ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She wants a job in No 10 so bad, it's obvious. I wouldn't fault the entire BBC. Newsnight presenters are still really good.
I was about to say the same, I've stopped watching anything BBC News apart from PMQs and Newsnight. Newsnight is still tops but man I wish it invited less both-sided interviews.

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's just where I'm not awake properly yet, but this reads like a fucking advertisement for Boris Johnson https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53532709

Even in saying he's made mistakes they're trying to spin it in his favour. God I hate the BBC.

Boris Johnson doesn't tend to do remorse.

He is fond of looking on the bright side and moving forward. "Come on! Come on!" and "Fantastic, fantastic!" are the phrases you hear in public most frequently from his mouth.

Even some of his allies agree privately with his detractors that he is a politician for the good times, a spreader of cheer, rather than seeming like a statesman for a crisis.
🤮 Yeah, that must be it. He's just too much of an optimist to do remorse. Too much of a good-time guy to handle a crisis. Fuck me...

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's just where I'm not awake properly yet, but this reads like a fucking advertisement for Boris Johnson https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53532709

Even in saying he's made mistakes they're trying to spin it in his favour. God I hate the BBC.

That article is a complete disgrace. I wouldn't be surprised if Boris' people sent it to her to put her name on for "impartiality" because the only purpose it seems to serve is laundering his reputation.

EDIT: It's so damned weird since she actually makes an attempt to get solid answers from him in her interview, why gloss over that?? It's really hard to believe that the person asking questions in the interview is the same person writing this shite.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Really torn on whether or not to have my partner stay for a few days for my birthday next week. I live in a shared house and most of my housemates have given up on not having contact with relatives/sleeping over at people's etc, but I don't wanna be hypocritical as I've judged the shit out of everyone who has flouted the rules because they think one little exception won't hurt. Gahhh.

My housemates probably wouldn't mind (my partner used to live with us too), but I really should be consistent in my attitude to this. Doesn't feel right judging others who have stopped giving a shit if I do the same.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Everyone masked up in the Co-op today. Great stuff. Makes you wonder what would have happened if we had all done this 3 months ago...

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm I wonder if free weights will go back to normal pricing soon. Then again I expect loads will be on sale second hand :p

ps3ud0 8)

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I wish the free weights section in my gym was bigger. It's like 25% of the space and is definitely the most popular. Loads of space taken up by useless cardio stuff.

Yeah I was disappointed going into free weights as I couldn't get a bench. I thought it would be empty at 10am

Regarding covid had to do temperature check on entry as well as sanatise hands. lockers are split by 1 in between.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I was disappointed going into free weights as I couldn't get a bench. I thought it would be empty at 10am

Regarding covid had to do temperature check on entry as well as sanatise hands. lockers are split by 1 in between.
Nah, today will be super busy everywhere I think. If I go at all this week it's going to be late at night (mine are keeping 24 hour opening times).

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
Heard some macho tough guy talk in the gym today, guy was saying that we aren't scared of the flu so why should we be scared of this? Does my head in when people say stupid stuff like that.

Been hearing from my coworkers at Tesco there haven't been any problems with masks so far which I'm very happy about. The few complaints there have been are by co-workers which is disappointing.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
The mask order should have taken place months ago, heck even if it was as late as June we would have a lot less daily cases at this point.

My father is planning to visit next Friday as part of a stopover, I tested myself for Covid yesterday and am just waiting for the results so I'm hoping it's all okay by the time he arrives. If I test positive I'll tell him to stay away. Fingers crossed.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
It's making me angry mask use wasn't already compulsory this whole time since it seems (anecdotally from this thread) to be working well

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How are people dealing with grandparents seeing kids? Do you just make it your social bubble?

ps3ud0 8)

Dr Zhivago

Oct 27, 2017
Battlestar Potemkin
Plenty of masks in Sheffield today, although there was also a small group of conspiracy theorists.

The Towering Inferno is on TV, and no one's listening to the experts. I wonder how that will go?

Nomad Blue

Oct 30, 2017
Cardiff, UK
Hmm I wonder if free weights will go back to normal pricing soon. Then again I expect loads will be on sale second hand :p

ps3ud0 8)
Prices have been back to normal for a while, it's just availability that's been the issue. Fitness Superstore have tended to have stuff in stock pretty regularly though.

I've noticed zero change in mask use in Wales. Thanks Welsh government.
I've noticed a bit of an increase in usage in the couple of supermarkets and shops I go to, though I haven't been in to the city centre. I think they'll be mandatory here by mid-August, hopefully they'll make an announcement in Tuesday's briefing, and something about gyms opening back up too.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Everyone in Norwich today wearing masks inside. Not so much outside, but I suppose that's not the guidance.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone still wearing masks in the supermarket today in Edinburgh. None outside but lots of social distancing. I'm glad people are still taking this seriously, I kinda thought people would just get fed up instantly and stop.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Everyone still wearing masks in the supermarket today in Edinburgh. None outside but lots of social distancing. I'm glad people are still taking this seriously, I kinda thought people would just get fed up instantly and stop.
To be honest I think the knowledge that local lockdowns could happen and things we're able to do now could be rescinded is as much of a motivation as anything, but whatever works I guess!

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest I think the knowledge that local lockdowns could happen and things we're able to do now could be rescinded is as much of a motivation as anything, but whatever works I guess!

I've been really pleasantly surprised by the general level of sensibility over distancing, masks etc. Some exceptions, both locally here, and generally across the country, but it feels like the public at large have decided that, regardless of how fast the government wants to move, they will work at their pace and stay safe.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Take this with a pinch of salt: rumours I've heard from a few people that police are travelling in plain clothes on public transport, in order to catch people not wearing masks.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd be fuming if you're already over there and coming back any day now.

But then again I wouldn't have risked going.
I shouldn't laugh, but yeah anyone that was actually sensible wouldn't have jump on a flight. Especially with Portugal still on the quarantine list.

They knew what they were risking...

ps3ud0 8)

Dec 2, 2017
I've been in Liverpool for a few days now, mask wearing much more prevalent here than London, also queueing and hand sanitising. I've only seen a handful of people breaking the rule in fact.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The type of person that's rushed off on holiday to Spain isn't the type of person who will now willingly quarantine for 14 days because the rules changed while they were away.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm pretty sure most of these people won't be changing what they were planning to do.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
My cousin, who was pretty on the ball at the start of Covid (telling people to wear masks, travel as little as possible, maintain social distance etc.) has now gone completely the opposite way and is currently raving in a a small outdoor pavilion with a bunch of her friends, mainly because she "missed going to a festival this year". I'm not on FB but my wife has been arguing with her for the past week as she's been saying that it's not as bad as she originally thought and that wearing masks is ineffective with all of her dipshit mates ripping into anyone who tries to get a sensible point across. Fucking idiots.

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
Shame on my local paper (and probably all localised Newsquest publications) for publishing this shit.

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/n...disability-face-mask-exemptions-card-get-one/

That is not a legal thing, it is basically an advert for some 'charity' profiting off idiots too arrogant to save lives with a tiny bit of cloth. The fucking card looks like margarine packaging, too. The paper promoting this seem really, REALLY irresponsible to me.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I took the Tube into London today for the first time since March, and I was pleasantly surprised by both how quiet it was and how thoroughly people were wearing masks. I may have seen one mask off inside a shop (if that, with the noticeable exception of people inside Costa), and I think everyone I saw on the Tube was too (although there was one individual wearing it beneath their nose). Someone did go and sit down next to me and my partner, but we up and moved to a different part of the carriage, and had to get off at the next stop anyway.

In general the shops seemed very quiet, compared to my expectation. I'd be surprised if the footfall was even half of what it would be on a usual summer Saturday, despite (or especially because of) the inclement weather. Forbidden Planet, of all shops, seemed to have a queue outside it, mind.

I'm also very happy to report that despite disinfecting my hands probably at least a dozen times throughout the day they don't feel at all chapped or dry!

Last edited:

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Lots of talk about Spain on radio 5, people rushing to airport to get back, people calling in bitching how they have now lost their holiday they booked in August, booked as separates so not ATOL protected