Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
i just realized the SKS isn't banned?
Yup. And this is what I mean by the libs half assing this. They banned a bunch of expensive typically $1000+ semi auto rifles, but don't think to ban the $300 semi auto rifle that fires the powerful 7.62x39 round, like what?

I could understand still allowing variants of the SKS, keeping it solely to the 10-round internal box mag, banning stripper clips, and not allowing pistol grips. That being said my issue would be more over the fact that it's still semi-auto, even above the bullet caliber.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
If this even somewhat close to accurate then Trudeau just guaranteed himself another term. Cons are almost guaranteed to campaign against gun control and 4 in 5 canadians will oppose them.
angusreid.org

Four-in-five Canadians support complete ban on civilian possession of assault style weapons -

Fewer, but still two-in-three, also say they support a ban on handguns May 1, 2020 – With the Trudeau government poised to ban some “assault style” weapons, it finds significant support for a change first promised by the Liberals in 2015. The results of the latest public opinion survey from the...

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
That has nothing to do with people smuggling guns in. Criminals aren't going to be like "well damn I guess we can't smuggle anymore because those guns are illegal now." That's just not how it works. Something like 80% of crime guns in Toronto come from the US. The fact that our government still refuses to do anything about arms trafficking really bothers me.

Can you back this up further? 80% of crime guns in Toronto being from the US does not mean 80% of of crime guns were smuggled. It could just as easily be 0% were smuggled. Legal import is possible from the US and guns being prohibited means it is no longer legal to import them.

Before 2012, about 75 per cent of the firearms were trafficked from the United States. By 2017, however, about half originated from domestic sources, putting an end to the idea that most of Canada's illegal guns come from across the border, Det. Rob Di Danieli of the guns and gangs unit said.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If this even somewhat close to accurate then Trudeau just guaranteed himself another term. Cons are almost guaranteed to campaign against gun control and 4 in 5 canadians will oppose them.

Probably not quite that simple.

It depends on turnout and the vote split.

Not to mention whomever they elect as leader.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Are handguns effected by this? If not then i have to agree that this seems more like political theater. Most people in canada are murdered by handguns, most of those through smuggling and most suicides from what i can find are done with more conventional firearms like hunting rifles and shotguns.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
The recent one the shooter didn't have a license and ilegally acquired his guns, the shooter in 2017 iirc who killed those kids had a pistol smuggled from the states. Most shootings here have been with illegally acquired guns. I think the Moncton one was licensed but I can't quite remember. But it's known at this point that weapon smuggling is a thing, usually guns brought over to arm gangs and the like. The punishment for it is pitiful too, a person got caught snuggling a bunch of handguns a few years ago and only got 4 years which seems like a slap on the wrist considering they could have been arming a mass murderer.

Ah gotcha. Then my assumption was off, thanks for clarifying. Yea, that's disgusting. Gun smugglers should get hit hard with prison sentences.

notsol337

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Canada is going to give current owners 2 years to get rid of the guns. That includes sale via export. I bet there will be a price drop on AK's and AR's in the future in the US.

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Probably not quite that simple.

It depends on turnout and the vote split.

Not to mention whomever they elect as leader.
Perhaps. But imo this would be as devastating as the conservatives announcing that they'll repeal marijuana legalization. The type of thing that would bring single issue voters out.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The US should follow and do a "Guns4Cash" campaign. Trade in your guns and ammo, illegal or not no questions asked.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps. But imo this would be as devastating as the conservatives announcing that they'll repeal marijuana legalization. The type of thing that would bring single issue voters out.

That's probably one reason why they did it.

A wedge issue for the next election, CPC has no choice but to run against this.

Technically they want to add it to the Constitution.

The US should follow and do a "Guns4Cash" campaign. Trade in your guns and ammo, illegal or not no questions asked.

This is the US.

It's more likely they'll do a Cash4Guns campaign.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan people against this. Whole lot of "but what if the gubmint goes out of control???" Idiots.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Seeing a lot of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan people against this. Whole lot of "but what if the gubmint goes out of control???" Idiots.
Depends where you're at and who you talk to. I straw-polled the rural community I'm in, most don't care, one person thought it was government overreach, but the hunters who live out this way said something to the effect of "good, the guns they're banning and the people who want them give us regular gun owners a bad name, good riddance, maybe people will shut up about it for once" I'm paraphrasing because they used lots more colourful language than that.

So it's thankfully not appearing to be an urban-rural divide on this issue from what I've seen, folks like the ones you describe truly appear to be the overly-vocal minority.

NO!R

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's so hilariously LARPy to hear certain gun nuts' reason for keeping military grade small arms. As if a small redneck militia could overthrow a modern tyranical government.

Wasn't the US Constitution written during a time when both the military might of the government could be matched by the people and the government could feasibly become oppressive?

Neither of those things are possible in modern times, so all this gun keeping is iust deadly cosplay.

RamsesGod43

Sep 28, 2019
Mississauga
Are handguns effected by this? If not then i have to agree that this seems more like political theater. Most people in canada are murdered by handguns, most of those through smuggling and most suicides from what i can find are done with more conventional firearms like hunting rifles and shotguns.

I agree. It has been political theatre. I have no time for these types of firearms being owned. Dont really know why there is a real need for them. Besides that, this is just show. It doesnt fix anything unless there is a handgun ban as well.

Illegal firearms wont'be affected by this. Criminals will still get their handguns and other weapons.

Others saying this a wedge issue with Conservatives. There are a lot of NDP politicians who are in rural areas that are against this as well.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
It's so hilariously LARPy to hear certain gun nuts' reason for keeping military grade small arms. As if a small redneck militia could overthrow a modern tyranical government.

Wasn't the US Constitution written during a time when both the military might of the government could be matched by the people and the government could feasibly become oppressive?

Neither of those things are possible in modern times, so all this gun keeping is iust deadly cosplay.

It's a collective psychopathy and/or narcissism, allowing themselves to indulge their personal power fantasies.

edit: Or, to put it another way, they want to do whatever the hell they want without the gubment getting in their way.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
"People will just get guns illegally" folks... why have any laws at all? People will just do things illegally, so we may as well strike down all laws

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's great, less guns of any kind are good, but I would really prefer a handgun ban

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I can't hear you guys over the DEATH RATTLE of freedom!

America weeps for those who will suffer under Canada's sensible life-saving policy.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"People will just get guns illegally" folks... why have any laws at all? People will just do things illegally, so we may as well strike down all laws

I'm going to guess you were on the other side of the drug debate?
i thought we had to legalize and control to get it out of criminal hands?

now we have to criminalize guns to get them out of law abiding citizens hands.... which will get it out of criminal hands?

ok then

amazing how people let party politics shape their views

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Great, as a brit I have never understood how anyone can justify owning a weapon like that

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017

now we have to criminalize guns to get them out of law abiding citizens hands.... which will get it out of criminal hands?

ok then

Did we legalize fentanyl while I was asleep?

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

ok then

It's amazing how disingenuous you want to be about this.

The problem with drugs wasn't that people were using them, it's that the law punished those who used it, and made it a lucrative enterprise for "criminals" due to the difficulty in obtaining it. If weed is legal, even if you have to pay a bit more to get it from the government, it becomes less appealing for drug dealers to want to deal with that. Drug dealers profit off the idea that a drug is A. hard to get, and B.illegal to own.

No one was going around killing people with a joint.

So yes, we have to legalize (or decriminalize) drugs, because that is the solution to THAT specific problem.

Not every single problem is going to have the exact same answer.

Assess the danger of each situation. Some drugs (weed) do not pose a large threat to society. We should legalize owning that. Guns pose a danger to society, we should work on criminalizing owning that.

MeBecomingI

Oct 27, 2017

I'm in Sask and this is all I hear about now. I was talking to a coworker yesterday and he just absolutely went ballistic when this was announced. Like a switch went off and he was absolutely fuming about this and yelling about how much of a "coward" Trudeau is and how he hates people and how he's a "fucking scumbag" like his "worthless shitstain father was" and we should "shoot him with same guns he trying illegally ban." Kept going on and on about how he's "not a Conservative but I'm definitely voting Conservative now." Like, it was pathetic... I've heard his anti-Trudeau shit before but this was on a whole different level of rage. Meanwhile a day earlier he was talking about how we shouldn't be so political right now and how Trudeau and the government has done a "decent" job at this Covid-19 response. Apparently guns are the trigger for so many people.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
It's amazing how disingenuous you want to be about this.

The problem with drugs wasn't that people were using them, it's that the law punished those who used it, and made it a lucrative enterprise for "criminals" due to the difficulty in obtaining it. If weed is legal, even if you have to pay a bit more to get it from the government, it becomes less appealing for drug dealers to want to deal with that. Drug dealers profit off the idea that a drug is A. hard to get, and B.illegal to own.

No one was going around killing people with a joint.

So yes, we have to legalize (or decriminalize) drugs, because that is the solution to THAT specific problem.

Not every single problem is going to have the exact same answer.

Assess the danger of each situation. Some drugs (weed) do not pose a large threat to society. We should legalize owning that. Guns pose a danger to society, we should work on criminalizing owning that.
Thank you, Jebusman.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
fewer guns the better indeed. i hope this continues to trend into more legislation and that canada has space for me and my wife (post covid).

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The pro "assault rifle" gun arguments I'm reading are so stupid they'll soon devolve into "It's not a gun, it's a bullet dispensing mechanism!"

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm in Sask and this is all I hear about now. I was talking to a coworker yesterday and he just absolutely went ballistic when this was announced. Like a switch went off and he was absolutely fuming about this and yelling about how much of a "coward" Trudeau is and how he hates people and how he's a "fucking scumbag" like his "worthless shitstain father was" and we should "shoot him with same guns he trying illegally ban." Kept going on and on about how he's "not a Conservative but I'm definitely voting Conservative now." Like, it was pathetic... I've heard his anti-Trudeau shit before but this was on a whole different level of rage. Meanwhile a day earlier he was talking about how we shouldn't be so political right now and how Trudeau and the government has done a "decent" job at this Covid-19 response. Apparently guns are the trigger for so many people.
Guns, masculinity, "freedom", and other such things are all tightly packaged together for some people.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
i just realized the SKS isn't banned?

Yeah I was talking with a fellow at work (who supports this ban btw) who was ex-Canadian Forces and so pretty familiar with guns and he was like "lol wtf why is SKS not banned???" He found a few other guns that he was surprised weren't in the list either.

Obviously the 'ban giant list of guns' method is pretty crude. My hope here is that yea this isn't theatre but rather that this is kind of the short term band aid, prior to a more coherent and proper legislation coming along later. I mean it's a complex issue and parliament is barely functioning right now due to covid-19. This is an issue where legislation should be properly debated and there should be opportunities for opposition input and amendments.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was talking with a fellow at work (who supports this ban btw) who was ex-Canadian Forces and so pretty familiar with guns and he was like "lol wtf why is SKS not banned???" He found a few other guns that he was surprised weren't in the list either.

Obviously the 'ban giant list of guns' method is pretty crude. My hope here is that yea this isn't theatre but rather that this is kind of the short term band aid, prior to a more coherent and proper legislation coming along later. I mean it's a complex issue and parliament is barely functioning right now due to covid-19. This is an issue where legislation should be properly debated and there should be opportunities for opposition input and amendments.

Ya some good points here.

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with this ban, but it's going to be ineffective by itself. It's just political theater and you guys are eating it up hook, line, and sinker. Trudeau needs to do more if he actually wants to decrease gun violence by a meaningful amount.

CBC NEWS: Federal government's gun strategy won't work without a border crackdown, experts say

I don't think anyone disputes that the government needs to crack down on the border too, but even if like 70% of the illegal guns come from the USA, you of course gotta do something about the other 30% too.