Oct 25, 2017

Daring drivers from around the world test their limits in custom cars on the biggest, baddest automotive obstacle course ever built. In this new original Netflix competition series, driving prowess, mechanical ingenuity and emotional resilience will be tested in this open invitation, build and race tournament. Many will compete but there can only be one Hyperdrive champion.

This was probably really expensive to produce.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks awesome. I'm in.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope they spend 80% of the show talking about the drivers, and cutting to the celebrity hosts to interject witty comments, and not focus on the actual driving (sarcasm - but this is pretty much all shows now)

But it looks potentially awesome.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it was filmed in bazil just so I can hear the announcers say

3d76ad5287222b13e681f3bd2fd31fbcc409ca11a473fd2616154bd0644214b6.jpg

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Looks like it could be fun. Car based ninja warrior sounds good on paper, hopefully it is fun to watch. Will be checking it out regardless.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
how can someone have 4 jobs, a racing hobby, and still find time to be with their kids

ph1l0z0ph3r

Oct 27, 2017
Show is a solid but I want more car diversity. Although I love the 240sx there was too many this season.

BubbaKrumpz

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yay Area
Man, it had the usual reality contestant fluff and making it longer than it needed to be but shit was super fun to watch. I almost cried when bl
both Sheriff and the French homie with the Charger got eliminated. The other French bro was the best driver imo too bad he didn't win. Atsushi was really good too. Favorite driver was definitely Fielding as he's the most I related to when it came to driving, just send it. Lol.

I'd kill for a rally version now.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching the first episode but I admit my expectations were probably far too dangerous for the drivers compared to what's going on. Still a fun watch.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I've been scrubbing through episodes, but I really find this kind of thing hard to watch. The American Ninja Warrior format is just incredible for taking an amazing spectacle and making it as boring and mundane as possible. Having to sit through the tragic life stories of all the competitors every time, the hosts all competing to see who can overreact the hardest, repeated explanations of simple concepts, seeing the same course run so many times that it loses all novelty; it's just exhausting. Thankfully with Netflix I can skip to the good stuff, but there's only like 15 watchable minutes per 45-minute episode :P

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
This was a fun show! I thought they got the balance just right between the race action and getting to know the racers. The races were exciting and unpredictable and got me hooked.
I also agree that Omar's door technique was bullshit.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Only a few episodes in and it's pretty entertaining.

Felt really bad
for the south African girl though. These water hazards are kind of bullshit. I want to see people win/lose because of their skills, not because their car's engine is bad at handling water

Shortt Sirket

Oct 26, 2017
Indianapolis, IN
I am almost done with this show and it has been shockingly competent so far. The hosts are pretty meh (how is Rutledge Wood the worst?) and the format is a bit wonky but they do a decent enough job showing the actual racing to keep it interesting.

It is actually much better than I thought it would be and makes me hopeful that it can be cleaned up for a second season. The concept is much more interesting than I expected.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoying this. The flow of the episodes is weird, like not fitting all the 12 racers into one episode but it's no biggie seeing as the whole season is there anyways. But it's a lot of fun to watch and the cars/skills are impressive. Maybe a bit too much filler on life stories but it doesn't bog it down too much.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Unlike other people's thoughts on the drama aspect, I felt like it was just enough to cement this as the best anime of the year. Incredible show, can't wait for the next season.

I did find it kind of incredulous that they kept reiterating the South African girls dad selling his tow truck to pay their expenses to the competition... Did they not compensate these drivers at all? Was there no budget left for travel after filming Charlize Theron's cameo in South Africa?

fushi

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this isn't a necrobump since I saw no other thread on this.

I was looking to binge something out of my comfort zone and this fit the bill perfectly since I am no gearhead nor much into reality shows. Me and my date ended up binging this in a single day in one sitting, in part due to the quarantine but also because the show was pretty damn fun. The stunts were inventive, most of the participants had a fair amount of (positive) character to them and the camerawork was excellent in delivering the thrills and drama. And a big plus also for having contestants from all around the globe and a surprisingly large amount of females as well. Definitely exceeded expectations on all fronts.

If there is a second season (I hope there is), then I do hope they tone down some of the more cringey attempts at making the participants more menacing or crazy or whatever. "Baby-faced assassin," "Wild Child," and so on felt way too dumb, especially since they all felt like characters without them. I also would love if they focused a bit more on what was going on behind the scenes, because it was really clear that these guys got along very well , respected eachother a lot and were literally rooting for their direct competitors, even if it meant they may drop off the competition. That stuff felt really wholesome and would have made this show stand out even more, especially in these polarizing times.