Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
But there are a lot of great TV shows that I do watch, so I don't know if that's a fair comparison. If practically every TV show was like "Two Broke Girls," then I would probably say television is terrible.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

There's thousands of streams out there, and you've found at least one you've enjoyed already. Besides people playing games, there's art streams, music streams, IRL stuff, and every person is different. I'm sure with that variety there's more than one person out there you would enjoy watching.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
No one likes all of Twitch's channels. The problem with OP and others is that they haven't found the one good channel for them.
It's just like TV, not everything on TV is good for a single person, each of us has different tastes and moods.

Twitch is fun because you don't only watch someone playing a game you like, or doing a talk show about a topic you are interested in, but also you are sharing your opinions and emotions live with many others online, on Twitch chat.

Personally, I am only subscribed to Easy Allies for their shows, and a couple other streamers exclusively for Final Fantasy XIV.
This is of course besides the official PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo stream channels for their respective shows.

So yea, it depends, again it's like TV, somewhere out there there is a channel you will love to watch.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I mostly just watch speedrunners (trihex,puncay,werster) or people who are actually entertaining to watch because they have an enjoyable personality (maximilian dood, monotone tim etc).

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
No one likes all of Twitch's channels. The problem with OP and others is that they haven't found the one good channel for them.
It's just like TV, not everything on TV is good for a single person, each of us has different tastes and moods.

Twitch is fun because you don't only watch someone playing a game you like, or doing a talk show about a topic you are interested in, but also you are sharing your opinions and emotions live with many others online, on Twitch chat.

Personally, I am only subscribed to Easy Allies for their shows, and a couple other streamers exclusively for Final Fantasy XIV.
This is of course besides the official PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo stream channels for their respective shows.

So yea, it depends, again it's like TV, somewhere out there there is a channel you will love to watch.
Yeah, I think people tend to forget just how much crappy TV there is on cable. I mean there is just so much hot garbage or stuff that doesn't appeal to me in both traditional TV and streaming. It's all about finding what appeals to you as a viewer.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Perfect. That's it.

Twitch is now also the new cloud to be yelled at by old minded people that want to complain about new culture and wireless headphones. It is a badge of honor to 'not get it'.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

There's thousands of streams out there, and you've found at least one you've enjoyed already. Besides people playing games, there's art streams, music streams, IRL stuff, and every person is different. I'm sure with that variety there's more than one person out there you would enjoy watching.

If they exist, I'm not really finding them. Usually I can look at something popular, like a movie or TV show and there's a decent chance I'll enjoy it. The same doesn't apply with streams for me. The most popular streams I don't enjoy. The weird gimmicky streams are interesting for a few minutes at best.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If they exist, I'm not really finding them. Usually I can look at something popular, like a movie or TV show and there's a decent chance I'll enjoy it. The same doesn't apply with streams for me. The most popular streams I don't enjoy. The weird gimmicky streams are interesting for a few minutes at best.

What about IRL stuff?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
And likewise, there are people who don't enjoy modern movies or TV shows either. That doesn't mean that TV or movies are pointless or terrible. It just means they don't appeal to you.

rahzel

Oct 27, 2017
I like watching Twitch for the same reasons I like watching sports. I like watching people who are very good at what they do.
Pretty much this. I mostly watch to improve my game by watching good players.

Some streamers are hilarious though and I watch for entertainmenment.

At first I did'nt get it either but I can see how so many people watch.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
31:

-Speedruns can be good entertainment
-I enjoy watching high skill people play hard games and dem9nstrating their techniques and strategies
Sometimes it's just nice to chill and watch for a bit.

sleepInsom

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And likewise, there are people who don't enjoy modern movies or TV shows either. That doesn't mean that TV or movies are pointless or terrible. It just means they don't appeal to you.

I never said they were pointless, just that this type of entertainment hasn't connected with me.

Then I think of the fun I had watching older Giant Bomb stuff, so I think in my case I'm more attracted to personalities than the games themselves.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Then I think of the fun I had watching older Giant Bomb stuff, so I think in my case I'm more attracted to personalities than the games themselves.

I think that's the case for most people. I only watch the guys from EZA as I watched them at GT and become a constant in my life as they are kind spirited, funny, and extremely entertaining. I don't watch anyone else for the reasons people give generally, much like I don't watch all that many different YouTubers, because they're obnoxious

Mik Pick

Dec 10, 2017
For speed runs I enjoy them since I find them entertaining and exciting, things get really tense when the runner is on World Record pace. For non speed runs I watch because I enjoy the players personality and their communities (For smaller channels at least where the chat isn't flying by). Sometimes you'll find a fun combo where you get a speed runner who is also fun to watch for their personality.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Twitch is more enjoyable than it should be, if you find the right people to watch. The only streams I watch are Easy Allies, my friends when they stream stuff, or really cringey people. EZA are the only "regular" streamers I watch because all 9 of them are really cool and fun personalities. My friends are fun to rib and we all supersu each other because that's how you grow your channel. And cringey people are just so fun to watch and interact with live. I can't even really explain why. Nobody trolls them or anything, we just talk about stuff and it's entertaining.

Overall for me it's just the live interaction I enjoy. You just need to find someone or some group you enjoy.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, at this point Twitch has become so wide-ranging, it's a bit like asking why would somebody watch TV, there's a variety of different reasons at this point.

Came in to say something along these lines. Why pay to go see your favorite artist when you own the music already? Why watch sports when you can go outside and play it? HGTV is one of the most popular cable channels, which is essentially watching people build stuff. Of course you can do it yourself, but are you as entertaining and good at that as The Property Brothers are?

This is Twitch essentially...people watching their favorite artist perform for free, and many of them are likable and entertaining. That's why I take issue with how the OP worded this so negatively...like oh all these guys are boring or whatever...how many channels do you play cable for that you never even touch, but there are a few you can't live without, right?

I don't even play Fortnite (will try it at some point), but watching Shroud, DrDisrespect, Krafty, Ninja and even noobs at the game like Pokimane is highly entertaining and must see prime-time TV. And unlike Youtube, Twitch Prime provides a natural chat filter so that it doesn't get crazy or toxic. The chat commentary during some of these matches rival the hilarity of most comedy shows!

OP totally missed the competitive and esports aspect of it. Like my Property Brothers reference, most of the top games are PvP games and the most popular streamers are better than you at those games.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watch more for the personalities than the games themselves. Some streamers really entertaining.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
So with that whole Drake playing Fortnite thing going down, I was wondering, what exactly is the appeal of a service like Twitch?

Let me first talk about my standpoint: I'm 34 (I guess most around here are 30 thirtysomethings) and grew up playing video games. Now, I love video games, and I love playing them, but it bores the hell out of me to watch someone else play.
Sure, when I was young you would be staying at a friends house and he had this awesome new game and he'd show it to you and it was nice to watch him play for a few minutes, but then I had to have a go myself. The same goes for arcades. You'd admire someone who's really great at something like Street Fighter 2 but you desperatly wanted to get in there and try for yourself.

Now on to the whole Twitch thing (which for me falls in the same category as a Let's Play). I've been trying to watch some streams, but I find them mostly annoying or boring. The streamers themselves are often obnoxious or just uninteresting. But still, they're right there in the frame, sitting in their fancy chairs, playing a video game. That's alright, but I personally don't care to see the person that's playing (and no, I don't want to talk about one particular kind of female streamers).
So, person aside I have the video game. If it's something new, it might be interesting to get some impressions on how a game plays. Or if it's something difficult, it may be interesting to see how someone else may tackle it. But for stuff like that, there are previews and gameplay montages and guides and whatnot.
Or maybe to watch someone really really good play a game? Yeah, that's the point I can probably get the most. Though still, I'd watch for maybe 10 minutes and get bored.

And that's where I'm lost: I don't want to talk rudely about Twitch or the people streaming, really I don't! But I'd really like to get a better understanding on why this blew up so much. Why there are so many people watching, why they give donations to the players (which is even more baffling) and what the general appeal is. Maybe it has something to do with age? Or is it something else?

I'd love to hear some of your opinions on Twitch. What do you think about it? What do you like? What don't you like?
I'm exactly your age and I have exactly the same mentality

I don't even let my kids on youtube cause I want them playing games/making games... not wasting their life away watching people play games. Plus the streamers are usually little twats anyway... I'd rather my kids not look up to some of these people.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I get the appeal for kids, but I also don't get the appeal for me personally. Mainstream videogames are such a different entity from when I was growing up that I really don't feel a connection to most of them anymore and Twitch and such cater to the mainstream so naturally I feel disconnected. This whole migration to online "look at me" games is really, really not for me and I feel it's killing the industry. Perhaps a bit hyperbolic, but I just can't shake the feeling that this is heading a way that isn't healthy.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Not a twitch watcher, little younger than you. I would rather play games then watch personally.

Its a lower barrier of entry to watch and if you like the streamers personality its probably some solid entertainment value. The only times I seem to use Twitch is either streaming press conferences / gaming events.

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the skill factor. I wouldn't watch a person play through Mega Man 2 normally, but it's a different story if they're decimating it in record time.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it's just comfy.

I think this is absolutely it. Just maybe for OP, and definitely for myself, there isn't a single person on Twitch that I've gotten this feeling from. I don't feel a connection to these people. Only from Games Done Quick have I gotten the feeling, mostly because if there's somebody obnoxious there will be someone else there, eventually, to even it out.

artemis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The toxic community is entertaining.
uwjzivcqo9d01.jpg

I agree.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't get Twitch either. not gonna knock someone if they enjoy watching people play games but i don't enjoy it. the only time i ever visit Twitch is to check out a game I am interested in or to see gameplay for new DLC/expansions. and for that i actually prefer YouTube.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's good for checking out games you haven't played. It's also nice to have some interaction with lower view streamers and talk about the game. I also watch a lot of fighting game tournaments on Twitch. I'm 36.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I started watching Twitch for StarCraft 2 when it was still Justin.TV, now I watch Overwatch. I don't bother with people streaming single-player games, but I do like watching highly skilled players play competitive multiplayer games.

I only watch what I'm playing, though. When I stopped playing SC2, I stopped watching it on Twitch, and when I stop playing Overwatch, I'll stop watching it, too.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era has a very very strong single player leaning. The most popular games on Twitch are multiplayer centric.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand it. You get people in these chats all day just talking nonsense too. I've used twitch to get some game impressions, but sitting there watching someone game for an hour isn't for me. Not a fan of the the general twitch culture either.

Kimaris

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I understand wanting to watch a stream while you're at work or something... What I don't understand are people who would rather go home to watch a streamer play a game, versus playing the game themselves.

That and the demand for reaction videos to trailers and stuff is just weird to me.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
I find them mostly annoying or boring. The streamers themselves are often obnoxious or just uninteresting.
This.

And not even speaking of those with horrendious and aggressive UI with poor audio mix (mic at 150% and game audio at 10%): what they were thinking ?!
99% of time I finally watch a simple "no commentary" stream with no horrible UI with BIG *whatever* horrible animated things on screen.
(Why put a chat on screen damn ? Why scream and explode my ears ?)

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 33 and also do not enjoy watching a person play a game, I'd much rather do the playing. But I think that the people that tune in is akin to anyone else watching a fútbol match, or any other sport.

I'm 31, I don't watch sports anymore outside of the Super Bowl or finals of other sports. I watch a hell of a lot competitions of: SC2, Dota 2, Fighting games at stuff like EVO, Counter Strike and more. I watch streamers every so often like ninja or shroud because it's entertaining to watch someone that is THAT good at the game. This doesn't take up a lot of my time though as I just don't see the appeal of watching them for that long, I'd rather be playing said game.

The only streamer that I watched consistently was Day9 and his daily's on SC2. I would watch those all the time.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a little weird to hear people express a sentiment of "why would you want to watch someone play a game" when sports spectatorship is basically a religion in most countries.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I watch(ed) two types of streams, and I never watch them without doing something myself. Most often I play games while watching.

One type is the one where I don't interact at all. It's more like watching a TV-series in the background, but instead of that I watch someone play insane modded Dark Souls runs and such. Things I could never do myself and am impressed by. I watch this less and less because the other type takes up more and more of my time the more friends I make.

The other type is watching friends play and interact with them. It's not like sitting beside a friend and watch them play on the one console/PC like when we were kids. It's more like a gathering where everyone is playing and talking. Most often I am not even interested in the game they play! It's just a way to hang out, chat to many people and discuss whatever comes up. We are usually around ten-ish people, sometimes it can be more like three or four. This is our way of socializing with each other since we live in different parts of the country or even in different countries.
We're planning meetups, but it's gonna be a while. But I have made more friends throught Twitch than anywhere else.

Twitch can be so many different things.

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to not see the appeal in something and walk away without saying anything.

I can get it into short streams 30 minutes to an hour. Get home from work, put something on and unwind. Sometimes I learn a little more about something I play. Commentary can be funny. Granted, I use more YouTube than Switch.

Cragor

Oct 27, 2017
I use twitch to watch e-sport events, mostrly. Its also good for educational purposes on competitive games. Yes, you can watch tutorials, and all kind of videos on youtube too, but they are selected from god knows how many, in other words, they are usually what happens when "everything goes according to plan". On twitch you can usually see what happens when things go wrong, unexpected things and how to react to them, etc.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not super into Twitch but I enjoy watching one streamer who mostly plays older games or obscure bad games and just being able to laugh at them with him. Watching about a 5 or 6 hour playthrough of the game Shadybrook was so much more enjoyable than if I had just played it myself because myself, the other viewers and the streamer all got to enjoy the ridiculousness of it together as a shared experience. I also joined in on a sims online stream done by that same streamer which was fun as it was just us sll chatting shit.

I also like to occasionally watch games like Football Manager or Rimworld as I find them fascinating but I'm not that good at them myself so it's a way to enjoy and appreciate a game even though you aren't proficient at it yourself.

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of it comes down to people being lonely, and watching other people play games (while chatting with others) while they talk to them helps fill that void.

I find it insanely boring though, just as I find eSports to be insanely boring as well.

Syysch

Oct 30, 2017
I mostly just watch tournaments off and on when I'm taking a break from playing. I don't have tv service, so it's either get invested in a 20-60 min episode of something or even longer with a movie on netflix, or find something on twitch or youtube if i want to kill 10 mins while eating. Sometimes I'll use that time to find a game i haven't seen much about yet, but mostly i browse for tournaments or at least top tier players, because i find that entertaining to watch highly skilled play or speedruns.

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm with OP, I totally don't get the appeal of twitch since I have memories of being in arcades as a kid having squandered all my coins and having to wait for my older, more coordinated brother to blow through his cash. Soon I ended up watching more than playing. As an adult, the idea of watching someone else play a game is just weird. But I don't have anything against it.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
For the longest time I was the same way. But I've been watching Twitch a lot now. My main reasons are:

1) Tournaments
2) New game to see what it's like
3) High-level play
4) I used to watch Youtube Let's Play. It's the same thing except I get to interact in real time
5) For multiplayer games it's just another group of people to play with, with the advantage of seeing what's on their screen, which can be rather useful. I actually wished I could see my friend's screens when I play with them nowadays.

Unlike a lot of others here, I generally find the chat for large streams the worst part of Twitch and straight up turn it off.

Last edited:

ReubyJuice

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, AB
I like Twitch as something to have on in the background at work if I'm doing something relatively mindless - some streamers are funny and engaging, and I use Twitch as a way of either finding more out about games I'm thinking of buying, or just watching somebody who's good at games (and learning how to improve my own skills by watching their gameplay).

As a streamer, I like it as a way of engaging with other people when I play a game. I generally enjoy comments on how I'm playing, answering questions about the game, or just engaging in random conversation with viewers.

art_vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
Perfect. That's it.

Twitch is now also the new cloud to be yelled at by old minded people that want to complain about new culture and wireless headphones. It is a badge of honor to 'not get it'.

I mean, I don't get "it" either but I wouldn't say it's some kind of badge of honor. I can see wanting to check out raw gameplay of a game that I'm not totally sold on or that I'm interested in, but beyond that it's not really for me.

I simply don't get the same entertainment out of watching someone play a game vs. playing a game myself. I'm not gonna rag on someone who enjoys watching people play games, you do whatever you like.

I'm exactly your age and I have exactly the same mentality

I don't even let my kids on youtube cause I want them playing games/making games... not wasting their life away watching people play games. Plus the streamers are usually little twats anyway... I'd rather my kids not look up to some of these people.

I love that we're at a point where a parent actively wants their kids playing games. I remember only being allowed 30 mins tv time and 30 mins computer time once we got one. Back in my day, etc.