FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The threads are all being tied together by Cohen. And frankly, I'm impressed with how well he seems to be handling himself in court. No emotion, just facts.

The lack of emotion HAS to be pissing Trump off. Each thread that gets completed, that's another felony that he's going to get hammered with.
"COHEN was totally too calm in court! He must have been on something! GRAAAAAA" - Trump later, probably

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I think people forget that Cohen was a lawyer and thus knows how to handle himself in court.

I mean, the whole thing about Cohen is that he was basically a fake lawyer. And before we give him any kudos, we should see how he stands up under cross, because prosecution is obviously gonna be friendly with him.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
Cohen just doing the bare minimum "yes/no" clearly rattled the defense. You can tell the plan was to make him look bad and have a flare up.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the whole thing about Cohen is that he was basically a fake lawyer. And before we give him any kudos, we should see how he stands up under cross, because prosecution is obviously gonna be friendly with him.
I might be misremembering it, but wasn't Habba's cross of Cohen one of her few displays of decent lawyering?

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
The Cohen cross-examination is about to get ugly.

I expect many repeats and variations on "But you lied about this, right? Why should we believe you now?" I expect further veiled threats to his freedom as well ("your lies today will get you thrown back in jail"). I don't know how he manages to get around it without having a blow-up. Hopefully he holds together long enough.

Re-direct then will be also quite interesting, because they will very likely say, "But why did you lie?"

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
All Cohen needs to say is "I lied to protect my client. My client was Donald J. Trump. I went to prison for it and paid my sentence." over and over and over again, anytime any question about Cohen being a convicted felon for lying is brought up.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
*Trump commits crime and is in the process of being held accountable*

Katy Tur just now: "do you think this trial is going to backfire on Democrats in the election?"

The last couple of days on MSNBC during these midday hours have basically been Michael Cohen bashing hour. Feels like they've completely forgotten that it is Trump that's on trial here.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Trump's Lawyers Are Making Major Mistakes​

As Donald Trump's criminal trial in Manhattan reaches a critical turning point, an amusing paradox has emerged. For once, Trump claims to be happy with his lawyers' performance after a long history of fractious relationships with his attorneys. This might ordinarily be a welcome development for him — but the problem is that they are not doing a particularly good job defending him.
Adding to the strangeness of all this is the fact that Trump's defense team is probably the strongest group that he has assembled in any of his various legal proceedings to date. The principal lawyers are experienced criminal litigators who, as a group, are moderately to very well regarded among New York City's white-collar bar.

At the moment, it's impossible to know for sure how Trump will ultimately fare in the case. The trial is now likely to turn in large part on the jury's assessment of Michael Cohen's credibility, which has always been the central risk for prosecutors.

But it's also clear that Trump's lawyers are pursuing a flawed and risky strategy. Why? Most likely it's not them, but him. Trump is the client, and he gets the final word on major decisions. So far as I can tell, this team has managed to stay on Trump's good side by indulging — perhaps necessarily — his worst traits and instincts. It may be their downfall.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Direct done just in time for lunch. Cross will start about 2pm. Will be compelling.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
The Cohen testimony is incredibly damning. It renders the whole thing basically an open and shut case. It sounds like the jury is locked into his testimony also, which is good.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
They have to destroy his credibility. I think it's plausible they will. I'm hoping they fail though. He's faced this at least once now, so I hope he's better prepared than last time we saw him crumble.
I mean that's why they had Cohen reinforce documented facts rather than pure testimony. Lot harder to overturn that way

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
I mean that's why they had Cohen reinforce documented facts rather than pure testimony. Lot harder to overturn that way
That's correct. The big issue is that Trump and his team would like to paint this as all on Cohen's word. The reality is that he was raided by the FBI and that's why he went to prison in the first place. Most of this evidence is enough to show something illegal occurred. Cohen's testimony simply offers context to things that might be ambiguous. Particularly, I think the point about him finally admitting he was done lying for Trump being directly tied to people like Bob Costello pressuring him to be quiet after he had similarly pressured Stormy Daniels goes to the idea that this is just how things work in Trump's world and Cohen was a victim of that just like everyone else has been.

They spent most of this trial so far interviewing other people and getting a foundation that needs not rely on Cohen but rather documents and the other people (i.e. the people not convicted of perjury) involved in the scheme.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Probably not for a couple of weeks? Prosecution still has to finish their case, then the defense has to present their case.
Based on cross examinations so far I can only imagine what sort of landfill sized trash fire that'll be.

... Though I could also totally picture Trump getting a bee in his bonnet to just rest without presenting any sort of defense, or having his lawyers spew some sort of verbal diarrhea.

OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
There really hasn't been a lot presented for defense in other cases. I could see the defense resting Friday or Monday unless Trump chooses to testify. lol

I'm guessing there will be a verdict by the 24th.

No court on Friday. Trump's been given the day off to go to Barron's high school graduation.