• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GKjU9Kt.jpg

UOPBnoz.png

hWWxGQ0.jpg

beRzGYP.jpg

hGp72rv.jpg

GNCgJ3a.jpg

1g5AB76.jpg

Rjchd0F.png

pOBExjb.jpg

SFU6aCl.jpg

96gPM7X.jpg

TSx4SeT.jpg

ZLl0aIz.jpg

3snfECF.jpg

1avuvG6.png

Qia5Rdq.jpg

Travis' base of operations this time around will be from the comfort of his own trailer house. From this area you can access his wardrobe, the online shop, as well as the Death Drive and its games. There's several other interactables here including his bike, a fax machine, and archives. Of course, you can also hit up throne to drop a good old save.​
fo3KQc9.png

laaV4nU.jpg

In between blazing through the Death Drive MK II's video games, you're first going to have to actually obtain them. This takes place in its own "game" of sorts called Travis Strikes Back. From Travis' trailer house you'll be able to hop on to his bike to traverse the world to hunt for the Death Ball games. This segment is rendered as an old school Visual Novel/Adventure game which expands on the game's story. Experience a new side of the tale with plenty of comedy, bizarre characters, some familiar faces, and even Travis' beloved pet cat Jeane.​
m9GkRki.png

TXl0cEK.jpg

No More Heroes and Suda's works have inspired plenty of indie games, and going into Travis Strikes Again, Suda has predominantly been inspired by those very same indie games in turn. To pay tribute to these creators and their works, upward to 60 crossover collaborations have been opened with indie creators to feature their work in Travis Strikes Again. Returning from No More Heroes is the ability to dress up Travis in various attire, only this time said attire will predominantly be shirts based on a wide variety of indie games. These can be bought from the PC in Travis' trailer using LB$ obtained within the main game, though some special tees can only be exchanged for mysterious objects hidden in each game world. Play through Travis Strikes Again while repping your favorite indie title; including titles like Downwell, Blazing Chrome, Hotline Miami, Hollow Knight, and Undertale!​
S5bfcEg.png

kJ1aAHC.png

MN4hk3O.png

Q: So why isn't this No More Heroes 3?
When developing Travis Strikes Again, Suda expressed a desire to return to Grasshopper's roots of making games that were very freeform and indie "in spirit", as he was inspired by the modern wave of indie developers who keep making unique new games, unrestrained by the major publishers. Travis Strikes Again was made with the desire to make a similar such game, developed by a team consisting of roughly a little over a dozen people, much like the company's earlier titles. It is the first title from them in a long time that they've had full creative control over, without publisher interference.​
Q: I thought this was supposed to be a minigame compilation, so it's actually just a hack and slash?
Correct. Think of the setup as something akin to Kirby Super Star. When marketing refers to "seven different games", it refers to the story of Travis exploring literal video games, but in most basic terms the games are just "levels" or "worlds". The hack and slash combat is consistent throughout all of the games you explore, with the main difference being that each one has a wildly different presentation and gimmicks that are inspired by actual video games and their respective genres. For instance - Coffee and Doughnuts has the hack and slash game play set to a 2.5D sidescroller perspective, with level design and aesthetics inspired by Metal Slug. However, much like No More Heroes, expect some levels to be intercut with a unique gimmick or occasional minigame that's relevant to the game's genre. Golden Dragon GP is one such example, as in between hack and slash action segments, you will partake in drag racing challenges.​
Q: Should I care about this game, even if it isn't No More Heroes 3?
In more ways than one, though perhaps the most notable reason why you should is the fact that this is Suda51's first title as director in over a decade. He hasn't had as much hands-on with a Grasshopper developed title since the original No More Heroes, making this the first game in a long time to truly earn the distinction of being a "Suda51 game". In spite of the perspective change, a conscious effort has been made to inject the game play with every bit as much action as the previous titles, with the combat and set pieces rivaling the originals in terms of depth and complexity. On top of this, Suda has said the game's events will directly lead into what he hopes to make into an eventual No More Heroes 3, and much of the title's potential development will be riding on this game's success. It should be stressed that while Suda hopes the game's potential success ease the road on his quest to making a third numbered entry, Travis Strikes Again is a back-to-basics title he genuinely wanted to make and had every intention of developing.​
Q: How long is the game?
The game has been compared to the previous No More Heroes games in length; which is roughly 15-20 hours. Famitsu's reviews indicated that with replayability and content unlocks, the game should last you a good 16 hours.​
Q: Wait a sec, I thought this game didn't have voice acting?
You would be partially correct - in-game conversations mainly consist of text dialogue (similar to Killer7), but several major cinematics in the game include the presence of voice acting. Initially Suda51 wasn't planning on including much voice acting in the game, likely due to budgetary costs and creative choice, but after seeing the fan demand for Robin Atkin Downes to return as Travis, he decided to put in the extra work. The game's reveal trailer (which serves as the game's intro) has since been redubbed to feature the new cast.​
Q: As someone who's never played a No More Heroes game before, is it okay to dive in with this one?
Yes! Suda consciously designed the game around the fact that this would be most people's first time playing a No More Heroes title, so while the game play is easier to wrap your head around, the story also marks the beginning of a new chapter for Travis.​
Q: Online Play?
Nope, sorry.​
Q: Beam Katana charge animation?
You bet. It wouldn't be a No More Heroes game without it.​
Q: Is there hope for a No More Heroes 1+2 port to Switch?
Marvelous own the No More Heroes IP, and while Suda wants to port the old games, it needs their approval before anything can happen.​
Q: Travis in Smash?
We can only hope.​

YniMHF3.jpg

OP
OP
NotLiquid

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A few important things to clarify:
- If you've any interest in the game it's been suggested to avoid reviews of the game. Suda51 has been very secretive about what's included in the game, and from known accounts, the lategame content is especially crazy.
- Right now it's not 100% known whether Killer Marathon is included in the base game, so I tried to word it in a way that could support either possibility. Based on what we know it's most likely an "expansion".
- Please be mindful of spoilers! Outside of the four first games, much of the game is a complete mystery. Use spoiler tags responsibly for content that's in the second half of the game.
- I decided to post the OT now given that the game has already broken the street date (multiple physical copies are out in the wild), and it's less than three days from release.

Last edited:

V3rt1go

Oct 25, 2017
The game is full of easter eggs and crazy stuff & that big spoiler really is big but it will eventually be headliner news.

Edit: Nice OP.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Loved Killer7 but didn't play any of the No More Heroes.

Really excited about this one!

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
This Count...I feel as if I'm looking at my future self. Mega bucks, big ass house, fast cars. Dining in style with a world class chef and a trusty nutritionist counting every calorie. A team of hot yoga instructors to keep me in shape. Nurses to attend to my body. Maids and loyal servants at my beck and call. On the weekends, tanned babes knocking on my door every two hours. Every day full of excitement and luxury. That'd be the life. Everything in its right place. It's the perfect life. It's the life for winners. That'll be my life!

I thirst for selflessness. Hypocrites lusting for their own desires get killed by young rookies like me. This is how it goes down. And for the old killers? They'll croak anyway. I guess you can call this a comedy. I realise there's really nothing here for me. But what else can I do but keep going? Maybe I should have been a little more careful before I jumped in.

Gotta find the exit. Gotta find that exit to paradise. But, I can't see it. Can't see anything. There's this sense of doom running down my spine, like it's...like it's trying to suck the life out of me. I need to get rid of it before I bail. Something deeper...deeper than my instincts is taunting me. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
This Count...I feel as if I'm looking at my future self. Mega bucks, big ass house, fast cars. Dining in style with a world class chef and a trusty nutritionist counting every calorie. A team of hot yoga instructors to keep me in shape. Nurses to attend to my body. Maids and loyal servants at my beck and call. On the weekends, tanned babes knocking on my door every two hours. Every day full of excitement and luxury. That'd be the life. Everything in its right place. It's the perfect life. It's the life for winners. That'll be my life!

I thirst for selflessness. Hypocrites lusting for their own desires get killed by young rookies like me. This is how it goes down. And for the old killers? They'll croak anyway. I guess you can call this a comedy. I realise there's really nothing here for me. But what else can I do but keep going? Maybe I should have been a little more careful before I jumped in.

Gotta find the exit. Gotta find that exit to paradise. But, I can't see it. Can't see anything. There's this sense of doom running down my spine, like it's...like it's trying to suck the life out of me. I need to get rid of it before I bail. Something deeper...deeper than my instincts is taunting me. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit. Can't find the exit.

??? Wrong thread? Don't feel embarrassed. It happens. Lol

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Never played these games, or any of Suda's stuff beyond trying Killer 7 briefly, but I am quite interested in this. Not sure if it's for me but I like that this exists, I want to support it, and I want to like it.

I respect the surreal vibes of Killer 7, and though this game isn't the same tone, I hope it retains some of that surreal vibe.

On the fence about this.

Kazer

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome OT! Stoked for this. And curious about the end game content now.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
super hyped for this. it's going to be my first NMH game. i just got nsmbudx so i'll have to get this once i'm done with that. i hope i don't get spoiled on anything major by then, i'll have to avoid this thread once everyone starts playing :)

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
Wasn't feeling the game at first, but that stream and the extra characters sealed the deal for me. Can't wait now. This amazing OT is not helping me contain the hype.

So, what are the chances of that last 7th game tying into Killer7 in some way? Maybe I should beat that game before Friday hits.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a really nice OP, well done! I wanna preorder the complete edition on the eShop, the game looks great. Hoping it's as bizarre as the previous NMH titles.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First game I've ever preordered digitally and preloaded. Wasn't sure if I'd have a decent internet connection in the next few weeks so I made sure to dl this shit before I left the states the other day. Hope there isn't any big day 1 patch. Going in blind I know nothing about the game besides the first two were some of my favorites on Wii and that this isn't like them in gameplay style.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhhh.... lol Travis Strikes Again is my first entry into the NMH universe. I guess the easter eggs will fall flat for me :/

Oh damn, you've missed out. NMH2 falls a bit flat but it's a fun romp. NMH1 is classic. Outstanding self awareness, memorable cast, brilliant on-the-nose twists and an unforgettable climax.

"Let me ask ya; how do ye plan to put an end to all-o this?"
"Wait a sec! You want me to tie up all these loose ends?! I don't think so!"
"You're the protagonist. I'm just a cool handsome foil, who happens to be your twin brother. Hate ta say it; but it's your job."
"I wanna bail...but where the hell's the exit?! There's no way out, is there?!"
"Hahaha!"
"No getting out, right bro?
"That's right! All we can do is keep running."
"Then let's find that exit they call paradise!"
"LET'S GO!"

no-more-heroes-hd-wallpapers-33451-2209010.png

"I know...too bad there won't be a sequel!"

gifvukjq.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so ready for this! Hearing that it gets weird later on only has me more hyped!
I preordered from Pix'n Love, as well as the MyNintendo Store physical case and download code version to play it at launch!

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Oh damn, you've missed out. NMH2 falls a bit flat but it's a fun romp. NMH1 is classic. Outstanding self awareness, memorable cast, brilliant on-the-nose twists and an unforgettable climax.

"You're the protagonist. I'm just a cool handsome foil, who happens to be your twin brother. Hate ta say it; but it's your job."
"Hahaha!"
"LET'S GO!"

gifvukjq.gif

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Great OT. Still can't believe this is happening. I'm really looking forward to the Kill The Past link.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Amazing OT

My purchase depends on other games releases:
- Whether Daemon X Machina or especially Fire Emblem come out soon or not (Direct will answer this)
- If i find a good price for Bayonetta 2 retail (you can find the Wii U version for crazy cheap, while the Switch version stayed at 40-50 euros for a year -.-)

If nothing changes in 10 days then i'll probably pick the retail version at base.com.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be on blackout until I've finished it. I'm ready for Suda to pull some crazy shit like making the last game a Killer 7 sequel or something.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

"Hahaha!"
"LET'S GO!"

gifvukjq.gif
Lol this is awesome

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Good job NotLiquid.
Hopefully it will clarify a bit the nature of the game.
There is a lot of confusion around it and Suda51 secretiveness didn't help.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
For those that're interested, IGN Japan got the chance to play a bit of Coffee and Doughnuts with Suda himself. There's some new unseen footage in here near the end. Also shows off a few co-op special moves.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for Suda to actually direct a game for so long, the fact that it's part of the No More Heroes series just made it that much better.

Have had this preloaded for awhile and I've been avoiding most of the coverage for it, so I can't wait, I really hope they go crazy with the ending

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread. Reading the comments made me want to play again NMH, but that would mean putting the WiiU out of retirement and buying batteries for the wiimote.
Amazing OT

My purchase depends on other games releases:
- Whether Daemon X Machina or especially Fire Emblem come out soon or not (Direct will answer this)
- If i find a good price for Bayonetta 2 retail (you can find the Wii U version for crazy cheap, while the Switch version stayed at 40-50 euros for a year -.-)

If nothing changes in 10 days then i'll probably pick the retail version at base.com.
Is there any reason to (realistically) expect news about Fire Emblem in the coming days?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, so looking forward for this weekend. Although i'm arguing with myself wether i should wait until Shinobus DLC is released.

Is there any reason to (realistically) expect news about Fire Emblem in the coming days?

If there is a Direct, i'd say it's a pretty safe bet to expect something about Fire Emblem. Remember, this game was actually announced in 2017 for a 2018 release!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Man, keep forgetting this is out so soon. Kinda going into this blind aside from "side game involving going into other games" & the fact there'll be 2 DLC packs.