• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
eHEBEe8bJMcURaWarSU3x-970-80.jpg.webp

TSMC has confirmed its 3nm production node is on track for full mass production in the second half of 2022, according to Chinese tech site ItHome (in Chinese). TSMC reckons its 3nm node will pack in somewhere north of 250 million transistors per square millimetre of silicon, making it at least two and half times more dense than Intel's latest 10nm node. In theory, TSMC's 3nm tech could enable a GPU three times more complex than AMD's new Radeon RX 6000 Series chips

TSMC, of course, makes all of AMD's high performance Ryzen CPUs and Radeon GPUs. Until recently, it also produced Nvidia's top graphics chips, too. Advances like TSMC 3nm tech matter because they allow for more complex, faster computer chips. Like, you know, CPUs and GPUs.

But just think about it. AMD's Navi 21 GPU, the chip inside the Radeon 6800 and 6900 Series boards, clocks in just under 27 billion transistors using 7nm. So a 3nm GPU of the same size could pack around 80 billion transistors if they really pushed it.

More at
Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/tsmc-confir...could-enable-epic-80-billion-transistor-gpus/

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
just when i have plans to upgrade my current PC next year. now i don't know about waiting even more or doing a second upgrade in 5-6 years.

Oct 25, 2017
While these numbers are great, let's not forget that not everything in chips are transistors. Logic takes a huge chunk of that and doesn't scale the same as transistors. It isn't simple as this "3nm GPU = 80 billion transistors". It will be quite less than that.

Akabeko

Oct 27, 2017
just when i have plans to upgrade my current PC next year. now i don't know about waiting even more or doing a second upgrade in 5-6 years.
The first year of production will most likely be almost entirely gobbled up by Apple so I wouldn't let this news dissuade you from upgrading.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
TSMC numbers are marketing, so this would be, based on history, equivalent to a theoretical Intel 5nm process.

Leakage is gonna be a pain at this sizes

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think now's a really good time to upgrade. DDR5 is still a little ways off, and first gen cpu/mobos probably won't be mature right off the bat; raytracing has been around for a while, so the 3000 series GPUs give good support.

Basically, anything on the horizon will probably mean a completely different set of architectures that will be overpriced and underperforming.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
what happens when we cant get any smaller? serious question

Chips will still be made, some progress may be made in other areas, but the jump in performance wont be as large. For example, Intel 14nm processors may be an indicator of what that may look like.

Edit: As Ekim indicated. I also assume this is decades off and that there is still scaling on the roadmaps. Another point, 3nm, 2nm etc is not the size of the components on the chip, that's marketing stuff.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
oh no no i mean what happens after 1nm? and then 0.5nm? or whatever? what happens when we hit limits? is this actually something that will happen?

I mean you can still have performance gains of 30% or higher on the same process node. My guess is the longer the nodes stagnate the more performance they'll keep squeezing out of the tech with architectural improvements. For a few years it won't make much of a difference and from there on out it's going to be all about proprietary tech and feature sets.

Oct 25, 2017
thanks for replies guys! i find this all fascinating. reaching limits etc. when that happens will that be like a once in a lifetime kind of breakthrough? ie "quantum computing"?

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
oh no no i mean what happens after 1nm? and then 0.5nm? or whatever? what happens when we hit limits? is this actually something that will happen?

Lol. Honest answer? We're pretty fucked right now. Diamond or other carbon replacements for silicon never panned out so we've been doping silicon and stretching things as much as we can, at enormous monetary cost.

We're getting massacred by thermal limits and almost every single foundry has floundered and gone out of business before reaching single digit nm. The only exceptions are TSMC and Samsung. And Samsung lags far behind.

There is talk about 3D chips but the thermals are just terrible for them. Really terrible. We have a hard enough time cooling a "2D" chip now. Spitballing? Cooling a 3D one will require hundreds or thousands of pipes within the chip, using some sort of next-gen fluid-like cooling that is one order of magnitude better than what we have now, to make up for the order of magnitude increase in heat.

We were supposed to have ditched silicon and blasted through the 10 Ghz barrier by 2020. What happened?

Welp, blame yourself or God, I guess, as Delita would say.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing makes me feel quite so much like we're living in some incredible sci-fi future like hearing how many millions of transistors we can cram into a square millimeter to produce a common, everyday consumer product. Just unfathomably small scales at extremely high complexity.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing makes me feel quite so much like we're living in some incredible sci-fi future like hearing how many millions of transistors we can cram into a square millimeter to produce a common, everyday consumer product. Just unfathomably small scales at extremely high complexity.

The EUV machines that etch the chips seemed more impressive than the chips themselves. Posted already, but it's still insane 6m - 6:49:

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My personal takeaway from this is that Intel is in some serious trouble , their 10nm update will only catch them up to the competitions 7nm at best and with all the delays it also won't be ready until this 3nm stuff is pretty much landing. They need an engineering miracle and I hope they find it just to continue being competitive.

caiocmsouza

Jan 31, 2018
eHEBEe8bJMcURaWarSU3x-970-80.jpg.webp

TSMC has confirmed its 3nm production node is on track for full mass production in the second half of 2022, according to Chinese tech site ItHome (in Chinese). TSMC reckons its 3nm node will pack in somewhere north of 250 million transistors per square millimetre of silicon, making it at least two and half times more dense than Intel's latest 10nm node. In theory, TSMC's 3nm tech could enable a GPU three times more complex than AMD's new Radeon RX 6000 Series chips

TSMC, of course, makes all of AMD's high performance Ryzen CPUs and Radeon GPUs. Until recently, it also produced Nvidia's top graphics chips, too. Advances like TSMC 3nm tech matter because they allow for more complex, faster computer chips. Like, you know, CPUs and GPUs.

But just think about it. AMD's Navi 21 GPU, the chip inside the Radeon 6800 and 6900 Series boards, clocks in just under 27 billion transistors using 7nm. So a 3nm GPU of the same size could pack around 80 billion transistors if they really pushed it.

More at
Source: https://www.pcgamer.com/tsmc-confir...could-enable-epic-80-billion-transistor-gpus/

RDNA 3 and Zen 4 in 2022, hype!!!

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Can these even run faster than 7nm? I though heat was a massive issue smaller than 7nm.

The main issue from what I could gather was that the chips were too thin to contain logic gates. After a certain size the electrical currents jump past logic gates which give the CPUs an inaccuracy. The new crazy shit they have to build the dies is why they can go under 5nm, which was previously a theoretical limit. They use stuff that's measured in picometers (1/1000 of a nanometer)

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you can still have performance gains of 30% or higher on the same process node. My guess is the longer the nodes stagnate the more performance they'll keep squeezing out of the tech with architectural improvements. For a few years it won't make much of a difference and from there on out it's going to be all about proprietary tech and feature sets.

This is the problem Intel has been stuck with. Jim Keller has some interesting quotes about this. How it's good until it's not... and then you're in deep trouble (current Intel).

On a related note, I had no idea until recently that Jim Keller abruptly resigned from Intel during the summer. The reset thread was like 8 posts long. Was probably posted in the middle of the night and dead and buried by the time I checked.

sifi36

May 28, 2020
Thanks for the info. Just came across this post in another thread. Do we know if Q4 for AMD is Jan-Mar or Oct-Dec?

For both AMD and TSMC, Q4 would be October to December. Therefore these chips are most likely for January to March shipments. One would think there is some correlation between these numbers and shipments this holiday, maybe even a wider split if Microsoft started manufacturing later.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
For both AMD and TSMC, Q4 would be October to December. Therefore these chips are most likely for January to March shipments. One would think there is some correlation between these numbers and shipments this holiday, maybe even a wider split if Microsoft started manufacturing later.

Appreciate the response. With starting later I would think MS would then increase it's orders for Q4 to make up for the later start early next year.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I'm all about that 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oct 27, 2017
My hope would be for a 3nm PS5 slim in 2023 at $299 or $349 that's almost half or 30% smaller than the launch unit.

I assume 3nm would also enable them to shrink the fan, case, motherboard (with less ram chips too), PSU, heat sink, etc

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
These guys are wizards, soon they'll be making the worlds chips. Pretty much every hot device this Christmas is being bottlenecked by their supply.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
well we still possibly have graphene to let us down
I remember graphene being a hot topic when I was in engineering school circa 2000. I wonder if I'll be retired by the time it actually impacts any industry. That and wondering if the battery breakthrough happens before or after I retire.

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly question if 3nm can get systems to be so cheap
I imagine at worst a 3nm APU in 2023 would cost console makers the same as today's 7nm models just because I doubt they agreed to a fixed rate that includes a price hike.

So if it costs Sony $120 per APU today, at worst $120 in 2023 on 3nm. But I also think a smaller case, smaller heatsink, smaller fan, smaller motherboard, less RAM Chips (like say 4 4GB instead of 8x2GB), cheaper SSD prices due to wider adoption can shave a good amount off too. Enough for $300? Idk I assume they will hit $299 pricing if only for digital model because they clearly wanted to hit $399 with digital model.

But who Knows I'm not right on these things often

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine at worst a 3nm APU in 2023 would cost console makers the same as today's 7nm models just because I doubt they agreed to a fixed rate that includes a price hike.

So if it costs Sony $120 per APU today, at worst $120 in 2023 on 3nm. But I also think a smaller case, smaller heatsink, smaller fan, smaller motherboard, less RAM Chips (like say 4 4GB instead of 8x2GB), cheaper SSD prices due to wider adoption can shave a good amount off too. Enough for $300? Idk I assume they will hit $299 pricing if only for digital model because they clearly wanted to hit $399 with digital model.

But who Knows I'm not right on these things often
wouldn't less chips affect bandwidth?