• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh.

This system has been planned since about 2015, but of course it had to come into effect now.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Presidential Alert: Manafort is a liar. WITCH HUNT!

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
He is going to mass text us whenever he posts on Twitter. He'd give people reasons to not use their phones as often.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Don't send shit to my phone
My dumbass is going to forget this shit and get spooked when the times come

Deleted member 6573

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PRESIDENTIAL ALERT:

"THE ILLEGAL MUELLER WITCH HUNT CONTINUES IN SEARCH OF A CRIME. THERE WAS NEVER COLLUSION WITH RUSSIA, EXCEPT BY THE CLINTON CAMPAIGN, SO THE 17 ANGRY DEMOCRATS ARE LOOKING AT ANYTHING THEY CAN FIND. VERY UNFAIR AND ***BAD*** FOR THE COUNTRY. ***ALSO***, NOT ALLOWED UNDER THE ***LAW***!"

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
we already had a thread about this

it's basically just a new version of the emergency broadcast system

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck this. If I get this shit, I'm calling AT&T to bitch them out. I don't need that asshole's hateful propaganda being piped right to me.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
DONT BELIEVE THE RIGGED WITCH HUNT
HILARY EMAILS
OBAMA SHADOWGOV
MUELLER AND THE CROOKED DEMS

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Doubt Apple will allow this to happen on their devices. Really lame this is a thing.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like people playing on my phone.

I can already see the dark future of receiving text versions of Trump tweets.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I can't wait to immediately block this number.

It's not a number. These are essentially backdoor messages delivered directly to your phone from your serving tower/network. You cannot avoid them and they will override anything you are actively doing at the time. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of an effective alert.

We have them in Canada too.

https://www.alertready.ca/

Like I get everyone is in a huff because Trump happened to be the President when this went through, but the actual system isn't the problem. If you need to quickly send an emergency alert to people in a specific area (environmental disaster, quarantine, terrorist situation), a cell phone is the most likely thing someone is going to have on them, so it's the most effective means to reach them.

Llazy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this for android phones as well? What If I turn all my notifications off?

Zombegoast

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The fun of getting Amber Alert at work and sleeping.

Also Presidential Alerts are on by default on smartphones and can't be turned off.

Pelicano

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. It'll probably just be like an amber alert, however I would audibly laugh out loud if it was used for anything else, since you know, itd be the end times.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
Well that sounds a bi--

"Former President Barack Obama signed a law in 2016 requiring FEMA to create a system allowing the president to send cellphone alerts regarding public safety emergencies."

Jesus christ, I can't tell if people are joking or not any more.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
How are peoe saying they're gonna block the number? It's gonna be an Alert like those Flash Flood warnings

Th3BranMan

Nov 8, 2017
Man in office aside, there's nothing wrong with this. In fact, it gives me something to look forward to at work.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna love being in class and having 40 phones erupt in screeching noises as we're all informed the POTUS has saved America from the 17 Democrats

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Guys this has existed for a while, Trump could have been spamming our phones since day one in office if that was his plan.

By default you can disable all alerts (Amber / weather / etc..) except presidential. But I think with some custom Android ROMs you can disable it.

Oct 30, 2017
Guys this has existed for a while, Trump could have been spamming our phones since day one in office if that was his plan.

And radios/televisions. The bureaucracy of how this system is set up won't allow the President to just send whatever he wants at a whim. Even if he wanted to, it would be disregarded the way Mattis and Sessions disregard his dumb commands.

I can't wait to immediately block this number.

Blocking yourself from getting national emergency alerts to own Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.