NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Every single news outlet should be covering and hammering home how much of a false equivalency this bullshit is. But no I'm sure there will be framing of it as a both sides issue. I am so sick of how utterly meaningless and gutless the news media has become in this country.

"From Joe Biden refusing to interfere in investigations to Donald Trump proclaiming he will use the office to destroy his enemies, both sides are politicizing the Department of Justice.

By Maureen Dowd"

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
To any random GOP Congressperson this week:

"What is your comment on Donald Trump saying he will weaponize the DoJ against his enemies?"

"Uhhh, I haven't seen his comment. I have an elevator to catch."

Media: That's good enough.

BradyTheGOAT

Banned
Aug 25, 2023
To any random GOP Congressperson this week:

"What is your comment on Donald Trump saying he will weaponize the DoJ against his enemies?"

"Uhhh, I haven't seen his comment. I have an elevator to catch."

Media: That's good enough.

No, depending on which congressperson is asked they just might outright say "well President Trump is right"

DC Circuit hearing 9 Jan - LIVE LINK
OP
OP
phisheep

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Tuesday, 9:30 am Eastern is oral arguments on Presidential Immunity appeal in the DC Circuit. Should be a good listen if you want to hear Trump's lawyers getting skewered.

Youtube Listen Live link is here. (I'll probably be out, and will have to catch up later.)

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised the property records are public. Usually those in politics or law enforcement can get that information redacted.

Rhowm

Nov 27, 2017
Hopefully theses assholes will stop when they realize that their tactics are ineffective in their ultimate intention.
It was called off when the Marshalls protecting smith informed the police/swat that it was bullshit

baskcm

Oct 27, 2017
One of these days I'll wake up in the uk and see a news alert saying this POS will have croaked in the night from a heart attack I will then smile to myself.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
One of these days I'll wake up in the uk and see a news alert saying this POS will have croaked in the night from a heart attack I will then smile to myself.
Agreed. I'm starting to come to the realization that he's 77, you look at him at recent events, he looks fucking terrible. The stress is clearly getting to him, so I'll take solace on him croaking due to the cases piling on him, than him setting one day in prison, which may never happen with the number of appeals he'll do.

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH

This immunity argument is NOT going well for Donnie Dipshit.

"Now PAN pressing Trump's attorney on why, if president's are "absolutely immune" from prosecution for official acts, they're also arguing an impeached/convicted president can be prosecuted for official acts."

They destroyed their own case in less than 5 minutes. That has to be a new record.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
This panel of judges are absolutely DESTROYING this idiot Trump lawyer's arguments.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm listening to this court case right now .. (Is there actual video anywhere?)

Whoever is speaking badly sounds like they need to clear their throat damn

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
The wild thing is there are very conservative judges here.
They're actually asking questions that many of us and many TV pundits have been asking for years.

Could a President order someone killed and be completely immune? Can a POTUS sell pardons and be totally immune? Could a POTUS do ____ crime and be immune?

And the Trump lawyer's answer is fucking YES unless he has been impeached and convicted first! Total insanity!

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
They're actually asking questions that many of us and many TV pundits have been asking for years.

Could a President order someone killed and be completely immune? Can a POTUS sell pardons and be totally immune? Could a POTUS do ____ crime and be immune?

And the Trump lawyer's answer is fucking YES unless he has been impeached and convicted first! Total insanity!

If this decision comes down quickly which I suspect it will my hope is SCOTUS doesn't hear the appeal so we can get back to the trial itself

millsaps05

May 21, 2022
The argument is the president can do anything which makes their own power worthless. No one with any sense would agree to that.
Right, they are arguing that in a country that was partly founded on the rejection of the idea of a "King" that a President is basically "King" while in office and immune from any consequences of his actions conducted during their Presidency, in perpetuity.

otherlank

Oct 25, 2017
If the President can do whatever he wants, why does White House Counsel exist? Why can Executive Orders be overruled by the Supreme Court? Why can soldiers disobey unlawful orders?

Tackleberry

Oct 31, 2017
Alliance, OH
If the President can do whatever he wants, why does White House Counsel exist? Why can Executive Orders be overruled by the Supreme Court? Why can soldiers disobey unlawful orders?
The ENTIRE point of the United States having a president and NOT a monarch is the ability to hold them accountable!

Judge Henderson on Trump's immunity claim: "I think it's paradoxical to say that his constitutional duty to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed' allows him to violate criminal law."

otherlank

Oct 25, 2017
The ENTIRE point of the United States having a president and NOT a monarch is the ability to hold them accountable!

Judge Henderson on Trump's immunity claim: "I think it's paradoxical to say that his constitutional duty to 'take care that the laws be faithfully executed' allows him to violate criminal law."
They do realize that they are arguing in favor of giving the current president (who is not Donald Trump) immunity to do whatever he wants, including destroying all of their arguments for Biden being a criminal? Bold strategy.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The argument that the president could murder all of his criminal opponents, with the only recourse being an impeachment vote where he could easily murder everyone in the building by bombing it to rubble, is both absurd and frightening to say out loud. This while simultaneously arguing that the president is *not* sworn to uphold the laws of the land, is basically asking to give Trump the same "qualified immunity" that we've given US police, with all of the nightmares that entails.