• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
To me there is a little bit too much smoke regarding bc on PS5 being at least different than it's on Xbox. Sudden first party game patches, a deleted tweet regarding a Sekiro patch to bring the game up to 60 fps on PS5, Sony outright saying bc might require work from original devs, now Ubi's message.
We'll find out soon I guess.
Lance McDonald deleted his tweet regarding Sekiro because it was false/incorrect (his words from his twitch channel).

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I find that way less likely considering it's their products and they proactively released this information.

Ubisoft has never had crystal clear messaging but suddenly--with this--it's believable?

The publisher is more likely to be correct in this situation. They'd know better about their own games.

And Sony, as the manufacturer of the console, likely knows way more about that.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Xbox clear messaging and bc performance is the reason I went xsx first and PS5 later down the line.
Its astonishing how bad Sony is handling this. Will hold on on my ps4 and this mess is clear.

These types of posts just show that some are unwilling to look at an issue before making some brazen announcement. Sony said ten games don't work. These games aren't on the list. The most likely confusion is on Ubisoft's end unless you think Sony outright lied. Which would be real stupid of them considering.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Not really if the game is more broken but is barely playable. I don't think you can count that as playable thats on Sony and their definition of "playable"

Have you played it? How do you know what's playable and not? What's broken or not? Sony says it is playable, but with errors. Do you know what those errors are?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm inclined to say Ubisoft would be the best source for this info. For one, they're giving granular information on their own titles, and if anything, they have a disincentive to exaggerate problems.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
I really wish we could have a live feed once a week where the devs and the hardware maker answer questions. This shit is so confusing. Some saves won't work, now some PS4 games won't work, PS4 games need patches. It all sounds like Sony's solution to BC differs from Microsoft's.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
These types of posts just show that some are unwilling to look at an issue before making some brazen announcement. Sony said ten games don't work. These games aren't on the list. The most likely confusion is on Ubisoft's end unless you think Sony outright lied. Which would be real stupid of them considering.

The one thing that's readily apparent on this forum is that Occam's razor gets left by the wayside when console wars are at issue.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020
I just checked the PS Store. Syndicate isn't the only game that shows that Error message.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition says the same thing

Sleeping Dogs™ Definitive Edition

The Definitive Edition of the critically acclaimed, award winning open-world action adventure, reworked, rebuilt and re-mastered for PlayStation®4. All 24 previously available DLC extensions have been integrated into the game, including the story-extending episode Year of the Snake and the...

"When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent. To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details."

Are their any other games?

Edit: So does Return To Arkham

Batman: Return to Arkham

Previous special offer price valid from 11-10-2023 to 25-10-2023 was £5.24 €7.49 AU 10.49 BGN 14.98 CZK 197.85 DKK 55.35 HUF 2548 NZ 13.49 NOK 82.35 PLN 31.35 SEK 79.35 USD 6.74 ZAR 134.85 HRK 56.85 INR 449 TRY 53.85 ILS 29.85brbr Return to Arkham and experience two of the most...

"When playing on PS5, this game may exhibit errors or unexpected behaviour and some features available on PS4 may be absent. To play this game on PS5, your system may need to be updated to the latest system software. See PlayStation.com/bc for more details."

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
You are not reading wrong, but this title is misleading as hell.
And I wonder what is happening with these games.

Did the title change? Because it doesn't seem misleading at all to me

Those are all the PS Vita port games right?

Tomb Raider GO and I think Hitman GO also don't work.

Wonder if some technique to port Vita to PS4 games is causing BC issues?

Only the Chronicles games were on the Vita. The others were VR titles and Syndicate, the mainline title before Origins

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Sony listed 10 games that won't work at all.
Maybe Ubi has a different threshold of "won't work" e.g. some music won't play or graphical glitches or may crash in specific situations.
If they have a different threshold then they need to align theirs with Sony's, because they're outright saying those games will not be backwards compatible. That's a very different thing to them having glitches. If something like Syndicate is playable on PS5 then whatever threshold Ubisoft are using is fundamentally flawed. If it isn't playable then Sony need to explain what's going wrong on their side, and what other games from other publishers are similarly not working.

trajon

Dec 5, 2017
Not gonna lie, a little disappointed about Syndicate as it's still my favorite AC game of the ones I've played. Not too upset about the others though.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
Maybe there are some problems after a mid-story event in Syndacate on PS5, Ubisoft tested all the game, while Sony did not?

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I just checked the PS Store. Syndicate isn't the only game that shows that Error message.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition says the same thing

Sleeping Dogs™ Definitive Edition

The Definitive Edition of the critically acclaimed, award winning open-world action adventure, reworked, rebuilt and re-mastered for PlayStation®4. All 24 previously available DLC extensions have been integrated into the game, including the story-extending episode Year of the Snake and the...

Are their any other games?

I thought all PS4 titles had that warning now?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
What's with the conspiracy theory attitude? What do they have to gain in saying games don't work on a platform that they sell millions of titles on per year?

The same can be said about accusing Sony of lying, no?

The same "proof" Sony has provided. All we have are words from companies.

We also have an independent party verifying that. Did you not see the tweet posted 16 times in this thread?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Could be that they didn't work but Sony has updated the firmware to account for whatever issue they were having, so Sony didn't list them.
That's definitely the most sensible conclusion, but at the same time, why does Ubisoft have all those games still listed as not playable? Maybe Sony and Ubisoft have differing opinions of playable, as Sony did say Syndicate may be glitchy and exhibit unusual behavior.

Either way, this whole thing is a mess, and it'd be better if Sony broke down its backwards compatibility into tiers as in a works perfectly tier, works well but may contain weird behavior, works with boost mode and then a not compatible tier. But they didn't

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
That is interesting. Some very specific titles and unusual that something like Syndcate would be listed as not working but other same time frame ACs woudl work.

Sony website API about back-compat

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
There is definitely something to these claims. As I mentioned in the PT compatibility thread, the new https://library.playstation.com web site has an API which can query the BC compatibility of PS4 games.

If you put in some of these games they return a state of bootable rather than compatible:

Star Trek Bridge Crew
nUQy5EB.png

Assassins Creed Syndicate
AiNBsba.png

For comparison, Division 2 reports as compatible:
PSTV5BE.png

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, wouldn't surprise me at all Ubisoft going, no micro-transactions = broken game
But on a serious note, what's so special about Syndicate that that one don't work? But unity does?

Syndicate had some botched Pro support early on (Unity never had any Pro support) but I do believe they fixed that all up. No idea what is causing the compatibility issues.

Gonna be fun to see the tests from DigitalFoundry, NXGamer and many others I'm sure.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
From
ubisoftconnect.com

News - Ubisoft Connect

Check the latest news about Ubisoft games

list of the games:

• Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles India
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles China
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles Russia
  • Risk
  • Star Trek Bridge Crew
  • Werewolves Within
  • Space Junkies

Am I reading it wrong? Sorry if already posted
No AC: Syndicate is bizarre. If Unity works, I wonder what's holding Syndicate back. Shame too as it's a genuinely great game.

Bridge Crew and Werewolves Within are a shame but they're (mostly) online dependent games that have almost completely died by this point so it's not likely that they'd be playable for that reason regardless.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Why would it not be? Ubisoft is clearly saying 'this shit broken'

As does Sony on the same store page where they sell the game saying it'll work on PS5.

Sony is testing hundreds of games, they're more likely to make mistakes about it than the publisher who tests only theirs.

Considering the concern and FUD that runs rampant with this and Sony, I find that to be a tall ask.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
There is definitely something to these claims. As I mentioned in the PT compatibility thread, the new https://library.playstation.com web site has an API which can query the BC compatibility of PS4 games.

If you put in some of these games they return a state of bootable rather than compatible:

Star Trek Bridge Crew
nUQy5EB.png

AiNBsba.png

PSTV5BE.png

Someone did that and confirmed the list of 10--it's the tweet that's been floating around.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
could the PSVR ones be because you can't use PSVR without an adapter and they're just covering themselves? Bridge Crew is a pretty popular title so thats a big miss if they don't patch it.

Also calls into question the clear statement Sony put out and makes you inevitably wonder what else might pop up from other publishers

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Star Trek Bridge Crew
nUQy5EB.png

AiNBsba.png

PSTV5BE.png

Could you check Kingdom Hearts games for me pls?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If the individual game pages say they work, then there's no reason to doubt that.
We have had confirmation of that 10. Ubisoft bears the burden of proof here based on that alone.
Or Ubisoft is incorrect.
Ubisoft has never had crystal clear messaging but suddenly--with this--it's believable?

And Sony, as the manufacturer of the console, likely knows way more about that.

A statement from Ubisoft today about their own games shouldn't be brushed aside.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not if the games are a poor representation of what was intended. The games might have run like absolute garbage as far as we know. Ubisoft's name is attached to the software.

I'm sure Sony would've put it on the incompatible list if it ran like garbage and had tonnes of unplayable issues. Regardless, Sony and Ubisoft's messaging is conflicting, we'll just have to wait until either clarifies further.