stormfire

Banned
Nov 26, 2018
Ubisoft doesn't want to be as reliant on AAA game releases as it has in the past, and will instead look more closely at free-to-play games and its back catalog to make money.

"We said for a number of years that our normal template is to come with either three or four AAA games, so we'll stick to that plan for fiscal 2022," said CFO Frederick Duguet. "But we see that we are progressively, continuously moving from a model that used to be only focused on AAA releases to a model where we have a combination of strong releases from AAA and strong back catalog dynamics, but also complimenting our program of new releases with free-to-play and other premium experiences."

He went on to specify that the company had a number of titles, AAA and otherwise, in the pipeline, naming Far Cry 6, Rainbow Six Quarantine, Skull & Bones, Riders Republic, the Prince of Persia: Sands of Time remake, and Roller Champions. He also nodded to a previously-announced Assassin's Creed mobile game planned to come to China with the help of Ubisoft investor Tencent, which he said was a part of the company ramping up its investment and interest in free-to-play games, especially on mobile. Mobile currently makes up about 9% of the company's total business.

"In fiscal 2022, we will continue our evolution from a AAA release-centric model toward a model where AAA stands alongside new premium and free-to-play innovative experiences across platforms," Duguet said. "These diverse experiences will feed on each other through complementary gameplay and business models."

www.ign.com

Ubisoft Moving Away From Reliance on AAA Releases - IGN

Ubisoft doesn't want to be as reliant on AAA game releases as it has in the past, and will instead looking more closely at free-to-play games and its back catalog to make money.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
I sure would like a new Rayman game in that case please? 😔

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020
Can't wait for Ubisoft to announce a new Splinter Cell game that turns out to be a gacha title.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Basically what Capcom does. Release 1 or 2 AAA games a year and combining that with smaller titles and ports.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
This is good. I feel like ubi's best efforts this gen came from "AA" games. Focus on back catalog is also good, I hope they'll port everything

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I think people may be replying to the title instead of the OP lol.

"In fiscal 2022, we will continue our evolution from a AAA release-centric model toward a model where AAA stands alongside new premium and free-to-play innovative experiences across platforms," Duguet said. "These diverse experiences will feed on each other through complementary gameplay and business models."
Moving away from reliance on AAA... to reliance on AAA, mobile, and chasing Fortnite/CoD: Warzone

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Yeah, this doesn't read as "good" to me. The way I'm reading this, they're literally saying they're going to make fewer AAA games, increase the number of ports from their back-catalog, and emphasize free-to-play more.

Is any of that good?

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
confused as to what part of this news is good. They already do a lot of updates for their live service titles, and more f2p titles from ubisoft especially dont instil confidence in me whatsoever.
"In fiscal 2022, we will continue our evolution from a AAA release-centric model toward a model where AAA stands alongside new premium and free-to-play innovative experiences across platforms"

Other premium experiences refer here to AA games basically.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Looking at F2P probably means little impact on their support studios I guess (hope), as they require lots of support, but yeah with their size I do worry still, you probably don't need 20K employees and 40 or whatever it is studios if you are moving away from multiple AAA games every year.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
"In fiscal 2022, we will continue our evolution from a AAA release-centric model toward a model where AAA stands alongside new premium and free-to-play innovative experiences across platforms"

Other premium experiences refer here to AA games basically.

"Other premium experiences" is more than likely a reference to expandering their mobile game market, which is even mentioned in the article later on.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I feel like this is a reaction to how they had Watch Dogs, AC and Immortals completely on top of each other once they finally released. If this means AAA titles get more dev time and room to breathe then great.

But I'm still not buying any of their games.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
"Other premium experiences" is more than likely a reference to expandering their mobile game market, which is even mentioned in the article later on.
Premium is the term used by companies to refer to non-F2P game. So it probably doesn't include mobile game as the viable business model on that space is to go F2P.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like the Ubi titles for the rest of the year to March 2022 have all already been revealed in Far Cry, Riders' Republic and Rainbow Six Quarantine.

Obviously we know they have other titles like Prince of Persia Remake and maybe there is also room for something else small like Mario + Rabbids. But I think this is the earliest out we have ever known Ubisoft titles for fall as they usually pop up like a dime a dozen.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
I presume this is due to them having lower profit margins then some of their peers despite very healthy revenue

Fiksi

Oct 27, 2017
If it finally gets us a Rayman collection I'm down :D As far as I know 1 and 2 are not available on any modern consoles.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Would suck if this affects any future Assassin's creed games. Really love Valhalla and especially Odyssey.
AC will be fine, it's a massive series that's doing super well. Far Cry and Tom Clancy stuff too I think will be fine, TC will probably be a mix of AAA and F2P though maybe, as it'd do well in either model. It will probably affect the rest and new AAA I.P I'd bet.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I think people may be replying to the title instead of the OP lol.

Moving away from reliance on AAA... to reliance on AAA, mobile, and chasing Fortnite/CoD: Warzone
Yeah that's how I read it. They're not making less AAA titles they're just doing other stuff as well.

Hopefully the F2P stuff will be better than that FPS game they released last year that I've already forgotten the name of!

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I mean... They've released like a thousand AAA games in the span of a year. Some of them were great, some of them were okay, some of them were pretty terrible. There's no way a format like this can be that worth for them. This is the right move, IMO (and I still want them to keep using existing franchises, just don't pump them as fast as big as they are now).

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm up for more classic remasters, but not interested in F2P personally

There are enough massive F2P time sinks that tug on your sleeve begging for money every 5 mins already

If they still put out a good few AAA games each year, and they're able to make them better with this approach, then this is probably a good thing

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think Ubis best output are their big games so this isnt good news to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this just the natural progression of the industry? AAA games take too long to make, it's an impossible task to bank your business on products that take 3-5 years minimum to make. The amount of new IP/AAA franchises will only dwindle, just as it did last generation.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to see more games like Child of Light, Rayman Legends, Mario + Rabbids... But I don't think that's what this is referring to.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
They can start by patching all their back catalogue AC, WD and FC games on the new consoles to run at 60fps.