels like fodder and meaningless victories.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
White person here

It's not my place to pick and choose what offends non-white people, because removing that agency from others and proactively acting as a gatekeeper like that is just another form of racism. If people are finding this labeling hurtful then sure, I'm in support. For now, I'll just continue to absorb the responses I see from people here.

Seeblol

Jun 21, 2020
I don't think it's racist or trying to be racist. It's not like Jose is out there with a leaf-blower blowing shredded lettuce around or some shit. It's just showing different "Joes".

Oct 25, 2017
By declaring this to be objectively racist (which isn't a thing, of course) you're speaking for everyone.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Yeah, I've got no problem with this. It is a silly pandering thing and not really worth expending any significant amount of energy.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can believe that I am, my mother risked her life TWICE crossing that border to make sure that me and my brothers would have a good life. I cannot picture what the women and children in those places are going through and it breaks my mothers heart to see it. My mother was smart enough to know that the worse was coming and made us Canadian citizens instead of trying for US citizenship and it is something i am grateful for everyday. For me and my mom, who were lucky enough to not have landed in those camps, all this feels like fodder and meaningless victories.
I share a similar sentiment. I too have personal experience with the brutality of the immigration system. Many family members of mine lived under the threat of deportation. That said this company shouldn't be given a pass for this shit. A week ago they claimed they were changing the names of their products. This week they double down on it while having the gall to claim this isn't racist. Maybe them getting called out for trying to sweep under the rug an assault that took place at one of their stores has something to do with this about face
By declaring this to be objectively racist (which isn't a thing, of course) you're speaking for everyone.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Saying something is racist is a descriptive claim. Saying someone shouldn't be offended by a thing is a normative claim.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
It's racism. It doesn't have to be someone on my front lawn burning a cross or calling me the nword to be racist. Racism is a pretty large spectrum. That's not to say that when I walk into a Trader Joe's I am emotional distraught at all the packaging. Like this is on the level of a white person coming up to me and assuming I must love rap music or some shit cause of the color of my skin. It's not the end of the world but it is something that tends to add up in a already very racist society. With that said it was a pretty easy move for this company to change the packaging and not give a shit statement but here we are. It's also disturbing to see people give their behavior after being called out a pass.
But what makes it racism?

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
Is Beppe short for Giuseppe? Pepe is short for José.

Yep.
Another short of Giuseppe can be Peppe.

this post is literal hieroglyphics to me, am i the only one?

EDIT: some googling explained the what, but not the why lmao

The number of particles (may them be atoms or molecules) that you need to have a mass that is equal to a substance atomic mass is 6.022*10^23
For example. Carbon has an atomic mass of 12u. In 12 grams of carbons there are that precise number of atoms.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is this the capitalist version of "I have black friends"

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The number of particles (may them be atoms or molecules) that you need to have a mass that is equal to a substance atomic mass is 6.022*10^23
For example. Carbon has an atomic mass of 12u. In 12 grams of carbons there are that precise number of atoms.

is that how heavy an Avocado is?

Does stuff like this really offend people? Honestly interested to know.

lime vinaigrette offends the fuck out of me

Oct 25, 2017
México
Does stuff like this really offend people? Honestly interested to know.
It seems to offend mostly white (well, American) people in behalf of those ethnicities.

Not offensive to me (a Mexican). You know what was offensive? The complains about Mario as a mariachi. Nintendo even removed him from the Mario Odyssey cover. We loved that guy here in Mexico, and got removed for nothing.

gamerant.com

Super Mario Odyssey Removes Sombrero Mario from Box Art

After Super Mario Odyssey receives its official ESRB rating, Nintendo updates the game's box art, removing the image of sombrero Mario in the process.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Someone linked to her twitter and she's in high school and supposedly joined Twitter this month.

Made me suspicious this was someone trying to stir things up.
Nearly anytime I see something "old" trending on twitter I always conflate it with a new younger Twitter user. The last one I followed was RDJ in Tropic Thunder where mid 2000 twitter had to defend the film.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It seems to offend mostly white (well, American) people in behalf of those ethnicities.

Not offensive to me (a Mexican). You know what was offensive? The complains about Mario as a mariachi. Nintendo even removed him from the Mario Odyssey cover. We loved that guy here in Mexico, and got removed for nothing.

gamerant.com

Super Mario Odyssey Removes Sombrero Mario from Box Art

After Super Mario Odyssey receives its official ESRB rating, Nintendo updates the game's box art, removing the image of sombrero Mario in the process.

incredible lol

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
because invoking other races in any way is racist

This is an Era thread, so I won't say much because I know how these threads go, but this is quite the interesting take.

I'm surprised TJ didn't cave though. We will see if they stay strong in the long term.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
this post is literal hieroglyphics to me, am i the only one?

EDIT: some googling explained the what, but not the why lmao
haha it's a chemistry constant for doing mole conversions iirc

like how Pi is 3.14 for doing circle stuff and making a flaky crust

but Avogadro is a fruit so is very large number because of all the seeds

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
They should make a Nigerian one just to see if it'll offend us. Trader Joseph might work. Josephine? Blessing? Let's workshop this

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't know what they were supposed to do here. I mean, SOME consensus has to be made before deeming something offensive enough to remove or change, right?
Shit even in this thread we got latinos and asians (myself included) thinking this is fine. So who are they supposed to listen to here?

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is an Era thread, so I won't say much because I know how these threads go, but this is quite the interesting take.

I'm surprised TJ didn't cave though. We will see if they stay strong in the long term.
Last week they said they were changing the names and actually followed through with some of the products. This week after a report from vice came out about them sweeping an assault that took place at one of their stores over masks under the rug they make an about face. "Staying strong" lol

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Saying something is racist is a descriptive claim. Saying someone shouldn't be offended by a thing is a normative claim.
I stated it clearly and explicitly, but I will write it out at greater length for you. You said that it's racist "any way you slice it." That claim implies that this branding (or, anything else) is objectively racist. It isn't objectively racist because nothing is objectively racist. Now, things can be subjectively racist, meaning, we can agree to label them racist depending on the context. To cite one example, I'd call the Aunt Jemima brand racist because that stereotype was used for many years to help justify segregation. But a picture of a Black woman isn't itself racist "any way you slice it." And the name Jose is just a name in Spanish-speaking countries/cultures. The name is not itself racist--again, because nothing can be racist inherently. (By the way, I'm just summarizing the basic tenets of deconstruction. There's nothing revolutionary or even up for debate about this; it's how all language works.)

So, it's up to you to explain how the specific situation here is something we should consider racist.

Deleted member 6230

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I stated it clearly and explicitly, but I will write it out at greater length for you. You said that it's racist "any way you slice it." That claim implies that this branding (or, anything else) is objectively racist. It isn't objectively racist because nothing is objectively racist. Now, things can be subjectively racist, meaning, we can agree to label them racist depending on the context. To cite one example, I'd call the Aunt Jemima brand racist because that stereotype was used for many years to help justify segregation. But a picture of a Black woman isn't itself racist "any way you slice it." And the name Jose is just a name in Spanish-speaking countries/cultures. The name is not itself racist--again, because nothing can be racist inherently. (By the way, I'm just summarizing the basic tenets of deconstruction. There's nothing revolutionary or even up for debate about this; it's how all language works.)

So, it's up to you to explain how the specific situation here is something we should consider racist.
I'm not gonna engage with this condescending post. Peace

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Been continuing to go and support Trader Joes because it seems to be the only store in my area strictly limiting number of customers in the store and mask wearing. Probably going to continue regardless of the decision with this, I don't really have much of an opinion on it to be honest.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly zero of my many Latino & Italian friends have a problem with this packaging.

In fact, several have mentioned they buy them BECAUSE they think the packaging is cute, and gives them a teeny bit of pride.

I made a thread a year or two back about attending a Mexican themed party where some of the guests were wearing ponchos, fake mustaches, and sombreros and the overwhelming majority seemed to be more concerned about if the food was good. I thought maybe the premise of the party was iffy but I think most saw it as a fun celebration of the culture rather than a jab with stereotypes.

Oct 25, 2017
México
I made a thread a year or two back about attending a Mexican themed party where some of the guests were wearing ponchos, fake mustaches, and sombreros and the overwhelming majority seemed to be more concerned about if the food was good. I thought maybe the premise of the party was iffy but I think most saw it as a fun celebration of the culture rather than a jab with stereotypes.
Do you have a link for the thread?

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely silly to be concerned over this tbh. but the "protests" over this are probably not very significant either, which s why Trader Joe feels safe enough to double down.