• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
error.png

Korean Twitch Updates

In order to find a new solution so that we can continue to operate our service in Korea, we will adjust the original quality for Korean viewers on channels where transcode (quality adjustment) is available from September 30th. In other words, the video quality in Korea will be up to 720p on channels where transcode is provided.

It seems like this has to do with a new 'network usage fee' bill that will require global content providers to pay network fees to local Internet service providers

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Also this shows us all, how we, as a consumer don't matter to those companies.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I've heard some Korean lawmakers tout how the public supports foreign companies paying higher fees for using their networks. But I'm really confident none of the "support" was actually done in a way that told the citizens what that actually meant and who would benefit from such an idea.

OP
OP
Biosnake

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard some Korean lawmakers tout how the public supports foreign companies paying higher fees for using their networks. But I'm really confident none of the "support" was actually done in a way that told the citizens what that actually meant and who would benefit from such an idea.
Does the public actually support it?

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Well game streaming doesn't seem possible with this new bill.

Lowkey this bill seems like it could kneecap South Korea's content creation on all levels if I'm understanding correctly. Like heck after watching the video OP linked I wonder if South Korean creators/celebs may be motivated to move elsewhere long-term

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Lowkey this bill seems like it could kneecap South Korea's content creation on all levels if I'm understanding correctly. Like heck after watching the video OP linked I wonder if South Korean creators/celebs may be motivated to move elsewhere long-term
Well Twitch is moving to peer-to-peer so I don't think it'll be as big of an issue there.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get it. Don't Korea and Japan have the fastest connections on the planet? Even bills increase or whatever, then dunno why they should limit to 720p if the base speed is so high.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Lower resolution = less data usage = less they have to pay to the ISPs.

I get it here but is this just concerning offers with a monthly limit like cellular based ones and so on or even unlimited access internet too? If it is affecting the second one then it's a huge bummer too and tbh I don't get it even more now.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Think of it this way, the korean ISPs are tired that international companies are using their infrastructure for free, and want them to pay for it.

Sort of how Trump wanted Mexico to pay for the wall.

treasureyez

Nov 23, 2017
I get it here but is this just concerning offers with a monthly limit like cellular based ones and so on or even unlimited access internet too? If it is affecting the second one then it's a huge bummer too and tbh I don't get it even more now.

Read the article linked in the OP, which explains the bill that would require Twitch and other content providers to pay Korean ISPs.

The idea that streaming video in 2022 constitutes "excessive network traffic" is ridiculous.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Unrelated to both. Twitch (and others like YouTube) has to pay super high fees to use Korea ISPs, because they are foreign companies. High resolution means more data they are charged on.

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
Yeah, the Korean ISPs and multinational streaming companies have been fighting over this for years. Netflix is fighting it in the court and YouTube has been vocally critical and implied it might take the same steps.

Korean internet companies Naver, Kakao and local Twitch competitor AfreecaTV have been paying this fees since a long time and the ISPs now want the government to pass the same regulations for the foreign companies too. As according to them they take up 60-70% of Korea's streaming bandwidth. YouTube takes more than Naver.
1 billion won = 1 million American Dollars at the usual 1 dollar = 1000 won rate.
0W0HOOk.png

How does that work? Is it a system like bittorrent where you're getting parts of streams from other people viewing?

AfreecaTV is a local older P2P Twitch competitor. I haven't visited in a while but what they did was split viewers into multiple chatrooms when a certain stream's viewers reach a big enough number. Think multiple chatrooms for a single stream. Twitch is also experimenting with the same.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Read the article linked in the OP, which explains the bill that would require Twitch and other content providers to pay Korean ISPs.

The idea that streaming video in 2022 constitutes "excessive network traffic" is ridiculous.

Unrelated to both. Twitch (and others like YouTube) has to pay super high fees to use Korea ISPs, because they are foreign companies. High resolution means more data they are charged on.

Ah gotcha. Hopefully this won't expand to the rest of the world.

Red Kong XIX

Oct 11, 2020
Please explain. I honestly don't know and curious about it.
It's a big topic, probably can't do it justice with just a couple sentences. My personal interest started when I met Korean students in my semester abroad and A LOT of them said that Korea sucks ass and that they want to leave.

Maybe as a starter:
www.youtube.com

South Korea's Untouchable Families | Open Secrets

Open Secrets is a documentary series that looks at just this – secrets lived out in the open,things everyone knows about, but no one will talk about - until ...
www.youtube.com

Do Koreans Think Korea is Living Hell? | ASIAN BOSS

If you consider yourself a true fan of Asian Boss, become a member of our community to join the cause: https://asianboss.ioWe hit the streets of Seoul, South...

Also, watch Parasite.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
We are in this mess cause dumb mofos still can't get queueing technology right, if people used one aspect properly when we reached limits of a network they wouldn't turn to shit

What's worse is the asshole not doing his job gets paid. You're an ISP you're suppose to build for the traffic your consumers generate and government keep falling for the same reason. Lobbying must be a bitch for the same tactic to work in other countries.

StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018
Korea want other countries to build a wall around them?

They want "The content is not available in your country" message

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
People there will just keep using Afreeca as the main streaming platform. Afreeca treats their users much better, it just sucks for anyone outside of Korea because it sucks watching afreeca outside of korea as they've got no servers anywhere so it's super laggy lol

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
People there will just keep using Afreeca as the main streaming platform. Afreeca treats their users much better, it just sucks for anyone outside of Korea because it sucks watching afreeca outside of korea as they've got no servers anywhere so it's super laggy lol
Yeah, a lot of viewers and content creators that moved to Twitch might reverse migrate to AfreecaTV again after this. They were both going toe to toe too with Twitch becoming so popular.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So the ISPs charge their customers for the service, but then also charge companies that the service is used on... for allowing the service to be used? Damn lol

Neha

Feb 17, 2022
what is the korean bill?
A bill that will make it mandatory for ISPs to charge foreign content companies like Netflix, YT etc. a Network Usage Fee on top of the internet access fee. The latter is done everywhere, but the former was introduced in Korea in 2011 when ISPs wanted to charge local companies like Naver, Kakao more.

This happened in the US a decade ago with the ISPs pushing hard for it. Then Netflix started hosting with ISPs to get around it:
arstechnica.com

Netflix says it will pay “tolls” to more ISPs, not just Comcast

Video service calls for stronger net neutrality law that covers peering.
It's also being considered in the EU, an additional usage fee levied by the ISP on the provider:
arstechnica.com

As ISPs seek payments from Big Tech, Google criticizes “sender-pays” model

Google exec objects as EU mulls whether tech giants should fund telecom networks.

PureYeti

Nov 15, 2018
It's a big topic, probably can't do it justice with just a couple sentences. My personal interest started when I met Korean students in my semester abroad and A LOT of them said that Korea sucks ass and that they want to leave.

Maybe as a starter:
www.youtube.com

South Korea's Untouchable Families | Open Secrets

Open Secrets is a documentary series that looks at just this – secrets lived out in the open,things everyone knows about, but no one will talk about - until ...
www.youtube.com

Do Koreans Think Korea is Living Hell? | ASIAN BOSS

If you consider yourself a true fan of Asian Boss, become a member of our community to join the cause: https://asianboss.ioWe hit the streets of Seoul, South...

Also, watch Parasite.

"Rather doing what we love, we become what society wants us to be"

Dang that hits hard

I been checking out the life in Japan. I should check out the life in Korea later.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Think of it this way, the korean ISPs are tired that international companies are using their infrastructure for free, and want them to pay for it.

But that's what an ISP is, a method of accessing content on the internet, either be netflix, yt, xb live or psn. They can't demand that x service pay ISP x rate for x traffic generated.

Jul 22, 2022
If only consumers paid to ISP...Oh, wait. This argument would be valid if ISP did not ask for payment from the consumers. In the first place people connect to the Internet to enjoy the content provided from the companies worldwide. It is like asking Valve to pay for Steam traffic.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
If only consumers paid to ISP...Oh, wait. This argument would be valid if ISP did not ask for payment from the consumers. In the first place people connect to the Internet to enjoy the content provided from the companies worldwide. It is like asking Valve to pay for Steam traffic.
Yep and US (probably Canada too) and EU ISPs want some of this pie as well. It's beyond ridiculous.