Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Until the advice from scientists all over Europe and North America changes, they're not going to shut schools. Like, you don't have to like it, but right now the scientific advice is to keep kids in school and shut down other things to see if that will keep the pandemic in check. France and Germany aren't doing the same thing as the UK is for a laugh.
don't forget the key words are "keep the pandemic in check". Current lockdown doesn't stop COVID.This means they are allowing a certain number tof people o be potentially exposed to the virus, and those people are schoolkids and their parents.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Hopefully when Sunak makes his statement today he actually gives us a clear answer on the Furlough situation after 2nd December for the devolved countries today.

Starting to become a joke that there is still no clear answer.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
don't forget the key words are "keep the pandemic in check". Current lockdown doesn't stop COVID.This means they are allowing a certain number tof people o be potentially exposed to the virus, and those people are schoolkids and their parents.
Schoolkids and their parents aren't at any additional risk because of this lockdown at least, right?

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
So radio 5 saying traffic levels are normal, and what you would expect for a Thursday

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Morale at work has taken yet another big hit this week it seems. I work at a uni so it's a constant stress and worry, the students don't seem to really care. It's going to be a long way until the end of the year.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Roads on the school run were jammed this morning. People wondering around town, like normal. And McDonalds was open. Did I miss something?

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I don't expect this lockdown to do much, like all the guidelines since this whole thing started it's wishy washy. Unenforceable social bubbles, rule of 6, 10pm curfews, recommending wearing masks, it's all too flimsy and open for dick heads to not follow.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
Never in my life have I been asked to do so much to help my country by doing so little.

I fully accept how incredibly difficult lockdown is for a lot of people out there for a variety of reasons, but for those of us who are privileged enough to be minimally affected by it, the very least we can do is honour the restrictions.

It's truly repugnant how selfish and callous certain swathes of the population are when they are asked to sacrifice a little for the greater good.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the town centre for a medical appointment and it's quiet, but a far cry from the opening scene of 28 Days Later things were in April. Traffic basically no different to normal. Most food shops and some others (e.g. WH Smiths) open and with customers.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Never in my life have I been asked to do so much to help my country by doing so little.

I fully accept how incredibly difficult lockdown is for a lot of people out there for a variety of reasons, but for those of us who are privileged enough to be minimally affected by it, the very least we can do is honour the restrictions.

It's truly repugnant how selfish and callous certain swathes of the population are when they are asked to sacrifice a little for the greater good.
Really well put, I could not agree more

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
My company has sent everyone (aside from myself since I'm still WFH for the foreseeable future) a letter to print off to claim that they're "critical workers" (I work for a television post production company).

I understand certain jobs in the company require being in the office, but the majority of the company can work perfectly fine from home through TeamViewer.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
Just been informed of a positive case in our kids nursery/school class. Have been asked to collect and keep them home for 14 days... keeping schools open was such a great idea!

None of us are feeling any symptoms yet, fingers crossed we don't get hit hard.

Last edited:

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
So many stores in Liverpool are offering click and collect which makes me think the streets are going to still be busy with people making "essential" shopping trips. It's more like Lockdown 2.0 diet

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent thread by George Monbiot, again. I believe schools should be open but it is criminal that the government have essentially done nothing to help them prepare and keep staff and students safe. All the while they are bunging their incompetent mates wads full of cash to fuck up our virus response.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent thread by George Monbiot, again. I believe schools should be open but it is criminal that the government have essentially done nothing to help them prepare and keep staff and students safe. All the while they are bunging their incompetent mates wads full of cash to fuck up our virus response.

Monbiot is a treasure - really appreciated his analysis through all of this.

Nomad Blue

Oct 30, 2017
Cardiff, UK
Honestly, based on Wales, don't expect much to change with people's behaviour. This very much didn't feel like a lockdown.

Have to disagree there, but I guess it's based on where you live and what's in your area. And I suppose what you were doing pre-lockdown so whether it had any impact on anything you used to do.

Have to say though, found this one much easier than the first. I guess it's due to having a fixed end date(and only being 17 days), knowing when everything will re-open, rather than it being extended every 3 weeks.

WelshBluebird

Jul 22, 2020
Supermarkets and Argos that is already "click and collect" at all times shouldn't be cutting jobs right now!

The main Argos stores have been on a downward trend for a while - it is part of the reason why the more recent strategy has been to open smaller outlets within Sainsbury's stores. Part of the announcement about closures also mentioned some more in store outlets - so it seems to me that they are just accelerating their already in place plan.
In terms of the jobs mentioned from Sainsbury's the supermarket, it sounds like those are related to deli / fish counters etc - parts of the store that in my experience are usually under used by shoppers in most supermarkets anyway. Obviously not good for the people whose jobs will be affected - but there's a little more going on here than just "supermarkets and argos shouldn't be cutting jobs".

For Argos, I wouldn't be shocked if the pandemic sped up Amazon eating their lunch. Sucks, but what can you do

Basically this too.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Have to disagree there, but I guess it's based on where you live and what's in your area. And I suppose what you were doing pre-lockdown so whether it had any impact on anything you used to do.
I'm not talking about my actions, I'm talking about people I've seen around in Cardiff and Newport. The high street, traffic levels etc.

Short of the pubs / restaurants closing, it felt like very little changed from the week before, not least in terms of people's behaviour. That said, obviously both Cardiff and Newport were in a form of local lockdown the weeks before this countrywide one.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
The only thing that's really changing for us from the past few months is no football training for our son two evenings a week and not taking our kids to see their grandparents, but that's only once a fortnight-ish. Everything else is the same.... the kids are at school, we're working from home (as we have been since March), and we get our shopping delivered (always have done). We did go out for a few family meals at our local, but it's not like that's a core part of our life. So it's kind of weird thinking we're in "lockdown" again, it feels nothing like it. In fact I would have forgotten if it wasn't for this thread.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm in the town centre for a medical appointment and it's quiet, but a far cry from the opening scene of 28 Days Later things were in April. Traffic basically no different to normal. Most food shops and some others (e.g. WH Smiths) open and with customers.
I don't think we'll ever see that level of desertion again - unless literal enforcement (read: army) is brought in. Back in March / April, this was all new, and people were rightly terrified. I remember making my first trip to the supermarket, once our frozen food run out, and stripping naked at the doorway when I got home, washing my clothes at stupid temperatures, and showering myself raw because I just didn't know.

The issue is that now people do know, and of course a lot of them have decided they know better. Obviously we don't understand COVID completely, but people now seem to feel confident that they can take matters into their own hands. And the blame for that can be laid directly at the government's doorstep as a result of inactivity, miscommunication, Cummings' eye test, and all that nonsense.

I'm adhering to the same strategy I have been seen March: just don't go out unless I absolutely have to - and then to mask up when I do. I'm lucky enough to run my business from home, my kids go to a small private school, and I can get everything I need delivered. The concessions I need to make to keep other people safe are so minor that I'd be incredibly callous not to make them.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend for a 6am train to work that was jam-packed. We're almost certainly going to be in this for longer than 4 weeks.
I mean, being real

Surely nobody expects it to last until Dec 2, then the christmas rush happens and we're back to square 1 again? England will 100% be in lockdown until after christmas, IMO. Scotland will follow shortly aswell once sunak refuses to acknowledge furlough at a later date.

However, the lack of compliance isn't surprising at all. People just don't care any more largely aided and abetted by the idiots in charge who think they are above the rules.

Oct 31, 2017

Well said

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
England will 100% be in lockdown until after christmas, IMO.

I'm not convinced tbh, any drop in cases / deaths by then (which there should be even if we have to extend this current lockdown by 2 weeks or whatever, and even if this is lockdown-lite) will give them their excuse to go back to the 3 Tier system, which is what they've said will happen. Then they can "save Christmas".

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, why in the hell is WHSmiths open? What's essential about that? Newspapers?

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Can't see that happening, this government will want people to spend as much money as possible over the festive season and suffer the consequences IMO
Yeah, I don't see it being extended.

Wales's figures over the next few days are going to be fascinating, as we're really overdue a significant drop here (assuming we believe the lockdown is working).

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Until the advice from scientists all over Europe and North America changes, they're not going to shut schools. Like, you don't have to like it, but right now the scientific advice is to keep kids in school and shut down other things to see if that will keep the pandemic in check. France and Germany aren't doing the same thing as the UK is for a laugh.

"See if it works" SEE IF IT WORKS?

We are way beyond the point where we could afford such an irresponsible mantra.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"See if it works" SEE IF IT WORKS?

We are way beyond the point where we could afford such an irresponsible mantra.

So what you're saying is they shouldn't listen to the scientists and doctors who have spent all their careers researching pandemics?I I'm sure the guidance wasn't provided lightly.
Yes, I could have chosen better wording, but that doesn't matter really.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
So what you're saying is they shouldn't listen to the scientists and doctors who have spent all their lives researching pandemics?

(some) scientists are saying the risk isn't big. And I am saying that that the governments should close down even minimal risk vectors.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
(some) scientists are saying the risk isn't big. And I am saying that that the governments should close down even minimal risk vectors.

*Some* here including multiple huge science agencies containing the people responsible for providing health guidance to all of the EU and North America. This isn't some fringe unqualified astrophysicist being asked for their opinion at random.

The big trouble, I assume admittedly almost baselessly, is the proverbial horse of getting the virus down to levels like Australia or New Zealand in most European nations bolted a long time ago, and getting to those levels is probably concluded to not be realistically feasible.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't see that happening, this government will want people to spend as much money as possible over the festive season and suffer the consequences IMO
What happens when cases are the same if not higher though?

"Well... we went into lockdown when the cases were lower and deaths were lower, but you know what guys, we're leaving lockdown at these higher rates... Guys? guys? Anyone with us here?"

I certainly think christmas day will have relaxed rules, because literally nobody will follow them anyway, but wether shops and stuff all re open before then? I'm not as confident. I have noticed (in scotland at least) a lot of places offering "Black week" etc, most likely fully expecting us to go into lockdown and not wanting to miss black friday sales.

Every other lockdown/restrictions have lasted longer than they claimed and the fact the've refused to rule out this, speaks volumes imo. I think it's extremely unlikely england opens up before xmas.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
*Some* here including multiple huge science agencies containing the people responsible for providing health guidance to all of the EU and North America. This isn't some fringe unqualified astrophysicist being asked for their opinion at random.

And I am still saying that the governments should close even minimal risk vectors. The scientists are NOT saying that it will make coronavirus worse if we close schools

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
It felt like a normal morning here in rural Devon. I had to take my wife to work, as although she will be furloughed later, some staff have to attend to sort things before they close, and the traffic levels were normal on the seven mile drive. We stopped at our local village for some groceries, and it was as busy as usual, but, the only shops there are essential, so it's reasonable that people are there to buy food. This is a far cry from lockdown 1 where the roads were deserted and seeing someone out in the village was a rare sight.

Oct 26, 2017
So what you're saying is they shouldn't listen to the scientists and doctors who have spent all their careers researching pandemics?I I'm sure the guidance wasn't provided lightly.

Given the way things are going in Europe and North America...

EDIT: To be clear, from what I understand the scientists have been calling for stricter measures before things got as bad as they are now, so it doesn't seem like the government is listening to them regardless.

But what's new.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
And I am still saying that the governments should close even minimal risk vectors. The scientists are NOT saying that it will make coronavirus worse if we close schools
From a pure public health perspective, we should absolutely shut down even the tiniest risk vectors. But those vectors also serve other, vital, social and even health purposes, and turning them off has consequences that - in the extreme - could be worse than leaving them open, at least in the longer term.

Of course schools are a source of transmission. But are they enough of a source of transmission to offset all the positive effects of keeping them open?

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
From a pure public health perspective, we should absolutely shut down even the tiniest risk vectors. But those vectors also serve other, vital, social and even health purposes, and turning them off has consequences that - in the extreme - could be worse than leaving them open, at least in the longer term.

Of course schools are a source of transmission. But are they enough of a source of transmission to offset all the positive effects of keeping them open?

This is pretty much where I'm at with the school situation, though for me it gets a bit sketchier up into college and uni. Having said that, we're too late to do anything about it now, they should never have reopened.