BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Jon Stewart had a segment about this talking about how these procedures can be boring as fuck, and for someone of Trump's age, it makes sense he'd snooze here and there. At the same time he talked about how the media could probably be healthier in their coverage and not treat every thing he does while sitting there as an earth-shattering event.

The thing is, Stewart knows exactly why this is a big deal, and he's somewhat guilty to perpetuating it. He led his first show back with discussions of Biden's age, even taking it into his interview into that show and really questioning Biden's fitness for the job - it's quite clear that this is a pushback on that.

Now, should we just acknowledge that it's annoying that we can only choose between two old people and instead focus on the fact that one of them wants to be a dictator? Yes, absolutely, but the media as a whole has been making a big deal about Biden's age for a long time (see: the Hur report, his mixup on the President of Egypt, numerous other stories), so it's a bit rich to pull the "this isn't Earth shattering!" card when it happens to Trump.

(Not calling you out, just a frustration with Stewart)

Beren

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, Stewart knows exactly why this is a big deal, and he's somewhat guilty to perpetuating it. He led his first show back with discussions of Biden's age, even taking it into his interview into that show and really questioning Biden's fitness for the job - it's quite clear that this is a pushback on that.

Now, should we just acknowledge that it's annoying that we can only choose between two old people and instead focus on the fact that one of them wants to be a dictator? Yes, absolutely, but the media as a whole has been making a big deal about Biden's age for a long time (see: the Hur report, his mixup on the President of Egypt, numerous other stories), so it's a bit rich to pull the "this isn't Earth shattering!" card when it happens to Trump.

No, that's valid. I honestly forgot about the Biden Is Old argument because it's so dumb given his opponent.

I guess I'd amend my statement to "the media's priorities are completely bonkers."

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017

Jon Stewart pushing the both sides bullshit has been very disappointing, and I'm far from a fan of Biden.

Oct 25, 2017
He did what he was told that's got to hurt lol

View: https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1785364879370584314
Breaking on @MSNBC: All the Truth Social and campaign website posts that Judge Merchan ruled violated his gag order have now been deleted.

I get why the judge did this but I can't see how it makes a difference since all that info has been out there for a while now and everything he posts is basically screenshotted and posted on places like reddit for instance. It's not hard to find the deleted info. Watch fox news run some kind of story like "here are the tweets/truths Judge Merchan doesn't want you to see"

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I get why the judge did this but I can't see how it makes a difference since all that info has been out there for a while now and everything he posts is basically screenshotted and posted on places like reddit for instance. It's not hard to find the deleted info. Watch fox news run some kind of story like "here are the tweets/truths Judge Merchan doesn't want you to see"
It's ultimately about the message to make clear, Trump is not in charge. And, his stupid base will lose some voters as soon as Trump shows any kind of weakness to them.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

mac-and-me.jpg

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Trump's motion to stay proceedings in the Appellate Division has been DENIED.

Meanwhile, seems like Davidson is a pretty entertaining witness.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
That's a wrap for today. Back Thursday for the next exciting installment of desperate defense of gag order violations at 9:30.

Oct 26, 2017
Also I think at the end of the day, Trump just doesn't take this trial that seriously. There isn't much money at stake and there's no real jail time at stake. This is just about trying to avoid having a conviction on his record, which may or may not make a noticeable difference in the election.

I imagine Trump will be wide awake in the J6 and especially the Classified documents case because there he faces the potential of real incarceration. But with the Stormy trial, Trump is primarily just annoyed that he can't campaign and he's stuck in a cold court room for 4-5 days a week.

RedCrake

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, GA
I'd normally dismiss the whole falling asleep thing as "old man, long and boring days in court."

But if you're gonna go around shouting "Sleepy Joe!" then maybe you should keep your ass awake at trial.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
That's hilarious..."devices" I need courtroom sketches with Trump in a shock collar and/or getting gently cattle prodded by his lawyers.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Ah yes. Recusal abuse. A definitely real thing, where a clearly compromised justice (or "conflicted" as Donnie likes to say) with some sort of personal stake in the case opts not to recuse themselves. How could any self-respecting judge do such a thing?

[...Said Doorman, staring plainly in Clarence Thomas' direction the entire time.]

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Ah yes. Recusal abuse. A definitely real thing, where a clearly compromised justice (or "conflicted" as Donnie likes to say) with some sort of personal stake in the case opts not to recuse themselves. How could any self-respecting judge do such a thing?

[...Said Doorman, staring plainly in Clarence Thomas' direction the entire time.]
I know it was not your intention to equivocate, but there's also a yacht-sized difference in Clarence Thomas' corruption and Merchan having an individual in his life who did something for the Democratic Party.

The thing of it is, New York being a largely D state, yeah you're gonna get more democrats chosen for public positions. That's just how democracy works.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Him and Jesse Waters are desperately looking into each others eyes each night, desperately telling each other the magic bullets that'll make everything all OK.

Just with more stochastic terrorism, so its not all sad mockery.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/1785299606487650761

Donald J. Trump's Manhattan criminal trial had barely begun when he started to turn his anger toward his lead lawyer, Todd Blanche.

Although Mr. Blanche has been Mr. Trump's favorite lawyer for some time, behind closed doors and in phone calls, the former president has complained repeatedly about him in recent weeks, according to four people familiar with the situation.

He has griped that Mr. Blanche, a former federal prosecutor and veteran litigator, has not been following his instructions closely, and has been insufficiently aggressive. Mr. Trump wants him to attack witnesses, attack what the former president sees as a hostile jury pool, and attack the judge, Juan M. Merchan.

Mr. Trump, who often complains about legal fees and sometimes refuses to pay them, has also wondered aloud why his lawyers cost so much, according to the people, who all spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive topic.

Nearly every lawyer who has ever represented Mr. Trump has spent time in the blast zone. But as he enters the third week of his first criminal trial — one that not only threatens his campaign to become president again, but also could send him to prison — the question of whether his lawyers can win enough leeway from his desires has never loomed larger.

Mr. Trump views himself as his own best legal strategist. Since becoming president, he has cast about for lawyers who would do exactly what he wanted, including helping him stay in office after he lost the 2020 election. He has vented to others that he does not have "a Roy Cohn," a reference to his notoriously ruthless former lawyer. Mr. Cohn, who represented Mr. Trump in his formative business years, was repeatedly indicted and ultimately disbarred.

--------

It has become routine over the last year for Mr. Trump to blast his legal team moments before heading to the courthouse, or once inside.

So far at least, Mr. Trump — who erupted repeatedly during two civil trials in the past six months — has been respectful of Mr. Blanche's strategy while jurors are present. And Mr. Blanche has been doing things that appear to reflect his client's desires. For instance, in his opening statement, Mr. Blanche made a point of mentioning that Mr. Trump had built a "very large, successful company."