• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Most MGS5 reviews? 93 Meta for an unfinished, repetitive mess of a game that lacks everything that made the other games of the franchise so great is pretty atrocious in my book.

Deleted member 49574

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2018
Norway
I remember some totally clueless IGN reviewer trashing all over Football Manager 2009 (gave it 2/10). They pulled the review and made a public apology.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The following from EDGE,

Dragon Age - 5/10
Mass Effect - 7/10
Neverwinter Nights - 9/10
Baldur's Gate 2 - 8/10
Fallout 3 - 7/10
Oblivion - 8/10
Morrowind - 6/10
The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings - 6/10
Arcanum - 5/10
Temple of Elemental Evil - 4/10
Diablo 2 - 6/10
Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines - 6/10
Those all seem pretty fair tbh.

Jailcat

May 19, 2018
fab.jpg

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That IGB soccer manager review Greg did where he gave it like a 2 because you only manage soccer in it.

To IGNs credit they did pull and re review it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw reviews claiming that KOF 12/13 looked like an SNES GAMES

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You youngsters, behold, the original Edge's bad review for the original Doom, talk to the monster!

https://web.archive.org/web/20120104155012/http:/www.next-gen.biz/reviews/doom-review

Some quotes:

Doom is certainly a gorgeous-looking game - it has also, incidentally, made serious advances in what people will expect of 3D graphics in future. But the gameplay is as narrow as it gets: you run along beautifully parallaxed corridors and through stunning 3D rooms shooting at a near endless supply of green lizards. That's it. Still, we're not going to deny that there is a worryingly addictive fascination in watching the frantic despatching of those little green guys.

As it is, once the power of Doom's graphics has worn off (they're amazing, so give that at least a week or two), you'lI be longing for something new in this game.

lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.

Was Edge right? was it wrong? we leave this answers for future generations...

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
That was literally this gen.

And wasn't that the reception of the game. Story sucks and is unfinished, but it plays very well.
If you look at average meta scores past 2015 they've dropped significantly since. I'm not talking about gaming generations so I'm not sure why you said that lol. I'm not sure why but games that would have been sure hits in terms of reviews like COD or BF are getting much lower scores.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
The mention of reviews of Alien games has reminded me how Alien Resurrection on the PS1 got bad reviews mainly for the control scheme. An example of that is Gamestop's review.

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection.

Oct 25, 2017
If you look at average meta scores past 2015 they've dropped significantly since. I'm not talking about gaming generations so I'm not sure why you said that lol. I'm not sure why but games that would have been sure hits in terms of reviews like COD or BF are getting much lower scores.
You said it was a different era. My response was "the one we're still in?"

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
You youngsters, behold, the original Edge's bad review for the original Doom, talk to the monster!

https://web.archive.org/web/20120104155012/http:/www.next-gen.biz/reviews/doom-review

Some quotes:

Was Edge right? was it wrong? we leave this answers for future generations...
lf only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances... Now, that would be interesting.
Shin Megami Tensei id...

Deleted member 7948

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IGN's Hot Shots Golf World Invitational Review

It's basically the reviewer complaining that you lose if you screw up badly.

"Say, for example, you spend 30 to 45 minutes on an 18-hole tournament and you keep the lead through 17 holes. On the last hole, you spend agonizing minutes studying the course, noting the wind direction and speed, adjusting your shot, and selecting the spin for the ball. Then, in the seconds before executing your shot, you miss the impact zone by a hair and somehow your ball ends up out-of-bounds, wracking your score with a penalty and plummeting your position in the tournament from 1st to 4th. "

"Wasting 30 minutes of your time with no failsafe mechanic built-in seems harsh for a game that claims to make golf more palatable to non-golfers."

3YveNSR.png

Yeah buddy, I don't agree that you should win tournaments scoring +8.

Oct 27, 2017
this reminds me of the gamespot review for Skyward Sword, reviewer didn't know how to use motion plus and complained about the controls being unresponsive, if only he stopped pointing to the sensor bar

May 17, 2019
For a site that published the definitive Pathologic analysis RPS's review of Pathologic 2 yesterday was completely whack. Worried that it turned too many people off of the game.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The premise of the thread is more interesting than the body of replies - this is some Epic Gamers Rise Up shit, and now I'm kind of embarrassed to have took part in it in the first place.

Oct 29, 2017
Would you call it the best storytelling and combat in any RPG?

Nothing in the review fundamentally misunderstands what the game is, like the Football Manager review. They just really, really enjoyed it, and got so into the story and characters that it outshone any issues with the mechanics.

There's nothing truly atrocious about the review except that the reviewer loved the game and you didn't.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Nothing in the review fundamentally misunderstands what the game is, like the Football Manager review. They just really, really enjoyed it, and got so into the story and characters that it outshone any issues with the mechanics.

There's nothing truly atrocious about the review except that the reviewer loved the game and you didn't.
They don't mention pretty much any of the negatives of the game though.

10 dollar day 1 DLC for a character, Merill's cutscenes being out of order and spoiling the quest and making your choices meaningless, enemies spawning in mid air, no easy way to tell anders you don't wanna fuck him, literally nothing on the graphics and art style.

It's a bad review.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Game Informer's review for Silent Hill 2 is something, sadly the only snipped that i could find now online is the one in Metacritic, but i believe it says it all:

Game informer on Silent Hill 2:
Instead of the brain-bending adventure with scares and gore that I had so desperately hoped for, it turned out to be a sloppy, monotonous bore that nearly put me to sleep.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
How about that Financial Post review of Nier Automata where he only played through the "A" path and scored it 5/10.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019

10 dollar day 1 DLC for a character, Merill's cutscenes being out of order and spoiling the quest and making your choices meaningless, enemies spawning in mid air, no easy way to tell anders you don't wanna fuck him, literally nothing on the graphics and art style.

It's a bad review.
Most of those complaints sound subjective - maybe none of those things bothered the reviewer. Are there any factual errors they make in the review, or poor writing?

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe a lesser-known one is Tom McShae's review for the WiiWare game Lost Winds. The game had been enjoying relatively positive reviews most places and then Tom came along and gave it a 5.5, and he pretty much hammered every single aspect of it right down to the game's length (most people considered three hours a pretty reasonable length for a discount indie game). I might be remembering this incorrectly, but I think this was one of the very first reviews he did for GameSpot in a lot of people just assumed he was trying to be controversial to get some attention. Turned out, that was really just Tom.

Oct 29, 2017

It's a bad review.

It would be a great example for a thread called "Super positive reviews where I feel the reviewer overlooked important negative aspects of the game."

You're ultimately still just disagreeing with the score.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
It would be a great example for a thread called "Super positive reviews where I feel the reviewer overlooked important negative aspects of the game."

You're ultimately still just disagreeing with the score.
Yes I think a review that fails to mention any aspects which could be perceived as negative is a bad review.