• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
www.gamesindustry.biz

Twitch continues to grow in Q1 2021, but YouTube Gaming is lagging

Streaming platforms Twitch and Facebook Gaming have seen considerable growth in the first quarter of 2021, but YouTube ā€¦

Twitch continues to grow in Q1 2021, but YouTube Gaming is lagging
Hours watched on Twitch are up 97%, but Facebook is poised to overtake YouTube

Streaming platforms Twitch and Facebook Gaming have seen considerable growth in the first quarter of 2021, but YouTube Gaming has stumbled.

A new report from StreamLabs and Stream Hatchet shows Twitch remains the uncontested forerunner of the streaming space, generating over 72% of all hours watched across the market in Q1 2021.
YouTube Gaming also continues to grow, but has started to dwindle in the last 12 months. In contrast, Facebook Gaming has almost doubled its hours watched in the last year, and is steadily gunning for second place.

While all three platforms saw sizable audience increases in Q1, Twitch saw larger levels of growth compared to last year. The streaming giant generated 6.3 billion hours watched in Q1 2021 -- a 97% increase year-on-year.

Hours watched on YouTube Gaming grew from 1.1 billion to 1.4 billion, just about keeping the platform in second place.

Facebook Gaming, the third biggest live streaming platform, has broken its own records across multiple areas, including hours watched. Audiences skyrocketed, growing from 0.6 billion hours watched in Q1 2020 to 1.1 billion in 2021 -- an increase of 34.5% on the previous quarter. It's also an 119% increase year-on-year, which puts the platform on par with where YouTube was a year ago.

If that level of growth continues, Facebook Gaming could knock YouTube Gaming down a spot for the first time ever since its launch in 2018.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly youtube and facebook are so annoying to navigate in comparison to Twitch. I don't know how they manage to make their layout so clunky.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, streaming platforms have gone a long way. I still remember watching TeamSp00ky back on JustinTV

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Thread title is misleading. The article says the hours are for YT and FB Gaming specifically - an important distinction.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Overwatch League moving over to YT will never stop being a dumb move.

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is quite impressive, even if the order is unsurprising.

Personally been using youtube a lot more than twitch lately, but I wish it didn't murder my CPU. Youtube live chat is more demanding on my PC when things get busy than playing modern games, it's insane.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
This is why twitch can make crap moves and get away with it

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Honestly youtube and facebook are so annoying to navigate in comparison to Twitch. I don't know how they manage to make their layout so clunky.

Yeah, now that I work from home, I want something to listen to while working. I ended up with putting Twitch on simply because I felt it was the best layout.

if only twitch ads weren't so annoying

This is definitely a huge gripe I have. I just mute until it's over.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Vtubers I don't even know of YouTube streamers, the discoverability is awful and even with channels I follow it will often not properly display them as being live when they are. Step it up Google.

The difference is quite impressive, even if the order is unsurprising.

Personally been using youtube a lot more than twitch lately, but I wish it didn't murder my CPU. Youtube live chat is more demanding on my PC when things get busy than playing modern games, it's insane.
The way YouTube's emoji picker will just move at a crawl is ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
Facebook is a bit surprising - don't you use real names on it? I wouldn't want to chat on streams with my real name.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is wild how badly Youtube Gaming is integrated into Youtube. I wouldn't even know it exists were it not for articles like this.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Does facebook count you as a viewer if there is a streamer in your timeline? I sometimes see a streamer in there but I wonder if I count as a viewer when I just scroll past it.

Don't see why anybody would want to watch a stream on facebook, it's so bad.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
It literally says that in the title? Twitch 6.3, YT 1.4 and FB 1.1
And that's still wrong compared to the article which says it is for YT Gaming and not for all of YT. That's my point. Is there no distinction? Pretty sure not everything on YT is marked as YT Gaming. Not sure about FB since I don't use it.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean not to be funny but this really isn't surprising.

They trapped all the big streamers into twitch contracts so they can't stream anywhere else.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both youtube and facebook has their game-streaming so built in to their other bullshit that it's never going to attract people enough to compete with twitch. You still think some other big company would try to create a new clean separated gamestreaming plattform to compete... but Mixers failure might be too scary i guess.

Feb 15, 2019
I like Twitch, meanwhile I don't even understand how to navigate Youtube livestreams. Like there's a Live channel so to speak but then when you click on the gaming live it's just a bunch of streamers put together with no real way to navigate it. I have no idea how to see it by game or by viewers or anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Vtubers I don't even know of YouTube streamers, the discoverability is awful and even with channels I follow it will often not properly display them as being live when they are. Step it up Google.

The way YouTube's emoji picker will just move at a crawl is ridiculous.
It's soooo bad, holy shit. If it's a concert or karaoke stream, the auto quality will even drop resolution so my PC won't die trying to keep up with the clap spam each time a song ends, lmao.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
in gaming live streaming....

youtube(and probably tiktok) crushes it in everything else

the op blatantly misleads. it's false

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah this is my issue with them too. I have to click and scroll way more than I feel like is necessary to even get to a youtube live stream section. I generally forget they exist unless it pops up on my main page.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both youtube and facebook has their game-streaming so built in to their other bullshit that it's never going to attract people enough to compete with twitch. You still think some other big company would try to create a new clean separated gamestreaming plattform to compete... but Mixers failure might be too scary i guess.
I remember before Mixer there was a short instance of Hitbox.tv trying to become a thing. Site UI was a lot slicker than Twitch at the time, but it didn't attract much of a crowd outside some speedrunners.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
And that's still wrong compared to the article which says it is for YT Gaming and not for all of YT. That's my point. Is there no distinction? Pretty sure not everything on YT is marked as YT Gaming. Not sure about FB since I don't use it.
I get what you mean but I couldn't fit any more in the title. I assume people realise this isn't all of YouTube, which is obviously way higher.

EDIT: I guess not, I reported the title to get it changed

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
They took away ad free viewing with prime which made me give up both services (prime and twitch)... So good for them i guess?

Honestly i don't get the hate for YouTubes live streaming. Last i checked you still couldn't scrub the timeline during live videos on twitch. That feature alone makes it superior.

Oct 25, 2017
I get what you mean but I couldn't fit any more in the title. I assume people realise this isn't all of YouTube, which is obviously way higher.
I wonder how they count those things, though. I do watch gaming streams on youtube, but never once went through youtube gaming, I just use the regular thing, as if I'm watching a video. Are my views counting in this statistic?

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Well my point was that it is misleading, upto you to change it or not.
I wonder how they count those things, though. I do watch gaming streams on youtube, but never once went through youtube gaming, I just use the regular thing, as if I'm watching a video. Are my views counting in this statistic?
Generally there is a tag for Gaming, I guess they just count everything tagged. Of course there will be grey areas in this for videos about games, etc. I don't know how they handle those.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
So the article makes the separation for YouTube and Facebook gaming, but is it doing the same for Twitch?
Cause there are tons of streams that pull in big numbers that aren't even video games. "Just Chatting" is one of the most popular Twitch categories.

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
It would take a single person over 700,000 years of watching Twitch to achieve those hours viewed

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a new TV a few months ago and the Trojan horse of there being a Twitch app built into it turned me into someone who never really watched Twitch to someone who puts that shit on in the background every single day, and watches significantly less YouTube as a result.

so yeah, I get the appeal now. I did not realize how much I missed the live aspect of broadcasting until Twitch entered my life.

Last edited:

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
youtube has the best tech, twitch the "best" (for better and for worse) community/chat.
facebook is just shit, but it is gaining traction in asia and the mobile games space.

Lmao come on now. Twitch is big, but I doubt anyone legitimately thinks it's bigger than ALL of YouTube šŸ˜‚
Yeah, this is about streaming, 99% (numbers from my ass) of youtube content is VOD, should be rather obvious.

Capndrake

Oct 28, 2017
Twitch is the best from a user experience standpoint, but the last year or so I've spent far more time watching YouTube streams simply because that's where all the Vtubers are.