• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
President Donald Trump on Monday said he's looking at hosting the next G7 at his Trump National Doral Miami Golf Resort, which could raise major ethical and constitutional issues.

Trump said the hotel, which has reportedly been struggling financially due to the president's tarnished brand, is a strong contender for the summit due to how close it is to the airport (it's a roughly 20-25 minute drive).

"They love the location of the hotel," Trump said during a bilateral meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel at the G7 in France.

"We haven't found anything that's even close to competing with it," Trump added. "Really you can be there in a matter of minutes after you land."

Oct 27, 2017
Ah yes, the strategy of hosting important meetings in his properties, then jacking up the prices during that period to profit even more from it. Of course his supporters are too stupid to see this is clearly him just trying to further line his pockets

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
At this point he probably rightly thinks that whatever is constitutional is whether or not the Supreme Court will side with him. Triply so if Ginsburg is replaced, which is probably likelier the more times she is at the hospital.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
This is nothing new, he has been in violation of the emoluments clause since like Day 1 of his presidency. No one cares to do anything.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Haven't they gotten away with his businesses get all sorts of diplomatic clientele and access to the president? This won't change a thing

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Nothing is going to happen.

..directly... into...her...han...d.....s....

ShyAgileAffenpinscher-max-1mb.gif

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

Pres Trump says he won't make any money by hosting next G7 at his Doral country club in Miami. Says its conveniently located minutes from Miami Airport and has luxurious accomodation for all the G7 delegations. "I'm not going to make any money. I dont care about making money."

11:20 AM - Aug 26, 2019

Deleted member 10908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if hes going to invite Putin and Kim Jong Un since he can invite additional people as the host of the G7

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
But I just heard him say at the press conference that hes lost like 3 billion dollar's by being president and not a private citizen.

/s

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be late summer 2020... I wonder whether his campaign will let him so publicly take the risk of trying to enrich himself via his position. It's been a central theme of his administration, but that will be only ~8 weeks or so before the election.

Also the constitutional element of this doesn't matter. Trump has very obviously violated the emoluments clause hundreds and thousands of times over the last 3 years. It doesn't matter. It's very publicly obvious that people looking for favors from the Trump Administration are staying at Trump properties to curry favor, and receiving favorable treatment.

ProPublica has a very prominent series about it, but it doesn't matter

real2

Jan 31, 2019
the GOP have their heads in the sand so they won't hold him accountable.

Fucking traitors

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
His supporters don't care if he profits from his presidency. Just like they don't care about his racist remarks or his misogyny.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

Pres Trump says he won't make any money by hosting next G7 at his Doral country club in Miami. Says its conveniently located minutes from Miami Airport and has luxurious accomodation for all the G7 delegations. "I'm not going to make any money. I dont care about making money."

11:20 AM - Aug 26, 2019

"I don't care about making money" might be the funniest thing he's ever said in his life.

I can't even read that without snickering every time.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Only violates the constitution if there were people leading the Senate and Congress who gave a shit. And unfortunately, both are run by people who beleive trump is above the law.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I can see it happening and I can see no one stopping it or punishing him for it because that's basically been the status quo for all the decisions made by his administration.