• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
With the announcement of Trials Rising (the newest entry in the criminally underrated Trials franchise) came the announcement of a day and date Switch version. While media concerning the port has been scarce in the lead up to launch and the bizarre omission of the platform from the Closed Beta had some of the Trials community concerned, the currently available Open Beta (that runs until Monday, the day before the game officially releases...) has given us our first chance to get hands on with the Switch version and it's bad.

Let's start with some handheld footage...

Now a screenshot comparison using the docked mode on Switch...

Xbox One
trialsxbox.original.jpg

Nintendo Switch (docked)
trialsswitch.original.jpg

For starters, the game operates at 30 FPS and still struggles to maintain that at times while all other platforms (and every previous game in the franchise) is running at a smooth 60 FPS. Next up, the visuals are incredibly pared back. Environment details are removed outright, fog is introduced to obscure the backgrounds of certain levels and the image quality is quite soft. There is also a considerable amount of texture pop-in and the occasional loading stutter which, in a time trial based game, is pretty unforgivable.

Coming off the heels of the disappointing and bug laden Switch ports of Ubisoft's South Park titles, the poor quality of this port has me concerned about Ubisoft's output on the system in the future. I for one would love to see what Steep looked like before its apparent stealth cancellation. In any event though, be aware of the quality of the port that you're getting if you plan on picking up the Switch version of Trials Rising when it releases this coming Tuesday.

Last edited:

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's just giving you the N64 retro experience with all that fog

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Damn, I thought it looked ok when I played it on switch (although 30fps does suck) bit I had no idea this was even after cutting so many corners from the Xbox version. One would think that with such simpler geometry they should've been able to get to 60fps.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
You greatly exagerate south Park issues OP.
I played the first, supposedly the worst port technical wise, and played from start to finish without issues apart from some rare frame drops and a quest that wouldn't load. This was patched later.
Second one is a good port iirc.

But yeah, trials was probably ported by 3 guys in a garage and seems like a cynical cash grab.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly it's just a crossover with Silent Hill.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That's unfortunate. Its one of those types of games that are perfect for short portable runs that would make good use of the Switch.

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played the Switch and PS4 versions yesterday. Switch is fine and only sruggled to hold 30 fps when there six drivers on the screen at once. It by no means is a bad port.

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it's a CPU or GPU limitation. Maybe the CPU's having issues with all the physics

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Sincerely I would prefer a perfect Trials Fusión or Trials Evolution port than this.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
It would be a bad port on xbox360 as well. It feels to that the switch being underpowered as compared to the other 2 is sometimes used as an excuse for subpar releases.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Played the Switch and PS4 versions yesterday. Switch is fine and only sruggled to hold 30 fps when there six drivers on the screen at once. It by no means is a bad port.
Significantly paired back visuals (including loads of cut geometry), half the framerate of the other versions and inconsistent performance isn't exactly what I call a solid port. If we look at something like DOOM for example, it managed to pare back visuals and slice the framerate in half but it also included the same geometry and is a significantly more demanding title across the board. Granted, Panic Button are wizards and this wasn't handled by them but there is certainly no justification for a port this rough.

EDIT - Geometry is not the word I was looking for here and I was too tired to fix it, my bad. I meant models. General point still stands though!

Last edited:

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Significantly paired back visuals (including loads of cut geometry), half the framerate of the other versions and inconsistent performance isn't exactly what I call a solid port. If we look at something like DOOM for example, it managed to pare back visuals and slice the framerate in half but it also included the same geometry and is a significantly more demanding title across the board. Granted, Panic Button are wizards and this wasn't handled by them but there is certainly no justification for a port this rough.
Switch is way less powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One. Of course it's going to have serious compromises.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Switch is way less powerful than the PS4 and Xbox One. Of course it's going to have serious compromises.
Obviously, yes. Again though, look at the nature of the game we're talking about and look at the significant cut backs both in performance and visually. You wouldn't agree that they should have been able to do far more with this port?

Benjamin1981

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The game runs fine 99 % of the time. Of course the visuals are not as strong as on the big boys but that was expected. I think you are overreacting.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously, yes. Again though, look at the nature of the game we're talking about and look at the significant cut backs both in performance and visually. You wouldn't agree that they should have been able to do far more with this port?
Trials Rising may not be a AAA game but it's still got deceptively decent graphics, so yes I'd expect half the frame rate and graphical compromises. Switch is half way between a PS3 and PS4 in terms of power.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I don't see the problem, the game gives off some pretty heavy Silent Hill vibes in that screenshot, what with all the fog. You aren't happy to have more Silent Hill in your Trials?

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the last game, Trials Fusion, on Xbox 360. This ran at a locked 60 FPS.
3LGgr2Z.jpg

Here's Rising on Switch, 30 FPS.
trialsswitch.original.jpg

These two are not even remotely comparable. You need to set more realistic expectations for yourself. Have you even seen Rocket League? That strips out almost everything that makes the game look contemporary.

It's a pretty common trend for 60fps target games on PS4/XBO to run at 30 on Switch. Warframe, for example, is not at all a looker either and runs at an unstable 30, if you recall.

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm enjoying it both on PC and Switch :x Best and worst version respectively.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Going from 60FPS to 30FPS is a big compromise already. This and a resolution reduction should be more than enough for the game to run.

But the images look like they ported it to an N64 not to a modern device that is far more powerful than any console released before PS4/XOne.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh wow. i played the switch beta and enjoyed it but didn't know it looked so much worse than other platforms.
i had a lot of fun with it and really like the gameplay of trials, but i think i'll skip it.
how does the game look that much worse (and have massive texture pop in) AND have half the fps of other versions (and not a stable 30 fps even, there were constant drops). by halving the frame rate one may have expected partial visual parity, just at a lower resolution. this just doesn't seem like it was optimized for switch at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version seems so half-assed, I'll just wait for a performance patch or a really deep discount. It's such a shame since Trials is so good fit for portable device. Hope they can salvage this mess somehow. Not gonna reward devs half-assing this shit by buying on another platform either.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think the comparison screenshot in the op are not fair or the one with the 360.

The level on the one has a long off draw distance which needed to be scaled back and geometry removed probably to help with performance.

The 360 level looks nice but it is a level with no far off draw distances or extremely complex geometry and is unfair to compare againsts the switch level. I would assume that a level like that exists on the switch version would exist where its less intensive on the hardware and it may look a bit better?

I will give trials on switch the benefit of the doubt as surely if it was as bad as suggested it would have been delayed a bit(im hoping).

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I highly doubt that the geometry is same in Doom, since same geometry implies similar poly count. The screenshot on the One is super ugly, I kinda like the Switch fog that obscures these ugly details.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These two are not even remotely comparable. You need to set more realistic expectations for yourself. Have you even seen Rocket League? That strips out almost everything that makes the game look contemporary.

Rocket League is technically a joke. The game is not demanding, physics and graphics are just not demanding. The problem with RL is that it is very unoptimized and throws many, many, unnecessary transparent layers on the screen. If this game had been coded carefully it could run flawlessly on a Wii.

But it was developed for PC and the programmer saw no need in much optimizing because it is basically so undemanding that they just coded without thinking if optimization. It was later, when the game was ported to other platforms when the problems began.

Trials is a complete other thing, it's a modern game on (probably) a modern engine, it should be able to scale down to Switch much better than this images suggest.

I hope these images are just an extreme example or the game has weather and in the Switch version a sand storm is just happening.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
With the game's visuals being this paired back, I would have hoped for 60fps docked at least.

Unstable 30 is sadly not acceptable for a trials get for me.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Worth noting that people in the beta thread said even the PS4 Pro didn't achieve a consistent 60fps, there are drops on there too.

But sub-30 is horrible, and not what you want for Trials. The only saving grace on the Switch version is that it supports GameCube controllers for full analog throttle and braking.

beni12

Oct 25, 2017
It also looks completely flat in handheld and still drops in resolution at times. The patches improved things a little, but not by much.

am8L7JB.jpg
i think lowest res in rocket league is still higher than trials on switch. also it's not like trials doesn't look flat on switch , they removed some of the shadows.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Trials is a complete other thing, it's a modern game on (probably) a modern engine, it should be able to scale down to Switch much better than this images suggest.

I hope these images are just an extreme example or the game has weather and in the Switch version a sand storm is just happening.

It doesn't look quite as bad on other stages from the footage I've seen

Another sandy stage for example: https://youtu.be/3FrNb8dqUao?t=479

Still looks bad, but what I'm saying is it's not entirely unexpected for this to be 30 (and look bad) as that's been the trend. The main outlier being RL.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Are there side by side comparisons for the other levels of the beta, or just the desert one?

It doesn't look quite as bad on other stages from the footage I've seen

Another sandy stage for example: https://youtu.be/3FrNb8dqUao?t=479

Still looks bad, but what I'm saying is it's not entirely unexpected for this to be 30 (and look bad) as that's been the trend. The main outlier being RL.
This makes things in Switch seem a bit better (though of course not perfect) - does that stage have random sandstorms as the difference from the screenshot is quite major?

Last edited:

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

It's a pretty common trend for 60fps target games on PS4/XBO to run at 30 on Switch. Warframe, for example, is not at all a looker either and runs at an unstable 30, if you recall.

Evolutions had wide open backgrounds, looping tracks and ran at 60/720 on a 360. This is pretty disappointing.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
there really is no excuse. the game can't look that bad (at a much lower resolution) and run at an unstable 30. one of those things would have been acceptable, not both.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I had no idea it was this gimped.

I played the beta yesterday and still has fun ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Evolutions had wide open backgrounds, looping tracks and ran at 60/720 on a 360. This is pretty disappointing.

It doesn't take much to see that the geometry, character model, and visual effects are more complex in this new one compared to the old. You can cherry pick a few spots where it looks plain bad and perhaps even somewhat comparable to the 360 game, but the game needs one target frame rate for all levels.

Brink

Dec 18, 2017
That OP screen is pretty dishonest.

Good way to falsely generate some anger though, well done!