• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
From her interview in the Financial Times:

My espresso has arrived. Clinton asks for more iced tea. I cannot allow the lunch to end without questioning the direction of her party. I say that Democrats seem to be going out of their way to lose elections by elevating activist causes, notably the transgender debate, which are relevant only to a small minority. What sense does it make to depict JK Rowling as a fascist? To my surprise, Clinton shares the premise of my question. "We are standing on the precipice of losing our democracy, and everything that everybody else cares about then goes out the window," she says. "Look, the most important thing is to win the next election. The alternative is so frightening that whatever does not help you win should not be a priority."
Not sure why anyone would take political advice from Hillary Goddamn Clinton, but happy pride, small minority comrades!

(Previously.)

Last edited:

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
That line about sharing the premise is doing a lot of work. I don't see how Clinton's response aligns to the previous sentence or the thread title.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
While it wouldn't fully surprise me... this seems like 99. 9% more the author stating his own opinion through his Clinton interview

I'd want to see the the unedited transcripts

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow... because standing up for those that are taking the brunt of the bigoted, undeserved, immoral hate from all parts of the media and whatnot is less important then winning elections...

Fuck this line of reasoning. You either believe in equality for all or you don't. It's irrelevant that trans issues don't/won't affect most of the population. You stand up for our trans kin out of principle.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I think the premise is "Democrats seem to be going out of their way to lose elections by elevating activist causes", not that the transgender debate is not worthwhile.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
From her interview in the Financial Times:

My espresso has arrived. Clinton asks for more iced tea. I cannot allow the lunch to end without questioning the direction of her party. I say that Democrats seem to be going out of their way to lose elections by elevating activist causes, notably the transgender debate, which are relevant only to a small minority. What sense does it make to depict JK Rowling as a fascist? To my surprise, Clinton shares the premise of my question. "We are standing on the precipice of losing our democracy, and everything that everybody else cares about then goes out the window," she says. "Look, the most important thing is to win the next election. The alternative is so frightening that whatever does not help you win should not be a priority."
Not sure why anyone would take political advice from Hillary Goddamn Clinton, but happy pride, small minority comrades!

(Previously.)

Im genuinely trying to understand how you are making that leap OP, from the one excerpt you posted.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I doubt most dems don't think the same as the interviewer tbh, all that matters is winning and activists for them are a obstacle

But what good is winning if they can't do shit after that

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's on the interviewer with that super super loaded question. The answer is fine

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
Just looking at the text it was clear that the Rowling comment was from the Interviewer who is a total asshole for thinking that Rowling of not a piece of shit

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
Getting real bored of the framing of it being a "trans debate", or "women's rights debate".

It ain't a debate, trans lives are human lives.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
"Clinton shares the premise of my question" is a bit of a stretch here when the awful claim proposed by the interviewer is different to the one given by Clinton when she answers. It's not a great answer. But I'm not sure it's 'sharing the premise' given by the interviewer either.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
That's not what she is saying at all...y'all need reading comprehension

Bullshit. She is asked directly about ignoring transphobia and immediately responds that anything that doesn't help them win should not be a priority. She's absolutely throwing the trans community under the bus.

Ultryx

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yeah I don't buy this from a tiny excerpt where she's clearly concerned about the political future. And she's not wrong about losing our democracy at this point.

OP
OP
hachikoma

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the premise is "Democrats seem to be going out of their way to lose elections by elevating activist causes", not that the transgender debate is not worthwhile.
Democrats aren't elevating our cause to start with. We're in the news because of intentional conservative froth and our defending ourselves from genocidal legislative and administrative attacks.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the dismissal this thread is getting is EXACTLY the point that OP is making, people...

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
What Politicians are they even talking about? Who is losing elections due to elevating activist causes? This seems like conflating the things liberals talk about on twitter with the actually party platform?

Also, yes this seems to basically be the interviewer inserting own editorial opinion in the place of the interviewee.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Does it state what the actual question asked was? The way the paragraph is worded is weird and sort of just editorializes the conversation.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
I can't even tell what question is being asked. This interview is editorialized to hell and back.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's true that nothing matters more than the republicans losing. The reality is our democracy is at stake and everything and everyone is tied to it. But I also don't want to see two elites discussing which groups of people are relevant enough to help over their 400 dollar lunch.

What really frustrates me though is that whenever enlightened centrists are saying this stuff there's almost never a sense of the weight behind bargaining people's lives on these tactical decisions. They don't offer solutions for how we can combat the GOP's hateful propaganda to make the issues less toxic. There's no strategy brought forward on how we can stop, or at least curb the gains republicans make with the power we have now. It's always just under the bus you go. It's very clear in a lot of instances they just don't want or care to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.