AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
www.theguardian.com

UK and EU agree Brexit trade deal

No 10 says ‘we have taken back control’, after years of talks end in settlement allowing tariff-free trade in goods

The agreement avoids a no-deal exit that the Office for Budget Responsibility had warned would reduce Britain's economic output by £40bn in 2021 and cost more than 300,000 jobs.

The UK left the EU on 31 January but has benefited from continued membership of the single market and customs union over the last year, with British citizens retaining the right to freedom of movement around the bloc.

Businesses will face extra paperwork and costs when trading with the UK's biggest export market. Freedom of movement for most UK nationals will end, with restrictions imposed on stays in EU member states. As a "third country" to the EU, coronavirus travel restrictions could be imposed on UK nationals as of 1 January.

The agreement will nevertheless be a matter of huge relief to millions of people on both sides, four and a half years since the UK decided to leave the EU in June 2016. The negotiations, staged in Brussels and London, had weaved precariously through a pandemic, appearing doomed to failure at several points.

Only two weeks ago, Johnson told the cabinet to prepare for a no-deal exit, warning the public that such an eventuality was "very, very likely".

thank god, at least it's not no deal
Lock if old

Last edited:

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great deal. The best. The very, very best. A stellar achievement, really. All that was promised, anywhere, at any time, by anyone, has been delivered with this great, great, great deal.

Oct 28, 2017
Thank christ - no deal would have been an utter disaster. Would rather we'd stayed in the EU, but this is better than no deal at the very least.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see where the UK conceded and what kind of fucked we are.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Cant find the tweet now but I think someone from the WSJ said its the first trade deal in history which makes things harder, not easier.

Sounds about right for the past 4 years.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
EU speech is heavy on the bitter regret tinged with relief that this process has ended

Expecting it to be a deep contrast from Downing Street

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Will wait to see the detail but thank god there is some sort of deal for both the UK and EU.

The pound is loving life at the mo, nice Christmas present along with the snow today for such a SHITE year.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Now to watch the brexit idiots meltdowns as they realise that all they got out of this shitshow was to lose the only power they actually held to change eu rules and laws and now have to jump through more hoops to go on holiday to Spain etc every year......can't wait to see how badly the EU owned the UK in this, need to know how dumb the tories were for thinking they could steamroll every other member of the EU on the belief that everyone wanted to buy our jam....

And I expect fuckface farage will be on the BBC non stop from tonight complaining how bad the deal is despite him not once having a solid suggestion for a deal or how to effectly get one from the moment his stupid leave idea became mainstream thanks to the stupid media here.

Deleted member 10193

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any deal is going to be worse than the one we already had...... having said that I'm relieved. This year has taken it's toll on my mental and physical health, I don't think I could have coped with no deal Brexit too.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
restrictions of freedom of movement? The gammons in Spain won't like that.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Usual distrust of the Tories and BoJo aside, I'm reeeeeal interested in the particulars of this deal, and how much the UK capitulated on.
Stuff relating to the Financial sector is especially interesting, given that its:
1. A massive employer and source of the UK's revenue.
2. The sector I currently work in.

Of course, banks don't make as good reading as fishing boats and car manufacturers, so I suspect I'll have to go hunting for the info.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
But what about the disaster capitalists that were shorting Stirling?
They lose out, that's the only benefit of this.

This is good news but it's all relative, the cost of the last 4 years has been immense and we are yet to be shown a single material benefit of leaving the EU. It's only good news relative to avoiding a no deal exit. Of course, over the coming days we will see the compromises in the deal that ultimately benefit nobody when compared to the current status.

In essence, it's the worst diplomatic deal in modern history given that it's a downgrade all around.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
A No.10 spokesman said: "The Deal is done. Everything that the British public was promised during the 2016 referendum and in the general election last year is delivered by this deal.

So we are going to get an extra 350 million a week and a further increase in racism and xenophobia. Great news.

WolfForager

Oct 27, 2017
The UK: "We have gotten all we set out to achieve, no red lines crossed, sovereignty regained, rule Britannia."

The EU: "Best deal for everyone, this is a sad day, we work better together than apart."

You can already tell that the UK got rail roaded.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
Usual distrust of the Tories and BoJo aside, I'm reeeeeal interested in the particulars of this deal, and how much the UK capitulated on.
Stuff relating to the Financial sector is especially interesting, given that its:

Of course, banks don't make as good reading as fishing boats and car manufacturers, so I suspect I'll have to go hunting for the info.
Yep its been awfully quiet, and what it seems like the EU care more about...than fish.

Ahaha all questions about the UK actually respecting the deal...

killer_clank

Oct 25, 2017
I assume this means customs? So they'll still be subject to EU rules but with no say in them. How can that even be considered a win to them?

the UK wouldn't have signed the deal if they had to match EU regulations exactly. There'll be a dispute mechanism built into the deal that can introduce tariffs or barriers if either side is seen to diverge too far

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
It's not over. It's just the beginning. The arbitration mechanism will (not) be fun to see how that plays out.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
*waiting to die inside once Boris' press conference starts*
5d377fbc8d6642172d581092

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I understand passporting has gone ages ago