jay

Oct 25, 2017
I wish more racists were brave enough to publicly admit that they're racists.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
stars rain sun moon​
(and only the racist can begin to explain​
how children are apt to memorize the hate​
with up so floating many yells down)​

one day anyone died i guess​
(and no one stooped to spit on his face)​
busy folk ignored it, side by side​
little by little and was by was​
all by all and deep by deep​
and more by more it trampled their sleep​
noone and anyone flailed by april​
wish by spirit and if by death.​
women and men(both dong and ding)​
summer autumn winter spring​
reaped their sowing and went their came​
sun moon stars rain​
th

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Of course racist snowflakes can't take being told the truth. Their imbecility and lack of self awareness is astounding.

Oct 28, 2017
How is putting your country first and stopping immigrants from coming into your country and draining resources racist? /trump supporters

nded

Nov 14, 2017
And we're all tired of having to call trump supporters out for being racists who support a racist. No one's saying this because it's fun.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Do they not realise they are racists? I can't work out if they are too dumb to realise that treating someone different because they are brown makes them racist, or if they realise it but want to make the stupid fucks following them feel victimised because they are a bunch of moronic assholes.

There are a significant amount of white people who think the only form of racism is being a KKK member wanting to hang blacks from a noose. They ignore their own explicit biases and prejudices and use the fact that they're friendly with a black neighbor or black coworker to assure themselves they aren't racist.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
As has been said in this thread, "racist" has an unambiguously negative, unflattering connotation, which is why even people like Richard Spencer (and David Duke too, I guess; I don't keep up with what he says, but presumably) who is most definitely a racist/neo-nazi, and very conscious of that fact, opt to use more flattering language.

In the case of Spencer, he's pretty adamant about using "white nationalist" instead of the more negative "white supremacist", or the very negative and blunt "racist". This isn't just a vanity thing, but a re-branding attempt with the goal (stated by him, in fact) to making these views more palatable to a wider group of people.

Much of the alt-right operate like this: swapping words, insisting on language that ostensibly "mean the same thing as racist" but helps create a perception that there is a meaningful difference between a white nationalist, a white supremacist, a race-realist, a race-skeptic, a diversity-cultural critic, etc, when there actually isn't.

It's a way to enact change through language, and it's actually pretty successful. CNN asked Beto if he thought Trump was a white nationalist, not if he was a white supremacist, or - the much accurate term - a racist. It's sorta disappointing to see US media essentially playing along with, and playing into the PR-rebranding effort that people like Richard Spencer are actively doing.

I guess their thinking is "accusing someone of being racist" is politically charged, whereas using softer language like "do you think X is a white nationalist?" isn't, and I can sorta understand that thinking from an editorial/media-company point of view.

But using this softer language is also forwarding a form of politics, and when almost no big media-brands are willing to "call a spade a spade", and instead needlessly beat around the bush, you have to ask yourself what interests are being served here.

I don't think companies like CNN are consciously trying to peddle Richard Spencers language-rebranding-effort, but they might be doing so in practice, and what happens "in practice" is ultimately all that matters.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As has been said in this thread, "racist" has an unambiguously negative, unflattering connotation, which is why even people like Richard Spencer (and David Duke too, I guess; I don't keep up with what he says, but presumably) who is most definitely racist/neo-nazi, and very conscious of that fact, opt to use more flattering language.
Aka, the right is engaging in political correctness. Fancy that!

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Tough shit. I am still going to call each and every Trump supporter a racist. Because if his rhetoric is ok with you then that is what you are.

Oct 26, 2017
White people largely don't have any firsthand experience of what it's like for your skin color to automatically dictate substandard life outcomes by default. It's simply unfathomable to them. So they try to approximate their experiences with those of black and brown people without accounting for the mounds of sociopolitical context that differentiates them from non-whites.

"Calling a black person a nigger hurts their feelings. Calling me a racist hurts mine. Ergo, racist is a slur."

That's the largest logical leap they can take.

Subsequently the inability to detect racism on any meaningful level means they rationally default to the notion that racism is a phenomenon of conscious malice, because that's the only time they can actually see it. Anything that doesn't pass their sniff test then is a lie cooked up by liberals.

That's the Great Irony: the people least equipped to understand racism are the ones who have come to define it.

Well I can tell you that a lot of white people "feel" they have experienced institutional prejudice as well because they didn't get a scholarship or even accepted into a college because of their skin color or feel they didn't get a job/promotion because of their white skin color. In fact a lot of people I know this was their first encounter with "us vs them" or immigration is a problem type language and for some they took that as a truth to completely misplace the blame. To them no one is racist except for the most overt, because the system marginalizes us all by trying to replace us with them and even view social safety nets as pulling up the lazy and less worthy among us to overtake them, on their tax dollars no less 🙄. So this has given white people a misguided idea of what institutional prejudice/racism is as well and that everyone else should get over their own experiences with it, because they were able to "get over it". Not recognizing that their white skin color grants them that privilege to "get over it" and that for others the issues they are facing didn't begin and end with college and/or getting a job.

Orin_linwe

Nov 26, 2017
Malmoe, Sweden.
Aka, the right is engaging in political correctness. Fancy that!

I guess, though my take on political correctness is that it's generally understood as an attempt to be more inclusive, more transparent, and inter-personally respectful (which is why it can also come across as socially clumsy and unnecessarily wordy sometimes).

This is almost more like a form of "culture jamming", where you intentionally smuggle ill-intentions by dressing them up, and the main reason you dress things up is that it tends to provide plausible deniability if called out.

"You're not a racist, you're just a race-skeptic. What on earth can that mean? Oh, I dunno. Let's engage in some good-natured debate."

It's superficially like political correctness, but I'd say it's more accurately like a complete perversion of political correctness. You're not going out of your way to be more clear about your (good) intentions, you're going out of your way to mask your (bad) intentions.

(though If you want to argue that all political correctness is essentially a form of lying, then that's a whole other thing and topic).

Last edited:

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't understand why unapologetically racist people hate being called racist.
Because even they understand that being racist is wrong but dont want to change who they are.

These people are either racist, arent willing to listen to outside perspectives informing them of why their actions are racist or will listen but make no effort to change because ultimately they agree with what they are saying and dont see the point in changing because they dont 'mean anything racist' by it.

My mum who is in her 70's falls victim to this type of thinking from reading our shitty British papers and will bring up stuff she disagrees with to me knowing that i am one of the most left wing people around (THE most for her especially) and will challenge her every time to the point it makes things awkward.

She complains about 'the Chinese' and their horrible treatment of animals (especially big cats) so I always point out that while yes it is horrible, they way the west treats cows/pigs/Sheep etc is just as bad and that as a vegetarian she is as much a part of the problem to me as they are to her.

The other day she complained about snowflakes (a word she has only just become aware of through the papers) and the words and terms you can no longer use and how stupid it is. So i asked her for an example and she said "You cant even call them manholes anymore". Knowing nothing about this specific example but being pretty clued up in this stuff i said i assumed it was because it was enforcing gender stereotypes in making it seem only men can be workers who need to go down them.

She instantly said "Oh, I hadnt thought of that" and then we had a nice conversation about how society helps enforce gender stereotypes and that even small things can have big impacts in how people view the world. She also gave examples of how when she was a child she always wanted to play the boys sports but was forced into the girls section and how it wasnt fair.

Of course as much as it might seem we have made progress, im sure i will still get to hear about something for her to complain about the next time i see her.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
They don't think they're racist and never will, regardless of how much you point out their actions. In their world they're being labeled racists for not being liberal enough, and it pushes them to be worse. That's the sad reality of it.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been an interview with someone like that where they give their own definition of racism? I'd love to hear what line they haven't crossed between their behavior and their perception of racism.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, just maybe, stop doing racist ass shit and supporting racist ass people and then maybe, just maybe, people will stop calling you guys racists.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
They hate being called racist because they don't want to think the hate they feel is actually a problem.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has there been an interview with someone like that where they give their own definition of racism? I'd love to hear what line they haven't crossed between their behavior and their perception of racism.
It's typically I didn't call a black man a nigger so I couldn't possibly be racist. The simplest, most basic form of racism. Ignoring everything else.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Almost no racists think they are racists.

They think they're just expressing facts, it's not racist to speak the truth!

With the important caveat in that they're frequently not facts - or at the least, facts without critical context - but their racism makes them believe the narrative they outline.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Why is it so difficult to understand that supporting a racist guy makes you racist? Are they playing dumb?

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, but presumably they only recognize racism when it's blatant, overt, and direct. They're unlikely to recognize racism in terms of historical economic impact, prison system, etc.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure they don't. I don't like my blackness making me a target for the violent bigots Trump supporters ignore and encourage in their ranks so I guess we're fucking even until something changes.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Anti-vaxers don't want to be labeled anti-science, but it's not like news outlets pump out articles about them being offended by it.

We need to start treating these "I'm not a racist" MAGA assholes like flat earthers, ancient alien advocates, and 9/11 truthers.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
What is it about them being called a racist that throws them into a hissy fit?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
It's probably more accurate to call them fascists. They hate LGBT people just as much.

This. Racists is just some part of the white nationalism; naturally not everyone fits under that.

But they sure as shit hate gays, women's rights, and trans people. Fascists fits more generally for these degenerates, unless we just want to call them degenerates.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Then guess what? You are a fucking racist you dumbass. Republican = Racist. If you support racism then guess what? You are a racist. There is no wiggle room there. There is no debate to be had. That's all she wrote.
I disagree somewhat to this. I'm sure they are non racist people that support Trump for other reasons. They can't all be racist.

It's kind of like being against child sweat shops but still buying a pair of Nikes every year.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well then do not be racist, sexist, misogynist etc. Problem solved. It hurts to get called out doesn't it.

The issue for people who support open racists and fascists while not technically being racist themselves, is that they're okay with racists and fascists having power to hurt people.

So you claim you're not racist. But you're okay with racism if it benefits you. You're okay with kids in cages, women enslaved to a male-directed theocracy, minorities persecuted, LGBT persons oppressed into closets... if you get a tax break or something?

That kind of supremely amoral self-interest is closer to being a sociopath.

So... not racist, just sociopathic?

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
For most of these people I don't think it's any more deep than this logic chain:

1) being a racist is bad and dishonest
2) i'm a good and honest person
3) therefore I can't be racist

That's it. They can be racist shitbirds in a ton of different ways and none of them count because fundamentally they think they're good people and therefore can't be the bad thing. Hell, i've seen some of these morons do a "I'm not racist but..." and proceed to say something about lazy N words. And they don't seem to compute that it's racist as hell because in their mind they're good people speaking the truth. And it's sincere! The amount of people who are self-aware racists is pretty small compared to the amount of people who are racists.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a drug.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree somewhat to this. I'm sure they are non racist people that support Trump for other reasons. They can't all be racist.

It's kind of like being against child sweat shops but still buying a pair of Nikes every year.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you support a racist, you're a racist.

Honestly, what other possible reason would anyone support trump where the base of what he promises to do isn't centered around racism? His immigration platform? "Mexicans are sending rapists." His job platform? "China is stealing our jobs!" His foreign policy agenda? "Shithole countries!" His relationship with non whites? "Can we card Muslims, I don't want a Mexican judge, and go back to where you came from." On white supremacists? "Good people on both sides!" His views on women? "Grab them by the pussy!"

I mean the guy is a well rounded racist and bigot. His whole political agenda from top to bottom is based around that. Whatever it is someone might like about Trump's platform, chances are great that they're based around racism and bigotry.

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
These people know they're racist and are happy being racist, but don't like being called out on it. Same as pedophiles.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Well even if you don't feel you are racist you are in fact supporting racists which in turn would make you....... racist.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
These are people who clearly struggle to identify what is and is not factually true, and have fallen for moronic propaganda. Of course they'll believe they aren't racist - their brains can't process it and they just think they're saying or cheering things that are 'true'. They are locked in to going with the group/cult, and what makes them feel good, and will swallow whatever flimsy shit the ringleaders spew out.