DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
Finally got my gift box version of Kaen in the mail a few days ago, I think he might actually be one of my favourites of the six - the transformation is initially daunting, but makes intuitive sense going in reverse. The train mode is fantastic, as well, definitely one of the closest to feeling like an actual H0 scale model train.

The gift box itself is huge, and really nice to be able to put all six boxes together in one place.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I didn't find his alt mode so offputting.

That youtuber is correct that his vehicle mode looks more like Bumper than Bumblebee.

I'm pretty sure it's show accurate though. BumbleBee was always not a real beetle.

RrwN65l.jpeg

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It might be the hood's curvature not matching the cartoon that's throwing it off.

Probably. It comes to more of a point at the back which feels off. I also wish they could do something about the misalignment of the side pillar. I love the robot mode though.

I wish they would do more WFC/Earthrise reprints as I'm finding I really wish I'd picked more of them up when they were around.

Last edited:

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We are lucky the alt mode doesn't look like this:

GO3UTlxXAAEgyNO

More VW esque here:

GO3aH_FXkAAyjTV

And sorta blocky if you squint back end:

GO3aJ5sW0AAr0ej

And that is the extent of Bee's alt mode in the 86 movie. Robot mode is almost as scarce.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through the Transformers (Armada) PS2 game right now for the first time. I remember playing it on a demo disc or something back in the day, as Hot Shot in the Amazon level. But this game even 20 years later feels really really good. The Tidal Wave level, while the glider controls are less than great the whole approach, infiltration, and boss fight are just incredible. Like as you are going through the insides of the ship everything appears to scale, you can make out different sections that will become limbs and body parts later...it really excels at illustrating the whole city-bot concept. I know Metroplex was in the 2nd High Moon game but it didn't feel as tangible as this. Really happy they are making a new figure. Might actually get me to watch the show if I can ever get through Headmasters.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Has anyone here read the IDW "More Than Meets the Eye" run? I've just finished reading issues 14 to 16; "Remembrance Day" and "Under Cold Blue Stars" were particularly brutal. I love that they're not afraid to go for big emotional beats with these stories. There's real stakes at play.

Playing through the Transformers (Armada) PS2 game right now for the first time. I remember playing it on a demo disc or something back in the day, as Hot Shot in the Amazon level. But this game even 20 years later feels really really good. The Tidal Wave level, while the glider controls are less than great the whole approach, infiltration, and boss fight are just incredible. Like as you are going through the insides of the ship everything appears to scale, you can make out different sections that will become limbs and body parts later...it really excels at illustrating the whole city-bot concept. I know Metroplex was in the 2nd High Moon game but it didn't feel as tangible as this. Really happy they are making a new figure. Might actually get me to watch the show if I can ever get through Headmasters.

I really need to get back to that game sometime, I bought it on PS2 but didn't play much beyond the first stage. I do remember it looking pretty impressive for the console.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think most have read the IDW MTMTE/Robots in Disguise era, it was awesome. I kind of lost some interest when they did the crossover with the other Hasbro properties and then when they changed to Lost Light... I should probably go re-read it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

Melbourne House was top of the line at the time. The stuff they were pulling out of the Dreamcast and PS2 on Transformers, Looney Tunes: Space Race, and Le Mans 24 Hours was like black magic.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I think most have read the IDW MTMTE/Robots in Disguise era, it was awesome. I kind of lost some interest when they did the crossover with the other Hasbro properties and then when they changed to Lost Light... I should probably go re-read it.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in crossovers and I don't have high expectations for anything beyond the MTMTE/RID era that people seem to rave about. I'll keep on truckin' through the former and then see how I go with the latter. I've also managed to dig up "Last Stand of the Wreckers", which people seem to speak highly of and should help fill some context gaps in MTMTE.

Does Nick Roche stick around for a while? I adore his artwork, it's a huge part of the appeal of the whole affair for me. So colourful and dynamic.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
ShowZ sent me a update that they were getting more MS-02EX Light of Peace cartoon colors in. I didn't think they were planning on making any more.

showzstore.com

[Coming Soon] Magic Square MS-02EX Light of Peace Optimus Prime 2.0 Version

Magic Square's 3rd Party Figures take your collection to the next level with MS-02EX Light of Freedom, a Masterpiece scaled 3rd party figure that transforms from a Semi Truck to robot and back. Magic Square's MS-02 Light of Freedom stands 9.5 inches tall

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
ShowZ sent me a update that they were getting more MS-02EX Light of Peace cartoon colors in. I didn't think they were planning on making any more.

showzstore.com

[Coming Soon] Magic Square MS-02EX Light of Peace Optimus Prime 2.0 Version

Magic Square's 3rd Party Figures take your collection to the next level with MS-02EX Light of Freedom, a Masterpiece scaled 3rd party figure that transforms from a Semi Truck to robot and back. Magic Square's MS-02 Light of Freedom stands 9.5 inches tall

I just learned the current artist for the comic uses this figure for art reference.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if there is a omnibus for the transformers marvel comics 80 run series?

There have been a few collected TPB runs over the years. Not sure any of them are easy to get right now though. IDW did a series of big collections called The Transformers Classics (black covers with a character on them), which is probably the easiest to find these days but it has some "corrections" in it that some people hate, mostly coloring changes and some really low quality scans of some issues and even individual panels in places. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/The_Transformers_Classics

IDW's earlier collections, Classic Transformers, which have comic collage covers, have the original colors and better image quality, but did not have the license for Circuit Breaker early on, so her early appearances are summarized in text pages and not included as comics. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Classic_Transformers

Then there's the even older Titan Books collected editions, which are largely good quality but harder to find a complete set of now. https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Titan_Books

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if there is a omnibus for the transformers marvel comics 80 run series?

If you're going through the original run, please, please make sure to include as much of the UK content as possible which has also been reprinted at various points. Stories like Time Wars, Target: 2006 and City of Fear are bona fide classics that did a lot more for the characterisation of the 'bots during weak patches of the US run.

I made a suggested reading order many years ago back when Titan Books were doing the TPBs in the mid 2000s:

Transformers US #1-6 (Beginnings)

Transformers US #7-12 (New Order)

Transformers UK #45-50 (Dinobot Hunt)

Transformers US #13-16 (Cybertron Redux)

Transformers UK #59-65 (Second Generation)

Transformers US #17-18 (Cybertron Redux)

Transformers US #19-20 (Showdown)

Transformers UK #74-77 (Dinobot Hunt)

Transformers UK #78-88 (Target: 2006)

Transformers US #21-22 (Showdown)

Transformers UK #93 (Second Generation)

Transformers US #23 (Showdown)

Transformers UK #96-100 (Prey)

Transformers UK #101-102 (Fallen Angel)

Transformers UK #103-104 (Prey)

Transformers US #24 (Showdown)

Transformers US #25-27 (Breakdown)

Transformers UK #113-120, Annual (Fallen Angel)

Transformers US #28-30 (Breakdown)

Transformers US #31 (Treason)

Transformers UK #130-131 (Time Wars)

Headmasters #1-4 (Trial By Fire)

Transformers UK #132 (City of Fear)

Transformers UK #133-134 (Legacy of Unicron))

Transformers UK #135-136 (Prey)

Transformers UK #137-138 (Legacy of Unicron)

Transformers US #32 (Treason)

Transformers US #35-36 (Treason)

Transfomers UK #145 (Second Generation)

Transformers UK #146-153 (Legacy of Unicron)

Transformers US #37 (Treason)

Transformers US #38-39 (Trial By Fire)

Transformers UK #160-161 (Space Pirates)

Transformers US #40 (Maximum Force)

Transformers UK #164-171 (City of Fear)

Transformers UK #172-173 (Space Pirates)

Transformers US #41-42, 44 (Maximum Force)

Transformers UK #182-187 (Space Pirates)

Transformers UK #188 (City of Fear)

Transformers UK #189 (Time Wars)

Transformers US #45 (Maximum Force)

Transformers US #46-48 (Dark Star)

Transformers UK #198 (Second Generation)

Transformers UK #199-205 (Time Wars)

Transformers US #49-50 (Dark Star)

Transformers US #51-55 (Last Stand)

Transformers US #56-62 (Primal Scream)

Transformers US #63-68 (Matrix Quest)

Transformers US #69-74 (All Fall Down)

Transformers US #75-80 (End Of The Road)

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
The UK stuff is even harder to get. The TPBs IDW put out routinely go for $100+. And they didn't even finish them!

I would say the truly definitive G1 compilation series has yet to be made, honestly.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Appears to have been pushed to February next year, but still good news. The GI Joe one got a fancy kickstarter. Strange the Transformers ones did not.

Oct 26, 2017
So, they're kicking off their MPG line with... obscure repaints of Hoist and Ironhide. Like, isn't it enough to have $25 deluxes shelfwarm because noone cares about Lift Ticket and *checks notes* DK-2 Guard? Do they think they'll sell more as $150 masterpieces?

I'm looking forward to Super Ginrai, but I wonder where they're taking this line. There's still a few fan favourites they haven't gotten around to, but I'm wondering if it's already time for remakes of more old figures. Because let's face it, even with some people skipping a character they already own from 15 years ago, there has to be less diminishing returns in making another Hot Rod or Grimlock or Prowl or Soundwave than there is in trying to catch the 100 insane collectors who absolutely need to own every colour of every mold.

Careful. That Tidal Wave figure looks great but insanely expensive at this point. I'm just happy that my AEC and Beast Wars interest has mostly waned, or I would be compelled to buy a lot of Legacy figures. AEC brought me back into Transformers (along with Binaltech) and I owned a lot of the figures, but I've cleared them all out by now. Only possibly thinking of getting the Vector Prime.

That game was awesome, but I just can't be bothered to get a PS2 up and running again (disc read errors all day) to play on SCART.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will wait the 3-6 months to get Tidal Wave at 75% off at Ross's or something. MSRP is crazy.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I mean they're "kicking off their MPG line" but really it's just a continuation of repaints that we were getting with Masterpiece (probably planned for MP) so I don't see that as alarming at all. I mean Yellow Hoist was one of the last MPs too.

DarkOxygen

Oct 30, 2017
Legacy G1 Sandstorm is fantastic, everything I hoped for. Fun and interesting transformations, good articulation, and solid, hefty feel. 10/10.

Time to play Darude on repeat for the rest of the day.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Shame about Tidal Wave's knee ratchet issues, made me cancel my preorder. Just had Titan Nemesis arrive this week from BBTS so I'm good till FortMax releases later in fall.

Seeing Quake as a retool of Skullgrin is kinda disappointing. I have Spinister and Needlenose so I might pick him up out of completion sake. Slipstream looks good, just wish she had 5mm ports in her shoulders for the nullrays.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I bought a ThreeZero Bumblebee Optimus Prime 3A on ebay, but now I'm too embarrassed to tell anyone because I've spent the last few weeks telling everyone how much I wanted it but wasn't going to buy it because it was a ridiculous indulgence.

So I'm telling you people. I'm feeling very conflicted emotions about my purchase.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I really like this little Optimus. My Missing Link release needs to stay safe at home, but this guy seems like he'd be a great deskbot for the office or just something fun to keep nearby to flip back and forth.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'm gonna pick up G1 Prime. I was thinking about ML Prime but the price just hurts atm with stuff coming soon. G1 Prime suits my needs just fine, will probably be a nice travel bot.

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that tiny prime is cute as hell. Didn't think I'd want it. Same with the gobots 3-pack, those repaints are doing it for me. I wish they didn't have autobot/cons insignias, but hey.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty aggravated at myself that I see a few things I like about this figure when in back of my mind I'm like "this shouldn't exist! go get Missing Link instead!".

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's really wild that this and Missing Link are being released around the same time. I have to think that mold detailing means either the toy decals will be painted in or there will be a version where they are.

Will definitely pick him up.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's really wild that this and Missing Link are being released around the same time. I have to think that mold detailing means either the toy decals will be painted in or there will be a version where they are.

Will definitely pick him up.
That's the thing, I feel like we are back in a mode where you can wait and there will be a Takara release with better paint again.

Like I'm wondering if the to-be-announced Leader Soundwave will be identical to the Nemesis Bridge Soundwave that just released.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
What I would like most in terms of G1 Optimus tributes (besides the ML we already got) would be an MP-scale G1 Optimus and a G1-scale MP Optimus.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Voyager Soundwave just has Rumble, Ravage, and Buzzsaw. :(

Pretty disappointed that they're bumping up the price on the Netflix Soundwave and couldn't even spring for a new cassette mold.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
On the other hand, I'm already annoyed about having to rebuy it if I want Buzzsaw so having to rebuy a non remolded figure just to get a new cassette would irk me even more.

I'm also annoyed that they re-released Metalhawk in a new but only slightly different deco so soon.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I just got the Takara Dramatic Capture Series Soundwave, so no matter how much I may want Buzzsaw I can't justify buying this new Soundwave. I'm glad the Netflix mold is at least more easily available now, but I wish it at least had remolded arms.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, comparing it to my Dramatic Capture one there are some paint app differences but otherwise the same figure. Some red on the shoulder is missing, the red on the missile launcher might be missing (it is inconsistent). Leader has red on the gun though and Dramatic Capture doesn't.

The eyes on the DC figure are REALLY dark, and the Leader seems to maybe have lightened them up a bit. Also the gold paint around the cassette door is different in placement and slight difference in color, though it might just be the picture.

Ravage is the same, Rumble is a lot darker purple.

I don't know if I would call either version perfect but they both are better than the Netflix one at least. I would feel more tempted if they removed the landing gear from the arms but otherwise I don't care about Buzzsaw that much.

Last edited: