Fnor

Nov 7, 2023
TPM's (extremely good) investigative reporter Josh Kovensky is at the trial and has been extremely good about what's going on with a smattering of opinion and context that to my mind ring true.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Also...
If someone avoids certain modes of communication because they believe it can "bring them down," doesn't that prove their awareness that they are committing crimes?
Trying to be fair-minded about this, I would say "not necessarily." Being worried about being "brought down" may at least indicate some idea that what you're doing might have negative implications for you if made widely public, but that could mean much more than criminal activity.

Like...someone having texts or emails come to light showing that they're having an affair would certainly have negative consequences for them, could damage their reputation or their relationships, but having an affair is not specifically a crime as such.

As for the rest of the case, I'm still struggling to get past the admission that Cohen was given the offer to work for Trump--and took him up on it--only after he neglected to pay Cohen back $100k for previous services. I can't imagine agreeing to something like that.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Cohen is a scummy individual. The perfect person that Trump attracts. Cohen laid it all to support Trump, and went to prison over it. This is Cohen's moment, he's been waiting years to get his chance, and he finally has it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think the large portion of Ohioans who were willing to vote for Vance, a huckster and gross fraud, are more than fine with kissing the ass of Trump, a huckster and gross fraud.

You might be surprised. There are two kinds of Republicans in Ohio. Trumpers and the old guard. The old guard are the ones that love Kasich and DeWine and their style of Republicans. Trump isn't a dealbreaker for them but they're also not singing his praises. The reason that Vance was a good candidate here was that there were times when he spoke against Trump and times when he fell in line behind Trump and both kinds of Republicans had something to point to in order for him to get their vote.

If Vance went for VP, I think Ryan should try another run.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Did he really bring in a handful of senators for moral support today? LMAO! Most people bring like, their family... Piss baby here is so fragile he needs senators to make him feel confident.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Did he really bring in a handful of senators for moral support today? LMAO! Most people bring like, their family... Piss baby here is so fragile he needs senators to make him feel confident.
I feel like he's gonna use them to go out on the cable shows and talk shit "I was there today, inside the courtroom. I was able to see the conflicted judge up close and personal. And let me tell you, I've never seen a more fake trial in my life"

Merriweather

Oct 29, 2017
You might be surprised. There are two kinds of Republicans in Ohio. Trumpers and the old guard. The old guard are the ones that love Kasich and DeWine and their style of Republicans. Trump isn't a dealbreaker for them but they're also not singing his praises. The reason that Vance was a good candidate here was that there were times when he spoke against Trump and times when he fell in line behind Trump and both kinds of Republicans had something to point to in order for him to get their vote.

If Vance went for VP, I think Ryan should try another run.
My wife likes to say that JD Vance is a candidate that her brother and all of his late 40s/early 50s friends will think "hey that guy looks just like me" and that's enough to get their vote.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I feel like he's gonna use them to go out on the cable shows and talk shit "I was there today, inside the courtroom. I was able to see the conflicted judge up close and personal. And let me tell you, I've never seen a more fake trial in my life"

The Fox News Cinematic Universe is so fucking bizarre and weird and boring. They gotta bring in their good ol boys to make things extra high stakes and serious for the 7pm time slot.

drarmstrong

Feb 4, 2024
I wish there were cameras showing this as to be honest even though this wasn't the one I thought was the most consequential of his trials, it felt like the most easy case to get him on. Because we don't see it play out in front of our eyes it is a bit hard to follow when I'm busy with other things. I hope the Georgia one gets televised as the web of characters is more famous anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
Yep, they both jockeying for that VP spot. Trump values loyalty above all else.

Same reason why nobody from the primary getting the nomination. They challenged his "right" to be president again.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
"if Trump had spent spent his own money to pay off Pecker, no crime?"

Nope. If Trump had used his own money to pay off McDougal there would have been no crime. That's because a candidate can spend unlimited amounts of their own money on their campaign.

Pecker paying McDougal was an illegal campaign contribution at the time it happened. If Trump had then paid Pecker and covered it up in the accounts we'd have the exact same scenario as for Stormy. But he didn't pay, so it isn't. Of course it is still a crime for the Trump campaign to accept that contribution, but the DA can't charge it directly because (a) it is federal, not state and (b) statute of limitations lapsed. (all this IIRC)

So that's why all the focus is on Stormy - that's the one that we have business records for.

Honestly, this stuff is so hard to get right that my biggest worry about the case is that the defense can just blow some smoke about there being "no campaign funds involved" to completely confuse the jury.
Thank you. Yeah it's still a little confusing tbh. I can see how the jury could be confused, and ofc Cruz and the like on TV saying so what if he slept with someone, but ofc that's not the crime.

I just find it fascinating how his own lifelong quest to avoid paying for things and avoid being pinned for crimes has this time actually created the crime, that he could have easily avoided by just writing a check himself direct to the women.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
da6441bd-bb30-4381-979a-698043b65c8c.jpg

Cohen reading emails and transcripts while Trump is sleeping in the background.

Bengraven