• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
In October Genderqueer fans of Stardew Valley asked for pronouns to be added to the game.

www.thepinknews.com

Transphobes are doxxing Stardew Valley fans just because they asked for pronouns

Stardew Valley players are reportedly being doxxed by transphobes after a petition to add pronouns to the game went viral.

"However, the call has resulted in abuse from anti-LGBTQ+ fans of the game, who have targeted streamers and members of the community by either purposefully misgendering them, sending abuse, or doxxing them."

8o49hy.jpg

Why are cisgender bigots so fucking fragile when it comes to being inclusive? It's Starfield all over again.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
They're idiots. Thankfully the stardew valley dev is amazing so the pronouns will get added in.

Surprised there's these fuckers within the stardew community tbh. It's usually positive and wholesome.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's bonkers how pronouns really send so many people off the deep end

It's something you normally get asked at the start of a game, it takes 1 second to select the ones you want, and then you move on. Even if you're a weirdo who resents picking their pronouns, it still takes 1 second at the start of a game, and Stardew saves can run 100s of hours long

Imagine being such a child that you'd rather have that one second of your 100 hour save back than just deal with it so other players can enjoy their game to the same degree you can

Of all the things in the world to get upset at, this is the thing they dedicate time and effort into? The hypnotical potential that they may be added into the game at some point?

There is a lot of grass out there going untouched lol

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Now I just hope pronouns will be mandatory in the game. Fuck bigots.

Also I should play SV.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck those fuckers. Let pronouns be added to the game.

Those bigots are the same kind of people who probably got upset as a kid if they got called a girl, almost as if misgendering and getting referred to by the wrong pronouns isn't nice.

And yes, if you haven't played Stardew Valley, you should.

finaljedi

Jul 15, 2018
Cincinnati, OH

It's something you normally get asked at the start of a game, it takes 1 second to select the ones you want, and then you move on. Even if you're a weirdo who resents picking their pronouns, it still takes 1 second at the start of a game, and Stardew saves can run 100s of hours long

Imagine being such a child that you'd rather have that one second of your 100 hour save back than just deal with it so other players can enjoy their game to the same degree you can

Of all the things in the world to get upset at, this is the thing they dedicate time and effort into? The hypnotical potential that they may be added into the game at some point?

They were upset at Starfield, a game where you could actually miss the pronoun selector if it doesn't matter to you. But its existence was a pebble in their shoe.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
i feel like these must be people who have never played sdv for a minute in their lives and are just taking the opportunity to be vicious to trans people in passing, because the game is already incredibly gay and the visual differences between male and female player avatars are absolutely miniscule

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
I simply can't fathom being a fan of Stardew Valley and anti-LGBT at the same time. Wish bigots would stop hassling other people's lives and get lives themselves.

Garulon

Jul 22, 2020

I'd have thought that weird egg thing crying about them being in Starfield for ten minutes straight would have made it radioactively cringy but I guess it's too much to expect any kind of self-reflection from chuds

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
I'm susprised pronouns aren't already in there.

Either way: Fuck those idiots. What are they even doing in such a wholesome and diverse game?

MarcBurner

Feb 21, 2024
Are there any trans people in the game apart from possibly the player character?

Also, hey trans people, you're real and I love you.

Sir Lucan

Dec 19, 2023
People getting triggered by a feature they'll see for 10 seconds when creating your character and then never see it again.

But then again, Eiyuden Chronicle is getting bad reviews from some people because a character dares to question whether a robot is a "he".

Sigh.

echasketchers

Jul 15, 2021
United States
I'm trans and personally don't need to have pronoun selection in every game but it's always nice to see. it literally doesn't hurt anyone to have options, wtf is wrong with these people. go outside, live your life.

A.M.

Community Resettler
I... didn't know these people existed lmao. It'd be like being an homophobic Splatoon player.

Bigots, -phobes, self loath and beratement of the community and others you're part of, etc.? I wish these things didn't exist.
And.. sadly, yeah, TLI(plus more) globally hated for the most part, it feels like.

I wish this wasn't the case.

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
I'm sure ConcernedApe will add them and ignore the idiots. Always been good about that kind of thing.

Though I do find it a strange request as I'm not even sure the game ever uses the players pronouns, or at least does so so infrequently I can't even recall a time lol

PallasKitten

Jul 11, 2022
i feel like these must be people who have never played sdv for a minute in their lives and are just taking the opportunity to be vicious to trans people in passing, because the game is already incredibly gay and the visual differences between male and female player avatars are absolutely miniscule
There's definitely a bunch of chuds that will throw a temper tantrum over games they've never played, and would never be interested in playing anyway. I've seen it countless times at this point, like them getting huffy over the "fragile male ego" line in a COMPLETELY OPTIONAL skit called the "backstage" in The House in Fata Morgana, where the characters constantly break the 4th wall and then tease the next game at the end. It's not even part of the main story, and has been subsequently cut from the console releases. But given how Fata Morgana has LGBT+ characters and plenty of other "wokeness", I could just tell all the people losing their minds over it had probably never even heard of the game before that "controversy" blew up.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
lmao it will be added and I will drink the bigots precious tears.

I'm sure ConcernedApe will add them and ignore the idiots. Always been good about that kind of thing.

Though I do find it a strange request as I'm not even sure the game ever uses the players pronouns, or at least does so so infrequently I can't even recall a time lol

Their bigotry will just get the pronouns fastracked thankfully. What a bunch of chuds.

From the article it seems that the devs silence has also been a point of contention

"Transphobes are doxxing and harassing members of your Stardew Valley community simply because they are advocating for a pronoun update," the user wrote. "It is extremely important for you to speak up for them."

The lack of response has led some to suggest a boycott of the game until either a statement is made or pronouns are added to the game.

"I truly do not care if ConcernedApe speaks on pronouns in the game any more," one user said. "I want [him] to condemn the transphobia and violence against the trans members of the community."

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Can't truly ignore signal boosted chuds, but there's no worry that ConcernedApe will do the right thing and Stardew is a known mainstay and "the* farming sim of choice so that's not a concern either. Their transphobia has no power here

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to point out, not everyone who uses They/Them and/or identifies as non-binary is a trans person. Very often these situations are discussed in a way that assumes they are. Not blaming anyone, btw, just an FYI.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How could you claim to be a fan of Stardew Valley of all things and also be a bigot? It's one of the most inclusive/diverse indie games out there.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Just want to point out, not everyone who uses They/Them and/or identifies as non-binary is a trans person.

100%

I will never, for the life of me, understand how or why people get so tilted over pronouns.

They don't really, they're just mad at genderqueer people, being mad at a person's autonomy over pronouns is a smokescreen for deeper transphobia rooted in white supremacism which in turn all transphobia, homophobia, fat phobia etc has its roots in white supremacist, colonial ideals and hatred of "otherness" and in their eyes "impurity".

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Just want to point out, not everyone who uses They/Them and/or identifies as non-binary is a trans person. Very often these situations are discussed in a way that assumes they are. Not blaming anyone, btw, just an FYI.
As a trans-identifying Enby myself... Trans = Non-Cis, and Non-Binary = Non-Cis so surely Non-Binary = Trans, no?

I'm not going to die on a hill to tell people what their identities are, but just while the topic is here I don't quite grasp how someone can be Non-Binary and also not Trans.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Game companies need to tell these overly sensitive censorious whiny obnoxious toxic abusive pathetic weird pissbabies trying and failing to pretend they're not horrible bigots, screeching, throwing tantrums about and ruining things over the most trivial of nothings, to fuck off already. No one wants them around.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
It never ceases to amaze how much certain people absolutely seethe over the idea of "pronouns", something literally every person has, even if you're cis.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm really not surprised, 'pronouns' really is an activation phrase for the most pathetic people to start melting down.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Does Stardew even use pronouns? I thought characters usually referred to the farmer as "the farmer". I really can't remember.

The obvious: the transphobia against the people asking is unjustifiable.

I think boycotting the game because of Barone's lack of response is too much, he never really was the most communicative dev. But it's entirely on their (the players) right to do so.

This also is not so simple as slapping they/them. Stardew is translated in many languages.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

It's absolutely bonkers since it's a such a small part of the English language.
Like if you wanna have gender in English, it's mostly pronouns!
Most latin language have gender modifier on knowns and it can even affect the form a verb could take.
Like it's absolutely impossible to ignore but in english it's basically some pronouns and that's it.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It never ceases to amaze how much certain people absolutely seethe over the idea of "pronouns", something literally every person has, even if you're cis.
it honestly makes me wonder how they'd react if we all just decided that since they think pronouns are so silly and irrelevant, we just misgender these assholes constantly and see how they like it

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
PRONOUNS!

*Sees several losers starting a meltdown.*

Every. Single. Time. And they call people other than them snowflakes...

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
It's always so weird to me how people are so mad at inclusivity.. like you really have the time to be hating on someone else being included and happy? That trash not fighting their own battles instead of going to war for others happiness?

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
it honestly makes me wonder how they'd react if we all just decided that since they think pronouns are so silly and irrelevant, we just misgender these assholes constantly and see how they like it

Thing is by misgendering a bigot it just says to them that misgendering is acceptable if you're doing it too. Far best way is shutting down their ability to speak by any means possible (fuck around and find out) whether that's kicking them out of a community for running their mouth, dislocating their jaw, banning them or allies to actually stick up for genderqueer folks.