Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
So next week I'm heading out to DC for a week, never been, and looking for maybe lesser known places to visit while I'm in the area.

Whatchu got for me era!

Decent places to eat as well.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
lesser known places?

if you travel west for a couple hours you could come visit me

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
If the weather is good, a walk on the National Mall is always worth it. Lots of monuments and sights.

Certainly not a "lesser known" place, but if you're into the subject, the Air and Space museum is wonderful.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
The Metro is amazing for bouncing around the DC area. Super cheap and easy. The shark move is to not rent a vehicle if you fly in and just get a hotel near a metro station. Not sure if you're doing that or not. My favorites:

Natural History Museum
American History Museum
Monticello (need a car or Uber though)
Mount Vernon (need a car or Uber as wel)
Wandering The Mall area.

I know nothing of the restaurant situation though, sorry.

big bas

The Fallen
Jan 2, 2018
If you like art then the Portrait Gallery and Phillips Collection are two museums that aren't on the mall but very good

Go out on U St/14th St for nightlife
Lucky Buns for the best burger (some will argue Duke's Grocery wins), Agora for Mediterranean (Zaytinya is flashier though), Lapis for afghan, bistrot du coin for French (le diplomate is a more typical spot to show off though), lupo verde for Italian, and try an Ethiopian spot (Habesha carry out is my go to)
The Wydown or Slipstream for coffee, both on 14th St, or Tryst for a larger cafe in adams morgan
Jojo's on U st for jazz
Kramers in Dupont or Lost City in adams morgan for books
Suns Cinema for an indie movie theater if there's any tickets available for shows that week
Le Mont Royal in adams morgan just opened up
Silver Lyan is a sick cocktail bar, try going after Zaytinya if you eat there since it's right by it

I'll probably think of more

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I know you said lesser known, but walking the mall while it's cool out, maybe even at night when everything is lit up, is a truly spectacular experience and one I wish I could do again

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
You gotta see the known monuments. Sure it might not be your thing and only be there for a hot minute, but there is some weight to seeing these things in person, ESPECIALLY the Vietnam War memorial.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I cannot think of any lesser known area. Start at the Lincoln Memorial and work your way to the National Mall. If you have time and have made your way to the museums, you can cut through the city, walk by the FBI building and make your way to Ford's theater for a really cool tour. This is a lot of walking so maybe a two day adventure. And yes, the Metro is awesome and super clean.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My wife and I went back in November 2019 ... Months before COVID started. Smithsonian museums clustered around the National Mall, so never a bad idea to go there. Don't make the mistake my wife and I did of being at the supreme court and saying "oh the Lincoln Memorial isn't too far, let's just walk down there". There's a reason there's so many metro stations in the National Mall. Natural History, American history, Air and Space (although it was disappointing when we went because most of it was under renovation), and plenty of others.

Spy Museum is really cool, definitely recommend that. I don't know if Capitol Tours are still a thing after January 6, but if they are, that's usually pretty good and depending on the day and time, there might be parts of the tour that aren't there at other times. For instance my wife and I got to see the old Supreme Court room, which does not always happen.

The Holocaust Museum was really good, but obviously not an uplifting thing, but I definitely recommend it. Arlington National Cemetery is good too, just make sure to go slightly before the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

I forget what it was called, but there was a fancy (and expensive) restaurant we went to one night, but when we were eating a guy that looked like a manager or something stopped by our table and asked us if we were the ones that asked to go up. We said no, but a minute later he comes back and asks if we want to go up to the view of the Capitol higher in the building. It was an incredible view and we got a picture there. It was pretty close to the National Mall.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The African American History Museum is one of the best museums I've ever been to. The design. The story. The profoundness.

Also get yourself some crab cakes at the Old Ebbit Grill. Place is historic too.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
just did a weekend there with my wife. we ate:
Anju - Korean (small plates + korean classics), Kalorama
Zaytinya - Eastern Mediterranean (small plates), Penn District
Chez Billy Sud - French comfort food (ie burgers and fries), Georgetown
Foxtrot - coffee & breakfast tacos every morning

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
Wander the Mall area and all the Memorials
Holocaust Museum
Ford Theater and house where Lincoln died
Spy Museum
If you have transportation Mount Vernon

Jul 18, 2018
National Museum of African American History and Culture is a MUST (have to buy tickets online beforehand). Best food cafeteria in the Smithsonian area to eat also. National Museum of the American Indian is also really good (free).

If you never ate Yak before, find a way to Royal Nepal Restaurant at 3807 Mt Vernon Ave, Alexandria, VA 22305. Yak curry is great, but everything i ate there was a hit. Little north from there is a Regal (Regal Kingstowne) where they have the ScreenX theater if you want to watch some movie in it and don't have that around your area.

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I can't stress this enough: visit the monuments at night. You can do day time to do tours or what have you, but on your own go at night. It's such an incredible atmosphere; I would sometimes and go to the Lincoln Memorial and play board games there till midnight or 1AM. Really quiet and peaceful and there's still a decent amount of people around so it's still safe.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Its been a few years since I've been. I really enjoyed the Air and Space Museum, my take away is that all the Smithsonian's are good and whichever caters to your personal interest most will likely resonate with you best. I actually enjoyed walking the mall from end to end, its relatively flat and lots of places to take breaks.

Best food we got while in DC was at Daikaya.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Lesser known areas, hmmm.

I havent been but Takoma Station might be a good stop to hear music. And Horace and Dickies restaurant a few doors down for food.

HOME | My Site 2

That food place used to be a lil hole in the wall on H St. NE, now they are branching out. They also got moved out of their H St location so by Takoma Station might be their only location now. Not sure.

Horace and Dickies | Main Street Takoma

DC Institution for seafood & soul food sides

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
National Museum of African American History and Culture
Smithsonian Museums
In general, just walk around the National Mall. It's beautiful at night.
None of the above is lesser known but totally worth it.

Jaleo by Jose Andres (Spanish food)
DUA DC Coffee

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Goddamn this thread makes me really want to go visit a historic city again and spend a weekend seeing the sites and eating the food.

Oct 22, 2020
Regarding the Air and Space Museum suggestions: If you're able, you should also make the trek out to the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles.

It's an incredible facility with a phenomenal assortment of historic aircraft, including the Enola Gay and the Space Shuttle Discovery.

I'd also echo the praise for the African American History Museum - and yeah, be sure to remember to get timed tickets in advance. (They're free, but required.)

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the Air and Space Museum suggestions: If you're able, you should also make the trek out to the Udvar-Hazy Center near Dulles.

It's an incredible facility with a phenomenal assortment of historic aircraft, including the Enola Gay and the Space Shuttle Discovery.

I'd also echo the praise for the African American History Museum - and yeah, be sure to remember to get timed tickets in advance. (They're free, but required.)

Seconded. This is about 10 minutes away from me. The SR-71 in the entryway is also pretty rad.

rman320

Banned
May 11, 2021
United States
I enjoyed the National Museum of the American Indian since it showcased history I wasn't familiar when I visited it. I second everyone else here who recommends the other museums in the National Mall since they're all great. I would suggest spacing out the museum visits over multiple days so you have time to enjoy the exhibits.

Oct 22, 2020
The Smithsonian museums are such a wonderful asset for D.C. I get so annoyed every time I go to cities like NYC and London and have to pay gobs of money to visit all the museums. Get to as many of them as you can. Some are better than others, but they're all worth visiting.

Between the Smithsonians and the monuments, it's pretty easy to make a very enjoyable and satisfying trip to D.C. for a relatively low cost. (And I would also echo the suggestion above to visit the monuments at night.)

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
There's a historic/culture walk in Adam's Morgan that has 18 or so informative signs that'll teach you cool stuff about the neighborhood as you go through, and it's a happening area of DC so lots of good fun, bars, and stores you'll stumble across as you do it.

Sushi Taro is a favorite place to eat of mine in Dupont Circle, it's Michelin starred though so make a reservation well in advance.

The Oak Hill cemetery is beautiful and peaceful and is at the top of Georgetown so you could do that and then work your way down and check out what Georgetown has to offer. Only thing is Georgetown is kind of a pain in the ass to get to depending on where you are since there's no metro stop and parking can be tough.

Chibits12

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Besides the other museums around DC, give the National Spy Museum a visit. It's a really cool place to see.

And if you get bored in DC, you can also visit Mt. Vernon, the home of George of Washington, which is not too far DC. Also Madame Tussauds.

Besides the restaurants you can try, there should be plenty of food trucks, with a diverse range of choices, around noon or so near the mall.

Looks like you're going to miss the auto show too at the DC convention center, if that's your kind of thing. It starts on January 20.

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
Something different for a lot of great food that would probably get missed by visitors unless you with a local. Go a little north of U St corridor to Columbia Heights/Petworth. Very dense populated neighborhoods but great food.

Makan (Malaysian Food)
Menya Hosaki (Ramen)
El Chucho (Mezcal/Tequila bar with food)
Mi Cuba Cafe
Thip Khoa (Loas)
Bombay Street Food

14th Street North of the Columbia Heights metro has a very high amount of Mexican and Latin American restaurants. All different in styles of Mexican so it doesn't feel like they overlap. They specialize in mezcal and tequila as well. If you like to drink. Can use either Columbia Heights or Petworth metro stops. Below are some good ones:
Mezcalero
Chicatana
Habanero
Anafre
DC Corazon
Tequila and Mezcal

VA/MD has a ton of spots as well if you venture around on metro or have a car. People really seem to like the second air and space museum in Dulles. If you go out that way for that then Centreville or Annandale is a stop if you like Korean food. Both areas mainly consist of Korean restaurants, bakeries, cosmetics..etc and will give you some things to do while in VA.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo what others have said and say the Smithsonian Museums are the biggest strength for DC. The Air and Space museum opened back up recently, although only partially. There's another A&S museum just outside of DC near Dulles that people have told me is better but I haven't gotten around to going yet.

For food, Zenebech is a really good Ethiopian Restaurant in Adams Morgan, also located on 18th street which has some pretty cool bars. Daikaya is a great Japanese restaurant near Capital One arena.

For a more general list, my boss recommended this for finding DC restaurants when I first arrived in DC:

Washington MICHELIN Restaurants - The MICHELIN Guide USA

Starred restaurants, Bib Gourmand and all the MICHELIN restaurants in Washington on the MICHELIN Guide's official website. MICHELIN inspector reviews and insights

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
One thing I will recommend - do not venture too far out in NOVA because traffic can be a real pain.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC

Enthusiastically thirded. If you have any passing interest in aviation and/or incredibly cool shit whatsoever you should make the trek out there. The one-two punch of the SR-71 Blackbird and the Space Shuttle Discovery when you walk in is hard to beat.

I also second the National Portrait Gallery. For a somewhat lesser known branch of the Smithsonian, check out the Renwick Gallery, which is dedicated to crafts and decorative arts. And my favorite Smithsonian museums are the East Building of the National Gallery (for modern and contemporary art) and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden (for yet more contemporary art).

There's an argument to be made that D.C's indigenous cuisine is the half-smoke, basically a sausage dog. If you're a carnivore and enjoy a good hot dog I'd recommend checking one out, perhaps at Ben's Chili Bowl (for a full on tourist destination) or Weenie Beenie (for humble takeout).

Edit: Oh, and you can go see giant pandas at the National Zoo! Plus a lot of other great stuff but the pandas are going to be the highlight.

Last edited:

RedDevil82

Oct 25, 2017
Good eating spots:
Tamarindo/Judy's Restaurant/Ercilias for pupusas
Ted's Bulletin on 14th for diner food
Jyoti for Indian

Nice spots:

Malcolm X/Meridian Hill Park is going through some remodeling but you can still see the Joan of Arc, Dante statue.
Spanish Steps and Mitchell Park on S street (also Bezos frankenmansion)
Old Post Office Pavilion Tower - Great views
Mass Ave. which has the Naval Observatory along with plenty of Embassies including UK, South Korea, South Africa.

Museums:
US Botanical Garden
Smithsonian Castle
National Cathedral (Bishop's garden and a cafe on the south side)

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
These really are not lesser knowns but I can't express enough one's need to visit both:

National Museum of African American History and Culture (you may need to get tickets in advance). Also if you need to eat, they have a really good cafe.
Holocaust Memorial Museum

Food:

Definitely check out an Ethiopian restaurant. I don't have a specific recommendation but there are a lot of options.
Lot of good ramen places in DC too

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
The Udvar Hazy Air and Space museum at Dulles is really cool and kinda off the beaten path.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Natural and American History Museums are musts, followed by Air and Space. It's too bad the Newseum shut down, it was an awesome museum.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Been to DC twice and probably spent about 6 hours at the Museum of African American History, amazing place with so much. All the monuments are a must for sure. Last time I went which was a few months ago we went to the Spy museum which was pretty good too. My GF saw the Hope diamond at some museum(I forget which one).

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Eden Center is a cool spot for Vietnamese food if you're interested in that but not easily accessible by metro.

The Air and Space at the Udvar Hazy is definitely recommended. Would have to take a bus from one of the metros probably to get there which will make it a long affair. If you're looking for efficiency then staying within the National Mall you'll easily be able to take up several days of your time from the Natural History museum, American History, African American Museum, Holocaust and much more. Also think the Portrait Gallery near Chinatown is a beautiful place to relax.

U Street is where a lot of the nightlife is, and Georgetown will have a nice riverwalk + plenty of shopping and restaurants.

Also the National Arboretum is a great place, but not sure what it's like during winter. Alternatively the Botanical Garden near the Capitol is also very nice