• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Is the industry struggling significantly? Or is it the typical "let's cut costs even though we're making record profits"?

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Execs and investors very happy today I guess. Their routine blood sacrifice is called for.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know it's end of Q3 but end of month layoffs are especially cruel, especially in the US. Good luck to all those impacted, this shit sucks.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I think SpacePrez was impacted by the Hearthstone layoffs this week, and not as a new round of layoffs at Blizzard today. He was a gameplay engineer on the Hearthstone Battlegrounds team

Yurei

Feb 28, 2023
It's wild to me that we can simultaneously have one of the greatest years ever for high quality games releasing at all sizes and scopes. And be the year with the most amount gaming and tech layoffs I've ever seen.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This feels like one of the more active quarter ends (and not in a good way).
As others have mentioned, it sucks to see this in a year when there were so many "wins" out there for various devs and publishers.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Is the industry struggling significantly? Or is it the typical "let's cut costs even though we're making record profits"?
Infinite growth baby
ogKuUILm8rYp.gif

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
More* layoffs, you mean. Ubisoft has had a few rounds recently. I worked there for four years until May when I logged into work one random Wednesday and found out that I and my whole team were getting axed the next day.

I just this week found another job. It's been terrifying since I have a one year-old. My new job is a much better one, though, with much higher pay, so it all worked out in the end.

Fiscal year end ya'll...
(9/30 for most orgs)
Ubi's fiscal year ends in March.