• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
*cries in San Franciscan*

Good on her though. Looks like a nice place.

Taking advantage of the pandemic sales like a boss.

AAOBP0l.img

AAOBI7g.img

AAOBKKF.img

AAOBRto.img

Nabongo, 37, had no intention to move out of her sixth-floor condo, but when a one-bedroom unit on the 14th floor in her co-op building with a better view of the Detroit River went on the market for $65,000, she thought, why not buy another? The day after the unit was listed, she made a $44,000 cash offer and got the place.

"I like to think of myself as a really amazing negotiator," Nabongo tells CNBC Make It. "Given the incredibly short period of time and my cash offer, I was able to get the price down and I sweetened the deal by telling them that I could do a cash offer within ten days."

Nabongo splits her time between her two units. She lives and entertains in the newly-renovated unit on the 14th floor, and uses her sixth-floor condo as an office and storage space for everything from her Peloton bike to the artwork that she collects.

"Travel makes me so happy," Nabongo says. "But coming home into this space just brings me joy like no other."

Booya_base

Oct 31, 2017
Jersey
Everything about this is awesome, the idea of getting a second cheap, place, how it's decorated, especially the paint.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hum, what is the news here? That it was cheap? I feel like I'm missing something.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
What an amazing apartment, and also quite an incredible accomplishment. I always wonder how people visit every country in the world when, IIRC, some countries prevent you from entering if you've been to certain countries - does she have multiple passports?

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Housing market was really low in the Detroit area pre-pandemic. It was so bad people just boarded them up depending where it was and let them sit because the low prices they were selling for just not being worth it to sell. Not sure what it is now, but 100k for a refurbished house all in is pretty good.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, so outside of what she's paid for it, how is this any different than rich people buying up homes while there's a distinct lack of cheap housing? Is it OK because it was cheap housing?

I mean, great for her that she has an extra office now, and I can't blame her since she wasn't living large. But she still took cheap housing away from someone who could've really needed it. If she wanted to live larger, she also could've sold her place, and place her cash on a single, but bigger house or apartment.

edit: I also don't give a shit she's a travel influencer. Love to see the news report and/or threads talking about 'dental receptionist buys a two bedroom apartment'.

Oct 27, 2017
That apartment is like exactly the size/style I'd like. It's nice and small but still feels like it has plenty of room to move around. The colors and interior design are amazing too, I would never be able to figure out a layout like that.

Girls Def got taste. Small kitchens drive me insane tho.
To be fair, she has two kitchens.

Wait, so outside of what she's paid for it, how is this any different than rich people buying up homes while there's a distinct lack of cheap housing? Is it OK because it was cheap housing?

I mean, great for her that she has an extra office now, and I can't blame her since she wasn't living large. But she still took cheap housing away from someone who could've really needed it. If she wanted to live larger, she also could've sold her place, and place her cash on a single, but bigger house or apartment.

edit: I also don't give a shit she's a travel influencer. Love to see the news report and/or threads talking about 'dental receptionist buys a two bedroom apartment'.

This is someone buying excess real estate. They're not gentrifying the region or driving up the average price in the market since it really doesn't get any cheaper than Detroit.

I live in the Bay Area so I know what a shit market due to too much money and not enough sense looks like.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
This is someone buying excess real estate. They're not gentrifying the region or driving up the average price in the market since it really doesn't get any cheaper than Detroit.

I live in the Bay Area so I know what a shit market due to too much money and not enough sense looks like.

What? It's the definition of gentryfying. She bought the apartment at a discount thanks to her huge cash offer (before anyone else got a chance) and subsequently doubled the price of the condo by putting 50k+ into renovations.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Needs to knock down that partition on the bar and open it up. Hate small kitchens with a window setup that makes it even smaller than it already is.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Condo's going to cost a hell of a lot more than 44k next time

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Why is this being reported lol? At first I thought we were supposed to make fun of it.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I do not feel great about people owning multiple pieces of property.
At least it's for personal use (for now).
Not sure what the story is though, this happens hourly.

That said she did a nice job.

Oct 27, 2017
The $44k apartment would now sell for more than $96k, so her actions have literally driven up the average price by a small amount.

She put basically as much into remodeling the apartment as its list price. The return on that investment does not even out, not even remotely.

It's like someone bought a $500 car and then upgraded/repaired it with $700. Yeah now it'll be worth more than $500 but good luck convincing anyone that it's worth paying $1200 for it.

I also brought up that there is a lot of real estate available in Detroit and if you look at the minimum wage of Detroit ($9.65/hour) it looks like there is plenty of real estate available that's actually well within the budget of a minimum wage worker.

What? It's the definition of gentryfying. She bought the apartment at a discount thanks to her huge cash offer (before anyone else got a chance) and subsequently doubled the price of the condo by putting 50k+ into renovations.

Again, that's not how property works. You don't get back everything that you put into modifying a place. Yes, the price will go up a little since a lot of old appliances and fixtures were replaced but if she resold it today, it would be for less than the initial purchase price + remodeling cost.

That's not even considering how saturated the Detroit housing market is. I wouldn't be surprised if the seller was thinking it would take a long time and a lot of negotiating before they could get rid of the apartment.

Deleted member 87949

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2020
She put basically as much into remodeling the apartment as its list price. The return on that investment does not even out, not even remotely.

It's like someone bought a $500 car and then upgraded/repaired it with $700. Yeah now it'll be worth more than $500 but good luck convincing anyone that it's worth paying $1200 for it.

I also brought up that there is a lot of real estate available in Detroit and if you look at the minimum wage of Detroit ($9.65/hour) it looks like there is plenty of real estate available that's actually well within the budget of a minimum wage worker.

You made a claim that she didn't raise the average price, which is not correct unless the improvements added $0 to the value.

Normally with house remodelling you can increase the price by MORE than the value of the improvements. This is why house flipping is a thing. It doesn't work like a car, houses don't depreciate.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Normally with house remodelling you can increase the price by MORE than the value of the improvements. This is why house flipping is a thing. It doesn't work like a car, houses don't depreciate.

This is hugely dependent on the type of work done, and the cost of the materials and labour involved, no?

House flipping works because people are very selective on the properties chosen (and the type of work done), and don't spring for high-end materials and fittings as they know they won't recuperate those costs.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
Again, that's not how property works. You don't get back everything that you put into modifying a place. Yes, the price will go up a little since a lot of old appliances and fixtures were replaced but if she resold it today, it would be for less than the initial purchase price + remodeling cost.

That's not even considering how saturated the Detroit housing market is. I wouldn't be surprised if the seller was thinking it would take a long time and a lot of negotiating before they could get rid of the apartment.
I don't know about the Detroit housing market specifically, but if you buy a place and do x amount of renovating and investments, the resale price definitely grows by that same amount + a percentage because the new owner doesn't need to invest the same energy into it anymore. Maybe Detroit is some weird anomaly but anywhere else in the world, that definitely is now a 100k+ condo. Like was said above, houses and cars are not remotely the same (i.e. houses being appreciative and cars being just about the most depreciative asset around)

Yes, well, that's what the process of gentrifying is. You have a poor section of town with affordable housing, people with above average money compared to the neighbourhood move in because it's so cheap. The remainder of their money goes to renovating and remodeling, raising the price of the house or condo, the neighbourhood slowly becomes more upscale until it's a new fancy part of town.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this process and I'm not blaming this influencer for doing so. But it's weird that it's being celebrated here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
You made a claim that she didn't raise the average price, which is not correct unless the improvements added $0 to the value.

In Detroit though?

The population has decreased yoy constantly for the past few decades. Which is the reason housing is so dirt cheap in the city in the first place.

Just checked zillow, you can buy a 5 bedroom home for 1/5 of what I paid for a condo in Boston. If anything, 90k for a condo is an overpay that won't make a dent in their market.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
The amount of folks celebrating gentrification in this post is... surprising to me.

I don't understand.
The apartment hit the market for 44k $, so there probably wasn't a long line of interested buyers/renters.
And even if we include the renovation cost, the total is still less than 100k$ which isn't really outpricing average people.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the Detroit housing market specifically, but if you buy a place and do x amount of renovating and investments, the resale price definitely grows by that same amount + a percentage because the new owner doesn't need to invest the same energy into it anymore. Maybe Detroit is some weird anomaly but anywhere else in the world, that definitely is now a 100k+ condo. Like was said above, houses and cars are not remotely the same (i.e. houses being appreciative and cars being just about the most depreciative asset around)

Yes, well, that's what the process of gentrifying is. You have a poor section of town with affordable housing, people with above average money compared to the neighbourhood move in because it's so cheap. The remainder of their money goes to renovating and remodeling, raising the price of the house or condo, the neighbourhood slowly becomes more upscale until it's a new fancy part of town.

There's nothing inherently wrong with this process and I'm not blaming this influencer for doing so. But it's weird that it's being celebrated here.

There's no way it's a 100k condo now. The reason it was 44k in the first place is because of lack of demand... not just for the condo itself, but the area. One newly renovated house isn't going to appreciably move the needle on comps in that area, and that will keep downward pressure on her asking price should she try to sell.

Chances are, she's not going anywhere. She invested more into the home than she would be able to get out of it- she wants to live there. A $100k sale would be unprofitable. Probably worth more as a rental property than a flip at this point in time.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
If I'm not mistaken, doesnt Downtown Detroit actually has an hot real estate market? The average condo on Zillow is going for 250,000 in that area. I don't live there anymore, but I also was told the reason Downtown Detroit is growing is that younger, rich kids from Oakland County is driving up the costs. Sounds an awful lot like East Palo Alto to me.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Who is she even displacing? Good for her; she's doing well for herself. Not all house improvements have the same ROI by the way. Some house improvements do not increase the value of a property at all. And properties do depreciate. That's why people renovate. Duh.

Oct 25, 2017
The $44k apartment would now sell for more than $96k, so her actions have literally driven up the average price by a small amount.

That's not how this works. You don't just to A+B=C and that's your new price. You still have to deal with the demands of the market and if the market is dictating 44k homes then that's what the market will continue to.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not how this works. You don't just to A+B=C and that's your new price. You still have to deal with the demands of the market and if the market is dictating 44k homes then that's what the market will continue to.
Yup, hell my mom's condo which isnt much went up around 50k-ish worth just due to its location and some other variables not in our control. If you live in a shit hole next to 2 terrible houses, no amount of renovations will increase the property value of your home and hell those 2 things can tank your home.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How is any piece of real estate in a major city going for anywhere close to $44,000? That's insanely low.
If it's the place I think it is, it's not a well run building and the HOA dues are insane.

I can give you a free condo but if there are HOA dues of $2k/month then it isn't really free, you know?