vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Via PushSquare

9aj9mk1.jpg

Troy Baker who plays Higgs in Death Stranding (pictured above) lets us in on what he thinks about Kojima's Death Stranding.
Death Stranding is more than just a game, and actor Troy Baker believes that if director Hideo Kojima achieves what he's set out to, it'll be a statement. Speaking at Manchester Comic-Con, the Higgs star teased that the auteur is trying to move the industry forward with his upcoming PlayStation 4 exclusive project.

"It'll definitely be a statement," he exclaimed, as part of a wider interview which will be published on Push Square later this week. "If you know anything about Kojima, he doesn't make 'games'. He's an amazing world builder. He's trying to move the medium forward, not just trying to move copies."

In fact, Baker was so complimentary of the Metal Gear man that he stated it'll be his name that sells the game – and not the star-studded cast list associated with it. "This will be a game that names sell, and it won't be Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelsen, and it sure as sh*t won't be Troy Baker," he continued. "The name that's going to sell this game is going to be Kojima."

No reason to believe he's wrong, tbh. This game looks super out there and looks to be doing something different with the whole 'social strand system' it's got going on. The emphasis on nonviolence while not totally unique by any means is nice to see more of in games. I think the major thing that's gotten me hooked with this game besides it being another Kojima title is the air of mystery surrounding the entire thing. What was the Death Stranding? What the hell happened to the United States and the rest of the world? What is Edge Knot City and why are the Homo Demens directly opposed to the United Cities of America? What are the Beached Things and why do them eating people trigger Voidouts? Who are Bridges? Why are Bridge Babies needed to connect to the 'other side'? What the fuck causes Timefall?

Obviously, with something like this it could be a huge success, solid but nothing groundbreaking or just another dud but I'm willing to bank on this being a success, at least financially and critically because of that Sony backing and Kojima's name respectively. It's certainly one of my most anticipated games of this year. Whatever happens, I can always count on Kojima to take us on an absolutely bonkers wild ride even if the game as a whole isn't that good.

0rrtjqw8g1d31.jpg

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait until Kojima proves the haters wrong with the one true GOTG.

#tomorrowisinyourhands

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well if Troy Baker says that about Kojima developed game, it must be true

Jan 2, 2018
It's sad, because the game looks good, but the more I hear from it the less I think about it. "It's more than just a game", "it'll be a statement". Did anyone yet say it's an "experience"? It sounds pretentious to be honest.

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If this wins GOTY, I'm hoping what he's saying is true.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's sad, because the game looks good, but the more I hear from it the less I think about it. "It's more than just a game", "it'll be a statement". Did anyone yet say it's an "experience"? It sounds a bit pretentious to be honest.
This just seems in line with Kojimas marketing bullshit every time he makes a new game

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have found all Kojima games played terribly or were cringey. Only one I've liked is ZOE2.

Hoping he can pull it with this one tho

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
It's sad, because the game looks good, but the more I hear from it the less I think about it. "It's more than just a game", "it'll be a statement". Did anyone yet say it's an "experience"? It sounds a bit pretentious to be honest.
Cinematic experience is something we'll be hearing a lot once it's released I assume.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I know this people are trying to hype the game in a good way, but I'm starting to have the perception it will be "boring but artsy".

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be weird as fuck, that's for sure. Not sure if it'll be any good though. Kojima hasn't made a game I've loved in nearly 15 years, but I'll still be getting this day one if only to see the weird shit.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it'll be able to differentiate itself from the dozens and dozens of strand games on the market. Only time will tell.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
If Social Strand System takes off as a genre I'm done with videogames

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
This game is gonna be a pretentious mess with pretty graphics

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Undiluted Kojima will be amazing either way for me. Either so fucking nonsensical, it's hilarious or just incredibly creative with boss and level encounters. No idea which way DS will go yet, but I'll probably really enjoy it either way.

Jan 2, 2018
This just seems in line with Kojimas marketing bullshit every time he makes a new game
Cinematic experience is something we'll be hearing a lot once it's released I assume.
It is pretentious, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

I really hope the game is good, but I just can't stand the marketing of this. I'm sure it's effective, but sadly it's tiring me.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he say something similar about MGSV?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God man, people are really idolizing Kojima, I'm not so sure I'm liking this Messianic way of viewing him.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
" "If you know anything about Kojima, he doesn't make 'games'. He's an amazing world builder. "

oh okay, i guess i only dreamed of mgs5 being a gamey ass videogame where the focus was all on gameplay

Plum

May 31, 2018
"This game is a statement. It will change the way you think about games. Kojima is in this for the art, not the sales..."

"...we won't show the general public that, though. They'll just have to pay $60 on release to find out just how not-sales driven this game really is."

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah he is Putting real actors in games which is unneeded and will only increase dev costs.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
oh ffs...

let's hope the plot will be finished this time and somewhat coherent, whenever I hear this bullshit I just can't help but roll my eyes.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah he is Putting real actors in games which is unneeded and will only increase dev costs.

*Gets his famous Film Director buddies to do some basic modelling work so that he can use their likeness to sell the game when the actual mo-cap and VA is being done by someone else who will inevitably not get the attention they deserve*

"So brave. So unique."

Oct 30, 2017
I'm ready for this game to come and go so we can stop hearing people wax poetic about Kojima and his art. Like jfc it's a videogame.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the gameplay is even as good as it was in MGSV, then I don't really care if plot ends up as some hollywood-wannabe garbage.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ow shut up, Troy. I remember the same hollow nonsense before MGSV came out.

Words and deeds, huge controversy, kojima breaking boundaries. And look how that ended up.

Massive, massive caution advised.

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The themes are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of them will go over a typical gamer's head.