• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are not big outside of their region. And they are more like messaging clients.
TikTok is global like MySpace/Facebook/Instagram/Snapchat are/were.
WeChat is way more than a messaging client, but I agree with your general take that TikTok is the first Asian app (if you can even call them that) that got serious penetration to the American market.
And like I donno, I don't think it's conspiratorial to say that silicon valley and their lobbying firms are not super exited about this development.

American companies don't like competition. Republican banned Toshiba from the US market in the 80s because Reagan blame them of making stealth subs for the USSR. Like, you couldn't buy a Toshiba deck tape in America for years because some right wing idiots god scared from The Hunt for Red October.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I'm going to teach you a revolutionary way to deal with apps you don't enjoy or trust

Don't use them. Nobody is forcing you to pay any attention to apps if you don't want to

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Suggesting it's a possible threat and recommending people don't use it and banning it all together are two entirely different things and should be seen as such. Also, I never said this was solely about this administrations usual xenophobic attitudes. I said this was a blatant attempt to erode free speech targetting an app that has already been used in a way that aggrivated Trump on a personal level. If you're going to go that far to prevent any American from using the app, you better have proof that it's warranted
If targeting an app that aggravated Trump were the issue, you'd likely see something else banned long before TikTok.

This is drawing from the same national security motivations that led the administration to take action against Huawei and ZTE in 2018. You have to admit that there is a security precedent here and not just "TikTok memes make the orange boomer angry."

Kino

Oct 25, 2017
Embarrassing thread

TikTok is where the whole plan to sabotage the Tulsa rally originated. I feel like he's coming after it just for that.

Caddywompus

Mar 10, 2018
I'm all for it just because I'm curious how the hell he expects to pull this off exactly. Trump says a lot of shit, never holds much weight.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I'm 36 and way too old to have faith in the banning of this energizing the youth vote enough to have a significant impact on the election. I think it will be forgotten in a few weeks. Of course I'll hope I'm wrong and a massive amount of 18-22 year olds or whatever who weren't going out to help us get rid of agent orange now will. Hope I'm wrong but doubt it.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
If targeting an app that aggravated Trump were the issue, you'd likely see something else banned long before TikTok.

This is drawing from the same national security motivations that led the administration to take action against Huawei and ZTE in 2018. You have to admit that there is a security precedent here and not just "TikTok memes make the orange boomer angry."

Would you advocate for the rest of the world to ban social media from America especially when Snowden episode happened?

Social Media shaped the narratives ( truth or fabricated ) of the world after all.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Have you considered that this line of reasoning is why he's targeting Tiktok first and not anything else? Because it gives him an excuse while allowing him to set a precedent?

like I'm sure China would actually love to spy on people in the US and other countries. I do not use Tiktok, and I can get being waryof that on a personal level. I can also understand barring it's use on devices owned by government workers in important positions whose info in particular would be very valuable. Banning it for everyone without really solid evidence is not something we should be cheering on

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to end spyware, write some legislation so that apps are put to a test, like car emissions standards. If they fail, or cheat, like VW did, you make Google/Apple pull the apps, and make the ISPs blackhole the servers and fine them until they come into compliance.

Regulation will protect consumers and make companies compete on a more leveled playing field.

We want standards so that everyone walks up to the same line, and they pass or they fail, and if you're spyware for a foreign government, you fail. What we don't want is the POTUS declaring you spyware.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to end spyware, write some legislation so that apps are put to a test, like car emissions standards. If they fail, or cheat, like VW did, you make Google/Apple pull the apps, and make the ISPs blackhole the servers and fine them until they come into compliance.

Regulation will protect consumers and make companies compete on a more leveled playing field.

We want standards so that everyone walks up to the same line, and they pass or they fail, and if you're spyware for a foreign government, you fail. What we don't want is the POTUS declaring you spyware.
Yep. If spyware is the concern then the laws should apply to all apps equally. Singling one app out specifically like this is incredibly dangerous and I don't see how people here don't understand that

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
We all know that basically every platform/app/social media is selling our info, Trump doesn't seem to care.

Leave the kids alone.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
We all know that basically every platform/app/social media is selling our info, Trump doesn't seem to care.

Leave the kids alone.

I find it hypocritical about Trump talking about how he's "Tough on China" yet he has no problem asking Xi Jinping for help on the upcoming election.

Let's be real, he's only doing this because he's mad about K-Pop stans successfully trolling him on his campaign rally back in Tulsa.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017

Privacy standards? You're crazy. America is about freedom! Well... until some arbitrary subjective and undisclosed (or nefarious) threshold is exceeded of course. THEN they deserve to be censored/banned. /s

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Would you advocate for the rest of the world to ban social media from America especially when Snowden episode happened?

Social Media shaped the narratives ( truth or fabricated ) of the world after all.
If said United States company was as entwined with the ruling political class as Chinese companies frequently are and are blatantly creating their apps with massive security issues, I could see the justification for it.

That tech companies who dominate the industry in America, like Apple, have fought the US government on encryption and access (such as the San Bernadino case), I have slightly - not much, mind you - more faith of independence on the part of American companies than Chinese companies in this comparison.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know how this would even be feasible with apps that constantly talk to the internet and update. It's not as easy to update a car (although it's getting there).

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so out of the loop, what is the reason for the ban? Simply because it's from China?
www.resetera.com

TikTok users are trying to troll Trump's campaign by reserving tickets for Tulsa rally they'll never use

Only a matter of time until Trump goes after TikTok... https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/politics/tiktok-trump-tulsa-rally-trnd/index.html
www.resetera.com

Trump Rally Turnout Was Just Under 6,200–A Fraction Of The Venue’s 19,200 Capacity (UP: His campaign says 12,000)

So close to a million. https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/06/21/turnout-at-trumps-tulsa-rally-was-just-under-6200a-fraction-of-the-venues-19200-capacity/#71443aa41fed Bonus:

And yes, Trump is absolutely that petty.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how this would even be feasible with apps that constantly talk to the internet and update. It's not as easy to update a car (although it's getting there).

People thought the GDPR wouldn't work and it would make Europe an island, but all the major websites adopted the standards and it's basically a non-issue now. Occasionally, Euro posters here complain that a website from a local small-town American newspaper blocks them, but for 99% of sites, they fall into compliance.

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure if there's a precedent for the US government telling Apple and Google to pull apps from their store.
But I'd imagine they would want to push back on this.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Externally managed data centers. Data localization. GDPR touches a lot of this. We can (well... could) work deals to inspect nuclear facilities, I don't see why we can't figure out something regarding data centers.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
www.resetera.com

TikTok users are trying to troll Trump's campaign by reserving tickets for Tulsa rally they'll never use

Only a matter of time until Trump goes after TikTok... https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/politics/tiktok-trump-tulsa-rally-trnd/index.html
www.resetera.com

Trump Rally Turnout Was Just Under 6,200–A Fraction Of The Venue’s 19,200 Capacity (UP: His campaign says 12,000)

So close to a million. https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/06/21/turnout-at-trumps-tulsa-rally-was-just-under-6200a-fraction-of-the-venues-19200-capacity/#71443aa41fed Bonus:

And yes, Trump is absolutely that petty.

I'm death

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
If said United States company was as entwined with the ruling political class as Chinese companies frequently are and are blatantly creating their apps with massive security issues, I could see the justification for it.

That tech companies who dominate the industry in America, like Apple, have fought the US government on encryption and access (such as the San Bernadino case), I have slightly - not much, mind you - more faith of independence on the part of American companies than Chinese companies in this comparison.

I wasn't talking about tech companies but the subset that are the social media ones.

When it comes to security issue, Snowden leaked PRISM programme existence and he's now a fugitive in Russia.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So what reason it is, people making fun of him on it, or is he yelling about data privacy while ignoring google, facebook, twitter, etc?

They nees to put all these assholes on task for selling our data.

To be honest most people on thos forum couldn't give less of a shot about tiktok but yeah, fucking Facebook. They are all monopolies as well.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The American tech industry works with the US government on a bunch of sketchy things (the NSA hasn't developed all of its tech from scratch) and they also lobby the government to do a bunch of things on their behalf, but no one ever talk about American companies like they're "entwined with the ruling political class".

TikTok is not even a Chinese company, they are owned mostly by Chinese, but their headquarter is in LA and most of their engineers are Americans.
I don't think they are all "entwined with the ruling political class" of China.

It's just a software company that make vine because vine was good and twitter killed it because they're idiots and probably nazis.
And now Trump gonna ban it so we can all use instagram video instead. What a great victory for freedom.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It's literally spyware...

But then again, Google and Apple should be able to host what they want.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for real, millenials are the new boomers smh
Sad world that Boomers have been picking on Millenials for so long that Millenials have become just as bad as them for attacking Zoomers.

I say TikTok leans more left than any other social media app, so they're good in my eyes and hopefully it will get more people to vote in November.

johnsmith

Oct 26, 2017
I seriously do not get the reactions from a lot of you.

With all the damage Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube have caused, from radicalizing young men into incels, helping trump get elected, q anon, countless conspiracy theories, on and on, and you're all mad at an app where kids dance.

It makes no damn sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's literally spyware...

But then again, Google and Apple should be able to host what they want.

There is a lot of spyware out there.

Is it just me or do a lot of people on Twitter just hate TikTok? I thought I'd be seeing more closer comment to like ratios but a lot of people want this?

Do they know Facebook spies on your ass as well?

Pink Tape

Oct 25, 2017
Red Velvet's cookie jar
Tik Tok has a lot of problems and should be criticized for them but reading some of the takes in here makes it clear why gen z calls everyone born before them a boomer

JJGbHjoikk32HRI8iOsfa3nZc8rB7_iQSj1PU18hEFmJobPNUIs88t4i87LsKeBasrB-CJl0ye1x4WvUA-bOiveZCcD0fgCNDO38JsjAJlq8aDtZSLJlmDOAlOoBp-KbgcU_Z3JDy7yv3S7AiE85p5YNDMiVK32w-DQcj78SKJ-VD3Qhw60H2lSPEVRKmEG_McA5mjVFkBBl1ABlJQEMK5mrsUgF4zmxRjYPe6-OjdgBO-_VmN6B6ATlEtT6kg_nd6ldxsAfP52Y4PW5KdtuAlluKCXzkMoLwLts3GreOtghZqfdYnC8BaqEs565dyicBgnWYhD3CzbN-WEq5HpyAZi1yCxJlCQCO4rh6PVG37HXyhHzFjK2cO1-3RzwHg5CZwQlfSnmB8dSZK2dnzYmo9T_BiEMtAACQ1gmtcLyO7opq_sSJMIlu_o-58dZTtxSTg5B_rTX2uE4KFGogOYCzC0FmeWixz-AscQBtbXO9Kz729dZQI6WkZbHADkecT2E7IzAnQIXSdKy5rWFK4DhwdHtZkDfrBQsDyK59NuCW1CKJeahXre_YBKhME1MvrGE2tl8ovxf1ImaSPKz7E4yMMPG5UMlXBdkwzUEDDIbxajEbRjlorIz1dc6KKqMluAR-2olhUCp6MOMomgR7Ol_dLuvAFJJMNDl2QfATirzxolaURBFpJMfXWf9LyDQ=w190-h196-no

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Sad world that Boomers have been picking on Millenials for so long that Millenials have become just as bad as them for attacking Zoomers.

I say TikTok leans more left than any other social media app, so they're good in my eyes and hopefully it will get more people to vote in November.

It's probably another thread but I do begin to wonder if large gens are just inherently tyrannical

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also wtf Republicans crying about censorship when they're the ones trying to do just that, people don't see the bigger picture.

- Can't do anything about guns, nothing on police brutality, nothing about the Covid Deaths or the people struggling to survive each day without money..... But TikTok and China. . .

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
WeChat is way more than a messaging client, but I agree with your general take that TikTok is the first Asian app (if you can even call them that) that got serious penetration to the American market.
And like I donno, I don't think it's conspiratorial to say that silicon valley and their lobbying firms are not super exited about this development.

American companies don't like competition. Republican banned Toshiba from the US market in the 80s because Reagan blame them of making stealth subs for the USSR. Like, you couldn't buy a Toshiba deck tape in America for years because some right wing idiots god scared from The Hunt for Red October.

Was it ever this bad though? Honestly, I am starting to hear drums. Even if Biden wins.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't India ban Tiktok earliar this month due to concerns of spyware? Mostly just to get back at China bit that's what they said.
And what a great victory for freedom it was.

www.cnn.com

Instagram pounces on India market after TikTok is banned

It's been a difficult week for TikTok — and Instagram just made it much harder.

Facebook, a company famous for never having any privacy or security concerns.
But hey, as long as they're Americans.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of this. The government being able to just up and ban social media apps like this is bad especially when social media is how a lot of times these days protesters organize and how we can get a glimpse of things outside of the curated bullshit that the news media wants to sell us. i.e. The BLM protests and how much of a goddamn failure the news media was at covering it.

Social media is important.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Millenials in this thread really trying to deny they spent hours on things like YTMND, New Grounds, and Vine.

TikTok is a great time waster and a decent successor to Vine after Twitter murdered it.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I will really miss black people reacting to white people telling everyone about racism.