• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The awesome people over at http://www.massgate.org/ took it upon themselves to maintain the online experience of the game and build a community around it, a journey that started in 2015. Their efforts and passion have inspired us to give back to you, the community, and what better time to do so. World in Conflict is currently free until December 23rd, head over to www.ubisoft.com/happyplaydays to redeem it now.

To continue the holiday celebration we are extremely excited to go one step further and share the open source for Massgate in the link below!

https://github.com/ubisoftinc/massgate

Note that this is not the game, but rather the backend that will allow you to recreate the online multiplayer.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1812251

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly amazing. That should be what all developers should do when they decide to shut down their multiplayer servers. Just release the code for the servers and let the community maintain it.

FrequentFlyer

Banned
Dec 3, 2017
I wish there would be a sequel, but I presume Massive has moved on from RTS. While I really only ever played the campaign(s), it's probably still one of my favorite RTS because of how great it was. Don't think anything in an RTS (with no "separate" story part like SCII) affected me as much emotionally as this game did with the nuke part in the story.

Deleted member 5167

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really cool of Ubi.
The cynic in me says that its only because they obviously no longer have any commercial interests in RTSes as the only reason they're doing this, but then plenty of other publishers have obviously abandoned genres without ever providing pseudo-support for legacy titles, so kudos are still deserved.

Oct 28, 2017
I wish this would become standard practice for servers with proprietary back-ends. I know you can't really do it with something like GameSpy but it would be interesting for a game like Darkspore.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a great move, and even better due to the fact the game itself is a fantastic and unique RTS. Nothing else like it.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Ubisoft has been killing it this year. Ghost Recon: Wildlands' amazing free content, the redemption of The Division, AC:O's quality, and now this.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
This is really cool to see a company doing this, Ubisoft have been doing a lot of good things lately.
Wouldn't mind if other companies did similar with some of their RTS franchises that are just dormant.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft has been killing it this year. Ghost Recon: Wildlands' amazing free content, the redemption of The Division, AC:O's quality, and now this.

They are doing good job since 2016. R6Siege had great support even for Year 1, Watch Dogs 2 also had good support.

Joezie

Nov 6, 2017
Fantastic news to hear. Hopefully more developers take note of such moves in the future for multiplayer going forward.