• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Why...

I swear if Obama signed into law that kicking puppies was illegal, Trump would just reverse that too.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I don't really have a problem with this. The elephants are still being killed , bringing back their heads doesn't change anything. Seems like a meaningless "out of sight out of mind" kind of restriction to me.

Unless there's more to it I'm missing

Elephant killing should be banned though , it's super fucked up.

E: or is this now going to allow trophy hunting in Zimbabwe when it wasnt allowed before? Because that's unacceptable

You realize by making it okay to bring back elephant trophies, you're basically saying you don't care about the well being of the elephant population in the first place?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Obama should have put something truly awful in place during his administration so Trump could do the opposite.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I truly hope the next Democrat President just reverts every one of Trump's changes on day 1. It shouldn't be hard to have a running list going and have it signed ASAP.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a science, hes been a master of the craft for a very long time now having been in the entertainment industry. Whatever his intentions good or bad from any of this, the end result is the same; we as a nation are always talking about his latest antics and not what will progress our country further.
Whether he expressly intends to distract with some of this and whether or not he actually succeeds in his "distraction", the overall outcome is the same: people see our president and leader of one of the most influential countries in the world doing and saying fundamentally stupid and outright awful things.

That's not exactly what I'd call "mastery of the craft". It's not like there aren't always many things going on in the world that are overlapping and potentially distracting from one another, regardless of what Trump is announcing or doing at the moment.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope the next Democrat President just reverts every one of Trump's changes on day 1. It shouldn't be hard to have a running list going and have it signed ASAP.
Like Trump just reverted Obama's changes? I'm all for getting rid of this piece of garbage's regressive policies(it will have to be done at some point), but we are so fucked if each admin is going to just retroactively fuck over the last one's decisions. The country will never be able to make any progress if this becomes normal for future admins.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
You realize by making it okay to bring back elephant trophies, you're basically saying you don't care about the well being of the elephant population in the first place?
No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that bringing back the elephant trophies is irrelevant in the big picture. Banning the return of these trophies isn't stopping people from killing elephants (if it does, then yeah, ban it).

All I'm saying is that bigger change than"you can't bring back heads" is necessary to really stop the killing of elephants

But yeah, if this actually had an effect on the well being of the elephant population Trump is an asshole for allowing it.

Ajax35

Alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that bringing back the elephant trophies is irrelevant in the big picture. Banning the return of these trophies isn't stopping people from killing elephants (if it does, then yeah, ban it).

All I'm saying is that bigger change than"you can't bring back heads" is necessary to really stop the killing of elephants

But yeah, if this actually had an effect on the well being of the elephant population Trump is an asshole for allowing it.

If the decision rule is "Do what serves the well being of the elephant population," then we should be encouraging trophy hunting, not making it more difficult. When animals have economic value that can be extracted by "owners," their populations tend to thrive (like cattle in the US). Otherwise, elephants become nuisance animals that folks leave to the poachers.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God, he is such a fucking cunt. Pardon my French.

He's like a proper parody of a cartoon villain. Do something about him American's.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
If the decision rule is "Do what serves the well being of the elephant population," then we should be encouraging trophy hunting, not making it more difficult. When animals have economic value that can be extracted by "owners," their populations tend to thrive (like cattle in the US). Otherwise, elephants become nuisance animals that folks leave to the poachers.
I mean the trouble with that is that the caretakers of many of the animals in that situation are treated like shit.

I don't see how elephants are 'nuisance' animals

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Like Trump just reverted Obama's changes? I'm all for getting rid of this piece of garbage's regressive policies(it will have to be done at some point), but we are so fucked if each admin is going to just retroactively fuck over the last one's decisions. The country will never be able to make any progress if this becomes normal for future admins.

Trump removing Obama's policies is just spiteful.

A Democrat reversing Trump's policies is correcting a laundry list of fuck ups.

Hopefully after Trump is gone, it will revert back into redoing or getting rid of policies that don't work.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
We going to get another FDR who just says fuck it and drags everyone kicking and screaming to the present with EOs.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Watch the video posted above your post. Trophy Hunting expeditions cost a ton of money for hunters, and generally involve paying tens or hundreds of thousands to put down animals they would be putting down anyway--most of the money going towards conservation (some countries and localities obviously skim more than others). It's the same way we use things like hunting license and tag fees to help hire more game wardens and control deer population. This isn't directed towards poachers obviously, so who cares if people are importing this stuff. It's entirely selfish on the Trump administrations part, but it's not a huge deal tbh.
If this was true, we would not be facing animal extinction for many races and we wouldn't feel outrage.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017

Not allowing elephant trophies being brought into the US is a better alternative than nothing at all.

We have state sponsored executions of unarmed humans in america. Itd be nice to see people get more worked up about that than elephants.

We can be concerned about multiple things.

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Trump:

Big-game trophy decision will be announced next week but will be very hard pressed to change my mind that this horror show in any way helps conservation of Elephants or any other animal.

WHAT THE FUCK!? YOU'RE THE ONE WHO MADE IT AN ISSUE AGAIN!!!!

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
I mean the trouble with that is that the caretakers of many of the animals in that situation are treated like shit.

I don't see how elephants are 'nuisance' animals

How could they not be? Imagine those massive things wandering around Napa Valley. If they don't have an economic value then they won't be tolerated because they surely fuck up farmland, fencing for domesticated animals, and are probably dangerous around humans. Their populations HAVE to be managed by selective hunting. May as well make money off of it. It's not like these things are way out in uninhabited jungle. They are around all sorts of human settlements. HUNTERS care about keeping elephants around. Farmers....not so much.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
How could they not be? Imagine those massive things wandering around Napa Valley. If they don't have an economic value then they won't be tolerated because they surely fuck up farmland, fencing for domesticated animals, and are probably dangerous around humans. Their populations HAVE to be managed by selective hunting. May as well make money off of it. It's not like these things are way out in uninhabited jungle. They are around all sorts of human settlements. HUNTERS care about keeping elephants around. Farmers....not so much.

Respectfully, as a hunter, I have to ask, what the hell is wrong with you? Sure, in the case of some species you may be correct. But you are talking about one of the most intelligent and endangered animals on the fucking planet...

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I get why people hunt and come from a family of hunters. Hell, I just ate partridge that was the result of my family's hunting trip in October. I don't really like the idea of killing animals, and could never do it myself, but I can't say much because I eat most of what they kill and always have. If it wasn't for meat, my diet would be pretty limited as I'm a picky eater.

That said, I feel for these elephants and think that this decision is pretty evil. When elephants are endangered, and are incredibly smart animals, it's cruel to kill them, especially for trophies. Elephants are innocent. They are not eaten by us, but people kill them for fun. It's evil and unnecessary.

I have a handicapped family member who's always been in love with elephants, and has pictures/folk art of them throughout her room. I've also got a soft spot for them.

By allowing this, tyrant asshat Trump is further damaging this world. The guy can go to hell.

Gaius Cassius

Oct 28, 2017
Oregon
I get why people hunt and come from a family of hunters. Hell, I just ate partridge that was the result of my family's hunting trip in October. I don't really like the idea of killing animals, and could never do it myself, but I can't say much because I eat most of what they kill and always have. If it wasn't for meat, my diet would be pretty limited as I'm a picky eater.

That said, I feel for these elephants and think that this decision is pretty evil. When elephants are endangered, and are incredibly smart animals, it's cruel to kill them, especially for trophies. Elephants are innocent. They are not eaten by us, but people kill them for fun. It's evil and unnecessary.

I have a handicapped family member who's always been in love with elephants, and has pictures/folk art of them throughout her room. I've also got a soft spot for them.

By allowing this, tyrant asshat Trump is further damaging this world. The guy can go to hell.

You know what's the most ironic part? This piece of shit administration is doing this to the animal that is their mascot and symbol. No complaints from DC. Huh..

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for Obama at this point. The guy who gets your job after you does everything in his power to specifically undo everything you did.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm sure everyone knows how I feel about elephants and that their sentient creatures and that they shouldn't be hunted because they mourn their dead and have rituals and language and fuck this is awful that man is awful I don't even have words.

Fuck everything

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT THE FUCK!? YOU'RE THE ONE WHO MADE IT AN ISSUE AGAIN!!!!
Hm. Maybe he directs his staff to systematically undo everything Obama implemented and he signs off on each change without reading. Massive bipartisan pushback is the only thing that gets him to actually pay attention, and he then responds as though the new policy came from someone else.

I'm just trying to understand. Nothing makes sense anymore.

Hentai

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow.

This guy just does things to satisfy himself even if it harms others. Why people still support him is a mystery.

Oct 27, 2017
Tn, USA
Respectfully, as a hunter, I have to ask, what the hell is wrong with you? Sure, in the case of some species you may be correct. But you are talking about one of the most intelligent and endangered animals on the fucking planet...

Calm down, we can have a rational discussion about this. For starters, the elephant population is actually over the sustainable level in some areas of Africa, so "endangered" is a variable term. Again, think of these things roaming around Napa Valley. How much tolerance should the locals have for them? The numbers of elephants MUST be controlled, especially since there are very few natural predators. So if the government has to kill some, why not profit from it. It's not like they just invite Bubba over and let him blast away (though I bet there will be a scene in Black Panther that is exactly that), rather they select specific animals that are old, sick, aggressive, or otherwise damaging to the overall health of the herd and specifically kill that animal. So the government can do it at a loss, or they can sell/auction a tag and make HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. Since it is legal they can recover the body, portion out the meat, help the entire community in ways that poaching may not. Legal sources of ivory will undercut the black market as well.

I get it, no one wants to think of these majestic animals being "trophy hunted", but face it, they are fundamentally incompatible with modern life. So in order for the locals to tolerate them, they MUST have value so local farmers and ranchers will work to help sustain the population instead of just wanting them all gone. With proper management the herds can thrive, environments can be designed to accommodate them, and when individuals need to be culled, it can profit the local economy to do so. Otherwise the animals run rampant, population surge above the sustainable level, and in the chaos many more elephants are killed. Elephants are not Dumbo.