Oct 25, 2017
The Trump administration filed a brief with the Supreme Court on Friday arguing that employers should be allowed to discriminate against, or even fire, their lesbian, gay and bisexual employees simply due to their sexual orientation.

The Justice Department intervened in one of two matters before the high court set to address LGBTQ employment discrimination during the court's next term. At issue is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which makes it a crime for employers "to fail or refuse to hire" or otherwise discriminate against a prospective or actual employee "because of such individual's... sex."

While the Supreme Court has held that discrimination on the basis of sex encompasses actions taken or beliefs held by an employer that subject an employee to gender stereotypes, the court has never ruled on whether sex-based discrimination necessarily extends to sexual orientation.

In fact, appellate courts have traditionally held that sexual orientation is not a protected characteristic under Title VII, with one noted exception. In 2017, a federal appellate court reversed a prior holding to declare that discrimination against one's sexual orientation does violate the law.

With its brief on Friday, the Department of Justice is trying to impel the Supreme Court to issue a precedent-setting ruling that would give the green light to employers nationwide who are not encumbered by state anti-discrimination ordinances.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
qGhiEIe.gif

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Trump admnistration need their own sub-forum at this rate grabbing these many headlines

Oct 25, 2017
Remarkably, the department argued in its memorandum that the reason anti-gay discrimination is not unlawful under the ban on sex-based discrimination is because, in cases of adverse treatment by an employer, both gay men and gay women would be addressed equally poorly.

Upon experiencing discrimination from an employer, both men and women in same-sex relationships "would be similarly situated — and they would be treated the same," the department argued, negating a claim under Title VII's sex-based protections.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Aside from how stupid and comically evil this is, it's not even true since lesbians would still need to deal with all the other discrimination women face as well as the homophobia

edit: Oh, misread since the title is bit misleading. This is about a specific policy. Still super fucking evil

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure Trump's team is just trying to take as big a shit as possible on the desk of the Oval Office so that, when the Democrats take it in 2020, the Republicans can just blame the Democrats for inevitably taking ages to clean it up.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans have always argued that protections on the basis of sex do not apply to LGBT individuals.

Any Republican administration would be advancing the same arguments.

And it's almost certain that the Supreme Court is going to rule that the protections do not apply.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
tenor.gif

I just cant keep up with this shit anymore, its like every day theres more and more heinous and vile fucking things coming from these utter fucking motherfuckers

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
God this is awful. This is why I'm hiding out in Washington where we have state level protections, until the federal government gets its shit sorted out. My husband is gay and as a teacher he was terrified of being fired in Texas. There was a lesbian teacher there who showed a picture of herself and her wife in Halloween costume in a slideshow at school and the kids told the parents who complained to the board and got her fired.

It's time sexual orientation become a protected class. It's something fluid that is out of your control and has no effect on your ability to perform a job!

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Log Cabin Republicans meanwhile endorsed Trump saying he has kept his commitment to LGBT community, proving once again that regardless of sexual orientation, race, religion or anything else, right-wingers are simply, eternally disgusting pieces of shit who will watch those in their own communities lose their livelihoods, jobs or even lives because of horrible policies and shrug.

Oct 25, 2017
Even if you try to ignore the issue of clear expanded identity discrimination markers I'm not sure there is evidence to backup that gay men and women really have the same experience (or that an unequal experience of sexual orientation is not further exacerbated by sex). By default you'd suspect this is not the case, in fact one would expect that these might actually be orthogonal with each sex experiences a completely different set of obstacles.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
So that's one of the arguments they're going with?!

We've known they would be awful, but reading this it just baffles my mind.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And it's his administration that's allowing them all to be treated poorly. Fuck this misdirection shit

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Even if you try to ignore the issue of clear expanded identity discrimination markers I'm not sure there is evidence to backup that gay men and women really have the same experience (or that an unequal experience of sexual orientation is not further exacerbated by sex). By default you'd suspect this is not the case, in fact one would expect that these might actually be orthogonal with each sex experiences a completely different set of obstacles.
No, the argument is that a person fired for being gay was fired for being gay, regardless if they were male or female.

The Republican position is and has always been that sex discrimination under Title 7 refers only to biological sex.

Even when the Supreme Court finally affirms, all it would take is an act of Congress to pass legislation protecting LGBT workers from discrimination (a bill has already passed the current House). But it requires full Democratic control of the government, which is extremely unlikely.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Log Cabin Republicans meanwhile endorsed Trump saying he has kept his commitment to LGBT community, proving once again that regardless of sexual orientation, race, religion or anything else, right-wingers are simply, eternally disgusting pieces of shit who will watch those in their own communities lose their livelihoods, jobs or even lives because of horrible policies and shrug.

Yup, hate meeting all the Log Cabin Republicans I do in Texas. Inventably racist "fuck you got mine" white gays.

A log cabin Republican is just a Republican...They don't actually give a shit about LGBT rights.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
every fucking day there's something the fuck else that I manage to shake my head at that was more absolutely insane than the last

i swear to christ

GET ME OFF THIS FUCKIN RIDE

also,

I wish I could find the NPR segment with one of the Log Cabin reps, just so that you could hear him try to explain this dumb shit.

edit: found one of the interviews (video). enjoy

Do watch.

Last edited:

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in Washington State:
bfc1e05e-db28-452f-9gvjn9.jpeg

I guess we will just have to pray that SCOTUS doesn't rule in favor, and hope that state governments increase protections and LGBTQ equity (like above) until we can get a Democrat in office

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
You can justify literally anything with that rationale.
Let's discriminate on the basis of religion and race because after all men and women would be equally discriminated against!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
a senior member of the log cabin republicans quit on principle after they endorsed Trump. If she had principles to begin with then she might have realized that her organization was a contradiction in terms but at least she finally did something about it.

Edit. I thought it was chair Jill Holman but nope.

Former head also quit the organization.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone involved with this shithole administration should be shunned from the public for the rest of their fucking lives.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I guess we will just have to pray that SCOTUS doesn't rule in favor, and hope that state governments increase protections and LGBTQ equity (like above) until we can get a Democrat in office
1) They will; 2) Blue states already do; and 3) you need control of the Senate (60 votes), which is almost impossible.

This is the kind of logic employed by teenage Republicans.
If you read the arguments, it's the logic employed by all Republicans.

Discrimination on the basis of sex does not apply to LGBT people (firing a gay person because they are gay is not sex discrimination). This is what they have always argued, and they have a Supreme Court now that will validate it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh did she? she had her minions on every channel a few days ago defending it.

embarrassing defense, mind you.

I added a link but she quit a day or two ago. Can't fault that decision but even after that you could tell they're just gay assholes who only care about their own specific situation and are actually enabling decades of harm and obstruction to other LGBTQ communities and I don't think the comparison to Vichy French is unfair.

Edit. Not chair - board member

Nov 2, 2017
Stuff like this feels like a good time to mention what an abject failure Anthony Kennedy's term on the court was. He definitely wants to have a legacy of being the fifth vote for a number of pro-LGBT decisions, but the way he did that was to basically never actually use or define any sort of real quantifiable legal framework. Instead, since there wasn't 5 votes in favor without him in most cases, he basically slowly doled out rights as though he was a parent slowly trickling out halloween candy to their kid.

And so, what we have is a bunch of decisions that never declared any sort of actual quantifiable legal framework for why discrimination against LGBT people is actually unconstitutional, and now someone way worse than Kennedy is sitting in his seat ready to undo all that work.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Was there even any reason to file this brief? As in, is there a case it's attached to or is related to something happening? Or did they do it just because they wanted to push forward this precedent?

I want to see the Log Cabin Republican response to this. I already took great issue with their endorsement, and I just want to see how they comment on this. This is the administration actively working against the community AGAIN.

Jaq'or

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jun 6, 2018

No lies detected.