Omoi

May 7, 2019
There are so many people I know (calling them friends would be stretching it) who treat overseas holidays as a non-negotiable privilege. One of our neighbours has previously complained to my wife that she was struggling to afford her mortgage and PCP car payments... but she'd also booked a £5k family holiday for next summer. It's a bizarre mindset.

My parents were pretty well-off for most of my childhood, but I definitely remember years we didn't go anywhere outside England.

I cannot even imagine dropping 5 grand on a holiday

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty easily done depending on how big your family is and where you're going.

Yup. Family of six here - four girls, two adults. We'd planned a self-catering holiday in Cornwall for this year, before all of this. For a week in a modest cottage, just off-season, we were looking at the thick end of £1,000. With travel there, travel around while we were in Cornwall, travel back and cash for stuff to do while we were there we were budgeting a bit under £2,000.

We'd considered France for our first overseas holiday as a family, but even restricting ourselves on travel and accommodation to the cheapest options, once we started adding things up there it started to creep up to £3,000-£4,000 which just wasn't affordable. I could imagine £5,000 vanishing fairly quickly on a holiday to Europe for families with 2-4 children, unless they were looking at doing bugger-all with the kids for a week in a foreign country.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty easily done depending on how big your family is and where you're going.

Very easily done if you have kids and have to go on holiday outside of term time. The prices literally double, it's disgusting.

Not that I've ever spent £5k on a holiday mind, but for my family (2 adults 2 kids), you can drop almost £2k just on accommodation in the UK for a week in certain places.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yup. Family of six here - four girls, two adults. We'd planned a self-catering holiday in Cornwall for this year, before all of this. For a week in a modest cottage, just off-season, we were looking at the thick end of £1,000. With travel there, travel around while we were in Cornwall, travel back and cash for stuff to do while we were there we were budgeting a bit under £2,000.

We'd considered France for our first overseas holiday as a family, but even restricting ourselves on travel and accommodation to the cheapest options, once we started adding things up there it started to creep up to £3,000-£4,000 which just wasn't affordable. I could imagine £5,000 vanishing fairly quickly on a holiday to Europe for families with 2-4 children, unless they were looking at doing bugger-all with the kids for a week in a foreign country.
It's having kids that does it. We have two, and holidays are a very expensive prospect. Four is a terrifying number (I kid).

My wife's parents have a place in Spain that we can use, which is great, but last year we looked at going somewhere else for variety's sake, and renting a house in France or visiting a nice resort in Greece or somewhere would both have been £4,000 trips. Our ten-day honeymoon to the Maldives only cost us £4,500 eight years ago.

One thing we're considering for next year is driving down to Cornwall or Devon, like you're doing, but splitting the cost of hiring a big house with some friends who have kids of a similar age. That way we can at least bring the accommodation cost down, and bigger houses tend to have more amenities like swimming pools, games rooms etc. Whether we can tolerate those friends for a full week is a different matter.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
My family (two adults, four kids) used to do two weeks all inclusive and it was eye-wateringly expensive. My parents used to save all year and it was the only time we went away.

I now understand why my Dad used to lose his shit when I'd just sit inside the hotel bar playing my Gameboy all day long...

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
My family (two adults, four kids) used to do two weeks all inclusive and it was eye-wateringly expensive. My parents used to save all year and it was the only time we went away.

I now understand why my Dad used to lose his shit when I'd just sit inside the hotel bar playing my Gameboy all day long...
I'm really not looking forward to the insular teenage phase. Luckily it's about a decade off for my kids, but I was a miserable bastard on a few family holidays when I was in my teens.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
www.gov.uk

New obesity strategy unveiled as country urged to lose weight to beat coronavirus (COVID-19) and protect the NHS

New package of measures and 'Better Health' campaign announced to help people lose weight.

But...my junk food deals!

I can't imagine mcdonalds/coca cola/et al. would be happy at all if they follow through with not being allowed to advertise junk food before 9pm. Not that I have a problem with it, but I would hardly be shocked if some money went under the table and they ended up getting exclusions...

16bits

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Not that I've ever spent £5k on a holiday mind, but for my family (2 adults 2 kids), you can drop almost £2k just on accommodation in the UK for a week in certain places.

But thats the rub, certain places you can drop £2k on one night.

No real holiday is worth spending 2k per week in the uk on accommodation, not unless you have reached a stage where money doesn't really matter anymore.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of sensible changes, kind of thing that should have been done a very long time ago and didn't thanks to idiots like Boris, of course, but here we are. Listing calories on alcoholic drinks is really sensible, I think a lot of people ignore the calorific value on the basis that the alcohol is the bad bit, but really it's just poison all the way down.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not opposed to this but they need to make sure that they are including provisions to keep the cost of healthier alternatives as low as possible.
People don't just eat junk food because it's cheap, they eat it because it's often cheaper than the alternatives and not taking that intro account just means changes like this will disproportionally hurt low income families.

The advertising rules and stuff are just good sensible changes that have been a long time coming.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many people I know (calling them friends would be stretching it) who treat overseas holidays as a non-negotiable privilege. One of our neighbours has previously complained to my wife that she was struggling to afford her mortgage and PCP car payments... but she'd also booked a £5k family holiday for next summer. It's a bizarre mindset.

My parents were pretty well-off for most of my childhood, but I definitely remember years we didn't go anywhere outside England.
I really hate seeing the same people on my Facebook moaning about how they're always skint, but MUST go on two holidays abroad each year to the other side of the world.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm really not looking forward to the insular teenage phase. Luckily it's about a decade off for my kids, but I was a miserable bastard on a few family holidays when I was in my teens.
Oh god me too. I just wanted to spend time with whatever girl I barely knew then that I was head over heels now.

As a guy in his late twenties living on his own, I would KILL for that level of holiday right now. Didn't know I was born.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god me too. I just wanted to spend time with whatever girl I barely knew then that I was head over heels now.

As a guy in his late twenties living on his own, I would KILL for that level of holiday right now. Didn't know I was born.
Yeah I was definitely shitty on holidays as a teenager and hated "family holidays."

Went on a family holiday with my mum and sisters last year to scatter my dad's ashes though and was surprised how much I enjoyed a family holiday as an adult with a family that are all adults lol 🤷‍♂️

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine mcdonalds/coca cola/et al. would be happy at all if they follow through with not being allowed to advertise junk food before 9pm. Not that I have a problem with it, but I would hardly be shocked if some money went under the table and they ended up getting exclusions...

They'll either manage to wrangle stuff like Coke Zero slipping through guidelines. Or they'll go the whole hog and come up with whole new formulations that don't class as junk food and put the Coke logo on top, so we know what they're really advertising.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
I loved my games as a kid, but when we were on holiday I would spend every available moment in the pool/sea. My daughters (14 & 18) both still adore the water too. Don't give up hope!

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
But thats the rub, certain places you can drop £2k on one night.

No real holiday is worth spending 2k per week in the uk on accommodation, not unless you have reached a stage where money doesn't really matter anymore.

Again this depends on how many are in your party and where you're going.

Last year 8 of us rented a house pretty much on the beach in Cornwall, it was just under 3k a week and was worth every penny. Beautiful fixtures and fittings, location was amazing and the owners were so helpful and accommodating.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I was lucky enough to go on an expensive-ish trip to the same place with my parents every year for about 13 years from 11 to 24 years old (god I would love to go again but life is in the way now), and looking back I can see my different approaches as I grew up because I've always been the early riser so I always had a few hours to myself.

First few years, I would play Game Boy/DS outside on a balcony or lounger until people got up. Fine, at least I'm enjoying the weather.

During teenage years I was always missing my friends and didn't want to spend too much time too close to family because I was a hormonal little shit, so I'd go somewhere with the nearest Wifi (this was back when free Wifi was semi-rare at hotels) and chat to them for a bit. Eventually I got a Kindle with free 3G web browsing and I have weirdly strong memories of trying to have a conversation on the awful built-in browser for hours on end, when the screen got all ghosted up and stuff.

The last few years of it, I took walks outside in the morning and just enjoyed where I was. I really, really didn't know how good I had it for those other years. On those walks I would go to a local coffee shop and bring nice coffee and breakfast back for everyone, or if someone else was up I'd invite them to come with me.

On the off-chance there are teenagers browsing around here, if you're lucky enough to be on a nice holiday with your parents please enjoy it and especially try to enjoy it with them. Part of me wishes I could go back and do them all right.

Hey, it's not my fault they took me to Spain just after Pokemon Gold came out...

Hahaha oh god I remember a family holiday in the USA when Pokemon Crystal came out there, we went to the store there day one to get it. It was like the highlight of my trip even though I didn't have much chance to play it until I got back as we were so busy.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
They'll either manage to wrangle stuff like Coke Zero slipping through guidelines.
There's really no reason things like Coke Zero shouldn't be excluded, beyond some scientifically ignorant pearl clutching about artificial sweeteners.

On the holiday thing... we never had family holidays (because we were working class / poor). I'll be honest, thinking from a perspective of a teenage kid, it sounds horrifying. I did sometimes go and stay with relatives, which wasn't too bad.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give anything to be warped back in time so I could have one more sullen teenaged holiday where I could play gba all day by the poolside (at least until it got dark, never got an sp) lol.

Last edited:

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
It's having kids that does it. We have two, and holidays are a very expensive prospect. Four is a terrifying number (I kid).

My wife's parents have a place in Spain that we can use, which is great, but last year we looked at going somewhere else for variety's sake, and renting a house in France or visiting a nice resort in Greece or somewhere would both have been £4,000 trips. Our ten-day honeymoon to the Maldives only cost us £4,500 eight years ago.

One thing we're considering for next year is driving down to Cornwall or Devon, like you're doing, but splitting the cost of hiring a big house with some friends who have kids of a similar age. That way we can at least bring the accommodation cost down, and bigger houses tend to have more amenities like swimming pools, games rooms etc. Whether we can tolerate those friends for a full week is a different matter.

Yeah, splitting the cost of a larger place would make sense, but unfortunately we don't have anyone we can do that with. I think if you plan to do stuff out and around Cornwall (and if places like the Eden Project, the various museums and attractions etc. are all re-opened fully/near-fully by next summer there is a lot to do, before you even touch on the beaches and other places to see) you'll spend less time stuck in a house with other people, so you can probably dodge that "OMG NOT ANOTHER HOUR WITH THESE FUCKERS" feeling :-D

Four is a terrifying number - and I've got four older stepchildren from my wife's previous marriage (though they are now all adults, so it's not quite the same)!

Ha! As an awkward teen, and a less-awkward parent, I can sympathise with both sides of the equation now. I've been taking our youngest kids out for trips and long walks since they were in nursery though, so I'm hoping that as they get older some of that early familiarity and enjoyment with going out and doing stuff will stick and family trips can be a reasonable balance between lazing about and actually doing stuff. We bagged our first Munro last week, and they're interested in doing another, so some of that early trekking about has paid off!

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Just last year it cost me £2.5k for a trip to Orlando including Flights, accommodation (Admittedly it was a Disney on-property hotel but only the Pop Century so not exactly the high end ones) and Disney/Universal park tickets.

That was for just me, a single adult.
I'd shudder to think how much that would've cost for 2 adults and 1 or 2 children.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just last year it cost me £2.5k for a trip to Orlando including Flights, accommodation (Admittedly it was a Disney on-property hotel but only the Pop Century so not exactly the high end ones) and Disney/Universal park tickets.

That was for just me, a single adult.
I'd shudder to think how much that would've cost for 2 adults and 1 or 2 children.

It's eye watering, I can tell you that much. These people who stay at the deluxe onsite hotels with their 2.5 kids are on some other level of financial freedom.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
You know, I hate to say it and there is probably an hidden catch, but I like BoJo spending time on this and kinda using corona to help bring this up as a problem.
As a fitness freak (well, I used to be before I got injured), not knowing how many calories are in an item on a menu meant that I very rarely ate out.

That said, I wouldn't expect them to be even vaguely accurate.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I like the renewed focus on tackling obesity - even if it's only come about due to his own experiences.

Although at least that shows that he can change his thoughts on things rather than ruling solely on ideology/self-belief.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always a bit conflicted about the ways we go about "tackling" obesity because a lot of it really just comes across as punishing poor people for a perceived lack of self control.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Can't advertise fast food before 9PM but gambling adverts are allowed all over the place. obviously obesity is a problem but gambling really needs to be tackled.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Who watches telly anymore? What about all the junk foods on Facebook and Instagram? Or on websites?
Such an analog solution for a digital problem.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Dec 2, 2017
I saw this in a service station yesterday which made me giggle

jgUA9PF.jpg

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see gambling TV adverts cracked down on in the next few years, guaranteed.

The government risked a significant increase in deaths by allowing Cheltenham to go ahead, they did it for gambling firms.

As with this 'obesity crackdown', there may be some vague soft measures brought in, but ultimately it will always be 'the problems are bad, but the causes are good'.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Don't worry, cycling will be prescribed to.combat obesity because there is of course zero financial barrier to overcome there and I expect those affected will be able to get a bike on prescription at the chemist. Absolutely. Lovely.

And of course everyone has commutes which are completely safe for cyclists, especially inexperienced ones. They are in no way made dangerous by having to share the road with hundreds of angry drivers who hate your guts.

You know what they say, we're a country of Cycle Lanes...

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hang on, let me finish my government funded McDonald's lunch as I'm eating out, while I digest this other government scheme about reducing obesity.

ps3ud0 8)