Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I'm not sure the wording on this means it will actually affect Tencent outside of TikTok. Having said that both sides of the aisle support this and not just Trump. So good luck with all of this.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Yo, Barron Trump is our only savior now. Hoping that zoomer plays Fortnite or LoL and can talk some sense to his dad.

...what a time to be alive.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's a petty thing to do but at least it's being done, are people willing to let 1 million Uyghurs die as long as it means that they can continue to play Fortnite and League?
I mean the action does nothing about that, it's just basically him trying to formally say he can punish companies because they were mean to him while he's the president.

Like this feels like a really shitty trade that you're not getting much out of that would be mocked on twitter as such if it was something the Democrats were considering instead of it being Donald Trump's latest yugest idea to try getting voters again. (Because this is basically just him slamming on the "REMIND PEOPLE CHINA BAD" button again since "maybe actually do something about COVID" is completely unacceptable to him)

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the action does nothing about that, it's just basically him trying to formally say he can punish companies because they were mean to him while he's the president.

Like this feels like a really shitty trade that you're not getting much out of that would be mocked on twitter as such if it was something the Democrats were considering.

It's more about putting economic pressure in general, which is what we should be doing in the first place.

I agree that he's doing it due to him being a baby, but whatever hurts the CCP is good.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens, for all we know this won't be enforced and it'll be business as usual. With people dying overseas while we try to not think about it and play our games.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm betting nothing comes of this, but even if it does, I'm guessing only companies that are majority owned by Tencent will be effected, and even then maybe not unless they've wholly owned.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
Trump might end up getting re-elected on anti-China sentiment alone.
677.jpg

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
I'm not american, but can this be that old tacit of grew a sentiment against a enemy (that case China) to grow his own support to get re-elect?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe if this really impacts gaming, all the alt right gamer douchebags will actually notice Trump is garbage and vote against him this time. Sad that it would take videogames to get them to care though.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
It's more about putting economic pressure in general, which is what we should be doing in the first place.
I mean that's going require an actual, consistent effort you're going need to get the rest of the world to sign on and it's gonna be really hard to do that when the pretext for it is very obviously trump throwing a tantrum about it.

Again, this just seems like a really shitty trade you're getting barely nothing in exchange for.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What about NetEase? Bungie had a 100m deal with them to make a new franchise IIRC. I could see those business relations screwing up for political reasons when the nation bans Tencent. This is a mess.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not american, but can this be that old tacit of grew a sentiment against a enemy (that case China) to grow his own support to get re-elect?

It is something he has tried before, but backfired in the past because it inconveniences people in the US (like the trade war). This executive order being enforced in its most literal reading will very much make a lot of consumers upset, and not at China.

Todesritter74

Oct 30, 2017
So does China retaliate with reciprocal prohibitions against Microsoft, Apple, or Valve?

Let's face it, if this doesn't slowly fade away in the next few days, lawyers will hold it up in court until after the election to see what really needs to be done (if anything).

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it's badly worded (Par for the course) but the alternative of letting China slowly controlling everything isn't the best idea.

I will remind people that they are literally currently doing their own Holocaust, LITERALLY at this very second.

I know I know, capitalism means money/entertainment >>>>>> human lives and people here are okay with that, but we should wait and see what comes out in the following days and what is specified.
If this move was because of the human rights atrocities then I'd be fully behind it. Pretty sure it will be more to do with his ego.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Tencent really probably has way too much influence in the video game industry right now, but this entire thing seems pretty haphazard and poorly thought through (so run of the mill for this administration).

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Means Consoles are going to up the price because China is going to retaliate with taxes and fees and increase everything that is made in China, Technology is what gets a price increase

BDGAME

Oct 27, 2017
Brasília
It is something he has tried before, but backfired in the past because it inconveniences people in the US (like the trade war). This executive order being enforced in its most literal reading will very much make a lot of consumers upset, and not at China.
Hope for that. If Trump is re-elect with that, probably my country will suffer big loses with it.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
No those people would just move on to develop something else
How? Tencent has a stake in Activision-Blizzard, not WoW. This would affect their entire company. If they have to shut down the golden goose I doubt they are going to keep all of those employees around to wait for Tencent to be allowed again.