• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What is the goal of Turkey in Syria, do they want Assad gone, they want a bit of Syria, while killing some Kurds?

If Obama and others pushed further back in the day would Assad be gone by now but the place might have been another Libya or worse?

I get the migration of people is tough and you can't expect countries to host whoever turns up but the world really needs to get a grip, you can't justify shuffle people around and hope for the best, UN or something needs to sort shit out at home or near.

I dunno what should happen, you can say we shouldn't have fucked up the Middle East etc. that set the ball rolling but then you have awful fucks in charge screwing their people. I guess only the people should decide that of course but if we do help, look at Libya now.

Did Saudi Arabia take in refugees, say what you will about them but they are closer and rich at the top to do anything without blinking.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Then how about your government works together with the Assad government and SDF to return refugees instead of supporting HTS and other jihadists?
Oh wait, I forgot, if you do that you can no longer use them to blackmail the EU.

Man, you are vile. Suggesting to cooperate with a mass murderer that people are fleeing from in the first place just so you don't have to deal with refugees coming to your country (which I'm sure has bombed Syria at some point whenever it suited them).

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Man, you are vile. Suggesting to cooperate with a mass murderer that people are fleeing from in the first place just so you don't have to deal with refugees coming to your country (which I'm sure has bombed Syria at some point whenever it suited them).
Sooo we should stop cooperating with Erdogan aswell? Or is he a good mass murderer?

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
yes because Erdogan has done absolutely no wrong. It's not like he funded terror groups in the country that were beheading people in the streets of Syria, or were massacring Kurds in the North.

see I can both sides too. Fuck off with this garbage.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
yes because Erdogan has done absolutely no wrong. It's not like he funded terror groups in the country that were beheading people in the streets of Syria, or were massacring Kurds in the North.

see I can both sides too. Fuck off with this garbage.

Excuse me where the fuck did I say Erdogan did no wrong? I'm not the one both siding here. YOU are.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Making that deal with Erdogan was the stupidest thing EU could've done. And you know it. But somehow you are excusing Assad? Really now?
I'm not excusing anyone. Realpolitik requires you to deal with people who you usually don't wanna deal with. That's why we cooperate with turkey, that's why we cooperate with china, that's why we cooperate with saudi arabia.

Throwing around some moral argument is nice in theory but reality requires you to deal with reality. And the reality of the situation is that assad and russia won and we'll have to do a deal with them at some point in the future.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not excusing anyone. Realpolitik requires you to deal with people who you usually don't wanna deal with. That's why we cooperate with turkey, that's why we cooperate with china, that's why we cooperate with saudi arabia.

Throwing around some moral argument is nice in theory but reality requires you to deal with reality. And the reality of the situation is that assad and russia won and we'll have to do a deal with them at some point in the future.

Fair enough. In the end everyone is thinking of saving their own ass indeed.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Making that deal with Erdogan was the stupidest thing EU could've done. And you know it. But somehow you are excusing Assad? Really now?
The non-Sweden, Malta, Germany EU nations wouldn't have budged and taken in more refugees under any circumstances.
So what options does that leave you with?
There was literally no alternative to the deal with Turkey and you know it.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Excuse me where the fuck did I say Erdogan did no wrong? I'm not the one both siding here. YOU are.
then don't try to throw around morale arguments about why advocating for working with Assad is "vile," because I can throw the exact same argument at you with regards to the U.S. working with Turkey or anyone working with Turkey.

This isn't how you solve conflicts unfortunately, and in the case of Syria, I wouldn't describe any of the sides on the ground as "good." The kurds were the only decent ones and after the Kurds stopped being useful to the U.S. the U.S. just let them get murdered by that sack of shit in Ankara.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
The non-Sweden, Malta, Germany EU nations wouldn't have budged and taken in more refugees under any circumstances.
So what options does that leave you with?
There was literally no alternative to the deal with Turkey and you know it.

True. It was still a dumb move though.

then don't try to throw around morale arguments about why advocating for working with Assad is "vile," because I can throw the exact same argument at you with regards to the U.S. working with Turkey or anyone working with Turkey.

This isn't how you solve conflicts unfortunately, and in the case of Syria, I wouldn't describe any of the sides on the ground as "good." The kurds were the only decent ones and after the Kurds stopped being useful to the U.S. the U.S. just let them get murdered by that sack of shit in Ankara.

The difference is that I don't advocate cooperating with Erdogan. But for you it seems it is acceptable to advocate cooperation with shitty regimes (like Assad) if it suits you. Alrighty then.

zeroOman

Oct 27, 2017
everyone shit Turkey... and stopped talking about the real problem here... which is Assad and Putin some of u just want to shit on turkey cuz of Erdogan.... even when All Europe running from there responsibility

and in another news

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
So let's just pass it on to Greece?

That isnt what's happening. The refugees want to go to Greece because Turkey cant support them.

Turkey got over 6 billion though by now.

Yes and it's clearly been enough to solve the issue while not destroying the Turkish economy...

That's what was agreed, and Turkey was paid handsomely for it. Don't like it then blame your own government.

No more dealings with Erdogan as far as I'm concerned, he can't be trusted. The EU is better off handling their own border security without involving outside countries.

The money is used towards the issue and it clearly isnt enough. Turkey isnt just pocketing the money and handing it out to it's own citizens.

Edit:
To be clear, I dont support the Turkish government and how they've handled the entire Syria situation.

However, that extends to the rest of the world who would seemingly rather not have to worry about the Syrian refugee crisis.

It really wouldnt be too fucking hard for the powers at be to come together and work out a way to help these refugees without putting all the load onto 1 country.

Last edited:

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
m.dw.com

EU offers Greece migration support – DW – 03/03/2020

The president of the European Commission has pledged millions of euros and a fresh deployment of border guards to manage a new wave of migration. The flare-up on the border follows tension between the EU and Turkey.

Those who seek to test Europe's unity will be disappointed. We will hold the line and we will prevail," von der Leyen said. "Turkey is not an enemy and people are not just means to reach a goal. We would do well to remember both in the coming days."

Von der Leyen said Frontex would send a rapid deployment team along with 100 new border guards to support more than 500 currently stationed at the land and sea borders. She also said Greece would have access to up to €700 million ($780 million) for migration management.
At least the commission isn't rudderless this time

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like the dsinformation campaign by erdogan isn't working so they now ban foreign journalists from the border.

Maybe they'll start another false flag like they did yesterday but everyone saw through it.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I have been looking for confirmation about this talking point.
Care to share?
Hence Erdogan's decision to open the doors "mostly appeals to irregular migrants from countries like Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan, who risk deportation, more so than the Syrian refugees," said Murat Erdogan, a professor at Istanbul's Turkish-German University who studies migration and who is no relation to the president.
Source
From 2018, sources Eurostat
Only 14% of unaccompanied minors are from Syria

Also, from recent local news:
This is about Saturday, 98 arrested, none from Syria, 2 Turks, the rest mostly from Afghanistan and Pakistan
From yesterday, 24 arrested, claims most are from Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
of course it's mostly not syrians. Turkey has closed the border to syria, remember?

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I did expect this to happen eventually but not this quick and kinda when the climate change migrations start. (I mean people getting killed at the EU border)

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
They should have the right to have their asylum cases tried.
Greece has suspended asylum, everyone else is looking the other way.

So right now it seems like:

Erdogan can play this game longer.

Erdogan has 3.4 mio human shields he can send to the border.

Opening the border will screw up the EU, probably forever. The poor countries don't want refugees, the rich countries are split but it will probably lead to far right people getting into power. What is moral or not is a different topic because most people in Europe don't want more refugees...

How to solve this clusterfuck I have no idea.

Sloth Guevara

Oct 27, 2017
Greece has suspended asylum, everyone else is looking the other way.

So right now it seems like:

Erdogan can play this game longer.

Erdogan has 3.4 mio human shields he can send to the border.

Opening the border will screw up the EU, probably forever. The poor countries don't want refugees, the rich countries are split but it will probably lead to far right people getting into power. What is moral or not is a different topic because most people in Europe don't want more refugees...

How to solve this clusterfuck I have no idea.

The way is to find a viable way for people to have their asylum claims tried.
I doubt most of the asylum seekers will want asylum.

I'm of the mindset that human rights must be upheld.

OP
OP
poklane

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
On the whole situation within Syria: Turkey and Russia signed a cease-fire today (the Assad government never takes parts in these talks as they're just a Russian puppet at this point and nothing more) which went into effect at midnight, which was a little over half an hour ago. It has allegedly already collapsed with the Syrian army and Russian airforce carrying out attacks.
There's also rumors that Turkey has once again closed the border and is no longer assisting refugees trying to leave the country.

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
I'm Turkish and not usually for Turkish Government/Politics but it's insane how many people in this thread would rather have Turkey continue to struggle to accommodate 2.5 million refugees.

Out of sight, out of mind, in a country that isnt mine, eh?

Maybe stay out of things like this? Turkey is acting vile and Erdrogan is the absolute worst. The politicians of Turkey are ruining their country. As someone who is Greek, passing the buck to my countrymen isn't our responsibility. Turkey drove the refugees into the position they are facing now.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
This is likely a small preview of the future when global warming fucks up the world. The refugees from the Syrian Civil War will look small compared to the numbers in the future caused by the damages of climate change. I eventually expect a form of ecofascism to take over and 1st world countries will likely close themselves off completely from the rest of the world and let the 3rd world fend for itself. Cruel, draconian policy will likely be used to enforce this such shooting anyone who crosses the border on site.

Erdoğan probably thinks he can easily use refugees as bargaining chip to get resources from the European Union. However, it isn't 2015 anymore and people in general appear to be getting wearying of taking in refugees, and I don't foresee Greece letting any refugees in in the near future besides maybe a small token amount.