PipefishUK

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with dual nationality know how it works with regards to returning to the uk?

Daughter is planning to travel to Amsterdam in June and her passport expires in October- so less than 6 months (not sure why that's a thing but whatever)

Can she book and fly out using her Japanese passport and then return to the uk with that passport - or even just swap to her uk passport coming back?

She can do an express renewal but would be good to understand the rules. So far they've only ever used the Japanese passport to enter Japan and then the British passport when coming back so never into a third country

Technically you're supposed to use the passport of the country you're entering to enter that country.

So when I go to Spain I show any EU border person my Irish one and any UK border person my British one. That's what you're supposed to do.

There are actually signs now at the French passport control at Eurotunnel that say if you have dual nationality with UK and an EU country you MUST show your EU passport to the a French border guards, not your British one.

If she entered the UK on her Japanese one she'd be entering the UK as a Japanese person, not a British person. Although they couldn't kick her out because she's also a British citizen, it might complicate things. Just show only the UK one to any UK authority person.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Dammit. I might just be impatient, but I don't know whether my new AC is really doing anything. Left it on for a good hour and a half and there's not that noticeable a change in temperature. If I turn it off, the room just gets back to boiling in less time.

Fuck, I hate the Summer so much.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Dammit. I might just be impatient, but I don't know whether my new AC is really doing anything. Left it on for a good hour and a half and there's not that noticeable a change in temperature. If I turn it off, the room just gets back to boiling in less time.

I've never had AC, but aren't you supposed to set the room temp you want, then leave it on until it gets there? (and keep it on if you want it to stay there).

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Chances are that it's only just about powerful enough to take the edge off. Ratings on those things are a joke. I've had three supposedly rated at 12,500 btu and they were miles apart in effectiveness.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

First the obvious check - assuming you've got the temp set as low as it can possibly go (for me that's 16C) - does the air coming out of the thing feel very, very cold? Secondly, are you venting the hot exhaust efficiently? If the wind blows inwards on my window and dislodges my crafted exhaust panel, the hot air blows right back in and results in very little change to the room.

Also maybe it's not late/cool enough at 8:30 where you are to stay cool, if it is really working properly - as in, it gets actually cold while it's on - but then the room returns quickly to stifling heat when turned off. You'll figure out how to optimize it's usage I'm sure!

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022

Have you sealed that room - shut the doors, shut the window you're not venting out of?
Have you created a proper seal around the vent hose going out the window?
Once the room is down to the desired temperature, are you immediately pulling the hose and closing the window?
Have you drawn the curtains/blind if the room is sun-facing?

Do the above and in my experience a small room will be chilled in about 30 mins and stay that way, requring only 15-20 min top-ups every one to two hours.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Hekki Allmo, good sisters.

I've been playing a lot of 1000xResist this weekend and it's incredible.

Rjkav

Mar 19, 2024
For those interested, I have some new cubes completed! (I did post a while ago and some people seemed to appreciate it so thought some people may want to see some new work) :D

I graduated from hand cutting as I believe I would have caused myself serious pain doing all the cutting by hand, so managed to get a reasonably cheap Silhouette machine and it's been a god send!

The Zelda one took much longer because I had to build and blow out patterns in blender but, honestly, kinda worth it seeing it finished.

20240512-181415.jpg
20240504-165553.jpg

Matttimeo

Oct 26, 2017
For those interested, I have some new cubes completed! (I did post a while ago and some people seemed to appreciate it so thought some people may want to see some new work) :D

They're incredible, fantastic work. I played a lot of Links Awakening as a young'un so to see it in 3D is a real treat.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
It's cooler today down south but your bricks are currently radiating a bunch of heat into your house if it's been sunny. Also it was slightly warmer overnight because of the cloud that will make is 10C less hot than yesterday in about 6 hours.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
broke down and have busted out the air con this morning. Was trying to save it for the inevitable July/August heatwaves but after a morning stroll where it was much colder outside I have to cool down the internal air

It's cooler today down south but your bricks are currently radiating a bunch of heat into your house if it's been sunny. Also it was slightly warmer overnight because of the cloud that will make is 10C less hot than yesterday in about 6 hours.
Yeah my apartment is in a fairly energy efficient building so that heat gets trapped for a bit. Good for winter, rubbish for not-Winter.

Rjkav

Mar 19, 2024
They're incredible, fantastic work. I played a lot of Links Awakening as a young'un so to see it in 3D is a real treat.

You're too kind :D.

Honestly, with no word of a lie. If I listen to the Ballad of the Wind Fish and I'm feeling even remotely fragile, it can start me welling up. Those beeps and boops hit hard.

That game is such a well of nostalgia for me, thus the block :D

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
broke down and have busted out the air con this morning. Was trying to save it for the inevitable July/August heatwaves but after a morning stroll where it was much colder outside I have to cool down the internal air

Yeah my apartment is in a fairly energy efficient building so that heat gets trapped for a bit. Good for winter, rubbish for not-Winter.

Yep, for instance it's 7C cooler right now than yesterday outside.

My office here is 2C warmer.

VIPER

Nov 12, 2023

The temperature yesterday was unbearable.

I can't help but feel the UK weather is either really hot, or really cold.

I'm going to fish for quotes for wall mounted AC installation but I hope it isn't eye watering.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The temperature yesterday was unbearable.

I can't help but feel the UK weather is either really hot, or really cold.

I'm going to fish for quotes for wall mounted AC installation but I hope it isn't eye watering.

I don't think it was absolutely hot, but it was relatively hot. Its been so cold for so long that a big jump feels hotter than it really is. I think you'd adjust over a couple of weeks to that temp

VIPER

Nov 12, 2023
I don't think it was absolutely hot, but it was relatively hot. Its been so cold for so long that a big jump feels hotter than it really is. I think you'd adjust over a couple of weeks to that temp
Today's weather is perfect IMO and would be my ideal for the entire year around. I generally find anything above 25C to be uncomfortable. My thermostat indicated my indoor temp was 28C.

Unfortunately my house seems to trap heat once it warms up. The only region where you can get comfortable without any cooling is my kitchen - which is very well shaded.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
It's that, plus a lot of the UK is fairly humid so it feels much hotter than it does in foreign climes.

Anything over 17 degrees here (south west) and I'm not having a good time, yet hotter countries I enjoy 25 degrees or higher fairly easy.

VIPER

Nov 12, 2023
It's that, plus a lot of the UK is fairly humid so it feels much hotter than it does in foreign climes.

Anything over 17 degrees here (south west) and I'm not having a good time, yet hotter countries I enjoy 25 degrees or higher fairly easy.
Agreed. When I visited Cyprus (30C) it felt more tolerable than 25C in London.

Tamepalar

Jul 1, 2022
Living in a new build house with a south facing living room window. It heats up to ridiculous temps in the summer, last week was anywhere between 26c - 29c and a fan just doesn't cut it.

I've got the MeacoCool Pro 10000 sitting in my online basket, someone talk me out of spending £400 on one pls

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought that Meaco fan thanks to you fuckers, it seems decent enough but not much to really say about it. It is a lot quieter than the 80s fan I found in the loft

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Living room was reading about 21 degrees last night. Quite comfortable, plus having patio doors on one side and windows on the other, i'm able to create a channel to blow the heat out.

Office/games room, 26 degrees. Bedroom about the same. Meaco knocked it down a couple of degrees, was lovely.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
South facing living room with massive windows can be a right pita for managing temps downstairs. Kinda tempted to get an awning or something to cut down the really harsh high summer sun

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Broke out the aircon for the first time last night.

Only turned the heating off fully the week before.

Weird year.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Hades progress report!

I did some reading around about how to best get the use out of my Poseidon blade and now I'm completing runs fairly routinely, even somewhat effortlessly, at heat level 4.

Getting Athena's cast (guarranteed immediately with her keepsake) and just going mad with pom upgrades on it is basically long-range murder. Now, while Artemis' ability to deal damage when recalling cast crystals is still immensely useful, it's no longer necessary at all. Any boons other than Athena's cast is just delicious Olympian gravy on top. Zeus is a nice combo tho, especially if you can get their duo ability LightnIng Phalanx cast which makes the screen get deleted fairly quickly.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've never had AC, but aren't you supposed to set the room temp you want, then leave it on until it gets there? (and keep it on if you want it to stay there).

First the obvious check - assuming you've got the temp set as low as it can possibly go (for me that's 16C) - does the air coming out of the thing feel very, very cold? Secondly, are you venting the hot exhaust efficiently? If the wind blows inwards on my window and dislodges my crafted exhaust panel, the hot air blows right back in and results in very little change to the room.

Also maybe it's not late/cool enough at 8:30 where you are to stay cool, if it is really working properly - as in, it gets actually cold while it's on - but then the room returns quickly to stifling heat when turned off. You'll figure out how to optimize it's usage I'm sure!

Have you sealed that room - shut the doors, shut the window you're not venting out of?
Have you created a proper seal around the vent hose going out the window?
Once the room is down to the desired temperature, are you immediately pulling the hose and closing the window?
Have you drawn the curtains/blind if the room is sun-facing?

Do the above and in my experience a small room will be chilled in about 30 mins and stay that way, requring only 15-20 min top-ups every one to two hours.
Thanks for the tips and such! Though tbh I'm going to return it. Left it on for a good 3 hours last night, with my bedroom door shut, the window closed w/a seal (sealed as far as it can go), and the lowest temperature setting... and it didn't exactly do much. Also leaked a bit after lol.

I'm sure I'll find some way to cool my room one day. It's south-facing, so maybe some UV film for the windows will help stop it from getting that ridiculously hot to begin with.

Oct 28, 2017
Upside down
Thanks for the tips and such! Though tbh I'm going to return it. Left it on for a good 3 hours last night, with my bedroom door shut, the window closed w/a seal (sealed as far as it can go), and the lowest temperature setting... and it didn't exactly do much. Also leaked a bit after lol.

I'm sure I'll find some way to cool my room one day. It's south-facing, so maybe some UV film for the windows will help stop it from getting that ridiculously hot to begin with.
The mirrored reflective film is good, it made a noticeable difference at my old place. I had this.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017

It's probably a bit of a dud then, can you link the specific model? Mine is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amcor-Portable-Conditioning-Mobile-Conditioner/dp/B00WGYWTWK/

My room is also south-facing, it can get horrendous in here as the sun sets it just gets the angle more and more perfect and ramps up the heat... but after 30 mins of running this I can be reaching for a hoodie! I have optimized things over the years though - it sits in a lid from of those huge tesco transparent plastic crates, to catch the condensation drips. It is right next to the window to minimize the pipe required. I've got a huge white cardboard "reflector" I cobbled together covering the main window during summer to cut down the incoming sun a lot.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It's probably a bit of a dud then, can you link the specific model? Mine is this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amcor-Portable-Conditioning-Mobile-Conditioner/dp/B00WGYWTWK/

My room is also south-facing, it can get horrendous in here as the sun sets it just gets the angle more and more perfect and ramps up the heat... but after 30 mins of running this I can be reaching for a hoodie! I have optimized things over the years though - it sits in a lid from of those huge tesco transparent plastic crates, to catch the condensation drips. It is right next to the window to minimize the pipe required. I've got a huge white cardboard "reflector" I cobbled together covering the main window during summer to cut down the incoming sun a lot.
This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NPNK4TG/

I'm thinking 5000BTU might be a bit too low, so when I get a new one it'll be of a higher power. Like the idea of the plastic crate, and I'll definitely be getting some sort of reflector/UV film to help things as well.

And yep, having a south-facing room is just so bad. Going from by back garden to the front of my house, where my bedroom is, is like stepping off the plane in a hot country for the first time. And I get that with really good insulation :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
5000BTU should handle approx 10sqm room. Roughly speaking chop off the zeroes and multiply by 2 to get square metres of cooling

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
Saw the Spirited Away stageplay at the London Coliseum yesterday. Fantastic adaptation - really recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the original. The costume design and prop work by the stage actors were flawless. Just try to avoid booking a Sunday matinée performance - kids kept standing up to try and read the subtitles as the show was in Japanese which got annoying.

VIPER

Nov 12, 2023
I got a quote to install air conditioning in four rooms in my house. An eye watering £14,000.

Yeah - will hold out this summer I think...

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
This is the one I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NPNK4TG/

I'm thinking 5000BTU might be a bit too low, so when I get a new one it'll be of a higher power. Like the idea of the plastic crate, and I'll definitely be getting some sort of reflector/UV film to help things as well.

And yep, having a south-facing room is just so bad. Going from by back garden to the front of my house, where my bedroom is, is like stepping off the plane in a hot country for the first time. And I get that with really good insulation :(
Yeah would def guess that 5K BTU is too low to combat south-facing windows, It's hard to know what these actually mean, but if it's "less than half as effective as 12k" there's no way that'd deal with the incoming sun in my situation, but 12k does very effectively (so long as the seal is alright and the "blinds" are up, anyway). And at night it's super quick when it's more "dump heat to the cold outside".

I got a quote to install air conditioning in four rooms in my house. An eye watering £14,000.

Yeah - will hold out this summer I think...
Oof!

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yeah would def guess that 5K BTU is too low to combat south-facing windows, It's hard to know what these actually mean, but it it's "less than half as effective as 12k" there's no way that'd deal with the incoming sun in my situation, but 12k does very effectively (so long as the seal is alright and the "blinds" are up, anyway). And at night it's super quick when it's more "dump heat to the cold outside".
Cool, thanks! I'll return the current unit (hopefully they take it, but shouldn't really be any issue) and get a higher-BTU one. Will also look into getting an acrylic sheet for the seal, instead of just using the crappy £10 plastic seal I got from Amazon. More expensive, but will do a far better job.

I think you're right in that my specific room is just a lot for any AC to handle. It's south-facing, completely sandwiched in between 2 floors (we have an attic room) and 2 houses, and has walls literally 2-foot wide providing amazing insulation. All with a bunch of consoles and such pumping out even more hot air. It's not amazing lol.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
our wall mounted is only 12000BTU (3.5kw) and handles our south facing maybe 20sqm living room ok. Got to keep the doors closed ideally but also being a wall mounted unit its probalby more efficient