• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
GamesIndustry said:
Developed by Quantic Dream, sales of the game is roughly in-line with the performance of its last title, 2013's Beyond Two Souls. When you factor in the expected increase in digital download sales (which isn't included here) it's likely the game surpassed the performance of that title - although not by a huge margin.

However, it's well behind sales of 2010's Heavy Rain, which sold almost four times as many copies (in a box) than Detroit: Become Human.
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...roit-become-human-headlines-all-new-top-three

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know these are retail only numbers, but someone in the other thread mentioned Heavy Rain never had a digital release? Is that actually accurate?

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heavy Rain released earlier in the week.
It didn't and it it barely makes too much of a difference usually. Most of the sales come on day 1, so if we're making a direct comparison to Heavy Rain then it probably won't sell as much as Heavy Rain week 1 in 3 weeks time even unless there's some early price drops.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I know these are retail only numbers, but someone in the other thread mentioned Heavy Rain never had a digital release? Is that actually accurate?

This is correct, the only way to get the digital version is the PS4 version (or on PS Now).

Last edited:

Mondy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The word is out about David Cage games. It's not really a coincidence that Heavy Rain sells well then every subsequent game drops off a cliff in comparison.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I might still buy it but i need to finish God of War first. And i don't have a lot of time to play.

The word is out about David Cage games. It's not really a coincidence that Heavy Rain sells well then every subsequent game drops off a cliff in comparison.

The word is out that this is his best game, right?

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is very surprising. I was pretty sure it would be their best selling game yet.

Will wait for numbers on other markets before judging it but yeah... did not expect it.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
The word is out that this is his best game, right?

Which will probably result in better sales in the long run

Industrys different then it was before. Lots of competition for story driven games now, and for some the 'novelty may have worn off'.

Will just have to see how it does in the long term, buts its hardly surprising

Oct 29, 2017
I'll be picking up a copy hopefully on Friday. Definitely want to support what these guys are making. Hoping for good long time sales numbers, especially if a price drop happens.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought HR day 1, but quickly decided this type of game not worth day 1 prices.

I'll buy when £20ish.

Oct 30, 2017
I hope overall it sells as much as Heavny Rain.. this is the best game QD have ever produced and I hope the word of mouth helps to achieve that.

Amazing game really.

Nov 1, 2017
QD's novelty has clearly worn off and there are lots of other competitors in the narrative game space now. I like the game but I'm not too surprised by this.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
This is correct, you can only get the PS4 version digital (or on PS Now).
What are you talking about? The PS4 version of Heavy Rain did get a physical release (bundled with Beyond: Two Souls) but he's not talking about that, he's referring to the PS3 version, which was physical only. Not that a digital PS3 release would've changed anything, digital sales were tiny back then.

Anyway, if you factor in digital sales, Detroit did alright but nothing particularly impressive. I doubt Sony will share its sales numbers like they do with all their other prominent releases.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Beyond two souls kind of sucked?

Yeah it's hard to know how much that affected Detroit, but if you look at the history of game series like Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy VIII was the best selling one and it came after VII obviously.

Detroit is a far better game than Beyond but that doesn't always mean anything.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about? The PS4 version of Heavy Rain did get a physical release (bundled with Beyond: Two Souls) but he's not talking about that, he's referring to the PS3 version, which was physical only. Not that a digital PS3 release would've changed anything, digital sales were tiny back then.

Anyway, if you factor in digital sales, Detroit did alright but nothing particularly impressive. I doubt Sony will share its sales numbers like they do with all their other prominent releases.

I think you misread my post (though I can see that is ambigous enough to make the mistake) I meant to say the only way to get Heavy Rain digital is the PS4 version or on PS Now.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't imagine digital sales will be massive in UK, £52.99 digitally for a game like this is a tough sell.

Venom.

Oct 26, 2017
London
Heavy Rain sales were a long burner, if this is a good game then it could have legs too. It explores the whole android theme more in depth than a single movie can.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really, really loving the game so far. My wife is super interested in it as well and wants to play once I finish my playthrough. She's usually not all that interested in games so it's been fun.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why some people are surprised I'm not sure.

Detroit was never going to match HR, for a few of reasons.

1- HR was a big deal at the time, QDs first major foray into this style of game. It also wasn't loved by all and sentiment has probably soured for some too.II personally loved it though.

2 - Beyond wasn't too popular, while some people like it many thought it wasn't as good as HR (still need to play it myself).

3 - there has been the controversy about QD that would have put some off.

4 - this doesn't include digital sales which would be important since HR didn't have digital at the time of release.

The only thing in its favour was the marketing budget but that doesn't guarantee sales.

The good thing for QD is that they spend less on games then most big companies so they won't need as much return as some potentially do.