• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
An Oklahoma man faces up to 12 years in prison on a Caribbean island after customs officials found ammunition in his luggage.

Ryan Watson traveled to Turks and Caicos with his wife, Valerie, to celebrate his 40th birthday on April 7. They went with two friends who had also turned 40.

The vacation came to an abrupt end when airport staff members found a zip-close bag containing bullets in the couple's carry-on luggage. Watson said it was hunting ammunition he had accidentally brought with him — but under a strict law in Turks and Caicos, a court may still impose a mandatory 12-year sentence.

"They were hunting ammunition rounds that I use for whitetail deer," Watson told NBC Boston in an interview conducted last week that aired after their first court appearance Tuesday.

"I recognized them, and I thought, 'Oh, man, what a bonehead mistake that I had no idea that those were in there,'" he said.

The couple were arrested and charged with possession of ammunition. Authorities seized their passports and explained the penalties they faced.

www.nbcnews.com

U.S. tourist faces 12 years in prison after taking ammunition to Turks and Caicos

Ryan Watson traveled to the popular vacation spot with his wife to celebrate his 40th birthday. The vacation came to an abrupt end when airport staffers found bullets in the couple’s carry-on luggage.

What's crazy is that US security missed this! So much for that lol.

The ammo was found in Turks and Caico customs coming back.

My question, how stupid can you be? Traveling is a very serious thing, check your damn bags. You're going to a foreign country. It's not a joke. Even on vacation. How do you just have ammo in your carryon of all things?!

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see the Venn diagram between people upset over this case but also totally cool with what happened to Brittney Griner....

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

I hate to break it to you but airport security is more theatre than anything else and more stuff gets through it than a sieve.

I will say that mostly applies to drugs and things of that nature though, I would have assumed ammunition would be a lot easier to spot. But they are all human at the end of the day.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I'm so paranoid about what I'm packing when I travel abroad. Really feel for this dude though because it seems like an honest mistake and some bags have pockets that aren't regularly used.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to see the Venn diagram between people upset over this case but also totally cool with what happened to Brittney Griner....
I do agree it's excessive, but man, what a idiotic move. Check your luggage. Customs is no joke. And this person is a hunter. You should be more cautious. Not every place is America, bud.

It will probably be commuted since T&C is a tourist economy. They probably don't want the bad PR. But I'm sure it will require some due process for that to happen.

I hate to break it to you but airport security is more theatre than anything else and more stuff gets through it than a sieve.

I will say that mostly applies to drugs and things of that nature though, I would have assumed ammunition would be a lot easier to spot. But they are all human at the end of the day.

Oh, I know. I was being sarcastic.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
12 years seems excessive for a ziplock of ammo and no gun, but also dude forgetting where you put some bullets and accidentally smuggling them across international borders is the most American-brained thing imaginable. You should be more careful with ammo even without international travel involved…

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
TSA is totally working as usual I see lol

"Hmmm this bottle is over the carrying limit, please step aside"

*completely misses literal bag of bullets*

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
imagine being so obsessed with guns that you leave random bullets in travel bags.

Eh, I'm all for gun control, and this guy probably is a gun nut, but leaving something like this in luggage is something I could see my dad doing. Hunting (all his meat is used as food by our extended family) is his life hobby. Both for food and to help with destructive over-population. He'll pack a bag and camp out in the wilderness to hunt. So there's a possibility this guy just made a stupid mistake, and isn't out pushing for "Moar guns!".

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I get raked over the coals if I have a 3.5 ounce tube of toothpaste in my carry on but this guy managed a baggie full of bullets?

Oct 27, 2017
12 years seems excessive for a ziplock of ammo and no gun, but also dude forgetting where you put some bullets and accidentally smuggling them across international borders is the most American-brained thing imaginable. You should be more careful with ammo even without international travel involved…
I agree with this. 12 years is much but what he did was incredibly stupid and he should get some sort of reprimand/punishment for it

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I get raked over the coals if I have a 3.5 ounce tube of toothpaste in my carry on but this guy managed a baggie full of bullets?
Maybe they thought it was M&Ms lol.

Eh, I'm all for gun control, and this guy probably is a gun nut, but leaving something like this in luggage is something I could see my dad doing. Hunting (all his meat is used as food by our extended family) is his life hobby. Both for food and to help with destructive over-population. He'll pack a back and camp out in the wilderness to hunt. So there's a possibility this guy just made a stupid mistake, and isn't out pushing for "Moar guns!".

For international travel. You think your dad would forget that? Knowing that countries aren't as gun friendly as the US?

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
I can see TSA not caring about the ammunition if they were accidentally left in the checked in luggage on the way to T&C.

But even then, the fact that he thought he could just put them in a zip lock and bring home as carry-on just seems so out of touch with basic understanding about countries outside of the US.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
For international travel. You think your dad would forget that? Knowing that countries aren't as gun friendly as the US?

I doubt he would make the mistake, but having traveled and found money in an "elastic pocket" that was somehow folded in under the liner of my luggage, maybe. The cash was from a trip from over 2 years ago, lol. I don't make a habit of just losing money, it was $63, heh.

Don't get me wrong, not defending him. Ammunition isn't something you accidentally carry with you.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I'm paranoid on if I can bring stuff like ibuprofen to Japan. I couldn't imagine having bullets. I like quadruple checked my bag and all the pockets it has just in case. Lol.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
With the amount of episodes of Border Security I watched back in the day it doesn't surprise me when people forget the stupidest shit in their luggage or vehicles. The amount of people trying to cross the Canada/US border with drug paraphernalia, open alcohol, or weapons is amazing. lol

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Some friends and I were talking about this last night and I just have zero sympathy for this guy. These lunatics are so well armed they've got bullets spilling out of their swimsuits. I appreciate a country that takes citizen safety seriously. Spend a year in jail, pay a big fine, maybe learn a lesson.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Throw away the key for dude being this much of an idiot. Will never understand people who casually have guns and bullets around. Are Americans fucking insane.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a rough sentence for an accident but yeah accidentally forgetting you had bullets in your luggage is wild.
Bullets in a baggie. Was that his lunch?
"I've heard of eating lead, but this is ridiculous!"
25110170.gif

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to my brother but it was TSA who caught it and it was a whole gun and ammo that he had taken to the shooting range and forgot to take out. Fortunately it was beyond obvious that it was a mistake since they could tell he wasn't trying to smuggle it or anything.

I'm sure stuff like this is extremely common in the US anyway. Definitely need to be more careful flying international.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Throw away the key for dude being this much of an idiot. Will never understand people who casually have guns and bullets around. Are Americans fucking insane.
Damn, I mean the guy had some ammo in his bag accidentally. I'm all for calling out the sick gun culture in the US but this couple doesnt deserve to rot in a hellhole prison the rest of their lives.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I feel kinda bad, I guess, but I also don't own any ammunition let alone so much ammunition that I would misplace it in random bags that I didn't thoroughly check before traveling internationally. Like maybe we don't need to be obsessed with guns in this country to where we forget about ammunition like it's a receipt in a suitcase or something.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
I do agree it's excessive, but man, what a idiotic move. Check your luggage. Customs is no joke. And this person is a hunter. You should be more cautious. Not every place is America, bud.

It will probably be commuted since T&C is a tourist economy. They probably don't want the bad PR. But I'm sure it will require some due process for that to happen.

Oh, I know. I was being sarcastic.

I don't think is excessive… I love that the government is taking gun problems seriously unlike our government here.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Some of these comments are insane. I would consider myself anti-gun but this is not the case to make a point. They were bullets. Not an actual gun. The potential punishment is egregiously excessive

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Something similar happened to my grandfather and a loose .357 round that got into his medkit he uses in his range bag (and that he also travels with). TSA caught it and nothing came of it thankfully, but it is something that can happen even if you think you are being careful.

12 years for some loose hunting rounds that by all accounts WAS an honest mistake is absolutely insane. There was no gun, there was no threats of violence or anyone injured.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I just can't imagine being that casual with that kinda stuff

Oct 25, 2017
For people saying it's excessive to throw time at this guy, would you say the same if this story was about a Colombian showing up in a US Airport with a bag of cocaine saying "whoopsie"?

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I accidentally brought a tiny (talking half inch) blade through security once because it was attached to a mini-multi-tool on my keychain, but this I cannot understand at all.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Almost feel like whoever should have checked the luggage properly at the US should be the one prosecuted...how the hell did bullets not flag for a carry on?

Still mad to me that you can just chuckle and forget where you put your bullets.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Jeez. What a stupid thing to leave in your bag.

When I drive to the US from Canada, I go through every inch of my car to make sure I don't have a single bit of cannabis left lying around. I've gotten so casual with it since legalization that if I slack off, I could easily bring some across the border unknowingly.

May 29, 2023
Some of these comments are insane. I would consider myself anti-gun but this is not the case to make a point. They were bullets. Not an actual gun.
I understand this forum largely skews anti-gun. I thought it was anti-carceral as well. It's gross to see people feel so righteous about acting punitively against someone for a stupid mistake based on a dumb stereotype.

No, this guy doesn't deserve to spend 12 years in a prison cell. Good lord, people.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Am I the only person that thoroughly empties my luggage when I take it out to pack for a trip?

Dude needs to take responsibility for his shit choices. 12 is a long time. Hope they can get books or something. Maybe books on gun safety and how to respect the rule of law.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly someone who handles guns responsibly. Carrying live ammunition across international borders is some of the dumbest shit you can do.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I understand this forum largely skews anti-gun. I thought it was anti-carceral as well. It's gross to see people feel so righteous about acting punitively against someone for a stupid mistake based on a dumb stereotype.

No, this guy doesn't deserve to spend 12 years in a prison cell. Good lord, people.

I'm pro gun as fuck but the thing is, it's not about the 12 years. Don't carry guns or ammo into another nation when you know they have strict laws and harsh punishments. And if you don't know, that highlights the problem. Can't assume everywhere is like home. Goofy tourists do that a lot and I can't fathom why. I'm making multiple phone calls and checking when traveling with medications internationally.

Then expect people to get outraged at the sentencing guidelines of other nations for a situation they put themselves in through their ignorance and complacency.

Dude could have prevented this by investing in a separate ammo bag…

Last edited:
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think is excessive… I love that the government is taking gun problems seriously unlike our government here.
I do agree that the government has the right to enforce their laws. The man was a guest in their country. But the burden is really on the traveler here. You're going there. When in Rome, etc. This is just basic travel eitquette.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Only Americans would think the punishment is excessive.

Most countries take great pride in gun control and having gun related crimes measured in single to triple digits annually. Even if there was no gun, ammunition is extremely restricted in most countries and 3d printing now poses a risk.

Ignorance is no excuse when it comes to customs and border protection.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Bullets are incredibly easy to get lost/stuck in places, but really you probably shouldn't be using the same bag for international travel.

www.nbcnews.com

U.S. tourist faces 12 years in prison after taking ammunition to Turks and Caicos

Ryan Watson traveled to the popular vacation spot with his wife to celebrate his 40th birthday. The vacation came to an abrupt end when airport staffers found bullets in the couple’s carry-on luggage.

An old neighbour of mine worked in the UK Border Force for years and said that people from US flights arriving with guns/ammo was something that happened surprisingly often.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Most countries take great pride in gun control and having gun related crimes measured in single to triple digits annually. Even if there was no gun, ammunition is extremely restricted in most countries and 3d printing now poses a risk.

Correct.

I do think his sentence will be commuted, though.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

I'm not american and find this punishment ridiculous

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
There's going to be a way for the country to signal its seriousness about this while allowing the man off with something like a fine and banning him from the country.

The point isn't to make an example of this guy, it's to deter people in the future who aren't as benign.

I do want to offer a shoutout to TSA here though: super helpful, guys!

FizzMino

Shinra Employee
Sep 15, 2022
Colorado, USA
This dude should be slapped on the wrist and ordered to pay a fine and set free.

The guy had 4 rounds of hunting ammo he forgot about (stupidly) in his travel bag, he wasn't carrying a gun or a fucking bomb.

12 years is absurd. And that is the minimum sentence!

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like i'm in crazy town with some of the obviously american responses in this thread trying to casually hand wave someone bringing munitions to another country.

Change the name of this guy to something arab flying out of cairo into NY and he would've been sent to guantanamo.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
A non malicious, non violent crime with no victims. I can't believe he's only eligible for 12 years in prison and not 25.