• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
These crossovers are getting kinda sad when the selling point is the return of Atom, Black Lightning, and Oliver's daughter

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

All he's missing is the Kombat Cycle.

AF-044505_28781b5e-53b5-11e0-b5a7-404089fa747f_00.jpg

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Hate to hear that. 8 seasons is a lot of seasons to decline. Especially given we're talking about CW shows, which aren't exactly the pinnacle of any sort of quality metrics.
I agree, it's sad to hear. I really wish it was better, and maybe someone can confirm what I'm saying is not hyperbole, or disagree with me, I don't know. But I really can't see any improvement on this show from season to season. I'm half a season behind, but I don't feel like watching it anymore, especially with all the great content available out there that I could be watching instead.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, it's sad to hear. I really wish it was better, and maybe someone can confirm what I'm saying is not hyperbole, or disagree with me, I don't know. But I really can't see any improvement on this show from season to season. I'm half a season behind, but I don't feel like watching it anymore, especially with all the great content available out there that I could be watching instead.

Stop watching. It doesn't get better. The last season was all kinds of ridiculousness. The lot of us that are still watching are just watching to see how it all ends, and to see just how bad the show can get.

I'm not excited about this crossover. The only things that excite me about the crossover is seeing Barry get his ass beat, Black Lightning, and The Atom (Ryan Choi).

I'm fully expecting Barry Allen to beat Despero via talk-no-jutsu and love. It's going to be bad.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I called it, but it's not like it wasn't a very sure bet.

I'm all for using weird comic characters, but when their solution every time is just "style their hair and make them a coat with the character's colour scheme", there's a point where it's not even worth it.

I can confirm. The show's been on a pretty consistent decline. The first season was the best, and it had some bright spots towards the front-end, but the last few seasons have just been the absolute pits. Like, aggressively bad. It's insane that there's so much good Super television out there right now and Flash seems content to just crawl further into the toilet.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
All future appearances by Gorilla Grodd will just be him transplanting his mind into the body of a random guy in a suit and tie.

"We're down to our last five dollars, guys. Lets make this work."

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I called it, but it's not like it wasn't a very sure bet.

I'm all for using weird comic characters, but when their solution every time is just "style their hair and make them a coat with the character's colour scheme", there's a point where it's not even worth it.

Set photos from this event show Grant looking up at a stand-in for a CG model. I'm sure Despero will appear as his comic book look by the end.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Set photos from this event show Grant looking up at a stand-in for a CG model. I'm sure Despero will appear as his comic book look by the end.

I mean, I get that, but that's solely a conceit for the show that they keep using for budgetary reasons.

Imagine if Thanos was just some guy in a shitty costume for 90% of his appearances.

Yeah, the CW doesn't have remotely near 1% of the the budget of the MCU, but that's why you choose to make a Loki or a Kang a villain, rather than a Thanos or a Darkseid.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
In for Mia's return as Green Arrow. Wonder if we'll get any closure on the loose ends from the never optioned spin-off?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
In for Mia's return as Green Arrow. Wonder if we'll get any closure on the loose ends from the never optioned spin-off?

My guess is that we won't as that would be a lot to pack into what it already a pretty stuffed event. They would need to explain who took William, how it ties into Mia/Oliver's past and I assume get William back -- while Mia is in the past. I don't think all of these guest stars are in all five episodes either.

My hope is that they have larger plans for Mia down the line. I'm still disappointed that the spin-off didn't get picked up.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
No one is going to mention how Flash's suit look like something you would get for 5 bucks at the nearest shop ?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No one is going to mention how Flash's suit look like something you would get for 5 bucks at the nearest shop ?

Oh, it's been mentioned. They downgraded to this cheaper-looking fabric and brighter color in season 5 and made small improvements but it's still the worst suit he's had in the series. I'll quote myself from a different Flash thread yesterday:

I wish I had an answer for this. He had the same costume for the first three seasons (minor changes like the emblem turning white aside) and then they gave him a brand new costume in season 4, which I think was easily the best live action Flash suit. (Yes, better than Ezra's suit in the films.)

AR-308109954.jpg

THE-FLASH-BARRY-ALLEN-JACKET-3.jpg

And then in season 5, they switched to this thing:

i03nwdsxkal31.jpg

It looks cheaper, too much red without enough gold lines to offset it and the lack of a chin piece makes the cowl look very awkward.

They did improve on it for seasons 6 and 7 by fixing the cowl and adding more gold to it:

ddm6lle-6b4e7147-29f3-4aef-a887-453b5127fb04.png

But it still doesn't feel right. Both the fabric and the overly bright red don't work well on camera. They really need to go back to the darker red/maroon of the first four seasons. It sounds like a minor thing but the darker red works better in live action, especially on a television budget.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
Did i just heard Oliver in that trailer??

No. You heard Jefferson Pierce. You're talking about when someone tells Barry to run, right? That's Black Lightning.

I think Grant didn't really like the older suits ZeoVGM according to one interview he did. He didn't feel comfortable so they switched up the material of his newer suits. He's not going back to the leather suits. I do agree with what you said irt the color. Needs to be darker.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
No. You heard Jefferson Pierce. You're talking about when someone tells Barry to run, right? That's Black Lightning.

I think Grant didn't really like the older suits ZeoVGM according to one interview he did. He didn't feel comfortable so they switched up the material of his newer suits. He's not going back to the leather suits. I do agree with what you said irt the color. Needs to be darker.

Yeah, I'm sure it's much more comfortable. I really think simply giving that suit the darker color of the first 4 seasons would make a huge difference. I've seen some quick fan edits and it's noticeable.

I'm just glad they gave him the chin strap back in season 6 at least.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty glad I stopped watching Arrowverse. I don't even remember what season I left on. Legends was great but because they kept fucking up the other shows I had to drop that too.

Did they finally learn and shorten the seasons from 20+ episodes to around a dozen or are they still milking them with hallway drama?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Oliver had a daughter?!

Yeah. Season 7 and 8 spoilers:

They started doing a flash forward storyline in season 7 that introduced a future Team Arrow led by Mia, Oliver's daughter, and including Oliver's son (William),Diggle's adopted son (Connor) and Rene's daughter (Zoe).

In the final season, The Monitor transports Mia, William and Connor to the present day to help Oliver fight Crisis (and basically to allow Oliver to see his grown children since he'll never have the opportunity to otherwise). At the end of the season, Mia and William are back in the future but for whatever reason, Mia is back in present day to help Barry in this crossover.

They had a backdoor pilot for a spinoff with Mia, Earth-2 Laurel and Dinah called Green Arrow and the Canaries but The CW ended up passing on it.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Tony Curran is great, but I fell out of Flash a few seasons ago, and I don't think this will change that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Pretty glad I stopped watching Arrowverse. I don't even remember what season I left on. Legends was great but because they kept fucking up the other shows I had to drop that too.

Did they finally learn and shorten the seasons from 20+ episodes to around a dozen or are they still milking them with hallway drama?

Depends on the show.

The Flash and Batwoman are full seasons (or close to -- COVID has cut each of their last two seasons down to 19/20 instead of 22 -- not sure how that will play out this year).

Legends, Stargirl and Superman & Lois are 13-episode seasons.

(Legends is still great, btw.)

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

The latter. It's fully about quantity and not quality.

Just enough actual story content to cover maybe six episodes, spread over like twenty-six episodes.

They have changed things to a "graphic novel" format where they do distinct mini-arcs over the course of the season, but this hasn't been executed very well thus far (the bafflingly bad Force Family arc went on forever).

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They have changed things to a "graphic novel" format where they do distinct mini-arcs over the course of the season, but this hasn't been executed very well thus far (the bafflingly bad Force Family arc went on forever).
None of these shows have topped AOS when it came to pacing. RIP

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
AoS S4 will forever be the gold standard of having multiple arcs in a single standard-length season of television. 22 episodes but it felt like three seasons in one.
And all of it quality and fed into each other. It was goddam bigfoot riding a unicorn

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I like a lot of stuff Tony Curran has been in so I'm hoping he can elevate the material despite how is looks.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The latter. It's fully about quantity and not quality.

Just enough actual story content to cover maybe six episodes, spread over like twenty-six episodes.

Force family? What happened?

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, it's been mentioned. They downgraded to this cheaper-looking fabric and brighter color in season 5 and made small improvements but it's still the worst suit he's had in the series. I'll quote myself from a different Flash thread yesterday:

Leather suits are not good for stunt work and also expensive for replacing when they usually will need to go through several in a season's production. So yea they likely just went for cheaper and easier to work with materials.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Force family? What happened?

Barry and Iris created multiple new Forces by mistake (Still, Strength and Sage). These forces more or less gave their abilities to three people., much like Barry got the powers of the Speed Force. These three people refer to Barry and Iris as their parents. Barry and Iris refer to them as their children.

This might work if these three new Forces became people who just popped into existence and needed to learn how to be human while balancing their powers. But that isn't what happened.

They are normal people who got the powers of these new Forces. They already existed on this planet. They all have actual parents. But for some reason, they refer to Barry and Iris as their mom and dad while Barry and Iris refer to them as their children.

It is the most nonsensical and confusing writing decision, perhaps in the entire Arrowverse, and borderline creepy.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
I always love Flash threads.

Because I come into them and there's some mega sillyness going on that's fun to see from a distance, but then there's also another layer of fun!

Then someone says something like, it's been downhill since the great season 1.

And I'm like

that season 1?

that one, the only season I watched?

That one was good?

And if that one was considered good, imagine how I would feel about all of this!