• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I simply can't fathom being a fan of Stardew Valley and anti-LGBT at the same time. Wish bigots would stop hassling other people's lives and get lives themselves.

For better or worse it doesn't strike me as strange or even conflicting. SV and games like it in that leave the urban and farm somewhere deep in rural lands that contemporaneity hasn't touched, they're very easy to shape into the mold of the fantasy that queer people are a thing of modernity and don't fit into places that align "closer to nature" where urban aberrations are weak against the truth of the wilderness. Cozyness means a lot of things to different people and to some it will be acceptance of transphobia and homophobia. SV has always been very aligned with cozy/minority/queer/progressive fandoms but that's just a subset of its community, and the rest has a place for these kinds of hateful people.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is by misgendering a bigot it just says to them that misgendering is acceptable if you're doing it too. Far best way is shutting down their ability to speak by any means possible (fuck around and find out) whether that's kicking them out of a community for running their mouth, dislocating their jaw, banning them or allies to actually stick up for genderqueer folks.
Oh yeah I'm not saying I'd actually do it or that we should, just that it sometimes feels tempting

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's immediately patched in and you must choose them regardless of how new or old your save is. Fuck these people.

Doub

Nov 11, 2020
Like why the fuck do you pour energy to hate on other people
You don't agree with dev's decision fine but go along with your merry life and leave people alone for fuck's sake
Disheartening that people get angry for something that has zero real impact on their life and would make somebody else happy

Sheev

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bigots liking Stardew seems like such an oxymoron, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised these days. Fuck 'em either way, transphobes can fuck off into the sun.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Should be handing out bans for this shit, no idea if it's possible in Stardew, etc.

Seik

Banned
Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
The lenghts and hoops some assholes are willing to jump through just to not let other people being treated fairly always is impressive, and depressing, fuck em.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
8o49hy.jpg

*saves pictures*

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
I've been like, deeply obsessed with stardew and the modding scene and even watching streams for the past month and I have seen _nothing_ about any of this in the past month, weird. First I've heard of this at all. Obviously it is not acceptable for any harassment to be occurring though.

The main mods page on Nexus is full of all kinds of queer content and I've never seen any pushback

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I'll never understand how so many idiots are triggered by a fundamental aspect of language.

everyone-has-pronouns-v0-yxhhgvqxubaa1.jpg

Branaghs

Oct 27, 2017
Be upset all you want, but most have already paid for this game and CA is really good at this stuff. I can't wait for this to drop.

You all are real and we love you!

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
As a trans-identifying Enby myself... Trans = Non-Cis, and Non-Binary = Non-Cis so surely Non-Binary = Trans, no?

I'm not going to die on a hill to tell people what their identities are, but just while the topic is here I don't quite grasp how someone can be Non-Binary and also not Trans.
A lot of people interpret "trans" as only referring to people that switch from one gender binary to the other, including non-binary people that don't consider themselves trans. As these are self-applied labels meant to make people feel better about themselves, I think it's good to not force strict definitions on them.

thethickofit

Feb 1, 2018
As a trans-identifying Enby myself... Trans = Non-Cis, and Non-Binary = Non-Cis so surely Non-Binary = Trans, no?

I'm not going to die on a hill to tell people what their identities are, but just while the topic is here I don't quite grasp how someone can be Non-Binary and also not Trans.
Words are overloaded! "Trans" has multiple meanings, there's the idea of the "trans umbrella" which includes nonbinary people. But individual nonbinary people may or may not identify as trans, depending on a number of factors such as whether they've changed their general appearance or are medically transitioning.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
Words are overloaded! "Trans" has multiple meanings, there's the idea of the "trans umbrella" which includes nonbinary people. But individual nonbinary people may or may not identify as trans, depending on a number of factors such as whether they've changed their general appearance or are medically transitioning.

Labels are labels, it isn't good to lump people into categories they aren't comfortable with. A lot people who happen to live outside of their gender assigned at birth and have the privilege to do so without compromising their security will reject being labeled as trans so they don't have to worry about being targeted, and many others that don't have the privilege or safety to be themselves will reject being labeled trans as well for that reason.

They're all valid.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
A lot of people interpret "trans" as only referring to people that switch from one gender binary to the other, including non-binary people that don't consider themselves trans. As these are self-applied labels meant to make people feel better about themselves, I think it's good to not force strict definitions on them.

Totally fair views and I appreciate both of you for teaching me this viewpoint. I think it's my programmer brain thinking in absolute terms of like, if Cis = (int 0) then Trans = (any float value > 0). I'll do a better job of correcting myself because you're both completely correct that it's up to the individual to decide that regardless of my subjective idea of what being trans means

Jul 15, 2020
I wish I could say I was baffled by this, but unfortunately some folk are complete and utter losers who have rejected humanity and seek to let others know on any platform afforded to them.

Yet, that's the thing: they are losers and will lose the war. Old enough to have family and friends with teenage kids and they bat not an eyelid at this bullshit that insecure middle-aged men (for the most part) are peddling.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why is kindness so fucking hard for people? Or just leaving folks alone?

We have a lot of long-standing traditions across a variety of faiths and cultures that teach their own superiority. The end result is that cruelty comes casually and easily once those beliefs are internalized. It shuts down a lot of recognition of the harm and cruelty that is actually being done by practicing the belief, or at least leveraging the belief to maintain one's own sense of superiority.

The kinda good news is, I think the fact that folks that get up in arms over something like the player having the option to select or input their pronouns in a fucking video game means that the legitimacy of their sense of superiority has long been pretty well undermined and all that's left to do is grasp at whatever stupid ass straws are still standing.

But I also don't want pointing that out to mean that it's not doing harm. It is. This process really sucks to see happen more and more often, but I think it's a sign that those ideas have been intellectually pretty damn defeated if we're to take any upsides. We just have to survive the death thrashing and making sure it doesn't kill our ability to keep moving forward toward better and more inclusive ideas.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I don't get it? It's just an option right? What does it matter? They aren't being forced to play as anything.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Hoping they add it in a patch. The bigots are irrelevant it would just be a nice treat for those that want it. But I also hope the ones flinging abuse and hate trip and eat shit offline.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Totally fair views and I appreciate both of you for teaching me this viewpoint. I think it's my programmer brain thinking in absolute terms of like, if Cis = (int 0) then Trans = (any float value > 0). I'll do a better job of correcting myself because you're both completely correct that it's up to the individual to decide that regardless of my subjective idea of what being trans means
Thanks for asking the question, because I appreciated reading the discussion and viewpoints about it.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a bunch of chuds that will throw a temper tantrum over games they've never played, and would never be interested in playing anyway. I've seen it countless times at this point, like them getting huffy over the "fragile male ego" line in a COMPLETELY OPTIONAL skit called the "backstage" in The House in Fata Morgana, where the characters constantly break the 4th wall and then tease the next game at the end. It's not even part of the main story, and has been subsequently cut from the console releases. But given how Fata Morgana has LGBT+ characters and plenty of other "wokeness", I could just tell all the people losing their minds over it had probably never even heard of the game before that "controversy" blew up.
Yeah, hunters on behalf of the Patriarch.

OP
OP
T002 Tyrant

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for asking the question, because I appreciated reading the discussion and viewpoints about it.

A bit of self promotion here but one of my jobs is I'm a consultant on trans and non-binary issues, so I'm happy to answer DMs on questions people are too scared to ask without sounding transphobic or enbyphobic or they think it's a "stupid" question. So if you or anyone have any questions or opinions related to being genderqueer I'm happy to do so too.

I don't tend to advertise that fact about me but hey ho.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
A bit of self promotion here but one of my jobs is I'm a consultant on trans and non-binary issues, so I'm happy to answer DMs on questions people are too scared to ask without sounding transphobic or enbyphobic or they think it's a "stupid" question. So if you or anyone have any questions or opinions related to being genderqueer I'm happy to do so too.

I don't tend to advertise that fact about me but hey ho.
That's great, thanks.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
There is a decently sized section of the LGB community that wants nothing to do with the T part.

It's actually a very small part. Survey after survey shows overwhelming support for trans people from the LGB community - 70% to 80% strongly support, across multiple countries.

The media blows the "LGB without the T" part out of all proportion because it plays well with their overarching anti-trans narrative and hatred. But the vast majority of queer people support our trans allies.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
There is a decently sized section of the LGB community that wants nothing to do with the T part.
New research by Just Like Us has found that lesbians are the most likely of the whole LGBTQ+ community to be supportive of trans people. Lesbians are the most likely to say they know a trans person (92%), and also the most likely to say they are "supportive" or "very supportive" of trans people (96%). That's compared to 89% of LGBTQ+ people overall, and just 69% of non-LGBTQ+ people.
www.gaytimes.co.uk

'Lesbians being anti-trans is a lesbophobic trope'

Amy Ashenden, Interim CEO of Just Like Us, is dispelling the harmful trope that lesbians are against the trans community.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Is this site credible? I don't doubt this is story is true, anti-LGBTQ folks are always out there, but where are they getting these quotes and/or information from? It says Twitch, but doesn't mention any details at all, only vaguely mentioning a couple "users" talking about it...

Last edited:

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Feb 1, 2024
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobia, Account in Junior Phase
The devs were getting heat just for not including pronouns. I wish we could be honest with the news hear.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm a gamer and I don't.... Shit.... Me gamer... Gamer hate pronouns, gamer no use them... Fuck.

It's so exhausting and sad to have to share a planet with people who, on top of being so entitled and filled with hate, are this fucking stupid.