• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Finally. I recommend Authy for anyone who wants an app that saves stuff in the cloud for when you misplace or replace your phone (no need to remove/re-add the authenticator for every website).

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally! Sometimes I didn't even get those sms codes ...
the system Sony used was just bad

May 9, 2018
To make it explicit, the primary reason that this is good news is because SMS 2FA can be defeated via SIM Hijacking. App-Based 2FA can't.

Finally. I recommend Authy for anyone who wants an app that saves stuff in the cloud for when you misplace or replace your phone (no need to remove/re-add the authenticator for every website).

The other reason to use Authy is because said backup is also encrypted with your own key, meaning if Authy did get hacked, your tokens would be safe (given a sufficiently strong password).

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Thank God. I like having Authy manage my 2FA. Still don't get why eBay hasn't implemented it yet either.

Kayant

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just remember to install it on more than one device and disable multi-device( If that is still on by default) once you have added your devices as you would still be vulnerable to SMS Hijacking.
See -
authy.com

Understanding Authy 2FA’s Multi-Device Feature - Authy

How Many Devices Do You Use? We don’t need to tell you that the world no longer connects to the internet through just a laptop or desktop. In fact, 80% of internet users today own a smartphone. On an average day, smartphone users look at their device 46 times and, collectively, Americans check...
authy.com

Understanding 2FA, the Authy App, and SMS - Authy

Authy was recently contacted by Decryptionary, a cryptocurrency and blockchain dictionary, with concerns about security vulnerabilities of using SMS for two-factor authentication (2FA) and questions about how SMS is used in conjunction with the Authy 2FA apps. These are great questions. There...

Personally prefer to manage the backup myself as apps like Aegis Authenticator & andOTP allow for encrypted and plaintext backups for which I can get the OTP seed which is what is used by the apps to generate the codes. Which means I am not tied down to one app as it allows me the flexibility of generate the codes whenever needed.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Welcome news. Not sure what took so long but it's good to know with them probably dropping development on the PS4 firmware pretty soon that this will be there.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017
That's good, the more services that give the option, the better. I do kind of laugh at my video game accounts are in some ways more secure than my bank.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
It's about time. I always found it amazing that Nintendo managed to do it before Playstation.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finally. Already switched from Google Authentication to Authy, ready to add one more site.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I had no troubles with SMS really, but Authenticator apps are a much better alternative.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
THIS!!! I used Google Authenticator and I restored my phone (and another time replaced it with a new one) and it does NOT backup to the cloud. I had to go back and get all my 2FA codes from various sites, and I am sure I am missing some. Meanwhile with Authy, it backs up to the cloud and works greatly. Even for apps that say "Use Google Authenticator", Authy works.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Now I can experience the tantalizing possibility of losing access to my account forever if I drop my phone down the sewer.

Yeah, this is the answer.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
Why did it take so long?

MS authenticator has cloud back up, but doesn't work cross platform.

Last edited:

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
Now what about Vita/PS3 for people who still use those because not all games have been ported to other platforms?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know this but Google now offers a way to transfer accounts for when you get a new phone. I don't think there's any way for when people lose their phones/can't turn it on. But I'm glad to know they have this option.

Oh, and it's Android only for transfers.

security.googleblog.com

Introducing portability of Google Authenticator 2SV codes across Android devices

Posted by Dongjing He, Software Engineer; Teddy Katz, Software Engineer; Christiaan Brand, Product Manager Today is World Password Day, an...

Firefox

Oct 27, 2017

Cloud backups are invaluable! I've been using Microsoft Authenticator which also has cloud backups.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
Really embarrassing its taken this long. One of the only accounts I have that didnt have it.

Now whats the over/under on proper u2f support?