• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's not about having a grudge, just loss of interest

exactly. personally i have no bitter resentment towards rise of the tomb raider or the franchise due to the xbox times exclusivity deal. now, making it timed exclusive WAS a dumb thing to do in the long run, but i was fine waiting. thing is, a year passed, better games released in the meantime, and so by the time it came out on PS4 i had moved on. any interest in playing the game had almost entirely died by that point. not to mention having to pay full price for a game that was a year old. and so even after a year i STILL didn't buy it...eventually i picked it up for £10 about 6 months later, it sat on my shelf for another 6 months and THEN i eventually played it.

that entire process made me realise i'm not all that into the new tomb raider games. if i can go upwards of 2 years without playing laras latest outing it's clearly not something i'm in any rush to play. and that mindset is true for shadow of the tomb raider too. i'll buy it and play it when it's cheap. there are better games to be playing in the meantime anyway so it's not like i'm missing out.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't know why you keep saying it sold well when I already told you it's down by 4 million from the last game.
Because (per Square reports) it had sold 5-6 million before the remaster and that climbed to 11 after the remaster

https://www.pcgamer.com/tomb-raider-reboot-has-sold-85-million-copies/

https://www.destructoid.com/the-las...ve-combined-for-18-million-sales-475179.phtml

Before the remaster was released Rise outsold the 2013 reboot easily, and in less time.

That's exactly what I mean by: I don't accept trust me I'm telling you this as a valid argument for anything.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
exactly. personally i have no bitter resentment towards rise of the tomb raider or the franchise. making it timed exclusive was a dumb thing to do in the long run, but i happily waited. thing is, a year passed, better games released in the meantime, and so by the time it came out on PS4 i had moved on. any interest in playing the game had almost entirely died by that point. not to mention having to pay full price for a game that was a year old. and so even after a year i STILL didn't buy it...eventually i picked it up for £10 about 6 months later, it sat on my shelf for another 6 months and THEN i eventually played it.

that entire process made me realise i'm not all that into the new tomb raider games. if i can go upwards of 2 years without playing laras latest outing it's clearly not something i'm in any rush to play. and that mindset is true for shadow of the tomb raider too. i'll buy it and play it when it's cheap. there are better games to be playing in the meantime anyway so it's not like i'm missing out.
lol thats exactly what happened to me . and i will do the same for shadow. i will buy it for sure but in no rush at all. but if Rise would have released in 2015 where i had only 2 games to play(Dying light and MGS5) i would have been all over it day 1

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Because (per Square reports) it had sold 5-6 million before the remaster and that climbed to 11 after the remaster

https://www.pcgamer.com/tomb-raider-reboot-has-sold-85-million-copies/

https://www.destructoid.com/the-las...ve-combined-for-18-million-sales-475179.phtml

Before the remaster was released Rise outsold the 2013 reboot easily, and in less time.

That's exactly what I mean by: I don't accept trust me I'm telling you this as a valid argument for anything.

Those links are only talking about SE was expecting 5-6 million from the first game first month sales and not just 3.4 million, compared to rise which only sold 1 million and you can see it's down, if you want more evidence about how bad the exclusivity is just compare the sales of the 2013 and 2015 games on PC and see the massive difference.

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Rise sold very well on it. If they lost interest after playing Rise then it already invalides the point that the exclusivity had anything to do with it.

It sold well.....because there was a 15 mil. more PS4s from X1 version release til PS4 release year later. If X1 version did sold well ( it didn't during launch month ), explain me why PC was released eariler and why PS4 version was announced earlier then it should?

bombshell

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
the game is still selling faster than Rise

This is some MS PR mastery spin.

With the quoted numbers below we can see that Rise sold 36k in launch week on XB1 while Shadow XB1 only sold 19k. Are you saying that if Rise launched day 1 on PS4 that version would have sold less than 16k (52k-36k) in launch week?

That the PS4 version of Shadow sold less than the XB1 version of Rise is also strong evidence that it is not selling nearly as well as Rise since PS4 versions always handily outsells equivalent XB1 in UK.

Tomb Raider (ALL) - 185,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 42,000

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 36,000
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox 360) - 6,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (ALL) - 52,000

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PlayStation 4) - 33,000
Shadow of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 19,000

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They were practically announced before the game was even out on Xbone.

Still makes no sense, why would Shadow of tomb raider sales be hurt by the temp exclusivity when Rise didn't?

Why did FFVIII outsell FFVII originally if FFVII was more popular? The effects on games in a franchise aren't always obvious in that game but sometimes the next one.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Some folks really are the worse kind of gamers sometimes, especially those who prefer to acknowledge their 'gut feelings' over somebody who works in sales — as their job — in real life.

Okie dokie. As you will.

If I remember correctly, this very same person was happily spreading misinformation about why and how Spider-Man came to be an exclusive on the PlayStation 4.

Who corrected him?

None other than somebody who works for Insomniac Games.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I will say this board would be a much better place if it stopped taking anything every insider says as gospel. Specially when it comes to use the data they have to fill data they can't possibly have.

Oh look this insider said it is and you must not dare question him is never a good argument.

Hence why I said practically announced.

You don't see timed exclusive PS4 games announced they were timed way before launch. Games like Nier, Crash and many others were treated as full exclusives and no one questioned that.

Rise didn't have that luxury, despite not having a date, it was confirmed that it would come to PS4 at some point.
Yeah, I much prefer gut feelings and total asspulls to data driven discussion.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Tomb Raider is such a brain dead game. Even worse than Uncharted. First game was 'meh', stopped 1/3 in for the second, and am not touching that third game with a ten foot pole.

Spiderman on the other hand I have completed for like 90% of the trophies. Great game.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Didn't he say that even after that he still didn't believe the deal happened in that way? lol
there are type of people that only accept the reality as how they imagine it in their own heads. no amount of proof can change that . so even if they show him a clip of how the meeting went in insomniac ,he would find an excuse to dismiss it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm saying pinning it as the sole reason, or even trying to say it had any negative impact, completely ignoring the other variables is wrong.

What I'm saying is: There was a lot of negative points against this game selling well, yet they are all being ignored and pinned solely due the exclusivity despite showing not a slimmer of data that supports this is actually the case

I wouldn't say it's the sole reason either....but it definitely changed the course of the franchise and I think that's what everyone is trying to say. The game limited its previous (and in some ways, it's most supportive) audience which allowed them to look elsewhere thus causing people to not need it or care any further. That seems to be the case. As time goes on, flaws of the game start to show and overall interest for the game wanes. So all in all, the overall consensus of that is, yes and exclusive deal can absolutely mess with the reputation of the franchise and that's what happened. Bad timing, bad deal...it's like the whole thing shouldn't have happened. Games that otherwise wouldn't have gotten that attention did and it is what it is. There was so much fire and envy about it that I think a ton of people unconsciously wrote it off.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Wow even people here are blaming xbox for its low sales? Cmon.

Maybe people are tired of the rebooted trilogy...

Ive even read nonsense that TR should be exclusive to PS again lol...

What are you talking about ?
We are blaming Square Enix's poor decisions.

The exclusive deal did affect the momentum the franchise gained with Tomb Raider 2013, because of Square.
MS got a good deal with this, nothing to blame here.

But Shadow's performance is consequence of several factors including a poor release date

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Didn't Rise sell really well? Like, 5+ Million lifetime or something like that? It also reviewed well. I doubt it or the Xbox exclusivity really hurt this game. It seems more likely that it was a poor reveal/marketing, people being tired of the formula (which admittedly hasn't changed much here), and having much lower reviews (like 78 MC, compared to 85+ for the first two), along with releasing in such close proximity to Spider-Man (people only got so much time and money, and Spidey had ridiculous hype/marketing compared to TR) were what did in Shadow. Isn't all of that more likely than "Xbox killed TR, lul"?

II JumPeR I

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What are you talking about ?
We are blaming Square Enix's poor decisions.

The exclusive deal did affect the momentum the franchise gained with Tomb Raider 2013, because of Square.
MS got a good deal with this, nothing to blame here.

But Shadow's performance is consequence of several factors including a poor release date
I mean i agree that the Rise deal was stupid (game wasnt that great at the end IMO).

I dont think the deal had a big effect. I think people just want a more classic like Tomb Raider and Lara Croft back. And i cant blame em. I like Shadow, its better than Rise for me but its still not like good old tomb raider.

But i have the feeling this franchise will be on hold for now :/ Dont know why.

Didn't Rise sell really well? Like, 5+ Million lifetime or something like that? It also reviewed well. I doubt it or the Xbox exclusivity really hurt this game. It seems more likely that it was a poor reveal/marketing, people being tired of the formula (which admittedly hasn't changed much here), and having much lower reviews (like 78 MC, compared to 85+ for the first two), along with releasing in such close proximity to Spider-Man (people only got so much time and money, and Spidey had ridiculous hype/marketing compared to TR) were what did in Shadow. Isn't all of that more likely than "Xbox killed TR, lul"?
Agree. Folks put way to much weight on the Rise deal. Hell that deal is now what, 2-3 years past us. I really doubt the casual crowd will remeber that exclusive deal now.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He has the sales data, unless he has interviewed people not buying Shadow but that bought any of the previous titles saying they are not buying because of exclusivity is a ludicrous claim, specially when there are way more palpable reasons why that might be the case:

- Rise wasn't as well regarded among players
- Shadow was the worst received critically, both in previews and reviews
- Shadow also received controversy due the whole "white girl saves the day for people of color"
- The marketing was way below the marketing muscle MS put on Rise
- Shadow launched within a week from the biggest game of the year thus far

And yet the game is still selling faster than Rise, when other games that had way less going against them ended up selling worse than the predecessors (Watchdogs 2 and Gears of War 4 comes to mind) But none of this matters, it must be because the previous one was exclusive even though I have no data to support this, trust my gut feeling.

Yeah, no... The ones defending the exclusivity had anything to do will have to show more data than that.

Some of the things you've listed I'm sure have an element of truth to them, but others are somewhat misplaced.

1. The game is only selling faster than Rise (by a meagre 25%) by virtue of being a multiplatform title this time instead of an Xbox exclusive. Sales on the Xbox One are actually down by around 50%.

2. Spider-Man is a PS4 exclusive, hence doesn't really impact Xbox One owners in nearly as much of an appreciable way. Ultimately Xbox One sales accounted for 37% of the split, which is roughly in line with the install base split. Were Spider-Man the key diminishing factor, the PS4 sales split would have likely been lower given Spider-Man is after all a PS4 exclusive.

3. Ultimately I don't think people are suggesting timed exclusivity is the only factor, but possibly one of them, the other predominant one being simple franchise fatigue, coupled with a lack of marketing.

Timed exclusivity on the platform with by far the smallest install base can have an impact on marketing and brand or franchise perception. If you are initially exclusive to the console with the lowest install base, automatically you're not only missing out on selling to the largest demographic of console gamers, but also targeting that said demographic in marketing, and naturally that can affect the wider perception or recognition of your franchise. There'd literally be far fewer people who were aware of, talking about or hyped for it by virtue of the split and marketing, and that can carry on to any sequel in terms of prolonged diminished brand or franchise perception.

4. This is not the only example of a title where previous exclusivity to the platform with the much smaller install base has led to less stellar sales of an eventual sequel. See Titanfall and Titanfall 2. The latter was also a sales disappointment in comparison to the former, and may or may not have been privy to a slight negative longterm mindshare and marketing impact from initially being exclusive to the Xbox One. You could even argue it was a similar thing going from Dead Rising 3 to Dead Rising 4, which Capcom stated underperformed despite the change from being exclusive to multiplatform.

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean i agree that the Rise deal was stupid (game wasnt that great at the end IMO).

I dont think the deal had a big effect. I think people just want a more classic like Tomb Raider and Lara Croft back. And i cant blame em. I like Shadow, its better than Rise for me but its still not like good old tomb raider.
Actually its a mix of many factors who make Lara declin with time. The Xbox exclusivity for Rise was one of then as our insider posted. You can add that the bad choises from release date for both Rise and Shadow, problems with input lag with imo put some gamers really far from this game, plot of triology, etc...
All of then, not necessary one, make the brand lost the attetion for years.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
I will say this board would be a much better place if it stopped taking anything every insider says as gospel. Specially when it comes to use the data they have to fill data they can't possibly have.

Oh look this insider said it is and you must not dare question him is never a good argument.

Hence why I said practically announced.

You don't see timed exclusive PS4 games announced they were timed way before launch. Games like Nier, Crash and many others were treated as full exclusives and no one questioned that.

Rise didn't have that luxury, despite not having a date, it was confirmed that it would come to PS4 at some point.

The reason Crash and Nier were treated as exclusives is because the message was clear day one it wasn't coming to other consoles not even hinting about the foreseeable future, however when MS announced Rise it was some weird double speak "Coming exclusively to Xbox, Fall 2016". People were asking what the hell that comma and Xbox* meant, it didn't help that the interviews and SE's own blog made things worse to the point they felt they were forced to announce the other versions ahead of time after that PR fuck up.

If they announced that it was coming first to Xbox, they would have received backlash but nowhere near the levels they did at the time.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
All this mental gimnastics people like Lukas and others have to do in order to deny the obvious stems from the one narrative mentality that is king in the respectives OT's (MS one being the main one), were disent is not accepted.

When they come out of their safe spaces into the real world of sales threads they're in for a shock that most can't accept.

Edit: Not only sales threads are a victim of this, just take a look at the Jimquisition's Shadow of the Tomb Raider review thread to see this in full effect. Soldiers banned left and right. And I say soldiers because one of them was bragging around here that he was banned for "defending Tomb Raider".

Last edited:

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Give me a full survival sim Tomb Raider, filled with exploration, fewer human enemies, more wild animals to fight and intricate, scary scenarios. Give me a very confident Lara, don't try to craft a cinematic story around her because, at least going by 2013 and Rise, they can't write for shit. The less friendly NPCs, the better.
Basically don't try to be Uncharted.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Can only speak for myself, but RotTR exclusivity definitely affected me buying the game and follow up.

I didn't feel burned by the exclusivity deal. I love TR and still plan to play them sometime. But by the time it came to PS4, there were already other fresh, big titles catching my attention compared to an older game and leapfrogging it in priority. So the franchise has kind of gotten put on the back burner for me, as new hype games keep releasing.

Give me a full survival sim Tomb Raider, filled with exploration, fewer human enemies, more wild animals to fight and intricate, scary scenarios. Give me a very confident Lara, don't try to craft a cinematic story around her because, at least going by 2013 and Rise, they can't write for shit. The less friendly NPCs, the better.
Basically don't try to be Uncharted.

I love this. Takes me back to the first PS1 game, which is still my favorite of all TR's.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I feel bad for Lara as a character. I really do. She had a good comeback with TR 2013, and just after that SE started the hurricane of horrible decisions.

First of all, as a PS user, it was not cool to see that stupid exclusivity deal. If you think that thing didn't have a huge impact on the brand, you're wrong buddy.

Second, RotTR was a decent back step from the first game. It was not a bad game overall, but almost had nothing new to offer. And don't get me started with how they're trying to make an Uncharted game instead of Tomb Raider, and they failed. All of these things destroyed the game IMO. That deal with Microsoft, decent amount of flaws in the game, such as poor writing, boring story and being a bad copy/paste of your rival in many aspects.

And now we have Shadow. God I can't find out, why the hell did SE choose Eidos for making this game. I've been playing Shadow for almost 8-10 hours. Writing and story stuff are still boring, but better than previous games, visuals are really good, and gameplay are pretty much the same, but 70-80% of the game was just exploring and finding some stupid collectibles, some dull side quest, and 7-8 good enemy encounters that I really enjoyed. But they're so fucking rare to find! Okay, I don't say more exploring and less action stuff is bad, but the way that this game offers exploring, is really, really not good. Its not rewarding, not enjoyable, just boring most of the time. And it's funny that Lara literally doesn't give a single damn about law of physics:

And animations in this game are hilarious sometimes. I mean, cut, cut, fucking cut every 10 seconds if you're in enemy encounter. The idea of cutting the camera this much, in a fast-paced action game like TR is just unacceptable. Even the moving animation for oil in this game is so weird, and imagine being the head of the studio that can't make a smooth animation for oil, and still saying TLoU II animations are fake.

Add a bad release date and awful marketing to all of those things that I've said. So Shadow, not doing so well is not a surprise I guess. SE ruined the game with bad decisions. Hope the next TR game will be a better game, in every aspects.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wow do people hate TR intensely!

You'd think this is a thread about Lightning Returns FFXIII!

I've personally very much enjoyed both the last two games, though Rise had more issues (including awful input lag on the Xbox One). Not sure I necessarily like Lara as a character (her old video game personalities and movie representations are better) as now she's just so dull and one note, and lacks the excitement of an actual Tomb Raider, that and the stories and writing in the new games are usually very meh, but generally the gameplay is fun and the sense of adventure great, which on the whole compensate for the former.

With all that said, I'm not immediately buying SotTR because because simply put, it looks a bit samey and there's just other more exciting looking stuff on the horizon, to the point where I can't justify a full priced purchase. Once it's on sale I'm there. But in the mean time Spider-Man, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Forza Horizon 4 are all far more enticing.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
They really should have launched this in June or July, or during a slow period Q1 2019.

I loved the first two, but Spider-Man took precedence. Will grab TR in a holiday sale.

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Just think Tomb Raider is a fine game, Havent played it yet. But i think many people are the same like me. I am intrested to play it. But not that hyped to pick it up day one with so many other games coming and knowing it will get some discounts the coming months and then pick it up.

Yup. This is me. I'll get it in the Spring 2019 steam sale if I have nothing to play then.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
For me personally it's a case of Rise being meh (bought it deep sale on PC and after playing some hours haven't had the inclination to continue, and this after rather enjoying 2013). Shadow just looks like more of the same really. With samey environments in every marketing screen to boot. With the story being pants there's not really a compelling reason the finish the trilogy, as I already have the gameplay loops it offers. I've just not been presented a reason to be invested in the character beyond "it's Lara Croft" kinda. There's not even humour or nostalgia beats. Maybe the bug will bite someday and I'll pick this up on a deep sale too. Won't be before I've got around to completing the last one though. And that for me is it's primary barrier. For most folk I know IRL it's the same.

No quarrel with those that love it for the formulas it offers, that it admittedly seems to refine here though. Enjoy.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me personally it's a case of Rise being meh (bought it deep sale on PC and after playing some hours haven't had the inclination to continue, and this after rather enjoying 2013). Shadow just looks like more of the same really. With samey environments in every marketing screen to boot. With the story being pants there's not really a compelling reason the finish the trilogy, as I already have the gameplay loops it offers. I've just not been presented a reason to be invested in the character beyond "it's Lara Croft" kinda. There's not even humour or nostalgia beats. Maybe the bug will bite someday and I'll pick this up on a deep sale too. Won't be before I've got around to completing the last one though. And that for me is it's primary barrier. For most folk I know IRL it's the same.

No quarrel with those that love it for the formulas it offers, that it admittedly seems to refine here though. Enjoy.

On the topic of samey environments, now that you mention it that is one element to the marketing that has definitely impaired my excitement or appeal towards the game somewhat.

In the trailers, demos etc, you're right, all that's really shown are jungle type environments, and tombs, towns etc on what looks like a single island. Whilst I hate to do so, compare that to the UC4 story trailer and it's just so much more diverse and visually and narratively distinguished. In that trailer you really get a sense of a globe trotting adventure. One scene is in some huge posh looking ornate auditorium, another a grand auction house, another in the Madagascan sahara, the next the cliff sides of Scotland, then a tropical paradisical sandy island and so on and so on. Shadow of the Tomb Raider's marketing and media lacks that sense of globe spanning adventure and diversity which Tomb Raider is actually known for, and I'm presuming the game does too. I'd imagine that sort of thing does mute its desirability and appeal comparative to the competition.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yup. This is me. I'll get it in the Spring 2019 steam sale if I have nothing to play then.

Pretty much this. Too much backlog already and TR just isn't that much of an amazing game to put ahead of the queue. Plus they discount these TR games like weeks after their launch it seems, so I'll wait for a lower price point.

Oct 30, 2017
So guys…
Back in the days of 1997 i really adored Tomb Raider 2, especially the Tibet levels. Just the sense of lonelyness, exploring uncharted terrains is something i still hold dearly today.
Now, which modern TR does come closest to this? Rise? Shadow?… or UC Lost Legacy?

Hated the characters and nonsense in the PS2 remakes…

Last edited:

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
So guys…
Back in the days of 1997 i really adored Tomb Raider, especially the Tibet levels. Just the sense of lonelyness, explorer uncharted terrains is something i still hold dearly today.
Now, which modern TR does come closest to this? Rise? Shadow?… or UC Lost Legacy?

Lost Legacy was closer to what I'd want out of a modern Tomb Raider compared to any of the games in the actual 'new' series. So if you haven't already, go and get Uncharted Lost Legacy.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

Yep. Don't personally care too much about the deal with Rise either way though I do see easily how it could hurt the momentum of the reboot by taking that deal.

The game just looks paint by numbers with the other two in the series. Extra tombs and more water sections doesn't scream day one. I'll get it eventually, but with AC:Odyssey, RDR2, and other upcoming titles.... I can wait a long time to pick up Shadow. YMMV.

Last edited:

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
The exclusivity of the first PS4/xb1 entry is still hurts githe series imo.

I have friends who only have a PS4 that played the 360 game who never jumped back in because by the time it got to PS4 they forgot it existed and then didn't find out until they were 2 games behind.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So guys…
Back in the days of 1997 i really adored Tomb Raider, especially the Tibet levels. Just the sense of lonelyness, explorer uncharted terrains is something i still hold dearly today.

Lara Croft Go.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So guys…
The Lost Legacy. Chloe Frazer is much closer to OG Lara than the person named Croft in the continuation of her own series.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On the topic of samey environments, now that you mention it that is one element to the marketing that has definitely impaired my excitement or appeal towards the game somewhat.

In the trailers, demos etc, you're right, all that's really shown are jungle type environments, and tombs, towns etc on what looks like a single island. Whilst I hate to do so, compare that to the UC4 story trailer and it's just so much more diverse and visually and narratively distinguished. In that trailer you really get a sense of a globe trotting adventure. One scene is in some huge posh looking ornate auditorium, another a grand auction house, another in the Madagascan sahara, the next the cliff sides of Scotland, then a tropical paradisical sandy island and so on and so on. Shadow of the Tomb Raider's marketing and media lacks that sense of globe spanning adventure and diversity which Tomb Raider is actually known for, and I'm presuming the game does too. I'd imagine that sort of thing does mute its desirability and appeal comparative to the competition.
I mean, reboot series are not happy go lucky globe trotting adventures, surely you know that? Uncharted games don't go for semi realism and grit like Tomb raider series, so the adventures are trying to be more grounded . Also While SoTR has the environmental variety theres more meat game wise than in UC games, tomb raiding/puzzles, hubs with side quests and more systematic approach to gameplay, so naturally the few locations you have are gonna be more fleshed out . In UC games the pacing is different, and while UC 4 is a lot slower it still mostly one objective at a given time .

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, reboot series are not happy go lucky globe trotting adventures, surely you know that? Uncharted games don't go for semi realism and grit like Tomb raider series, so the adventures are trying to be more grounded . Also While SoTR has the environmental variety theres more meat game wise than in UC games, tomb raiding/puzzles, hubs with side quests and more systematic approach to gameplay, so naturally the few locations you have are gonna be more fleshed out . In UC games the pacing is different, and while UC 4 is a lot slower it still mostly one objective at a given time .

No I appreciate that, but I'm saying in terms of marketing, appeal, reception and perception, I think that's one thing that works against the franchise, at least it does for me. There's only so many islands you can plunder before you start needing more environmental and narrative diversity or things start feeling a bit samey. Hell even the first game I felt had a touch more diversity in its marketed locations, what with snowy mountains, deep forests, Japanese villages etc.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
So guys…

There is nothing out there like those original Tomb Raiders.

Neither the TR reboots, nor the Uncharteds tap into what made those games classics.

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
Is it really hard for people to understand that TR had a chance to become the next big thing at the start of the generation with Rise instead it became an exclusive to the least popular console and a year old port on the most popular one?

Last edited:

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No I appreciate that, but I'm saying in terms of marketing, appeal, reception and perception, I think that's one thing that works against the franchise, at least it does for me. There's only so many islands you can plunder before you start needing more environmental and narrative diversity or things start feeling a bit samey. Hell even the first game I felt had a touch more diversity in its marketed locations, what with snowy mountains, deep forests, Japanese villages etc.
To me appeal is a bit different than uncharted imo, and I just finished first game . And AFAIK there's no deep forests and snowy mountains are just at the very end for like 20 min . Like you are stranded on an island and trying to survive , so aesthetic cohesion makes sense. I understand where you coming from, I just dont think Tomb raider goes for similar tone and environmental variety/pacing and just general game structure like uncharted games . Even tho on the surface they are quite similar

talkTOmyHAND

Banned
Aug 25, 2018

Well, IMO, TR2 was the the best in whole franchise. Loved the diversity of locations, Italy ( Venice ), China, Tibet, sunken ship and so on.