somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
The New Nintendo Ooooooo

hqdefault.jpg
I appreciate this reference.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Damn do I really want to pay $70 for BotW again.
Oh you know you want. As soon as you see the DLSS upscaled 4k/60fps footage you'll be in love as you where 10 years ago, when they showed it off the first time. Let it go, don't fight it, you lost already anyway.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vga0QYSOuIc

Remember they dropped the best videogame trailer ever for the launch.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I'd pay for an upgrade path, but I just can't see myself dropping $60-70 on a BOTW remaster anytime soon. Would need significant new content content to justify that
Oh you know you want. As soon as you see the DLSS upscaled 4k/60fps footage you'll be in love as you where 10 years ago, when they showed it off the first time. Let it go, don't fight it, you lost already anyway.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vga0QYSOuIc

Whole time I'd just be thinking "damn I wish this was TOTK" lol. Ideally this is part of a wider "next-gen upgrade" program and several games receive updates at launch

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Almost got it. The wizard is the name of the console and it has two magnet detachable power gloves.

jqIS7dHdrdqvK.gif

GODDAMN IT.

...of course, what I mean is that the situation with development was quite fluid, and my sources got a little mixed up, and that there was a plan for a tie-in film at one point... etc. etc. :-)

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
A BotW that integrates the DLC and features minimal load times and vastly increased draw distance and scenic detail with enhanced lighting and textures at 4k 60fps... with maybe some extras like the amiibo gear obtainable in-game, or a new item for slip resistance (like the Froggy Armor from TotK)... and a possible Bowser's Fury-style campaign where you play as Zelda, maybe in some dream world she experiences while trapped in Hyrule Castle, fighting off dark forces with area-of-effect spells and ranged magic to keep Ganon contained... Could be interesting.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
A BotW that integrates the DLC and features minimal load times and vastly increased draw distance and scenic detail with enhanced lighting and textures at 4k 60fps... with maybe some extras like the amiibo gear obtainable in-game, or a new item for slip resistance (like the Froggy Armor from TotK)... and a possible Bowser's Fury-style campaign where you play as Zelda, maybe in some dream world she experiences while trapped in Hyrule Castle, fighting off dark forces with area-of-effect spells and ranged magic to keep Ganon contained... Could be interesting.
We wont get all of that lol

And I will still buy it day 1

Oct 25, 2017
If ToTk comes back its a remaster with maybe no loading entering shrines and a new questline or smt, Nintendo probably feels that it can just rerelease the game without adding much since there's already so much content in the game.

It's not unlikely, but I'd be disappointed if there wasn't any new content. The gameplay differences between the games is interesting to me, and I want to play it again, but the fact totk just has so much more content keeps me from another playthrough.

I don't want to explore without all the caves and new locations. It's basically the same map with less in it... Even for someone who has only played totk, I feel like that might be kind of underwhelming.

Whales

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
im not sure I see the point of a "botw remaster" when totk exists. why wouldnt they just make an enhanced version of that for switch 2 instead??

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
We wont get all of that lol

And I will still buy it day 1
The safe bets are probably the included DLC, and the graphical and performance upgrades.

One amazing idea (that I wouldn't bet on, but it's fun to imagine possibilities) would be adding the extra enemy variety from Age of Calamity. So stuff like the Malice Talus, the Thunder Lynel, the Flame Hinox, etc.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
im not sure I see the point of a "botw remaster" when totk exists. why wouldnt they just make an enhanced version of that for switch 2 instead??

Because they can do the same for TotK later.

And also there were reports people being shown Switch 2 tech demos using BotK ports so some of the work is already done.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Between the Gamescom reports last year and this, it seems likely at this point they'll release an updated BotW (and they'll do TotK, too, whether it's at the same time or later).

Yeah, seems pretty likely at this point. Probably a Switch 2 launch title.
  • 1440p, 60 FPS
  • Ray-traced lighting
  • Overall IQ improvement
  • Instant loading
$70 seems steep though. At $50 they could probably get quite a few people to double dip.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Between the Gamescom reports last year and this, it seems likely at this point they'll release an updated BotW (and they'll do TotK, too, whether it's at the same time or later).
Kind of reminds of what happened with Wind Waker, in the sense that they were using it for internal experimenting on HD development, and then ended up turning it into a real product. Probably messing around with instant loading, removal of loading, etc., being a big aspect here.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
  • 1440p, 60 FPS
  • Ray-traced lighting
  • Overall IQ improvement
  • Instant loading
$70 seems steep though. At $50 they could probably get quite a few people to double dip.
if they cut the blood moon cutscene, i'm back in at…well I won't give them any ideas

Floex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with them releasing it again but come on if it's a launch title? That is some straight no no

We've ALL played but this point but who am I kidding it'll selling gang busters.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Wii (U) -> Switch (King) -> Switch '2' (O)

BOTW + included DLC Pass "Remastered" version for Switch 2 with those features that were seen in the rumor from Gamescom a year or so back. With new mini DLC side story for Zelda as MC to get people to see something new with the purchase.

It will get a new Zelda game for Nintendo at the console launch but also be small enough of work they could still be developing with a majority of their staff the next game they have planned for the Zelda series.

$10-20 patch to get upgraded to the BOTW "Remastered" version or $69.99 Switch 2 new box

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • 1440p, 60 FPS
  • Ray-traced lighting
  • Overall IQ improvement
  • Instant loading
The tech demo was actually 4K/60 fps with DLSS enabled.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wii U ports worked because it was cool to see them on an actual successful console and one that literally could not be backwards compatible.

Kinda feel like they're in for a rude awakening if they try for full priced remasters of games already available on Switch 1. Upgrade path has gotta be the way to go.

A Bowser's Fury-like would get me though, can't lie.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
O might also stand for "Odin," which is supposedly nVidia's codename for the hardware /chipset:

famiboards.com

Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation & Discussion |ST| (Read the staff posts before commenting!)

Regarding MicroSDs... if I'll use my 512GB SanDisk microSD (not the Extreme model) on Switch 2 will the games load slower or impact performance? Compared to internal storage, yes, it's reasonable to believe that it would be much slower than the new internal storage. However, the improved...
I prefer this speculation, because it's more grounded in the realms of reality with OEM partnership and businesses creating products.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Wouldn't be the first time they've done that for a remaster tbh

Considering we're YEARS away from the next major Zelda game, this is EXACTLY what I expect. Enhanced port/remaster of BotW with a bundled-in though still standalone side-game starring Zelda that's a unique and experimental project. Very, very Nintendo move for filling out the release calendar. I'm down.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Nothing could excite me less than the prospect of going through that version of Hyrule again, but BOTW for Switch 2 has a ton of sales potential either way. If there is a Bowser's Fury type thing coming I hope it can be bought standalone.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Remastering BotW but not TotK would be a very Nintendo like decision.
It actually makes sense, the more I think of it.

BotW will be 8 years old by March 2025. Its DLC will be nearly 7 years old. TotK will be a few months shy of 2 years old.

So first, combine BotW with its DLC and remaster them with increased draw distance and detail, raytraced lighting and improved IQ at 60 fps and 4K with DLSS. Maybe include an experimental side game in the style of Bowser's Fury. Call the overall package "BotW Definitive Edition."

The next year, release a new 2D Zelda, more ports or spinoffs like Hyrule Warriors.

By March 2027, remaster TotK and add new content similar to BotW DE. It would be 4 years old by then. This will also have allowed the Switch 1 version more time to sell.

Meanwhile, in the background, Nintendo is steadily working on the next 3D open-world Zelda. Perhaps the live-action movie is already out, and perhaps something will happen with a Zelda theme park.

It's a solid growth arc for the IP.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing could excite me less than the prospect of going through that version of Hyrule again, but BOTW for Switch 2 has a ton of sales potential either way. If there is a Bowser's Fury type thing coming I hope it can be bought standalone.

Yeah. There is absolutely zero chance in hell I will rebuy BotW or TotK on the next Switch. I already own BotW twice. They aren't getting my money a third time for the same goddamn game. And TotK was already wearing thin for me the first time I beat it.

God, I hope they actually move the franchise forward instead of spending the next 3-4 years just recycling old ideas. I'm ready for something new and exciting out of Zelda.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
I was typing up a paragraph or so explaining why there's no way for a console launch it'd be remasters of console launch games for the last system, but I was sort of thinking about the counter arguments people could make while I was typing and I'm like...maybe they will do this actually. I can see an argument either way. Disappointment for me personally but might make sense for the company.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Everyone in the industry knows people who know people. I've heard so much secondhand stuff that came true, it absolutely wouldn't shock me if Midori just had a trustworthy source who knew secondhand. Ultimately Midori's leaks have been (afaik) extremely on point, so I would personally trust them until they have a pattern of incorrect leaks.
Yep, I work in motion capture and so I know so much about upcoming unannounced games/movies/TV (nothing from Nintendo, of course).

It's not surprising for someone in the industry to know way more than they "should", the surprising part is that anyone would ever risk their career for some Twitter likes.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
It would be completely illogical for Nintendo to not have an upgrade path for something like this considering the new console is going to be backwards compatible and utilize the same Nintendo account.

For the inevitable "but they just did a whole gen of WiiU re-releases for $60" - yeah, and those games are brand new to 95%+ of Switch owners.

The most likely scenario, imo:
  1. Full-priced box version that includes the DLC on the Switch 2
  2. An upgrade path for existing BotW owners for base game only
  3. Continued sales of the DLC
Nintendo's not going to miss out on selling an upgrade and the DLC to the 30+ million existing owners of BotW, if this is real.

Hell, they might give it away for free as a console upgrade incentive.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
BotW and TotK remasters makes sense to bring in more players and "upgrade" people to Switch 2 before a new Zelda game comes out in 4 or 5 years.

And yes, having a $10-20 "upgrade path" or something like that makes sense for current owners depending on what they have.

It's basically like Last of Us 1 and 2 remasters.

They have a long time horizon because TotK came out just 1 year ago, so the reasonable expectations is 2027-2029 for the next new iteration.

Last edited: