Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
9rbxlhC.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, MacOS, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, PlayStation 4, PlayStation5, Nintendo Switch
Release Date:
March 16th, 2022​
(PlayStation, Switch) September 27th, 2022​
Genre: Adventure
Price: 29.99USD/£24.99
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital
Developer: Isometricorp Games
Publisher: Finji
File Size: ~4GB

*TUNIC is a game about uncovering secrets, reminder to please mark any spoilers!*

oPQUEf9.png

What is TUNIC?
Explore a land filled with lost legends, ancient powers, and ferocious monsters in TUNIC, an isometric action game about a small fox on a big adventure.

Is this like Zelda or is this like Dark Souls?
Tunic is certainly styled after the original Legend of Zelda in how it gives you little direction and wants you to discover how the world works through experimentation and deciphering the in-game manual. There is a focus on challenging combat, returning to spots where you were defeated, restorative shrines you can rest at, and unlocking new passageways/shortcuts so there are influences from FromSoftware's titles as well.

How long is the game?
Pre-release comments point to a 8-10 or so hour length—with that extending or shortening depending on how much time you spend on combat encounters and the secrets you choose to uncover. Press reviews pointed to some playtimes in the 20 hour range.

Is there a map?
Not a traditional one—you will acquire various maps in the manual pages that you find throughout the world.

Are there puzzles?
Yes, but not many (if any) are traditional block pushing puzzles. You can an example of one in the TUNIC demo from 2021 where the player would use screenshots in the in-game manual to decipher a way to unlock a secret area.

What happens when I die?
You lose some of your currency and are revived at the last shrine you rested at. Returning to where you were felled will allow you to recover your lost resources.

Are there difficulty options?
TUNIC does not have selectable difficulty options that rebalance the game but, as mentioned in this taminggaming article, does offer a "No Fail" mode that prevents character death and an option to reduce the amount of stamina used by attacking/dodging.

Xbox Game Pass?
Confirmed on the moment of release, TUNIC is launching into Game Pass on PC and Xbox platforms.

How does the game perform on console?
Xbox One1920x1080 at 30fps
Xbox One X1920x1080 at 60fps
Xbox Series S1920x1080 at 60fps
Xbox Series X3840x2160 at 60fps
PlayStation 4TBA
PlayStation 5TBA
Nintendo SwitchTBA on specifics, but the game is confirmed to target 30fps.

Switch or PlayStation release?
Yes, TUNIC is launching for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on September 27th, 2022.

Ultrawide support?
Not officially, the world is built around a 16x9 design (that something could be just on the cusp of your view but unable to be seen from your current location) so TUNIC is limited to that perspective.

Physical release?
Nothing has been announced at the time of writing this thread.

What time does the game release on March 16th?
TUNIC is going to be featured in a ID@Xbox Twitch showcase at 10am PT/1pm ET/5pm GMT on the 16th so it'd be fair to assume around that time at the latest. The Steam release countdown also looks to end around that showcase's airing.

Steam Deck Support?
TUNIC is a 'verified' title for the Steam Deck.

bzoW94X.png

ss_260662fe9276ed7ffdd95c07891fb4dc0e6a0b6b.600x338.jpg
ss_1ff04f3863a782037ca39d5d416459fbaeefd3a4.600x338.jpg

ss_04ac7db623d3e88751134eb87f5c465c392fa108.600x338.jpg
ss_9c0184ba83022786f74f4a70ebae5c47d2a3c35c.600x338.jpg

IIpzeN6.png

Review Thread

Opencritic
Metacritic
XB1 | XBS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | Switch

GameInformer - 9.75
I was constantly veering off from the main quest to track something down or look into a newly discovered path, and so it took me about 20 hours to roll credits. Despite that, I know there's still a lot for me to do in the game, and I'm excited to go back in to find every secret and experience everything its aesthetically striking world has to offer. Tunic is a stunning achievement that manages to embody the best of nostalgia while being completely refreshing. It's absolutely a must-play gem.

Wccftech - 8/10
Tunic is a charming, absorbing adventure that recaptures the feel of the original The Legend of Zelda better than almost any other game out there (including some of Nintendo's own efforts). The game's enigmatic nature won't be for everyone and a late-game difficulty spike may frustrate even old-school fans, but overall, Tunic is a successful link to the past.

Windows Central - 4.5/5
Tunic is an absolutely delightful game to slink away to for a few hours to explore, discover, and conquer. Solving puzzles and uncovering the myriad of hidden secrets can make for a calming adventure, but there's always the potential for an exhilarating moment of victory after a particularly difficult boss.

AjyepHn.png

Official Site

xgIUIr8.gif

Last edited:
Xbox Spring Games Showcase
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Also worth noting that TUNIC is included in the Xbox Spring Games Showcase where you can get *5000 MS points for spending *$50.
news.xbox.com

Spring Games Spotlight 2022 – Over 40 New Games Coming to Xbox - Xbox Wire

Most people have associated gaming in 2022 with the epic February we just had. The thing is, March is looking to be, dare I say, just as good (if not better)! To celebrate all the amazing new content coming to Xbox this spring, our team has curated our new releases into the Spring Games...

*Varies based on local currency.

Last edited:

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the awesome OT! I'm so looking forward to seeing how it turned out and playing it!

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Also worth noting that TUNIC is included in the Xbox Spring Games Showcase where you can get *5000 MS points for spending *$50
news.xbox.com

Spring Games Spotlight 2022 – Over 40 New Games Coming to Xbox - Xbox Wire

Most people have associated gaming in 2022 with the epic February we just had. The thing is, March is looking to be, dare I say, just as good (if not better)! To celebrate all the amazing new content coming to Xbox this spring, our team has curated our new releases into the Spring Games...

*Varies based on local currency.
Didn't know about this, thank you!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Have been waiting for this game for ages, the demo was great.
I'm surprised it's not on gamepass though, given how much Xbox marketing it has had.

I hope it sells well. A lot of the souls crowd are still going to be on elden ring.

Last edited:

panama chief

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Wow. We are finally here. From that promo during the Project Scorpio reveal to now...

FINALLY!!!!!

great OT. Hopefully this game is fun. I enjoyed the demo on Steam a while back.

The Libertine

Oct 29, 2017
Have been looking forward to this for so long. Not the best timing for me as I am obsessed with Elden Ring at the moment, but absolutely going to give this a go. Looks fantastic.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Been waiting on this for years.
I still can't believe it really is coming out tomorrow.
I will blind buy it but not really sure how it's gonna end up being. I hope it's great :)

AfterTheFall

Oct 27, 2017
Hyped to play this on Game Pass.

Edit: Just seen the FAQ thought it was going to be on Game Pass, seems not.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I spotted this little snippet on The Guardian website earlier

Tunic, the Zelda-like game starring an adorable fox that I mentioned earlier, is one of those. It reminds me a lot of the action-adventure games that I loved when I was really getting into gaming and waking up to its possibilities. It has mystery, atmosphere, secrets, and puzzles, all pulled together with an evocative look and feel. Reviews will start appearing tomorrow (that's Wednesday if you're reading this later in the week) – I can't go into too much detail before then, but know that this does not disappoint.

Available on: PC, Mac, Xbox One Approximate playtime: 12 hours

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Hyped to play this on Game Pass.

Edit: Just seen the FAQ thought it was going to be on Game Pass, seems not.

It does seem like the launch is going to be tied into that Xbox Showcase so there's always a chance they're saving a surprise reveal for that stream—but yeah, as things stand right now it's a no for a Game Pass launch.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
hyped for this. been wanting a solid 2D Zelda (or Zelda-like) for a while. death's door didn't really do it for me.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a Mandela effect happening.

I could have sworn this was announced on Gamepass day 1 several months ago.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit, this is out tomorrow? Damn!

Played the game years ago at SXSW Gaming and liked it. Curious to see how much it changed in the past 3-4(?) years of development since then.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Extremely interested but keeping expectations tempered considering there's been some mixed feedback, hope it turns out great! Would love to play someday.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
Is there any way to buy this on Xbox? I've been searching the store everyday for a week now and I can never find it.

Hoodie Season

Jun 17, 2020
I figured but wanted to make sure, thanks. I also wanted to pre-install Shredders and could never find that as well.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I've been dying to play this since the last demo. I am so excited for release!

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Super curious about the price. I'm guessing $25-30. But if it's great I'd happily pay $60.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
Lack of a price and inability to purchase the game gives me hope it'll surprise launch on game pass lol