• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I am so glad the console wars are back, this hobby is more entertaining with the outlandish things people ask for than it was last generation

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Ironically buying Konami would probably be the best for gamers lmao. Some Castlevania, Metal Gear, and Silent Hill is better than none.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Konami would be more interesting for Microsoft. Reinvigorating PES alone would be very interesting to gain more traction in Europe.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
LOL, yes, Konami, whose $2.5B in gross revenue only sees gaming contribute $275M. Great idea

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
This just highlights the lack of thought the average consumer really puts into any of this beyond brand loyalty. People will prob continue to cheer as bigger companies just continue to get bigger and we've no more mid tier/small companies in the space.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Konami has nothing, though. Metal Gear without Kojima and bunch of old dead IPs. Silent Hill can possibly be revived (although Horror genre isn't the most popular), but other franchises... idk.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
People tut-tutting in this thread as if there isn't a thread about sony or nintendo buying out capcom or square enix on era every other week.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dear, sony fans really sweating with this announcement huh? It's crazy.

I mean they should be, anything can be bought up next.

Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Sega, Capcom, nothing's out of bounds now and they're worried about missing out games on their system of choice.

Thankfully there's still under 2 months until launch so people can make informed decisions and finalise or cancel pre-orders.

GodlyTwins

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 30, 2017
Chances are ultra slim, but I'd love to see the meltdown/reactions! Shit, MS is strapped so I think they have a better chance than Sony

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Fanbois wanting exclusives to justify their purchase.

Im not convinced that Bathesda isn't going to release their games on PS still.
7.5bn is a lot of money, needs to be earned back somehow

I agree. As I said in the other thread, the established franchises will probably be timed exclusives, in line with MS' policy with Minecraft. New IPs will be xbox/pc exclusive.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I saw rockstar trending aswell. The price tag on that would be astronomical

I mean, I could understand maybe buying the silent hill or mgs IP but I'm sure Konami would be happy to license it out and do nothing

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Sony buying Take 2 sounded impossible. This also sounded impossible.

How many studios does MS have now?

OP
OP
JumbiePrime

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Imagine making a hashtag for Konami and not Capcom, FromSoft or R*.
Those companies are great but in this context they put out games already ...and good ones .Konami well...is Konami . Can you imagine Sony getting a hold of Silent Hill, Castlevania ,MGS? A Blue Point remake of Silent Hill one .. Oooff..need more BP meds ..

I'm not saying anyone platform holder getting these franchises is good but it's probably the only way we'll ever see them again ...in your house anyway ( unless you want a pachinko in your gaming room)

Oct 25, 2017
I just want someone, anyone, to buy MGS and Silent Hill off them so konami can pump out pachinkos for the rest of time in peace and let kojima make silent hills

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Well that would be the worst purchase ever.

Also I hate to see things like this happen. Stop cheering on big companies buying other big companies. It's the same with WB selling to Apple, who sells itself to Amazon, who sells itself to Disney. Big companies get bigger, while becoming the only place to buy anything, while giving the customer the illusion of choice by making alternative products in alternate names.

LS7lsRd.png

slothrop

ā–² Legend ā–²
Aug 28, 2019
USA
People really don't get acquisitions are not just to "get stuff you like", but to enable certain business strategies. Randomly getting Metal Gear, Castelvania and Bomberman IP would be fine I guess but its not exactly going to do much for Sony, and certainly is not even in the same ballpark of the motivations behind the ZeniMax acquisition.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they would be if Konami did anything with their IP. Probably why people want someone to buy them.
Granted, it's not like Sony themselves are particularly good at managing their own legacy IP. Buying out Konami would probably only end up in a few Konami IP seeing meaningful revivals, while the rest would still ultimately continue to rot.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'm still bothered by Sony fanboys a bit. I'll never forget that Resident evil 4 fiasco in the Ps2/GameCube era. I saw a Sony player say he hope Sony buy Rockstar as retaliation. That comment caused me to cringe.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
What the hell would buying Konami net Sony? Feel like there's not a worse acquisition than them...

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
What do you get when buying the gaming arm from Konami? Sure you get some IP, but no developers or games in development. Sony would need to bolster their studios on their own to make this worth while. Capcom would be a much more realistic option if they had the cash and interest.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they should be, anything can be bought up next.

Ubisoft, EA, Activision, Sega, Capcom, nothing's out of bounds now and they're worried about missing out games on their system of choice.

Thankfully there's still under 2 months until launch so people can make informed decisions and finalise or cancel pre-orders.

I think anybody who games on a non-MS platform is. Why wouldn't they? They could be losing access to their favorite series' unless they buy another console

I'm more talking about asking sony to buy other game companies as payback.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Sony buying Konami would actually be a good move. Nobody is getting konami games anyway since they turned into a pachinko company. They are just sitting on a bunch of awesome IP. Sony buying them would mean that Metal gear, castlevania and silent hill would at leastsee the light of day instead of just fading away.

The issue is that konami is worth about 4 billion dollars. And Sony is worth about 80 billion.(to put it in persopective, microsoft is worth over a trillion dollars. 7 billion seems big but for them it is a rounding error.) They'd be spending a fuck ton of money on what amounts to IP without studios to make them, and acquiring a bunch of workers who they have no real use for unless they intend on making mobile games. There would be a ton of work to get things up and running.

Put it this way, Sony wasn't one of the people interested in the WBgames deal, and that came with several acclaimed studios. Microsoft was.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Well that would be the worst purchase ever.

Also I hate to see things like this happen. Stop cheering on big companies buying other big companies. It's the same with WB selling to Apple, who sells itself to Amazon, who sells itself to Disney. Big companies get bigger, while becoming the only place to buy anything, while giving the customer the illusion of choice by making alternative products in alternate names.

LS7lsRd.png
This.

Status
Not open for further replies.